ouch....

Finally got my hudu mounted

Since prices went up, I picked up a wire bead hudu few months back. Couldn't get it to seat tubeless. Left it on my extra rim with a tube for the past couple weeks to get it straight.
    Used a tube to seat one side, then the other popped in place. Yay!!
    Fresh rubber up front, moved old front to back. The back one was quite worn and lots of internal patches.
    Riding.....

Pirate!!!
    I'm not overly stoked with my Hudu's. I also have the 27tpi versions, because that is all that was available six months ago. Anyway, the rear tire has never ran true, they were a ***** to mount tubeless, and after what I would consider a fairly easy life the threads are showing on the sidewall. Also, only moderate traction, even for a Fatbike tire.

mtbr member

I have a hudu 27tpi as well. I put it on after the snow melted. Granted, I ride it a lot, but it won't have another season in it. I love the performance, but I won't be having another, I need something tougher.

ouch....
    I can't complain about life of tire, this set likely has over 3k miles. Put new on front, moved front to back. Back was more worn for sure.
    Still more grip worn than new Larry or endo.
    Riding.....

ouch....
    By the time I'm ready for another tire, hopefully there will be more options.
    Riding.....

Pirate!!!
    Is the 120tpi more durable than the 27?

mtbr member

^^^ scratch that, flip it around, and you've got it. 120tpi is lighter, yes. More supple, yes, with better trail connection....yes. Tougher, no.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I have loved the performance of my 120 HuDus. I don't know if all 120 tires feel the same, but I love the suppleness of the HuDus I have. I ride the year round, offroad only, mostly loam or clay-ish soil with plenty of rocks and roots. I make it a point to stay OFF of pavement. I was a bit annoyed to see threads starting to show on the sidewalls (mostly the rear), but Shiggy said it is no big deal. My tread is doing quite well.

Those tires are hanging now, replaced to test my new Floaters. Threads started showing after only a couple of rides. Still annoys me, but I'll stick with Shiggy's advice and carry on. They certainly started flapping way sooner than my HuDus threaded.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    No threads on my 120 HuDus after 6 of 12 months on them but then I'm mostly riding trails and I seem to run much higher pressures than most (up to a whole 12psi sometimes - wooo me! )

mtbr member

I run lower pressures than that for sure. I should clarify by saying that my tread is holding up pretty well, it's the threads in the sidewall as others described. Running tubeless though, I've had a bit of extra seepage through the sidewalls. I'm going to run them until they don't go anymore, at this price, what choice do I have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I need something tougher.
    more testing first.

mtbr member

Exactly. I bought it as soon as it came out. Had I waited and seen the longevity reviews, I never would have bought one. Live and learn. Still a pretty fast rolling tire with gobs of grip.