Candlestick Maker

Feedback on Tommisea/Innova Spyder tires?

Anyone with firsthand experience w/ the Innova Spyder wanna share their opinions of the tire? Especially compared to the Endo. Traction, width, height, weight, etc...

Thanks!
    baker

No, that's not phonetic
    They use the same carcass as the Endo, so the casing shape is the same. They lack the variable height knobs on the Endo though, and they have no shoulder knobs, so they look "rounder" in profile. The drive/brake traction is good as there are a lot of fairly tall ridges running laterally across the tread area. Drive/brake is as good or better than the Endos. Lateral hold sucks donkey nads though. Side-hill or lean the bike into a corner and the bike will skate on you. Not a bad tire on the back for drive traction, but I would not run one up front. Too bad they didn't put shoulder knobs on it. Probably fine for the beach or trails with few corners. Not sure on the weight, but I doubt is is much different than the Endos. It's weird how much cheaper they are.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    They worked fine for me today on my ride with tscheezy. Don't really have enough time on either the Spyder or Endo to share much more than that. Definitely a more rounded profile than the Endo.

mtbr member
    what tscheezy said don't think about taking them on anything snowy/icy and off camber. you will be on your ass immediately. went on a ride with a few guys last night, i was on endos on some slippery off camber and while it was a bit sketchy i was alright but the guy with spider treads was on his ass every time the trail got a bit slick and more than about 10 degrees off camber.

Candlestick Maker
    Excellent feedback! I'm actually looking for a tire with more lateral traction than the Endo, so the Spyder's may be a no go. But, the price is soooo tempting...

Thanks!
    baker

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    You could try modifying the tread with a knife or tire groover. It would be a lot of work but still a whole to cheeper than getting a Larry.

Best examples I can think of are in this thread: 36" Wheels TA tire converstion.

mtbr member

...I'm not sure...

...I completely agree or disagree...I have switched both front and rear endos on 100's to Spiders...The [SIZE="5"]huge[/SIZE] increase in drive traction was initally my main motivation, as I had originally tried a Spider on the rear, first...I was impressed enough that I mounted one on front, and have never regretted it,well, yet...That being said, yes, they do have a bit less sidehill / laid on their side turnability, but perhaps some of that is due to their intended purpose (beach cruising), as well as their intended (?) rim (Both TommiSea bikes come shod with Spiders mounted to 100's, both front and rear). I have found that I am much more comfortable riding any condition I have found, including sheer ice (the Kuskokwim River has plenty of that)...Last year I nearly broke an elbow twice and a knee twice due to Endos sliding out from underneath me ( I found myself levitating myself and my expedition-laden Fatback parallel to the river ice)...I prefer the Spider-shod front skidding out rather than an Endo-shod front sliding out...I have an extra half a split second to do something, whatever it is...Back to the rim-width thing...If you are rolling anything less than 100's, keep your turning flatter, or maybe try running a slightly lower pressure to effectively square the profile a bit...NOTE-I have Spiders on my GF's 70's and, though I have not ridden it as extensively, I still feel more confident in the same situations than on Endo's. Possibly those with purely negative reports don't have as much experience coping with the bad habits that fatties tend to exhibit? Serriously-absolutely no offense intended if that last comment is taken the wrong way by anyone...some people think exotic cars drive like crap compared to their daily drivers...

Regardless, everyone rides different, I doubt the endless snowmachine trails across the endless tundra surrounding Bethel present the same, or even comparable, trail and riding conditions that some or most of you are on...

Have fun

Legal Disclaimer-I am waiting, oh so patiently, for Larry to come out here to play...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    ...I completely agree or disagree...I have switched both front and rear endos on 100's to Spiders...The [SIZE="5"]huge[/SIZE] increase in drive traction was initally my main motivation, as I had originally tried a Spider on the rear, first...I was impressed enough that I mounted one on front, and have never regretted it,well, yet...That being said, yes, they do have a bit less sidehill / laid on their side turnability, but perhaps some of that is due to their intended purpose (beach cruising), as well as their intended (?) rim (Both TommiSea bikes come shod with Spiders mounted to 100's, both front and rear). I have found that I am much more comfortable riding any condition I have found, including sheer ice (the Kuskokwim River has plenty of that)...Last year I nearly broke an elbow twice and a knee twice due to Endos sliding out from underneath me ( I found myself levitating myself and my expedition-laden Fatback parallel to the river ice)...I prefer the Spider-shod front skidding out rather than an Endo-shod front sliding out...I have an extra half a split second to do something, whatever it is...Back to the rim-width thing...If you are rolling anything less than 100's, keep your turning flatter, or maybe try running a slightly lower pressure to effectively square the profile a bit...NOTE-I have Spiders on my GF's 70's and, though I have not ridden it as extensively, I still feel more confident in the same situations than on Endo's. Possibly those with purely negative reports don't have as much experience coping with the bad habits that fatties tend to exhibit? Serriously-absolutely no offense intended if that last comment is taken the wrong way by anyone...some people think exotic cars drive like crap compared to their daily drivers...

Regardless, everyone rides different, I doubt the endless snowmachine trails across the endless tundra surrounding Bethel present the same, or even comparable, trail and riding conditions that some or most of you are on...

Have fun

Legal Disclaimer-I am waiting, oh so patiently, for Larry to come out here to play...
    Nice update on the spider., just what I wanted to read before giving them a try., BTW, what psi are you running at., same as your endo's?
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member

probably...

...about the same pressures, though I have never checked to see what those pressures are...just: hard, firm, a bit soft, softer yet, and damn that's soft...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

no dabs
    Oct 2008
    I have noticed my ice traction is very temperature dependent, with very cold ice offering much more traction than warmer ice.... might be a confounding variable when trying to compare different tires.....?