Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky View Post
    I posted this on the Tubeless Tuesday thread but figured this might actually be the better thread to ask on:

Since FattyStripper is out of stock on the normal fat strips right now and won't start shipping again till February 18th, can I just buy Thera-Band latex bands in the 150mmx6 yard roll? Are these, as I suspect, exactly what FattyStripper is using to make their strips anyway? Do I want the "red/medium" color assuming it's the exact same stuff and therefore the same color would be the exact same thickness, and is there an advantage to going with one of the thinner or thicker colors? Tubeless Tuesday. - Page 20- Mtbr.com
    This is what I did when I made my own ghetto "fatty strippers" (before I'd heard of fatty strippers) and it worked fine. Used weldwood rubber contact cement (red can) for glueing the overlap. I had various strips around from the physical therapy my wife was going through, couldn't find any 24" tubes in stock local or on line at the time wide enough for split tubeless, so I made these. I've used the black, red and green weights (not sure what their thickness was) because that's what was on hand. When pricing this out, the fatty strippers are cheaper, and their bonded overlap is probably better than what I made at home. I had everything already on hand, including the glue, so its was a natural thing to attempt. I wouldn't go out of my way to go this route - not worth the effort and trial and error. Split tube for the interim until the fatty strippers are back in stock.

Do not google "ghetto fatty stripper", way way worse than the results from googling "fatty stripper".
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Bikes with dogs
    Thank you, watermonkey! Glad to know you've used green successfully. My wife has a green one in the basement that she hasn't used in years. She'll never miss it, right?

Haha, I don't doubt it. I had to clear my browser history after googling "fattystripper latex".

mtbr member
    I'm also in need of another option with the fatty strippers being out of stock. My rear sealed up fine with a split tube, but the front (100mm rim) needed the FS as a split tube wasn't wide enough (I think it was 24 x 2.4 or similar). I destroyed the FS removing it to put a tube in after a puncture - any other suggestions? Otherwise I'll use a tube for a few weeks I guess....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Will any of these work for split tubes for you 100mm rims?

Tubes at Tree Fort Bikes

mtbr member
    Those look too narrow unfortunately - I did see online a 24x4" tube so may try and get hold of one of those to give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rossp View Post
    I'm also in need of another option with the fatty strippers being out of stock. My rear sealed up fine with a split tube, but the front (100mm rim) needed the FS as a split tube wasn't wide enough (I think it was 24 x 2.4 or similar). I destroyed the FS removing it to put a tube in after a puncture - any other suggestions? Otherwise I'll use a tube for a few weeks I guess....

Are these back is stock?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Are these back is stock?
    For most up to date information try their website.

mtbr member
    Yes they are! I just ordered a kit and it's on the way. Can't wait to try these with my new 4.8" Minion FBF's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is it worth it to fattystripper tubeless my 27tpi nates or should I wait and go tubeless with a different tire? I told myself I would get a tubeless tire when the nates wear out but after all this time they are still going strong! This will be on my 2013 mukluk with non holy darrells.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Update: kit came in and I've been fighting with it. Followed the instructions from the YouTube clip but they won't hold air long. Rear held out for several days then gave way and the front wouldn't hold air for more than several hours. This time I secured the valve hole with durable tape used with roof flashing around the valve hole between the latex band and bling strip to see if that holds up and wiped the beads with Vaseline. To air up successfully, I had to briefly wrap the tire with a ratchet strap by hand. My wheels are 80mm and using 120tpi EXO skin. I was able to ride for the 1st time tubeless yesterday and it's a night and day improvement. Bike feels lighter and less challenging on climbs. It's worth the hassle at this stage in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Is it worth it to fattystripper tubeless my 27tpi nates or should I wait and go tubeless with a different tire? I told myself I would get a tubeless tire when the nates wear out but after all this time they are still going strong! This will be on my 2013 mukluk with non holy darrells.
    Tubeless is a huge improvement IF your rims set up tubeless and have a solid beadlock. Sans that, its a recipe for frustration, failure, wasted time, and poor low psi performance (by poor, I mean none, because you'll walk your bike home).

Fatty strippers are cool, but split tube is more dependable.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456