mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A few random questions regarding tires, wheels, and forks

I just bought a bike that was built with an 135mm qr origin 8 carbon fork which will only accept 4.0 tires. I would like a carbon fork recommendation for 4.8 tires.

I am looking for the tallest 4.8 tires. I would like to raise the BB which is incredibly low for me. Iím thinking Surly Bud and Lou. Current tires are JJ 4.0.

I have I9 hubs and I am assuming I can replace the front 135mm qr axle with a 135mm or 150mm thru axle. Am I correct?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You might want to look for a used fork off a Specialized fatboy it is 135mm QR and fits a very wide tire (I think 4.8s but you should verify). Scour ebay or classifieds here and pink bike bet you will find something.

EDIT (not mine just posting as example): Very Quick look on ebay found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Special...IAAOSw3fZaQW1n
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    I have I9 hubs and I am assuming I can replace the front 135mm qr axle with a 135mm or 150mm thru axle. Am I correct?

Thanks!
    Your 135mm I9 hub could not easily convert to 150mm most likely. You might be able to find a way to make it work, but I cannot find the old Hauck spacers anywhere. Apparently they made some for I9, but the best I could find was a nearly 2yr old ebay listing. Your best bet would be to call I9 and ask exactly what conversion options you have for the exact hub you have.

Now, if your primary goal is to raise your bb, you don't necessarily have to put a 5" tire on the bike. You could replace the fork you have with another that has a longer axle-crown dimension, which will raise the front end of the bike, also. Looks like your Origin8 fork has an axle-crown of 465mm.

Additional questions for you - can your bike accept tapered steerers, or is yours straight?

mtbr member
    Would using a fork to raise the front end affect handling in a way that raising both front and rear via larger tires wouldn't?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Your 135mm I9 hub could not easily convert to 150mm most likely. You might be able to find a way to make it work, but I cannot find the old Hauck spacers anywhere. Apparently they made some for I9, but the best I could find was a nearly 2yr old ebay listing. Your best bet would be to call I9 and ask exactly what conversion options you have for the exact hub you have.

Now, if your primary goal is to raise your bb, you don't necessarily have to put a 5" tire on the bike. You could replace the fork you have with another that has a longer axle-crown dimension, which will raise the front end of the bike, also. Looks like your Origin8 fork has an axle-crown of 465mm.

Additional questions for you - can your bike accept tapered steerers, or is yours straight?
    Thanks! I talked to Industry Nine and it converting the hub to fit a 150mm fork can be done, but the wheel would need to be dished.

The bike, Lynskey Fatskey, will take a tapered steerer and the geometry listed is with a 100mm suspension fork, with sag would be around 485mm axle to crown. I have decided to replace my fork with a 485mm or greater axle to crown fork. I am looking for suggestions for a fork. If a 135mm wide fork with a 485mm axle to crown that can handle 4.8 wide tires exists, that is probably my best bet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Would using a fork to raise the front end affect handling in a way that raising both front and rear via larger tires wouldn't?
    The fork that is on the bike is actually shorter from axle to crown than what the bike is designed around, so Iím ok with a longer fork.

mtbr member
    Good deal.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish