Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Panacea for finnicky tubeless rims (e.g. Fatboy) - FattyStripper ?

FattyStripper Tubeless Solutions

Looks cool! Like a less ghetto version of ghetto tubeless, or the ClownShoe strip + Margelite combo for wider rims?
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

mtbr member

Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?

Has anyone tried this? Their website won't load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

All fat, all the time.
    I came in for the fatty strippers ..... /letdown

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I came in for the fatty strippers ..... /letdown
    Sigh, one more disappointment for the books. Broke this 20 for no reason..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    After warning my wife what she may see in the browser history I ordered a pair to try. A little concerning that they have no contact info, but it is PayPal at least.

I hope it works! After setting up my Marge lites tubeless with a Clownshoe rim strip, I'd love a similar method for my Fatboy wheels.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Way to step up, ordering a pair of strippers, dang you gotta be hung for that sort of work.!

Me, I'm getting old, I'd settle for some pics and a little hot talk over tea

Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    After warning my wife what she may see in the browser history I ordered a pair to try. A little concerning that they have no contact info, but it is PayPal at least.

I hope it works! After setting up my Marge lites tubeless with a Clownshoe rim strip, I'd love a similar method for my Fatboy wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I haven't tried them since my ghetto tubeless is holding up well. I honestly would pull the trigger if there was a lot of weight savings though (or if the beads lock when deflated).

Right now my money is going into lights - but thought somebody might have some luck w these hopefully.

Paochow will surely report back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    I haven't tried them since my ghetto tubeless is holding up well. I honestly would pull the trigger if there was a lot of weight savings though (or if the beads lock when deflated).

Right now my money is going into lights - but thought somebody might have some luck w these hopefully.

Paochow will surely report back!
    Will do!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

bigger than you.
    Grateful that it's not about strippers...

mtbr member
    Any updates on this?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    Any updates on this?
    Sorry I've been busy with work and forgot to post follow up. I ordered a set of the fatty strippers and a set of red bling strips. The owner Jim called me the same day and asked what bike I was putting them on and offered to trim them to fit my Fatboy wheelset. Jim also gave me some pointers on how to best install them as I told him I wished to reuse them for summer/winter tires. Jim recommending a spray Elmers glue to adhere it to the rim and also said to use a small piece of old tube for the valve stem to make sure it had adequate thickness. Jim said if I removed the tire carefully I should be able to do multiple installs. Jim also sent me a comprehensive PDF of the install instructions.

Shipping was quick via priority mail in a clear heat sealed pouch. The strips are similar in construction to an exercise band, thin and flexible. The bling strips are very reflective and adhesive backed. Jim recommended only removing the adhesive on the section that overlapped.

I think I'll be waiting until November to install them though, as I'll be swapping to Snowshoe XL studded tires when snow season hits. I'll follow up with the install report and a ride report once I get the tires on.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-image.jpg
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011

Just saw your post... Does the website load for you?

Sorry, just saw your post.

This is the first I've heard that there was a problem with the ShopSite. Have you tried it lately?

My contact info is Jim@FattyStripper.com or Info@FattyStripper.com

Thanks!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Has anyone tried this? Their website won't load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just ordered a set for my new Mulefut 80's. Hoping to save some time and weight! Hoping they hold up as well as they are slated too!
    "Stay Upright!"

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubinjs View Post
    Just ordered a set for my new Mulefut 80's. Hoping to save some time and weight! Hoping they hold up as well as they are slated too!
    Post pics!!
    Any feedback on the installation?

Installation of FatBike Tubeless RimStrips

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Sorry I've been busy with work and forgot to post follow up. I ordered a set of the fatty strippers and a set of red bling strips. The owner Jim called me the same day and asked what bike I was putting them on and offered to trim them to fit my Fatboy wheelset. Jim also gave me some pointers on how to best install them as I told him I wished to reuse them for summer/winter tires. Jim recommending a spray Elmers glue to adhere it to the rim and also said to use a small piece of old tube for the valve stem to make sure it had adequate thickness. Jim said if I removed the tire carefully I should be able to do multiple installs. Jim also sent me a comprehensive PDF of the install instructions.

Shipping was quick via priority mail in a clear heat sealed pouch. The strips are similar in construction to an exercise band, thin and flexible. The bling strips are very reflective and adhesive backed. Jim recommended only removing the adhesive on the section that overlapped.

I think I'll be waiting until November to install them though, as I'll be swapping to Snowshoe XL studded tires when snow season hits. I'll follow up with the install report and a ride report once I get the tires on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	1019446
    How did your install go?

Installation of FatBike Tubeless RimStrips

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonsJ View Post
    Still haven't done it- No Snow yet

I have everything sitting ready to go, including a new set of studded Snowshoe XL's, but we've had some unseasonably warm weather. Looks like it might finally start to turn this weekend, so I'll be doing it soon.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Would this work on On One Fatty 70mm wheelset. Currently have Floaters on, but will be mounting 27tpi studded Dillinger 4's in a few days. My Trance is running tubeless, but it was already setup for me when I got it used, so I just added Stans, but never actually setup any tires tubeless.

If it is too much hassle with the cheap On One wheels, I'll stick to lightweight tubes. How about friend's Felt DD 70 wheels? Better chance there?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member

FS Installation on RD

Ok, folks, I have a real-world install (pic heavy, sorry). For reference, this is on a set of Holy Rolling Darryls, with Panaracer Fat B Nimble tires. Before I go any further I have to say that Jim at FS is a gem of a guy to work with. Patiently answered all my dumba$$ questions and walked me through what my HRD's would need to get them ship shape. I typically do split tube for my installs, but for those of you with my combo (HRD + FBN), you know that it is a MAJOR PITA, b/c the HRD has deep shoulders and a narrow bead shelf, and the FBN's are more of a 3.5" tire than a 4" tire. The combination does not make for easy mounting. So, I figured I'd give the FattyStrippers a go (plus the look I got from my wife when she saw the invoice was priceless). So, here's how it went:

Started off by wrapping a piece of ribbon in a Gorilla clear repair tape sandwich, then overlapping two more onto each bead shoulder:Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1329.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1330.jpg

Snipped a piece of old tube, burned a hole in it, used it to help seat the valve:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1331.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1332.jpg

The hole in the strip lets the valve through:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1333.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1334.jpg

Once on, it's a seamless airtight strip. Weighs almost nothing. Didn't take time to weigh it, but it's way lighter than a split tube:Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1335.jpg

Since I have HRD's, I used foam rod to build up the shoulder area. Flip back one side at a time:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1339.jpg

Hit it with some spray adhesive and stick the rod to the sidewall. Adhesive holds it in place:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1340.jpg

Flip the strip back over:Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1341.jpg

Repeat:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1342.jpg

Smear a little of this on the edge so that the tire can snap onto the bead:
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1343.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1344.jpg

When you mount the tire, you can work it into the little gap between the foam rod and the shoulder bead hook:Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1345.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1346.jpg

Hit it with a little air from the compressor and pop, beads went right into place. Not a hint of leakage anywhere. Nothing. Added a few ounces of Orange Seal and gave her the wobble and spin. Easy Peasy. Repeat for back tire.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1337.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_1349.jpg

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing stuff, and yes, there are cheaper solutions on the market, but with the trial and error that I have had with Rolling Darryls, nothing has even been in the same stadium of easy as this system. Could have aired them up with a floor pump.
    Last edited by baltobrewer; 12-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Would this work on On One Fatty 70mm wheelset. Currently have Floaters on, but will be mounting 27tpi studded Dillinger 4's in a few days. My Trance is running tubeless, but it was already setup for me when I got it used, so I just added Stans, but never actually setup any tires tubeless.

If it is too much hassle with the cheap On One wheels, I'll stick to lightweight tubes. How about friend's Felt DD 70 wheels? Better chance there?
    Yes, On One 70mm wheelsets have been converted to tubeless by several customers (mainly in Europe). All of them used the foam rods and said the install went really smooth. One of them was even able to mount a Fat-B-Nimble... which are notoriously loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ordered 2 sets today for my bike and my wife's along with foam backers. These will be going on some Framed Wolftrax bikes. I'll try to get some pics.

A coworker used the FattyStrippers on his bike and said it was the best way to do it he has seen. Insisted that I try it and he basically sold me on it. He had to tell his wife what he ordered to stay out of the dog house. Ordered him a back up set too today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I converted my Fatboy over using the Fatty-Stripper setup during the Broncos game on Sunday. Watched the video on the website and it was easy as it could be. I ordered another setup for my Yeti plus a couple of spares this morning. I did need to use my compressor to seat the bead on my Ground Controls, my floor pump wasn't getting it done, but that was no big deal.

Haven't had a chance to ride with them yet though. Stupid work!
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'15 Speciaized Fatboy Expert
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Installed the fattystripper said last night on my wife's Rolling Darryls, it was a pretty painless install. Went for a ride today over a lot of post holed snow and ice and the tires made easy work of the conditions.
    Nice set of pictures baltobrewer, can't wait to I get my new Mukluk!

mtbr member
    I saw one of these at the LBS yesterday when picking up the D5's for studding. It looked very thin and when I asked about it, one of the mechanics said he hated them because they're so thin. He said they work well but are so thin that anything over about 20 psi makes them blow out easily. I know that's all they're rated for. He said he preferred the Ringle strip the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I saw one of these at the LBS yesterday when picking up the D5's for studding. It looked very thin and when I asked about it, one of the mechanics said he hated them because they're so thin. He said they work well but are so thin that anything over about 20 psi makes them blow out easily. I know that's all they're rated for. He said he preferred the Ringle strip the best.
    Are you referring to the FattyStripper latex bands? The mechanic is mis-informed on many levels.
    1) The band is intended to be used with the stock vinyl rimstrip that comes with your wheels OR with some other structural reinfocement like the reflective BlingStrips over the cutouts and spokes.
    2) I've tested the strip to over 40 psi and yes... it made huge balloons at each cutout... but it didn't burst.

Your mechanic is speculating and providing his opinion about what he thinks will happen.

That said... there is nothing wrong with Sun Ringle tape if your rims are flat & narrow... like Sun Ringle rims. The latex bands still out-perform the tape with respect to anti-burp performance. The tape doesn't really work when you want to put the foam rods under it... which makes seating the bead possible with a floor pump as well as protects you from flats when you roll off the bead in a hard corner with too low of pressure. The foam works spectacularly because of the dynamic nature of the elastic material.

mtbr member
    Are you referring to the FattyStripper latex bands? The mechanic is mis-informed on many levels.
    1) The band is intended to be used with the stock vinyl rimstrip that comes with your wheels OR with some other structural reinfocement like the reflective BlingStrips over the cutouts and spokes.
    2) I've tested the strip to over 40 psi and yes... it made huge balloons at each cutout... but it didn't burst.

Your mechanic is speculating and providing his opinion about what he thinks will happen.
    No, he said he has seen them burst at 20 psi, so it wasn't speculation, and yes, it was the latex band. He did not mention what was used for a rim strip, but it's more than probable they did not install them, the original owner did. I was surprised at how thin it was but it makes sense that it'd be used with a more solid rim strip. Since the LBS does not stock them, it's also probable that whatever came in could have been damaged, resulting in a blowout when inflated. I'm only going by what he told me, but these are mechanics who work on everything from $50 junkers to $20,000 Ti custom jobs and never look down on anyone, so they're not bike snobs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Or you can make your own ghetto-version from virtually any plastic that can be heat sealed.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-dsc04889.jpg
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-dsc04891.jpg

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    No, he said he has seen them burst at 20 psi, so it wasn't speculation, and yes, it was the latex band. He did not mention what was used for a rim strip, but it's more than probable they did not install them, the original owner did. I was surprised at how thin it was but it makes sense that it'd be used with a more solid rim strip. Since the LBS does not stock them, it's also probable that whatever came in could have been damaged, resulting in a blowout when inflated. I'm only going by what he told me, but these are mechanics who work on everything from $50 junkers to $20,000 Ti custom jobs and never look down on anyone, so they're not bike snobs.
    I'll make a point to take some pics and post to the FAQ page. The engineering on the bands... I hung 420 lbs on the band before failure. The elasticity vs load is exponential. max elongation averages 12x, which you get to around 25% of failure load. The only reason I couldn't increase tire pressure to failure was that the rim was only rated to 30 psi and I was too scared at 40 to go any further. The bands were still in the elastic range at 40 psi. They are so incredibly over-designed for this application that 20 psi just isn't even close to enough force to cause failure.

Can you PM me the bike shop? I'd like to research this further.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    After watching the install video, I gotta say this takes the cake for ease of install and use. My only question would be, how does the latex hold up to a really tight tire install? The DT Swiss + Ground Controls just pop on. Running Snowshoes xl's and Mulefut's, I can install by hand, but I do have to put a fair bit of pressure to stretch the tire bead over the rim. I'd be worried about ripping the Latex.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Agreed. Before taking on this project, I was using Gorilla Tape. It was too thick for some tires... So I used their thickness (which varies up to 50%) as a baseline "too thick" limit. The latex is thinner by quite a bit than duct tape or Gorilla tape... I could've gone thinner but I would've compromised strength & durability. The trick is to use the lube on the bead shoulder as shown in the instructions. The tightest tires just slide right on and off... think baby oil on a Fatty Stripper. Sorry... you can't get that out of your head can you?

White lube, coconut oil or Vaseline all work great. Put it on a little thick and you may not need sealant at all in cold weather. Those tight tires are spectacular for anti-burp low pressure performance and for sealing up w/o sealant. You'll also probably be able to inflate with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

My first try with a Fattystripper went well

I wanted to try tubeless with my 9 yr old's Boris X5 and the only route with some success was Split tubes. The side wall was high and the tires were real loose.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3716.jpg
    Weinmann 80mm Rim
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3717.jpg
    See the profile of the bead
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3719.jpg
    Super Blingstrip 3M Orange reflectant I cut down to the width I needed
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3720.jpg
    Installed the foam rods, cut to length and tacked down with 3M 77 spray glue.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3721.jpg
    Mounted the FattyStripper and inserted the Valve. Was nice and easy.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3722.jpg
    The Fattystripper stretched over the rim and rods.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3724.jpg
    Lubed up the Fattystripper with Vaseline as that made mounting much easier and help seal the deal.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3725.jpg
    et Voila, On-One Floater mounted Tubeless on the less than desireable Weinmann rim.
    Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_3727.jpg
    And for my next adventure I will be mounting the Fattystripper on a FatBoy 24".... pictures to follow.

We'll be riding this bike this weekend so hopefully it holds at 8-9psi.
    H
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti
    2015 Specialized FatBoy 24"
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5
    1988 Peugeot Orient Express

mtbr member
    Nice pictures & description. I wondered about those foal rods with split tube method to help seal it up. my biggest concern is the foam collapsing in time and messing up the tape seal. Alternative ideas to the seal material to hold the tire on the shelves? I was thinking a harder weather stripping or putting in a thick bead of silicone caulk.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was set on the split-tube idea till I saw this product. While fat strippers may also be able to use it to control muffin-top and other bulges, I may spring for this since I just got a Fatboy with the 90mm SL rims. Loos like that may also have been the rim in the installation video.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How do you trim the overlap? ....ripping doesn't work as it leaves a bunch and cutting didn't seem to either as the razor grabbed and stretched the material

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Nice pictures & description. I wondered about those foal rods with split tube method to help seal it up. my biggest concern is the foam collapsing in time and messing up the tape seal. Alternative ideas to the seal material to hold the tire on the shelves? I was thinking a harder weather stripping or putting in a thick bead of silicone caulk.
    I used plastic putty for Framed non tubeless no-name-rims:

Adds a bit of weight though, about 70g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
    How do you trim the overlap? ....ripping doesn't work as it leaves a bunch and cutting didn't seem to either as the razor grabbed and stretched the material
    I have just to trim it. By pulling the overlap thight you can run scissors or a blade close to the tire and the overlap left will receed very close to the tire/rim edge. You need a sharp blade.

I will ride it this weekend to see how it holds up. It's held air for 2 days so far no problem. I ran 8 psi and through some sharp edged ruts and I saw some Stans spurt out in one place. I hope the FattyStripper latex will bond with the Stans and the tire bead so it doesn't burp. Granted this application is for a 90lbs kid and not my 260lbs. The Weinmanns and the floaters are both not tubeless ready and very loose tolarences so I am pushing the limits here.
    H
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti
    2015 Specialized FatBoy 24"
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5
    1988 Peugeot Orient Express

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I had foam collapse on these rims. Caulk got pushed out of the way eventually too. Tubeless is mandatory for me, so I eventually just got different rims. A better method of applying said caulk might change things, though

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I had foam collapse on these rims. Caulk got pushed out of the way eventually too. Tubeless is mandatory for me, so I eventually just got different rims. A better method of applying said caulk might change things, though
    Do you have any pictures of the foam collapse?

One of the design features of the FattyStripper latex bands is that their elasticity pushes the foam out up against the bead shoulder. It can still move around on hard impacts, but so far, it has always moved back to its original position. When I pulled the foam out of a wheel that had been assembled and pressurized for 6 months... the foam hadn't compressed at all, so no permanent deformation. Those tires still had great low pressure burp performance... when they were disassembled. The customer wanted to take out the dirty original rimstrips and put in BlingStrips. That is why we disassembled them.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
    My favorite tool came from a LBS mechanic who has done quite a few FattyStripper installs (they don't sell a FatBoy tubed). Its the $1.99 small snap-blade razor at your local hardware store. Stretch the latex away from the bead at a 45deg angle and simply slide the tip of the blade right along the bead. If you pull fairly taught, the latex cuts easily and retracts to the rubber contact point. Only do cuts 3" at a time... it still goes really fast. You can do both sides of a wheel in about 1 minute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-snapbladerazor.jpg  

mtbr member
    Will I need the foam rod for Clownshoes?
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    Will I need the foam rod for Clownshoes?
    Clownshoes can go either way... I have been recommending putting them in lately because of a friend who is doing the ITI (Iditarod Trail Invitational) reported that the foam let him seat his Bud/Lou super easy AND the added burp resistance at low pressure is just really nice insurance. The foam adds 14g TOTAL (7g/wheel). Totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will order this tomorrow or on Monday. Question for SimonJ: do I need anything else for the stock Specialized Fatboy Sl 90mm rims? I just picked up a leftover 2015 Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Question: if the Mulefüt's are such a pain to break the bead on, why would you need the foam backing rods.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member

fattystripper order

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1035096[/ATTACH
    My order arrived last night, and about to install it but when I open the package, the reflective tape was punctured. I talked to Jim and he said to mail it back and going to replace it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?-img_2381.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've exchanged emails with Jim over their stealth strip and am impressed with the correspondence. Very pleasant and down to earth.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    I couldn't be happier with my FattyStripper RimStrips / BlingStrips set. I found that the scissors on a small Swiss army knife slid quite nicely around the rim to trim off the excess latex. I will be ordering a spare set of FattyStrippers for sure and likely the new StealthStrips too. This system is simply awesome.

mtbr member
    Clownshoes can go either way... I have been recommending putting them in lately because of a friend who is doing the ITI (Iditarod Trail Invitational) reported that the foam let him seat his Bud/Lou super easy AND the added burp resistance at low pressure is just really nice insurance. The foam adds 14g TOTAL (7g/wheel). Totally worth it.
    Jim,
    went to the post office today, they won't accept the package back because they said it was already opened and they want to repack it and send it back to you and charging me $5.75. I'm not going to spend more for the rim strip. Are you still gonna send me a replacement?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I am a bit of a perfectionist so I understand but......

Why wouldn't you just mount the strip so the puncture is not in a cutout and call it good?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I am a bit of a perfectionist so I understand but......

Why wouldn't you just mount the strip so the puncture is not in a cutout and call it good?
    Thanks, but are you willing to pay for a defective product?

mtbr member
    Mine would have a nick in it after the first bushwhacking ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Same here. I'd just run it rather than waiting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryarroyo View Post
    Thanks, but are you willing to pay for a defective product?
    Depends.

I just got a second pair of Vasque boots for my kid that had the stitching on both flaps coming off. I decided to pay $10 and have a shoe repair guy fix them to avoid the hassle of returning them etc.

I would run that rim strip but to each their own.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Went out yesterday and hammered on the bike to test the tubeless setup. Had rear at 10 and front at 9. Local trails are a ninja-goat rockfest of baby-head size stuff, and the setup was bulletproof. I intentionally ran harder than I otherwise would, wanted to see if it would burp. Nothing. Same pressure when I got back. Very impressed. BTW, I would run those blue rim strips as well. How much does it really matter to you if the rim strip has a hole? It doesn't need to be airtight. Pay the shipping back if it matters to you, but seems like a waste of good riding time to me. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I went for a ride last weekend at a local trail in Colorado. I was on my regular bike as my new fat bike had been ordered by my LBS but was not in yet. I finished up my ride and started talking to a guy in the parking area riding a Fatboy. I was asking a lot of questions after he commentated that he was able to ride trails all winter last year. I asked him if he had converted to tubeless and he said yes using FattyStripper. He said he had been running the system for a while and it was holding up great and the easiest system he had used. I am going to give them a go when I switch mine over.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Will order this tomorrow or on Monday. Question for SimonJ: do I need anything else for the stock Specialized Fatboy Sl 90mm rims? I just picked up a leftover 2015 Fatboy.
    Congrats... the sale that Specialized has on the 2015's is the score of the season. The 2016's ship with wheels that are way, way heavier... like a pound EACH. Huge mistake for Specialized to switch from the excellent SL 90's to the Stout XC 90mm wheelsets. When the shops run out of those... a used 2014 or 2015 will be a much better purchase than a new 2016.

All you really need to make that wheel tubeless is the latex band if you have a set of tubeless valves laying around. If you choose to go a step further... change out the vinyl rimstrips and save another 20g or so (to do that with SRAM XO1 to XX1, it costs $250... and thats not even rotating weight ;-).

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Question: if the Mulefüt's are such a pain to break the bead on, why would you need the foam backing rods.
    I didn't know the Mulefut's were hard to break the bead on... that sounds like a really small tire issue. The Mulefut wheelset I built up with 4.6 GC's weren't tight at all.

The foam helps you get a better air seal to the bead of the tire so that it can get seated on the rim easier. I've done a lot of tire/wheel combos with a good floor pump (just to show that it can be done). The foam also helps keep the air in the tire if the bead pushes off the narrow bead shoulder while riding with low pressure. Rims with narrow shoulders tend to roll off and instantly go poof... and then you can't get it seated again without a compressor.

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011

Quality Control

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1035096[/ATTACH
    My order arrived last night, and about to install it but when I open the package, the reflective tape was punctured. I talked to Jim and he said to mail it back and going to replace it.
    Hi Larry,

I did return your messages within 15 minutes from when you sent them on a Friday night. There is more to this story than just one picture. We had a lengthy conversation about the situation. When I said I'd replace the one strip... you said "no, its through both strips". OK, well that's quite clearly a big puncture event because the material is coiled up when mailed. I asked about the package and you said there was no damage to it at all. OK, now we have a mystery that would stump Dick Tracy...

Like the other member on here pointed out... If it were just one puncture, you could've just put the puncture behind the metal in your rim and not at a cutout.
    The way that those strips are hand-cut, hand-coiled and hand-packed, in addition to 3M's quality control, guarantees that a strip could never go out the door with even one defect like that... much less 20 punctures.

I asked USPS today if you could just write "RETURN TO SENDER" over your address and they said yes, even if the package was re-taped. When I asked you to do that, you clearly didn't want to do that. I'm glad you did go and try... but "RETURN TO SENDER" will still come back to me without a charge to you. IF the post office determines that the puncture was their fault, they will reimburse all mailing costs. IF they determine that its my fault, I'll get charged. Either way... its no cost to you.

USPS said they will absolutely cover the damage as part of their Priority Mail insurance. I'm more concerned about how something like that can happen and then making changes to make sure it can't happen again... but I need the strips back to begin the process of tracking down the cause.

I realize its frustrating... Trust me, as a volunteer, doing this project to support our trail grooming efforts... its pretty time-consuming. I've had a latex band ship with a small defect and that totally could've happened. I didn't inspect both sides of every band because the quality controls by the manufacturer was so high. I now inspect every band before shipping. The BlingStrips have always had 100% inspection simply by the nature of how they have to be cut to the proper size and then hand-coiled and hand-packaged.

mtbr member
    I didn't know the Mulefut's were hard to break the bead on... that sounds like a really small tire issue. The Mulefut wheelset I built up with 4.6 GC's weren't tight at all.

The foam helps you get a better air seal to the bead of the tire so that it can get seated on the rim easier. I've done a lot of tire/wheel combos with a good floor pump (just to show that it can be done). The foam also helps keep the air in the tire if the bead pushes off the narrow bead shoulder while riding with low pressure. Rims with narrow shoulders tend to roll off and instantly go poof... and then you can't get it seated again without a compressor.

People report all sorts of difficulty, I'm surprised you missed the thread.

It took me longer than usual to get the tires off since they do seal well. I did one wrap of Zip tape and after 2 days with no Stans it's still holding air fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011

People report all sorts of difficulty, I'm surprised you missed the thread.

It took me longer than usual to get the tires off since they do seal well. I did one wrap of Zip tape and after 2 days with no Stans it's still holding air fine.
    Yep. I missed that thread. I should go read it before continuing to speculate... but isn't that what happens in these discussions anyway? Tires vary a huge amount wrt their bead circumference tolerances. Tape varies a lot in thickness and a lot of people are using multiple wraps of thick gorilla tape... I wonder if the super tight bead issue is a result of all of the above.

I'm definitely not a Mulefut expert... I set up one set of them but the ones I set up using FattyStripper, foam rods and 4.6" ground controls fit really, really nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Using a 24" QTube and the split tube method I have successfully mounted Ground Controls, Bud and Lou and Snowshoe XL on the SL 90 rims. I don't think you will need anything else.

I'd rather be riding!

mtbr member
    Hi Larry,

I did return your messages within 15 minutes from when you sent them on a Friday night. There is more to this story than just one picture. We had a lengthy conversation about the situation. When I said I'd replace the one strip... you said "no, its through both strips". OK, well that's quite clearly a big puncture event because the material is coiled up when mailed. I asked about the package and you said there was no damage to it at all. OK, now we have a mystery that would stump Dick Tracy...

Like the other member on here pointed out... If it were just one puncture, you could've just put the puncture behind the metal in your rim and not at a cutout.
    The way that those strips are hand-cut, hand-coiled and hand-packed, in addition to 3M's quality control, guarantees that a strip could never go out the door with even one defect like that... much less 20 punctures.

I asked USPS today if you could just write "RETURN TO SENDER" over your address and they said yes, even if the package was re-taped. When I asked you to do that, you clearly didn't want to do that. I'm glad you did go and try... but "RETURN TO SENDER" will still come back to me without a charge to you. IF the post office determines that the puncture was their fault, they will reimburse all mailing costs. IF they determine that its my fault, I'll get charged. Either way... its no cost to you.

USPS said they will absolutely cover the damage as part of their Priority Mail insurance. I'm more concerned about how something like that can happen and then making changes to make sure it can't happen again... but I need the strips back to begin the process of tracking down the cause.

I realize its frustrating... Trust me, as a volunteer, doing this project to support our trail grooming efforts... its pretty time-consuming. I've had a latex band ship with a small defect and that totally could've happened. I didn't inspect both sides of every band because the quality controls by the manufacturer was so high. I now inspect every band before shipping. The BlingStrips have always had 100% inspection simply by the nature of how they have to be cut to the proper size and then hand-coiled and hand-packaged.
    Yes, I can do what the other member said about what to do with the punctured strip. My point is, I received and paid for defective product and normal reaction for me as a customer.
    I already went to the post office and explained what they told me which is the other explanation they told you.
    I don't wanna waste more time and gas to go there again and explain what you said.
    Thanks anyway..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, I can do what the other member said about what to do with the punctured strip. My point is, I received and paid for defective product and normal reaction for me as a customer.
    I already went to the post office and explained what they told me which is the other explanation they told you.
    I don't wanna waste more time and gas to go there again and explain what you said.
    Thanks anyway..
    Clearly you had a lot of discussions about this issue with the supplier...then you turned to move it to a public forum so now you have to deal with all of us and our opinions.

I feel similar to the others. Use the rim strip and enjoy the new setup. Hide the puncture under a solid part of the rim. You could have been riding around tubeless already...

The strip clearly has a puncture, it clearly didn't leave FS "factory" like that. So either it happened during shipping...or YOU did it. It looks conspicuously centered in the strip...almost like the exact location a valve stem would go! It looks like someone tried to push a valve stem through backwards. So unless Jim sent you a customer return...

If you taped the box up the way it was delivered to you and wrote RTS over your address and put it wherever your mail gets delivered, they would have taken it and delivered it back to the sender. Done it plenty of times. There was no need for a trip to the post office, that just added complication.

Jim seems to be more than reasonable with my experience with him. He seems to be truly trying to develop a product and procedure for a niche market. Look at the prices for this stuff. By the time he loses the transaction fees, there just isn't much profit in these things. I'm sure covering shipping back and forth, as well as the lost product would put this charitable effort firmly in the red for this order.

ac

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What diameter foam backer rod is needed? I totally missed ordering some with my strippers but can get it locally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    looks like a good product to me. I just ordered a set of the fatty strips and valve stems.

I am going to set up my Jumbo Jim 4.8 tubeless on a set of Mulefut 80mm wheels. Already have a rim strip I like.

I really like the idea of a solid item, rather than the seams of tape that could fail. Looking forward to the install.

mtbr member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fatty strip that's trimmed is a one time use?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Burping

Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    I intentionally ran harder than I otherwise would, wanted to see if it would burp. Nothing.
    FYI, higher pressures make burping LESS likely. Burping is when the tire bead is pushed inwards, by the ground when cornering or similar. High pressures push the tire outward, so are less likely to burp.

So, if you want to test burping, run your tire really soft and find some smooth pavement to really carve a turn on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks anyway..
    You seam like a peach to deal with! Shit happens, a whole in 3m reflective tape is probably the smallest shit ever though when considering bikes. Just recently I gotta wait a whole two weeks to ride my fatty cause shop sold me Reba dust wipers that don't fit, and now have order the Bluto specific spec. Also aren't you suppose to make a hole in the tape for valves anyways?

I'll be ordering some Fatty Strippers when I finally get around to studding my snowshoes, don't want to be pulling those suckers off any more then I have to.

I use to work in the post office part-time when I was in school, the only time they don't do an RTS if the person literally shows up with an open package. Its against the rules, all you gotta do is tape it up before you show up so the clerk can plead ignorance. As long as the person was courteous, and didn't ***** we would RTS anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does he only carry one size ? I'd like them for 29+ wheels also

mtbr member
    Install is pretty simple, but takes a delicate hand to get it smooth Around the rim after spraying the Adhesive on. I always find that the second one goes better than the first. Always the case usually.
    The second one I pulled the strip back and as I went to re wrap the bead and rims edge, I allowed the strip to naturally sit inside the contour of the bead lock. Instead of (as done on the first one) just wrapping in over the bead lock. I had a much easier time fully sealing the tire once installed this way. The front, which was done first, has been leaking a small bit. The rear, has lost none.

Also, anyone here had to pull, and re install their tires after trimming the strip? One, I'm concerned about having to use levers to remove the tire and puncturing the strip. 2) will I be able to re use the strip as is and seal up well again and again? Or will I need to start over each time?

"Stay Upright!"

mtbr member

Fatty Stripper tubeless solution?

Nice product, seems to fit the bill. I will definitely try some fattystripper when time to change tires. Currently on ghetto and working fine but I think this will save some weight. Integrated valve stem on ghetto is nice though.
    Some constructive criticism - don't you think the foam rod will just role over w the bead if the force is great enough to push the bead off the shelf. I understand it's purpose to help initially seat the tire but beyond that I doubt it will help the tire remain seated - only air pressure and /or a solid fixed ridge on the rim can do that. That's my thinking at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Nice product, seems to fit the bill. I will definitely try some fattystripper when time to change tires. Currently on ghetto and working fine but I think this will save some weight. Integrated valve stem on ghetto is nice though.
    Some constructive criticism - don't you think the foam rod will just role over w the bead if the force is great enough to push the bead off the shelf. I understand it's purpose to help initially seat the tire but beyond that I doubt it will help the tire remain seated - only air pressure and /or a solid fixed ridge on the rim can do that. That's my thinking at least.
    It depends on your rim and tire, whether or not the foam backer is even needed. I did not need to do that and sat the bead immediately. I'm running Bud/Lou combo on Sunringle Mulefüt 80's.

"Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubinjs View Post
    It depends on your rim and tire, whether or not the foam backer is even needed. I did not need to do that and sat the bead immediately. I'm running Bud/Lou combo on Sunringle Mulefüt 80's.

Well obviously...

Your mule fat rim is designed to be tubeless compatible so essentially doesn't need further mods to get it to work .

I'm referring to rims that need the foam/ rods/ tape build up mods to get tubeless to work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have not been successful so far.
    Clownshoes and Dillinger 5 tires.
    I tried using foam backer rod (I used 3/8") and it just squished up between the tire and the sidewall of the rim, keeping the tire bead from seating fully against the rim.
    Aired up easily though.

I wondered if thinner foam was maybe the solution, so I cut my foam rod in half, and installed one half, with the flat(cut) side down on the rim. I left just enough of a gap to fit the tire bead between the foam and the rim.
    Now it won't air up. The tire is very loose on the rim(easily 1/4" gap) so even using a strap it won't air up.

So:
    - what size foam rod with Clownshoes?
    -where should the foam be placed? How close to the rim?

Any other tips?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, after I wrote this I gave it one more shot trying to inflate it with the half round foam rods in there, and it went!
    Then I checked my mailbox and there was a package from Fattystripper with my corrected blingstrips (I had ordered a mismatched pair, but accidentally got a matched pair) and A surprise pair f foam rods! Thank you very much!
    The rods from Fattystripper are also close to 3/8" but a hair smaller than mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi Simons,

Just a note that my arrived today and the USPS envelope had two good size holes in it. I did a quick look and miraculously both valve stems were still in the package. I didnt check anything else closely yet. It would appear that they leave you in good shape and the Post Office is having their way with your packages<g>

Bob
    [B]Fuse Expert

Orgasmic Orange Crosstrek

www.robertirvin.com

mtbr member
    My initial experience with the fatty strippers is positive, it was as easy as setting up a stans rimstrip on a normal rim. "Initially" because I set them up 2 nights ago and haven't had a chance to ride yet, but I've checked them a couple times and they're still solid. I haven't put any sealant in yet. I have a set of unholy rolling darryls and a brand new pair of studded snowshoe xl's. One of the tires aired up with a floor pump, the other was a little more deformed from the packaging and needed a quick burst with a compressor. I reused the existing nylon strip over the spoke holes, I used no foam and a light soaping of the beads. I sprayed the bead area under the strip as per their video with spray adhesive with the intention of attempting to swap tires when spring comes without having to replace the strips, we'll see how well that works.
    The xl's are tubeless ready, and judging by how much effort it took to break the beads on the nates that came off (standing on the tire), I'm debating trying to run without stans. Opinions?
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I'm debating trying to run without stans. Opinions?
    This is silly. All it takes is one ____ to poke the teeniest hole that you'll never find, forcing you to either keep pumping it up or to stick in a tube. Or, you can run a small amount of sealant and it will find/fix that hole, and the next, and the next, without you ever knowing they were there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    The xl's are tubeless ready, and judging by how much effort it took to break the beads on the nates that came off (standing on the tire), I'm debating trying to run without stans. Opinions?
    Perhaps you will have better luck than me, but I had difficulty getting my Snowshoe XL's/Fattystripper to completely seal even with Stans. With the recommended 2oz, both leaked air through the bead area, despite shaking and riding. I added 2 more ounces per tire and after some more inflating, shaking and riding, they finally appear to be sealed. My buddy had similar issues using the vacuum seal bag method, so I'm guessing it is the Snowshoe XL causing the issue and not the FattyStrippers.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Why run without Stans? Do you want to have a non-self sealing tubeless tire?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I received my kit yesterday and all is well. No holes in my envelope, but I can see how it happens to some. The envelope is probably not designed for shipping this stuff.

I'd suggest hitting people up for a couple of extra $$'s for a flat rate cardboard box, or at least use a padded bubble wrap mailer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mine came in a food saver bag which I assume is what you guys got as well. Thought it was a pretty clever shipping bag for soft items. USPS is usually pretty great about soft mailers when you don't put hard items inside otherwise they have a tendency to poke/rub from the inside out and will eat your profits as you replace damaged shipments. I had to go with boxes only for my ebay store for precisely this reason. At this size they are cheap @<$.50/box right on ebay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine came USPS stuffed in a single layer paper envelope that seemed more appropriate for mailing documents than actual hard goods. But hey, it worked, and I will install the kit this weekend

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just curious how long it took USPS to deliver once paypal shows shipped. Mine shipped on Monday was hoping to get this week, but no luck.

mtbr member
    Why run without Stans? Do you want to have a non-self sealing tubeless tire?
    Yeah you're right, it was a silly thought.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    I thought I could jump a creek today since I had the speed. I was wrong. The rear wheel caught a rock completely wrong and I thought I damaged the new wheel. Upon inspection just on the other side, I didn't see a dent, but I did see where the Stans was bubbling, sealing the bead. If I hadn't had it in there I'd have had to walk the mile or so out of the woods. I use 3 oz which adds very little weight. It's worth it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Installed the Fatty Stripper this weekend.

I ordered the Fatty Stripper and Valves on Sunday, package arrived the following Friday. Contents were packed in a vacuum seal envelope. Appeared well packed to me.

Decided to install on Sunday. Install was on a set of Mulefut 80mm hoops with 4.8 Jumbo Jim tires. I left the factory rim strip in place. I wiped the rim clean and placed the fatty strip on the tire. No need to get it perfect yet, I just stretched it on and made the sure valve hold was in the proper spot. I then worked the fatty stripper around and centered it up on the wheel. I decided to try the spray elmers method. I would pull back a section about 8" long on one half of the wheel. I sprayed the glue the folded the fatty back. I worked my way all the way around the wheel and then did the other half. When I was done the glue was still tacky, so I could pull up on the strip and recenter it and pull all the wrinkles out. Was really easy.

I let the glue set a bit while I did the same to the other tire. I then installed the valves. I am not sure which valves he uses, but they are nice valves. The valves are threaded all the way to the rubber grommet. He also includes a slightly oversized plastic washer to put between the rim and valve locknut. This helps thread the lock nut on without running into the rubber grommet. This ensures a good seal.

I lubed up the bead with Uncle ***** Beadslip (Wow, MTBR blocked out the word, Lets call it Uncle Richard's Beadslip) then placed the tire on the wheel. I did not use any levers. I cringed a bit when I pushed the tire over the latex strip, but those things are pretty strong, no harm done.

After the tire was on the wheel I pulled the core and gave the tire a blast of air. Tire made a good pop and the bead was set, I would say it took less than 12psi of air to get the tires to seat. I replaced the core and aired it up to 14psi and let it sit while I did the other.

The other tire mounted just as easily. When I was done both tires were holding air just fine. At this point I pulled the core again and added sealant. I added 5oz of Serfas Tire Medic sealant to each tire. Aired both tires back up to about 14psi and gave them a good shake.

Next step was to cut off the extra latex on the outside of the wheel. I used a box cutter with a fresh blade. I pulled the latex tight and cut it right at the rim line with the tip of the blade just touching the tire. This was very easy to do. I can see a bit of a red line in the bead if I look at it just right. It is very minor and barely noticeable.

I rode my bike into work with the new Tubeless today and zero pressure has been lost, I have also not seen and sealant seaping out. This was a very easy and fool proof install.

I would gladly buy this product again. Very satisfied customer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm doing mine tomorrow, but not using glue, I don't see the point in it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    I'm doing mine tomorrow, but not using glue, I don't see the point in it?
    Point is to be able to re-use them.

Set up a pair on a Fatboy the other day super easy.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by claimed4all View Post
    Installed the Fatty Stripper this weekend. Install was on a set of Mulefut 80mm hoops with 4.8 Jumbo Jim tires.
    MuleFut rims are tubeless ready. You don't need Fatty Strippers to run them tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    MuleFut rims are tubeless ready. You don't need Fatty Strippers to run them tubeless.
    Mulefut are tubeless ready, but I still have to cover the spoke holes and the machine holes at the edge of the bead shelf. I did not want to use tape as it has seams. I wanted a seamless install that was light, so Fatty Stripper was the answer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BIke N Gear View Post
    Point is to be able to re-use them.

Set up a pair on a Fatboy the other day super easy.
    Ok thanks.

Setting mine up on DT Swiss BR710's. I trial fitted the tyres over the rims today, the GC's are much tighter on the rim than on the standard Spesh rims. So tight, that I think I will be able to inflate with a floor pump!

When I change tyres, I'll use a new set of strippers, so not using glue.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I used the fattystrippers on my wife's Fatboy SE. I had to spray soapy water and use a strap around the tire to seat the bead. I used a floor pump to seat the bead once I had the strap around the tire. 3 oz of Stan's with spinning and shaking did not seal the tires overnight. I put 3 more oz of Stan's in and laid the tires/wheels on their sides with a bucket to distribute the Stan's along the sidewalls. Hopefully, this will get er done. 3 oz or less in a 4.6" tire does not seem like much sealant to me. 3oz is recommended for a standard 29er tire. I can't imagine how 3oz is going to give you any flat protection in a 4.6" tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Did a Framed Wolftrax wheels yesterday with a foam backer, I'm not sure the foam backer was necessary. Went together really quickly and inflated so awesomely. We couldn't get the second wheels bead between the foam and rim and we didn't have petroleum jelly with us (at work). we sprayed on some soapy water and decided to just push on it while adding air. Boom! Right on with just a slight leak that was remedied with a little more air. Added some Orange seal subzero, inflated and it was good. Incredibly easy. I am not sure the foam backer was even necessary.

mtbr member
    Don't use latex and petroleum jelly - you'll get pregnant. Seriously, the two don't play well together.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Don't use latex and petroleum jelly - you'll get pregnant. Seriously, the two don't play well together.
    Yeah there seems to be another industry that says those are a bad combo. But, thanks to them, you can get a nice lubricant at the drugstore that is guaranteed safe with latex.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Blingstrips are delicate

I tried to hang up my bike today in the garage. Missed a bit and instead of the rim being all the way inside the hook the end of the hook slipped into a cutout. After some cursing I got it off and sure enough, the blingstrip is torn and the latex strip was bulging out a tiny bit.
    This was with a nice 3/8" wide, rubber covered hook with a ball end, nothing sharp or pointy.

I think the issue is that hey are so stiff,the don't just deform around a pressure point.

So, the moral of the story is that you might want to add extra protection to the blingstrip if you are likely to be in remote areas and/or doing a lot of bushwhacking.

mtbr member
    Wow all this talk starting w/ title of this thread, lubricants, latex, pregnancy and now needing an extra layer of protection. I better start using privacy mode on my browser.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by claimed4all View Post
    Mulefut are tubeless ready, but I still have to cover the spoke holes and the machine holes at the edge of the bead shelf. I did not want to use tape as it has seams. I wanted a seamless install that was light, so Fatty Stripper was the answer.
    I felt the exact same! I set my Mulefut 80's up the same way.

Stay Upright!
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Easy install great service

Installed two days ago on my Farley 7 with stock mulefuts. Breaking the bead on the mulefuts was the hardest part of the process. Put 40 cc Stans in front. Running the rear without sealant just to see if it will keep the air. I am pleased with how easy this process is. I aired up the tires with a floor pump without any drama. I'll put 30ccs Stans in the rear after xmass

mtbr member
    My Nates on Mulefüts held air fine without Stans. I added 3 oz for protection anyway. Can't go out without some protection, otherwise bad things can happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This thread needs a lot more pics!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast