Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57

    Fatty for my first ride?

    Good or bad idea to get a fat bike as my first bike?

    I rode BMX bikes as a kid. Haven't been on a bike in 15 years or so. I won't be doing anything too extreme. Mostly local bike paths, dirt roads (bike packing) and maybe some really tame single track if there is such a thing.

    Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teton29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    288
    A 1000 dollar 29er will all those things better than a 2000 dollar fat bike.

    I'd suggest visiting a local bike shop or two and learning about your options.

    And congrats on getting back into biking!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    Fatty for my first ride?

    While a 29er will do those things better, a fat bike will be more fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    9:zero:7
    Reputation: Morej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    103
    I was in you shoes before. Fat bikes are the reason I started biking again. I built my fatty and I never regret it. Just got one for my wife.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57

    Re: Fatty for my first ride?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beermanstruck View Post
    While a 29er will do those things better, a fat bike will be more fun.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I'm up against. I know a 29 will do what I need and probably better, but the fatbikes just look like so much fun.


    I'm not really concerned with top end performance right now. As long as my bike doesn't fall apart and I can get where I am going with it, I'm good.

    If / when my skill and confidence gets to where I need some serious equipment a really nice 29 is definitely on the table. Right now I'm just looking at sub $1000 bikes to ride around for fun and fitness with the fiancee.

    So on one hand the fat sounds fine, on the other I may still be better off with a 29.

    FYI I'm looking at the Trek X Cal 7 29 vs the BD Moto fatty.

  6. #6
    Classic weekend warrior
    Reputation: sk1er18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    196
    It's not always about what will do things "better", or even cheaper for that matter. If buying/building a fat bike seems fun or interesting to you, enough such that it gets you back into the sport, there's absolutely no reason not to do it IMO.

    Case in point my Mukluk was actually a bike purchased for my wife because she thought it was really cool when she saw one at the bike shop (buying bikes for our kids), and whatever it takes to get her into the hobby and on the trails is worth it to me. We've been through a few bikes for her and she's FINALLY excited to take one of these pedal powered machines into the woods. Don't "need" snow, sand, etc... just need a desire to ride.

    Side note, I actually rode my wifes Mukluk more than my 29er last summer. Did it make me faster? No. Did it make me slower? No. It made the trails that I could ride blind folded different/fun again... best way to describe it, it had the same effect like riding a trail you're really used but in the other direction...it's like a new trail. Hence for people like me who are just out there to have fun and have limited time (can't travel 1+ hours to play on different trail systems), I like having both my 29er and the fatbike to change things up.

    I think some people here take biking a bit to seriously and refer to bikes as "tools". Too often I read "right tool for the job" blah blah blah. C'mon guys, they're TOYS... grab a toy and go have fun.
    -09 GF X-Caliber
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -38Frameworks Jackalope (hers)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
    It's not always about what will do things "better", or even cheaper for that matter. If buying/building a fat bike seems fun or interesting to you, enough such that it gets you back into the sport, there's absolutely no reason not to do it IMO.

    Case in point my Mukluk was actually a bike purchased for my wife because she thought it was really cool when she saw one at the bike shop (buying bikes for our kids), and whatever it takes to get her into the hobby and on the trails is worth it to me. We've been through a few bikes for her and she's FINALLY excited to take one of these pedal powered machines into the woods. Don't "need" snow, sand, etc... just need a desire to ride.

    Side note, I actually rode my wifes Mukluk more than my 29er last summer. Did it make me faster? No. Did it make me slower? No. It made the trails that I could ride blind folded different/fun again... best way to describe it, it had the same effect like riding a trail you're really used but in the other direction...it's like a new trail. Hence for people like me who are just out there to have fun and have limited time (can't travel 1+ hours to play on different trail systems), I like having both my 29er and the fatbike to change things up.

    I think some people here take biking a bit to seriously and refer to bikes as "tools". Too often I read "right tool for the job" blah blah blah. C'mon guys, they're TOYS... grab a toy and go have fun.
    Thanks for this post, it shuts down a lot of my hesitation.

  8. #8
    MPE
    MPE is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    38
    I just got my first fat bike (White and Orange Minnesota 2.) after years of just tooling around on an old Jamis Boss Cruiser. I love my Fat Bike! It makes me feel like a 9 year old kid with a new Huffy BMX bike. Loads of fun. I doubt I will keep up with my 29" friends, but I don't care. This bike seems to have a lot of smiles per mile and that is what matters to me right now. My wife says I keep having this big goofy grin on my face when I ride.

    Let us know what you decide.

    Take care,

    Mike

  9. #9
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,505
    You do know if you get a Muk or any of the symmetrical fatbikes, you can also use 29 or 29+ wheels on it.
    Actually, you can do 29+ on the Surlys too. Just gotta be offset.
    I like turtles

  10. #10
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,378
    Also, don't you get a 29er wheelset with the Framed Minnesota fat bikes? So you could have both.

    On Sale Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike Black/White 2014

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Also, don't you get a 29er wheelset with the Framed Minnesota fat bikes? So you could have both.

    On Sale Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike Black/White 2014
    I just discovered that model! I have to buy two bikes + helmets and lights for us, and these are a little more money than I wanted to spend (800 was my self imposed limit) but I may just order it and get the helmets on the next check, unless she picks a less expensive bike.

    The extra wheel set is pretty cool. Dang!

    I am guessing I need a 19 or 20 but they only have 18 in the color I like... wondering how much a difference will that make. I'm 6'1''.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    The Minnesota extra wheel deal says it expired two days ago, but its still being offered on their site.

    I hope my refund check shows up quick enough. LOL

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
    I think some people here take biking a bit to seriously and refer to bikes as "tools". Too often I read "right tool for the job" blah blah blah. C'mon guys, they're TOYS... grab a toy and go have fun.
    ^^THIS^^

    That sums up why a lot of people are backlashing against fatbikes right now. "They are slow", "you don't NEED that big of a tire," "they are pointless..." blah blah blah.
    Mountain bikes are TOYS. No one NEEDS one at all. The point is to use them for fun. If you have more fun on a fatbike, buy a fatbike. If you like 29ers better, get a 29er, but don't tell ME what I should be having fun on.

    Tomahawk, the Framed fatty with the extra wheels seems like a great option for what you've described. That way you can try both for cheap before you dump a ton of money into either. I always encourage people to try many different bikes before dropping several grand on one. Chances are you'll like anything you buy because bikes just plain kick-ass. But if you can find what you like best, it will really be worth it. Good luck with whatever you get, I'm sure you'll love it!

  14. #14
    Classic weekend warrior
    Reputation: sk1er18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk 300WM View Post
    I am guessing I need a 19 or 20 but they only have 18 in the color I like... wondering how much a difference will that make. I'm 6'1''.
    Fun on a bicycle is directly related to proper fit.... if the bike doesn't fit, level of fun goes down.

    Definitely sacrifice color for fit..... you can always paint/powdercoat the bike to make it look like you want.

    Edit: and +3 for Framed bikes with both wheelsets... definitely win/win. I actually sent that link to one of my friends; pretty sure he's buying one as his first bike (other than bmx) as well.
    -09 GF X-Caliber
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -38Frameworks Jackalope (hers)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk 300WM View Post
    Good or bad idea to get a fat bike as my first bike?

    I rode BMX bikes as a kid. Haven't been on a bike in 15 years or so. I won't be doing anything too extreme. Mostly local bike paths, dirt roads (bike packing) and maybe some really tame single track if there is such a thing.

    Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
    Keep in mind that you are asking this question in a fat bike forum so the replies might be, you know... slightly biased.

    My advice to anyone buying a bike is to try riding a few before choosing which bike to buy. Some people have more fun on a 29er hardtail, some on a 26er full suspension, some on a fat bike, etc.

    Hopefully a local bike shop or a friend has a few bikes that you can take for test rides. I've known people that returned from their first fat bike ride with a massive stupid grin and a plan to immediately buy a fat bike. I've also known people that returned from their first fat bike ride saying: meh, I like being able to go faster on a normal mountain bike.

    You could easily fall into either category.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    I understand the bias but it was a risk I wanted to take because who better to tell me if it's a good choice for a first bike than people who ride them.

    In my first post on the beginners board no one answered my questions about the bikes I was inquiring about and were more interested in trying to steer me down a path I am not interested in.

    Unfortunately for me I don't know anyone in the sport and the only fatties I am able to afford are mail order.

    I am going to see if I can test drive the Trek Farley because the local Trek dealer has one ... I guess that will let me know enough if I like the big tires or not.

    I pretty much grew out of my new for speed and with some old injuries of mine that I have to constantly be mindful of not aggravating, I'm sure what speed I am missing out on won't be noticed for a while. My risk taking living on the edge days are over. Heh

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,563
    I dunno...you may want to suffer on a "normal" bike for a while so you can appreciate the fatbike difference .

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    lol well when I was single I lived by the buy both mantra (mostly guns) but I probably won't be able to get myself a second bike for a good long while, with getting married next year and such.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk 300WM View Post
    I understand the bias but it was a risk I wanted to take because who better to tell me if it's a good choice for a first bike than people who ride them.

    In my first post on the beginners board no one answered my questions about the bikes I was inquiring about and were more interested in trying to steer me down a path I am not interested in.

    Unfortunately for me I don't know anyone in the sport and the only fatties I am able to afford are mail order.

    I am going to see if I can test drive the Trek Farley because the local Trek dealer has one ... I guess that will let me know enough if I like the big tires or not.

    I pretty much grew out of my new for speed and with some old injuries of mine that I have to constantly be mindful of not aggravating, I'm sure what speed I am missing out on won't be noticed for a while. My risk taking living on the edge days are over. Heh
    Trying any fat bike, even if not one you are considering, would be good.

    What I meant by a normal bike being faster isn't about riding crazy fast and doing extreme stuff. Instead, "faster" can mean riding at a pace you enjoy without getting too out of breath or tired. Fat bikes take more energy to ride in most conditions and some people don't like having to pedal harder just to go their regular speed.

    This isn't a criticism of fat bikes. Instead, it is acknowledging that some people find them to be more fun while other people find them to be less fun. Which category you fall into can only be answered by you riding a fat bike.

    I don't want to be discouraging though. It is great that you're excited to ride and that's what matters most. If a fat bike perks your interest enough to make you actually buy a bike and ride it, that's a good thing. And if in a year you decide you want something that pedals more easily, the mrs might even let you buy a second bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Well if I can get my hands on the Minnesota bike that comes with the extra 29r wheel set, then I'm set... But their site says that offer expired yesterday, despite it still being available on check out... But I won't have the money for another week or two.

  21. #21
    MPE
    MPE is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk 300WM View Post
    Well if I can get my hands on the Minnesota bike that comes with the extra 29r wheel set, then I'm set... But their site says that offer expired yesterday, despite it still being available on check out... But I won't have the money for another week or two.
    The guys at The House Bike shop were pretty cool on the phone. Call and ask them or email. Also, check out he Minnesota link in this form. Some guys say they will be selling their "Fattie Slims" after they get their bike. I am keeping my slims to play around with, but I expect my Minnesota to be Fat 98% of the time.

    So far, I am very happy with my Minnesota 2.0, but I have not had it on too many trails yet.

    Take care,

    Mike

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Hey MPE. Already got an email out to them just waiting to hear back.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Correct me if I am wrong (good chance of that, being a noob) but it seems to me the BD Motobecane Fat Bike has better components (brakes, shifters, crank specifically) than the Minnesota?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    57
    Well I ended up ordering a 29er (X caliber 7) and am going to start saving for a Surly build. Rode a Pugsley Saturday and loved it but I need a bike sooner rather than later and decided I want a Surly and not one of the cheap ones.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Teton29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    288
    Congratulations Tomahawk! That is a solid choice. Welcome back to biking!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Search ,buy, build, Ride On 1111111One Fatty.
    By TRAIL CRANKER in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
  2. First GREAT fatty ride
    By Jisch in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
  3. on one fatty bud and lou
    By stesteste in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
  4. First Fatty (Bike and Ride)
    By dustyduke22 in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
  5. I'm such a fat fatty-a**-fatty-fat-butt
    By pippinr in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •