mtbr member

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10

There is a bit of info here and there about these fatbikes, but nothing centralized in one thread. So let's start a thread about all things Felt fatbikes. Mods that work, mods that don't work and things we like and don't like about them.

Here is a thread that was started specifically about the DD70, but spilled into the DD30 as well. It's been dormant. I'm putting it here because it contains useful info about the two models.

Felt Double Double 70

There are three models for 2016: the DD70 (black), the DD30 (blue) and the DD10 (army green).

I've owned a DD30 for a few months now. I really like it. To me, the bike is well spec'd at a good price.

I find the Deore brakes to have excellent modulation. The carbon bar dampens vibration very well. The 15x150 and 12x197 thru-axle hubs allow for Bluto and tire upgrades. The Jumbo Jim 4.0s supplied with the bike roll well, are very light and I find them to be great all-around tires. They will be replaced by a second set of tires for winter riding (Nates for the time being, but likely something bigger soon now that I own a fatbike that can take bigger tires).

I like the way it rides, and I like the way it looks.

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-11222159_10153621254128762_3889984761143620119_o.jpg The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_20151031_082309-01.jpegThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-1445812925341.jpg

I added a few purple parts to the bike. Straitline De Facto pedals, Salsa seat collar, Salsa stem cap, and some purple Duck tape on the rims for good measure:

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-2015-10-31-11.21.33.jpg

I went on a short bikepacking trip a few weeks back and tried fitting a rear rack to carry some of my gear. First, I tried to fit an Axiom Fatliner rack, but the rack does not fil properly, at least not stock. The Axiom rack sat way too high up, as high as my saddle. This is because the Fatliner rack is made to be attached to eyelets that are located where the chainstays and seatstays meet, right above the QR or thru-axle. The DD30 has eyelets that are located higher than that, on the seatstays, right above the brake calipers.

I found a rack that works well with the DD30, at least with my small frame: the Surly rear rack. It clears the 4.0 tire with a ton of room to spare. I bent the rack sides outward just a tiny bit (it's steel, so it's all good) so that I could attach the rack to the eyelets on the inside of the frame. I used V-brake spacers to fill in the gap between the frame and the rack.

The rack arms that came with the Surly rack were too short, so I used the Axiom rack arms instead (280mm long).

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-2015-09-25-16.59.50.jpg
    The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-2015-09-25-17.00.13.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-2015-09-25-17.00.02.jpg

I have a few questions for fellow DD owners:

- Has anyone gone tubeless with the stock rims?

- How do Bud/Lou or the Beists fit in the frame?

mtbr member
    The DDs seem to be popular in Europe. I found DD threads on MTB forums in Germany and Finland. I can't read either language, but Google translate does an OK job. You get the gist anyway .

Felt Double Double | MTB-News.de

Felt Double Double

I was going through the German thread and found pictures of a DD30 with Jumbo Jim 4.8s on stock rims (at p. 37) :

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-fotor_143490117133042-3-.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-fotor_14349050107168.jpg

In that post, the guys says the JJs were mounted with tubes, at 14.5 PSI (1 bar), the tires measured 112mm wide, 755mm height. He said there is a slight chain rub in lowest gear.

This other guy (at pp. 38 and 40 of the same thread) put Jumbo Jim 4.8s on 90mm rims. He claims they fit well (no mention of rubbing), the tires were measured at 113mm wide and there was a 7mm clearance on each side of the frame. See for yourself:

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-1852884-bo3kfhc4m74i-wp_20150621_20_34_56_pro-large.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-1852886-sh6x78awmna0-wp_20150621_20_34_44_pro-large.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    OP: what's your height/inseam?

I've seen the bike in person and the paint job is amazing.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I ride a small. The DD has a long effective top tube. I tried a medium and it's too big for me, even with a short stem.

I agree, the paint job is striking.

I couldn't resist posting another picture from the German thread (at p. 35). Here is a DD30 with BFLs on silver Clown Shoes:

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-fotor_143129213795382.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We're the same height but 28" inseam. Do you have clearance? This is what worries me the most. I wished Felt would re-think on making XS sizes in their FBs.

mtbr member
    I have standover but obviously not as much as on some other fatbikes with sloping toptubes à la 9zero7, Norco, etc.

With a 28" inseam at 5'7", you must have a long torso. IMO, you'd fit well on a small DD, but the only way to find out is to try one out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simasona View Post

I have a few questions for fellow DD owners:

- Has anyone gone tubeless with the stock rims?

- How do Bud/Lou or the Beists fit in the frame?
    1. Tried several times to go tubeless with the stock rims - failed both times because of the silly little bead seat that is on this rim. It is narrow and rounded - so while at high pressure (15 psi), it will pop onto the seat and stay on - the tire literally falls off the bead as you lower pressure < 10psi.

The solution was to buy a set of DT BR2250 wheels.

2. This guy fits a lou on a Nextie 90mm rim and still has clearance.
    The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_6457.jpg

There is even more clearance in the fork.

I love my DD30. Bought it in Feb 15 and ended up riding it all summer. I've added BR2250 wheels, a Jones loop bar and a Chinese carbon fork.

I've weighed many of the parts, but have the listing at home. Off the top of my head:
    Bars: 175g
    Fork: 1400g (with steerer for XL frame)
    Front wheel: 1450g
    Rear wheel: 1600g
    and my JJ 4.0 tires are just over 1100g each.

mtbr member
    Hey Scot, I'd seen your post on the Fat Bikes FB page last night and thought it'd be great to see your input here! Nice upgrades you've done to your bike. What's the fork like? Is this an Ebay find? It'd be great if you could list the other parts you've weighted when you get a chance.

So, based on your experience, it's possible to run the stock wheels tubeless, just not a low pressures... Which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it! What techniques did you try? Did you try it with the JJs 4.0 or with other tires? I've read about a guy on a French Mtb forum who was able to set them up ghetto tubeless, but there was no mention about running low pressures...

Good to know that Lou fits in the back. There's no issue running Bud up front, the stock fork is so wide! A friend of mine runs Bud and Lou in the winter, I'll see if I can borrow them for a few days to try 'em out when we get snow.

mtbr member
    The fork was $180 from a supplier that posts in the FB fatbike forums - but I'm not ready to recommend it just yet. It's built well except I don't like the axle they sent with it - its diameter is slightly smaller than the 12mm axle that comes with our forks - and the thread is different. This bugs me because it leaves a little "slop" between the axle and hub interface which makes it necessary to rely on the clamping load of the skewer to keep the front wheel tight. The axle has a weird / clunky / delicate interface that seems like it could break easily if it was over-tightened.

With respect to running tubeless on the stock wheels - I don't know if I would trust the tires to stay inflated when I rode it. I only had tried it with the Jumbo Jims - but I currently am using the rims to hold a set of snowshoe XL's while I stud them. I was going to take a video last night while I pulled the valve core and the tire deflated to see if it fell off the rim as it deflated. If I have time tonight, I'll give that a try to see how the Vee Rubber does.

mtbr member
    It'd be great if you could list the other parts you've weighted when you get a chance.
    From the other thread:
    Tires: 1090g & 1048g
    seat: 268g
    tubes: 428g & 434g
    Cassette: 380g
    stem: 148g

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! For the time being, I replaced the tubes with extralight Q-tubes (made by Kenda) at about 250g. each. The rest of the bike is stock.

How did the Snowshoe XLs hold up? Did you have better luck than with the JJs?

Are you happy with the DT Swiss wheelset?

mtbr member
    I haven't run the XL's yet - waiting for snow.
    My JJ's are still doing awesome and don't show much wear for ~500 miles of use.

Super happy with the wheelset - noticed an immediate difference in how the bike rode, but to tell you the truth, the OEM wheelset is still pretty sweet - and tempting me to build another bike around them.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    well I have a dd70 and a Bluto fork,upgraded disks and shimano hyd.brakes and love the bike so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

felt dd70

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-cimg1142.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed40 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1142.jpg 
Views:	1639 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	1033844
    Nice bike! The black frame looks great. Is that a 100mm or 120mm Bluto?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    120mm,it helped ALOT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    hello all, here is my DD10, had it since october and i love it. only changed the grips and pedals so far, the four mudguards are from various places including the rear which i made myself. pictured here on a local wildlife reserve a couple of days ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-imag0040.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Felt DD30 official video

mtbr member
    I was able to borrow Bud and Lou for a few days, great fit on the stock rims. No rubbing at low pressures (about 4-5 psi). It was my first experience on 5" tires. Needless to say, it was very positive!

I also added a basic KS eTen-R dropper post. I like it. It works well so far all the way to -10C. It slowed down for me at -15C, but it still worked.

Here is a pic taken this morning in Gatineau Park, Québec.

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-sp_20160102_121251.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice picture! Still waiting on snow...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone put 27.5+ wheels on their DD yet? Or maybe even 29"?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Anyone put 27.5+ wheels on their DD yet? Or maybe even 29"?
    Kryten, both 27.5+ and 29+ should fit. The bike was designed to take 26x4.8s like Bud and Lou. There is absolutely no issue with respect to a 27.5+ 3" tire, which is approx. equivalent in diameter to a 26x4.0" tire. It should also fit a 29+ 3" tire, which is just a little taller than a 4.8".

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-15_sept_ontheplusside_header2.jpg

For example:

A Nate on an 82mm rim is said to measure 749mm in diameter.
    A Bud on an 82mm rim is said to measure 762 in diameter.
    A Knard 29x3.0 tire will have a diameter or 779.4mm (at 19psi).
    A Knard 3.0 tire on a Velocity P35 will have a diameter of 778.6mm.

Oh, yeah, since we're on the topic of tire sizes that fit on the Felt, it seems that you can fit a 26x 5.05 2XL up front:

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-12553067_10207307820186265_4057586942653837724_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Update on my DD30, 7 months in

An update on my Felt DD30:

I bought a DD30 in October and enjoyed riding it on trails waiting for the winter to arrive here in the Northeast. I went out and bought a set of Vee Snowshoe XL Studded 4.8" tires so I could attack both trails and roads in the ice-fest that southern New England (particularly near the coastline) is famous for -- further north, there's minimal icing because things don't thaw and re-freeze as often.

Of course, the winter was a complete bust after three brutal winters in a row. I went out in all three of the storms that dumped more than 1" in our area (only one was decent at 8") so I put a grand total of about 27 miles on the $320 worth of snow tires, about the same cost per mile as driving a Lamborghini Aventador. Sigh.

In early March, I saw a blog post with some orange 4.0" tires, which I first thought were a little ridiculous, but which I eventually realized were a great complementary color to the blue paint on the DD30. Took a surprising amount of effort but I was finally able to track down a pair, though I don't think they'll have any more because they seem to have made a small batch as a one-off, rather than introducing it as an ongoing product.

I ended up accessorizing the bike with orange bottle cages and grips, orange and blue bottles and with Crank Brothers Double Shot pedals (in orange), which have SPD clips on one side and platforms on the other, giving me flexibility in how I ride. Now I can bomb around town in Nike's or I can clip in for longer rides, which is really cool. The original tubes had orange screw-on caps, which was a nice extra. I thought about orange rim strips but a) Surly is out of stock for the season and b) it probably won't look good if the color of the strip and tire are not a close match.

Am still happy with the bike. The common complaint of rims that won't support tubeless is not relevant to me since I haven't yet decided to take the leap. I'm thinking that I may rebuild the wheels in the fall, mostly to get a Shutter Precision fat bike dynamo on the front, making it easier to ride at night in winter, in case I get caught out late coming back from a ride. If I'm gonna do that, then I should also get the rear wheel hand built at the same time just to make it last longer, since I'm 6'0" and 250 and tend to trash wheels. At that point, given the cost of the gen hub and the labor to rebuild the wheels, it's no big deal to put tubeless-ready rims on there.

The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-494eb164-929e-4a90-8139-2e3ca46e2621.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-7f484169-0643-4e4c-be10-8281198f13fe.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow KidCharlemagne, I dig the orange and blue combination!

I've used Deore LX and XT Shimano dynamo hubs on my commuter bikes for the past 6 years. I've paired them up with B+M lights. I'm very happy with them. I've heard great things about SP dynamos, I have no doubt you'd be happy with it.

One thing that I've noticed with my Shimano dynamo hub+B+M combo is that at low speed, the LED light doesn't really shine, it flickers. This happens, for example, when I'm climbing a steep hill. If you're a slow, diesel-type climber, you might find this flickering annoying. If you're a mountain goat, though, this would be a non-issue

mtbr member
    Hi guys, anyone tell me if im able to fit a dropper post with internal cable to my DD10, such as reverb stealth and what size the diamater, is it 34.9?

Thanks
    Current Bike:
    Felt DD 10 Fatbike 2016
    Past Bikes:
    Cube LTD SL 27.5 Blackline 2015

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the DD10, but I was able to make an internal dropper work on my DD30. I'm using a 30.9mm Thomson post with the cable routed through the old front derailleur holes.
    Howell, Michigan

mtbr member
    hi scot,

thanks for reply

yeh thats what i was thinking, running the cable through the holes for the front derailer, ive never fitted cables internally before, is it easy enough to do, any special tools needed?

My local dealer seems to think its a 34.9 seat post, but on the Felt website it says:

Felt carbon shaft w/ forged head, micro-adjust, 15mm offset, Ø30.9 SM (350MM) MD/LG (400MM)

so ive emailed Felt direct, just awaiting a reply

cheers
    Current Bike:
    Felt DD 10 Fatbike 2016
    Past Bikes:

mtbr member
    Well, as i typed this I recieved a response from Felt:

The DD10 fatbike is not able to accommodate a dropper post with internal cables. It doesn’t have the proper access from the down tube into the seat tube.

How did you manage to install yours?

cheers!
    Current Bike:
    Felt DD 10 Fatbike 2016
    Past Bikes:

mtbr member
    If you take the bottom bracket out, you can see where both downtube and seattube extend into the BB shell. I notched the tubes with a dremel grinder to let the cable transition / bend easier. The DD30 comes with a front derailleur that I removed to go 1x10, so I had the openings in the frame for that - I don't know how that's done on the DD10 with 1x already used.
    Howell, Michigan

mtbr member
    Hiya :-)

Great stuff thanks for reply, on my frame it has the holes for the front derailer cables so i can use them, is bottom bracket easy enough to take out, never actually took one out before!

Thanks again :-)
    Current Bike:
    Felt DD 10 Fatbike 2016
    Past Bikes:

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    On my DD70 I'm using a KS Supernatural dropper and its 30.9mm The cable is external so I can't help you there.
    With the right tool (16-notch 44mm OD) the Bottom Bracket just screws out. Remember the drive side is left hand thread.
    Edster75 had an issue with the threads in his bottom bracket being booger-ed up when he took it off for the first time.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, im going to my local bike shop as they said they will fit it for me for around £20 :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

fatbike bike hub spacing

Kryten, both 27.5+ and 29+ should fit. The bike was designed to take 26x4.8s like Bud and Lou. There is absolutely no issue with respect to a 27.5+ 3" tire, which is approx. equivalent in diameter to a 26x4.0" tire. It should also fit a 29+ 3" tire, which is just a little taller than a 4.8".

Name:	15_Sept_OnThePlusSide_header2.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	1045982

For example:

A Nate on an 82mm rim is said to measure 749mm in diameter.
    A Bud on an 82mm rim is said to measure 762 in diameter.
    A Knard 29x3.0 tire will have a diameter or 779.4mm (at 19psi).
    A Knard 3.0 tire on a Velocity P35 will have a diameter of 778.6mm.

Oh, yeah, since we're on the topic of tire sizes that fit on the Felt, it seems that you can fit a 26x 5.05 2XL up front:

Name:	12553067_10207307820186265_4057586942653837724_n.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1045985
    found this article on bikerumour trying to figure out how to fit 27.5 x 3" and what to source

pete
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the info! For the time being, I replaced the tubes with extralight Q-tubes (made by Kenda) at about 250g. each.
    Did you happen to weigh the stock tubes? I'm curious what the weight difference is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Have any DD30 owners gotten their seatpost replaced as part of the recall? I'm curious if the replacement is still carbon fiber or if it's something less desirable. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...ber-Seatposts/

mtbr member
    I have not - I have a dropper and I put a thudbuster on my GF's DD30 - so I have two CF seatposts I need to take to a felt dealer and get replaced. The post on the 2016 is aluminum, so I'd bet that's what the replacement is.
    Howell, Michigan

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Tubeless

Hi, my first post here. I've read the discussions and taken on board advise from yee guys. Thanks.
    I've had the same problem getting the tyre to seat tubeless on the tiny bead wall without high pressure. I even filled the centre cavity with foam and tape. No good.
    I resorted to rebuilding, so I kept my standard hubs. Rebuilt the wheels with good quality DT swiss spokes and 80mm Mulefut rims.
    Perfection!
    Mounted 4.8 Maxxis Minions.
    Currently running 8psi rear and 9 front with the bluto.
    Now tubeless is a breeze & loads of clearance for the 4.8s.
    The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_20160818_210026.jpg
    Last edited by Budweiserfrogie; 08-19-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Bad spelling.

mtbr member
    Great looking bike! Pedals and cages complement well.

Also, the new models are up on the website.

mtbr member

Other two new colors I don't really care for, however, I think this looks killer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I see no real details on exactly which rims they've used. But hopefully they've changed. It cost me plenty to rebuild my wheels so I could go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Has anyone put hydros on a 70? Curious about spacers for the caliper mounts. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I put a set of Shimano SLX M675 brakes and RT66 rotors 180mm front and 160mm rear.
    Just reused the spacer that came with the bike for the front. No spacer needed for the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orangutanracer View Post
    I put a set of Shimano SLX M675 brakes and RT66 rotors 180mm front and 160mm rear.
    Just reused the spacer that came with the bike for the front. No spacer needed for the rear.

Cool thanks. How is it routing the brake line thru the frame? I don't have my bike yet it's on it's way so I can't visually see how it would be. I'm guessing they fit just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler900 View Post
    Cool thanks. How is it routing the brake line thru the frame? I don't have my bike yet it's on it's way so I can't visually see how it would be. I'm guessing they fit just fine.
    It was easy. I just attached/taped the new brake line to the old brake cable housing and pushed the new line threw the frame while gently pulling out the old cable and housing. Then I cut off the extra line, put on an olive and the connecting insert, reconnected the line to brake lever, and bled the brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Zee 4pots fit grand too.
    Just be careful with that rear bolt on the back brake.
    It's difficult to get at as its close to the frame. can be easy to crosstread and damage the frame mount.
    The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_20160813_234927.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_20160813_234907.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    That rear caliper mounting screw was a pain.
    I started the screw with my fingers to be sure it wasn't cross threaded. I used a hex bit in a 1/4" socket and a long 1/4" drive extension to clear the frame to tighten it with a ratchet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orangutanracer View Post
    It was easy. I just attached/taped the new brake line to the old brake cable housing and pushed the new line threw the frame while gently pulling out the old cable and housing. Then I cut off the extra line, put on an olive and the connecting insert, reconnected the line to brake lever, and bled the brakes.
    So the line will fit thru the frame with the banjo fitting on it then, that is what I was curious about more than anything else. I should have my bike in a few days. I cant wait. First fat bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler900 View Post
    So the line will fit thru the frame with the banjo fitting on it then, that is what I was curious about more than anything else. I should have my bike in a few days. I cant wait. First fat bike.
    No the banjo fitting won't fit threw the frame.
    The brakes came with an extra olive and connecting insert but no extra banjo washers. So I left the banjo fitting on the caliper alone. I cut off the fitting that attaches to the lever and taped the new brake line to the old brake cable housing and fed it threw starting from the rear of the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Cool, thanks for the info. Where did you order the from? I see them all over ebay as take offs, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I got them from JensonUSA. They were $59 a set. Looks like prices have gone up a little since then.

Bzh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm interesting by your modification about the rim to convert in tubeless. Is it possible to keep with the same spoke when you install the mulefut rim ?
    Did you have the parts number of the DT spoke ?
    Regards
    Bzh

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi Bzh. I wouldn't bother using the old spokes. Just cut them out. The cost of the time to remove them all carefully wouldn't be worth the trouble. I've asked my local bike shop for the part numbers of the spokes and brass nipples. They didnt cost a lot as far as i think. So I'll let you know soon.

Bzh
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiserfrogie View Post
    Hi Bzh. I wouldn't bother using the old spokes. Just cut them out. The cost of the time to remove them all carefully wouldn't be worth the trouble. I've asked my local bike shop for the part numbers of the spokes and brass nipples. They didnt cost a lot as far as i think. So I'll let you know soon.
    Ok, thanks.
    I have tried to find the "erd" of the felt rim without success.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi Everyone,

First post here after lurking for a while- thanks to people in this thread for posting pictures and giving info already.

NBD! Felt DD 10 - Imgur

I picked up a DD10 a couple of weeks ago. I really, really like this bike a lot. I've taken this on a bunch of trails around the Twin Cities and the thing absolutely shreds like no fat bike I've ridden before. One thing that I wanted to pass on, because I didn't see this info on Felt's website or any other reviews, the wheels on all the DDs now are tubeless ready. My dealer told me this but having not seen anything confirming this I wanted to contact Felt directly and pass it on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Good news. The 2016 rims were terrible. No way you could keep the beed on that tiny edge at low pressure. Added a big cost to those of us who want low pressure tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What's the bottom bracket height of the Felt DD?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Bottom Bracket Drop is 65
    Bottom Bracket Height will depend on what wheels and tires you are running.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Has anyone mounted 4.8" Big Fat Knards on a Double Double? Wondering if there's enough clearance without any rub. I'm looking for the widest tire I can get without any rub, mostly for street and occasional beach riding. Any additional confirmations that Buds and Jumbo Jims fit without rub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmtamm View Post
    Has anyone mounted 4.8" Big Fat Knards on a Double Double? Wondering if there's enough clearance without any rub. I'm looking for the widest tire I can get without any rub, mostly for street and occasional beach riding. Any additional confirmations that Buds and Jumbo Jims fit without rub?
    I have a 2016 DD30. I ran my friend's Bud and Lou on stock rims for a couple of weeks last winter. No rubbing. I also have been running JJs 4.8s on stock rims for a few months this fall. No rubbing either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a 2016 DD30. I ran my friend's Bud and Lou on stock rims for a couple of weeks last winter. No rubbing. I also have been running JJs 4.8s on stock rims for a few months this fall. No rubbing either.
    Awesome, thanks. I wonder if there is more clearance on the 2016 than the 2015? I've got a 2015 DD30 and I recall someone on the thread earlier posting about JJs causing slight chain rub in the lowest gear on a 2015.

mtbr member
    I recall someone on the thread earlier posting about JJs causing slight chain rub in the lowest gear on a 2015.
    I didn't think that there were differences between the 2015 and 2016 models, except for that recalled carbon seatpost. But I may be wrong. My bike is the first one in this thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I just changed to 4.8" Snowshoe XL studded on my DD30 for the winter (with the original 80mm rims) and had tons of clearance, so much so that I was starting to fantasise about 2XL, but that is probably a step too far.

2016 model btw, and everything stock so far (2x10) and no chain rub, not even close.
    Last edited by zzoebl; 11-15-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Additional info

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Bought a dd70 a few months ago and loving it. We have really sandy trails here so really helps massively with that.

I want to put a dropper post on my bike i have a medium sized frame. I had some issues with the seat post however when I bought the bike originally as I couldn't drop the seat enough as the back of the thread where the water carrier bolts go in protrude in to the seat tube shaft not allowing the seat to drop further. I am worried this will also affect the dropper post.

What options have you guys gone with , have any of you found this issue with the bolts?

Cheers

Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by B3njamm1n View Post

What options have you guys gone with , have any of you found this issue with the bolts?
    I just finished installing a KS LEV DX 125mm dropper on my DD30. I have a medium frame as well and I had the exact problem you experienced. I can't recall exactly, but I think it was just a bit more than 22cm from the top of the seat tube down to the carrier bolts.

So if you get a dropper that does not require to be inserted more than 22cm you should be fine, you can look at the measurements below:

http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...DX-drawing.PDF

I have my 125 all the way down to the collar with no issue. That is 201mm into the seat tube.

Bottom line, if you buy a dropper that does not require to be inserted more than 22cm you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zzoebl View Post
    I just finished installing a KS LEV DX 125mm dropper on my DD30. I have a medium frame as well and I had the exact problem you experienced. I can't recall exactly, but I think it was just a bit more than 22cm from the top of the seat tube down to the carrier bolts.

So if you get a dropper that does not require to be inserted more than 22cm you should be fine, you can look at the measurements below:

http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...DX-drawing.PDF

I have my 125 all the way down to the collar with no issue. That is 201mm into the seat tube.

Bottom line, if you buy a dropper that does not require to be inserted more than 22cm you should be fine.
    Thanks man, massively appreciate the info really helps.

What diameter did you get for our hike just want to make sure I don't make a stupid mistake when ordering.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks man, massively appreciate the info really helps.

What diameter did you get for our hike just want to make sure I don't make a stupid mistake when ordering.

Cheers
    Glad I could help, diameter is 30.9mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Having a problem with my dd, I can't seem to work out where it's coming from, but there is a really loud creaking noise that seems to be coming from inside the frame when I pedal. The harder I push down on the pedals (particularly the right one) the louder the creaking becomes. Going to take the bottom bracket off tomorrow to see if anything going on there.

The noise is so annoying when riding especially being OCD.

Has anyone experienced this at all and could anyone advise on what to check.

Cheers in advace

Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I would check the cranks, take them off and put some grease in there, I haven't had this issue on my DD30, but on other bikes with this issue it helped.

Quick google search: Stop creaky cranks

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiserfrogie View Post
    Hi, my first post here. I've read the discussions and taken on board advise from yee guys. Thanks.
    I've had the same problem getting the tyre to seat tubeless on the tiny bead wall without high pressure. I even filled the centre cavity with foam and tape. No good.
    I resorted to rebuilding, so I kept my standard hubs. Rebuilt the wheels with good quality DT swiss spokes and 80mm Mulefut rims.
    Perfection!
    Mounted 4.8 Maxxis Minions.
    Currently running 8psi rear and 9 front with the bluto.
    Now tubeless is a breeze & loads of clearance for the 4.8s.

Name:	IMG_20160818_210026.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	435.2 KB 
ID:	1088972
    Hey, this bike looks great, I am just in the process of fitting a suspension fork myself and I noticed that you still have the external lower spacer on. If you would like to get the same geometry as the DD10 then you should install this headset:

FSA No.57 - Orbit 1.5 ZS Tapered - FSA

I have spent so much time trying to figure out which headset is correct and finally with good help from Felt I got the correct one. Hope this can be of help to someone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Having a problem with my dd, I can't seem to work out where it's coming from, but there is a really loud creaking noise that seems to be coming from inside the frame when I pedal. The harder I push down on the pedals (particularly the right one) the louder the creaking becomes. Going to take the bottom bracket off tomorrow to see if anything going on there.

The noise is so annoying when riding especially being OCD.

Has anyone experienced this at all and could anyone advise on what to check.

Cheers in advace

Ben
    I trashed the stock bottom bracket in under a year on my DD70. I was going to just replace/upgrade the bearings with angular contact bearings from RWC but the thread got buggered when I unscrewed the bearing cup. The thread was dry, no never seize or orange sealant. The other side had orange sealant and the thread was fine. I ended up buying a tap set from park tools and a new bottom bracket from RWC. It's better than new now!

Here's a link to my thread.

3 x 9 to 1 x 11 drivetrain swap, need help choosing the right componenents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Already posted in the Daily fatbike pic thread but I'll add it here too. My DD30.

Name:  1112534d1482861589t-daily-fatbike-pic-thread-2016121819592504-img_2527-xl.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  56.6 KB

Edster - Do you ride with Ron from FnA?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
    Already posted in the Daily fatbike pic thread but I'll add it here too. My DD30.

Name:  1112534d1482861589t-daily-fatbike-pic-thread-2016121819592504-img_2527-xl.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  56.6 KB

Edster - Do you ride with Ron from FnA?
    I try to, but he usually smokes me.

You get your bike from Ron?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster75 View Post
    I try to, but he usually smokes me.

You get your bike from Ron?
    Yeah I did. I barely get a chance to ride so I'm sure he would smoke me too. Maybe we can get out together at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey folks, I have a 2015 Felt DD70. I love the fit and have made a few upgrades (carbon bars, SLX hydraulics).

I'm about to go 1x11, but was curious if anyone has been able to run a narrower crankset than the RF ride. I only want clearance for Dillinger 5s/GC 4.6.

Anyone with any experience or am i limited to the ~220 Q?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Felt DD30 with Chains

Hi,
    This is my first post on the site. Hope I get it right. I enjoy winter riding and thought I would add a picture of my Felt DD30.
    I have added a Rockshox Bluto and a One Up 42 tooth rear cog.
    The chains are brass plumbers chain about 40 feet long. Shock cords remove slack from chains.The Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_0465.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_0512.jpgThe Felt DD Thread - DD70, DD30 and DD10-img_0513.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorgancdn View Post
    Hey folks, I have a 2015 Felt DD70. I love the fit and have made a few upgrades (carbon bars, SLX hydraulics).

I'm about to go 1x11, but was curious if anyone has been able to run a narrower crankset than the RF ride. I only want clearance for Dillinger 5s/GC 4.6.

Anyone with any experience or am i limited to the ~220 Q?
    I am now running an Aeffect crankset but it seems to be the same width as the Ride crankset. I think you are stuck with using a crankset that matches your 190/197 rear spacing. I doubt you could go any narrower without the crankarms hitting the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anyone here tried to fit a snowshoe XL on 100mm rim at the back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    has anyone found an 11 speed free hub that fits the stock wheel set?