mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Fattie recommendation please

I have a road bike that I ride a few days a week in good weather. So I am not a newbie to riding but I have no idea about riding in the woods.
    Im looking to try and get in the woods and this older body needs a comfortable ride. I was told to look at the fatties. I live in a very rocky area with nothing but rough trails and mountains. Hoping to find something of quality for under 2k . Oh also this granny needs easy gears ( bad knees)
    thank you all for your time and willingness to help me

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like 9ZERO7 bikes. This bike with a bluto added on would work. 2017 Whiteout AL NX 1x11 - Fatbikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by poni View Post
    I have a road bike that I ride a few days a week in good weather. So I am not a newbie to riding but I have no idea about riding in the woods.
    Im looking to try and get in the woods and this older body needs a comfortable ride. I was told to look at the fatties. I live in a very rocky area with nothing but rough trails and mountains. Hoping to find something of quality for under 2k . Oh also this granny needs easy gears ( bad knees)
    Once you get a fat bike you will never be back on the road! Fortunately there are quite a few good bikes at that price. Personally I ride a DiamondBack El Oso that I got for $1,500 here: http://amzn.to/2kstTrW . This gives tons of room to upgrade an already great bike. It fits 5" tires and comes with a bluto fork from the start ($650 upgrade). This is great intro to fat biking for anyone. Also, don't make the newbie mistake of running tires at 30PSI, A 5" tire should be around 6PSI in the woods or 3PSI on snow.

Hope this helps!
    -Ben

mtbr member
    I am new to fat biking. I started in September on a Framed Wolftrax. This was a good bike to start on. SRAM x5 components and easy to find for under $900. As I started to enjoy the bike more and more I started hitting the local singlestracks and I fell in love with the 4" tire. Then I rode with some good fat bikers and my Framed bike felt heavy and not very nimble with its long 100mm stem and long 468mm chainstay and full rigid setup. After 700 miles I took the plunge and bought a 2016 Salsa Blackborow GX1. This bike was originally $2999.99, but since Salsa is changing the geo of the new Mukluk line to be pretty much identical to the Blackborow they discontinued the Blackborow which allowed to get it for $2200 with a Bluto front. I know have a couple hundred miles on it on snow singletracks and it is great. Even though it is almost the same weight as the Framed it feels and acts lighter. Shorter 440mm chainstay makes it easier to get the front wheel up and shorter 70mm stem keeps the front lively. It has a nice SRAM GX setup and shifts smooth and the hydraulic brakes are very responsive. It is also very durable as I have taken a few spills on it trying to keep up with the big boys. Again these are the only two bike I have been on, but the geometry of the Salsa and gear setup makes it a great bike for me.

mtbr member
    no double get a farley 7 or farley 5 to update
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I love my fatty but with comfort in mind... unless you're getting it to ride in the snow I'd also check into full suspension 27.5+ bikes... no idea what's out there under 2k but it's worth looking into

Elitest thrill junkie
    I live in a very rocky area with nothing but rough trails and mountains. Hoping to find something of quality for under 2k . Oh also this granny needs easy gears ( bad knees)
    I recommend a trail bike, full suspension, possibly plus sized tires, but not a rigid fatbike. I think some people may look at fat bikes and think 5" tires=5" of suspension, but that's not true, especially in summer. There's a reason we don't drive around with big tires at low pressure with no suspension on our cars.
    Last edited by Jayem; 02-10-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Check out Growlerbikes.com
    The Mr. Big Stuff with a Bluto comes in at $1900, has room for 5 inch tires, they sell it already with all the upgrades done so you wont have to worry about upgrading things for a long long time, plus they will paint it in any color you want. Check out the thread on it too, "Wheels" the owner will do whatever he can to satisfy the consumer and will make the bike as personal to you as you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    wow there is so much to this, I am checking out each and everyone of the bikes/ options you are all recommending. I am not sure if I can go through snow, but I will try. My trails here are washed out and rocky with crevices, I can't really take my horse through it. So to purchase a fattie for this type of terrain but also be able to ride it on nice dirt roads and maybe the street to access more dirt roads, will a 4 inch tire be what I should consider? Full suspension as well, right? and the 27.5 is mentioned geez I am so ignorant is that the tire height? which size height tire will be better to roll over this stuff. How light to I need to keep this bike to pedal up the mountain, given my knees lol? I wish I had ordered a triple on my road bike and did change out the gearing twice already as I get older I can't get up these mtns like I used to. So what gearing shall I look for , so this old lady can climb up the hills. I have no pride and can sit and spin lol Thanks again for all of the replies I really appreciate your time!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you haven't already you should go down to your local bike shop, talk to them, and then rent both a fat bike and a full suspension bike so you can feel the difference yourself on the trails.

Fat tires smooth out the little bumps from rocks and roots and make it easier to ride through the rough sections as you don't have to be as careful with your lines as you would on a skinnier tired mountain bike. A full suspension will provide a much more comfortable ride though on a rough trail. I suggested a full suspension 27.5+ (27.5 is the wheel height the + is for bigger tires, usually around 3" wide).

But really the best bet is to rent a few different ones to see what you feel most comfortable on.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a Pivot LES fat. probably out of the price range. And more recently an Imust Malamute. Holy crap is that Malamute a plush ride. They sell for 3300.00. So a little pricey too. But really a different beast than anything else I have ever ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
    If you haven't already you should go down to your local bike shop, talk to them, and then rent both a fat bike and a full suspension bike so you can feel the difference yourself on the trails.

Fat tires smooth out the little bumps from rocks and roots and make it easier to ride through the rough sections as you don't have to be as careful with your lines as you would on a skinnier tired mountain bike. A full suspension will provide a much more comfortable ride though on a rough trail. I suggested a full suspension 27.5+ (27.5 is the wheel height the + is for bigger tires, usually around 3" wide).

But really the best bet is to rent a few different ones to see what you feel most comfortable on.
    I agree with this. Full fat is nice, but I only ride mine in snow. The rest of the year, I'm on a half-Plus bike (only Plus up front). I'd head down to your local shop and test a 27.5 Plus bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I agree with this. Full fat is nice, but I only ride mine in snow. The rest of the year, I'm on a half-Plus bike (only Plus up front). I'd head down to your local shop and test a 27.5 Plus bike.
    Interesting idea. How do you fit a plus sized 27.5 tire on the front fork? Is it plus sized bike you ride? I have thought about running a boost fork and front wheel on my Mach 6 trail bike. Is that what you have done?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I agree that something like a trek stache or similar plus sized hard tail may be more efficient and provide more comfort than a full blown rigid fatbike. If you do want a fatbike though, and dont want to spend alot of money, id take a look at framed bikes. The guy above talked about the wolftrax, which is only available from dealers. However they basically make the same bike called the alaskan that is available online for around 1100. They also make a cheaper line called the Minnesota that I wouldn't be afraid to ride.

turtles make me hot
    I also like 9 zero 7's bikes. I have one with two different fat wheelsets and a 29+ wheelset.
    I like turtles

sluice box
    Pugsley
    ptarmigan hardcore

FB&H rider
    Agree of course with the recommendations to get down to a local bike shop and try a few combinations out!
    In the end that's the only answer since you'll have to see what you like.

I love fat and right now have a full rigid (no suspension) and it works for me cruising the town or riding the trails.

Obviously budget is the other question since you see the range here from under $1000 to several thousand. As has been oft-repeated you get what you pay for; I started with an entry Trek Farley 5 and still love it; just make sure you get enough bike to prevent it from sitting in the garage
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Another newbies 2\100. I recently got back into bikes via a fatty. I did my research and was set to buy a rigid with 150/197 thru axles that was easily upgradeable at about $1200. Ended up with something else because of availibility, still happy with the fatty concept but a touch of buyers remorse. In hindsight, if it was available I would have been all over a Growler, because all the basic upgrades are Doriva already at a decent price (tubeless, carbon bar and seatpost, decent seat etc). Even then having come off a full sus enduro bike back in the day, I would go a 4 inch tyre full sus as my do everything machine, if I was to do it again

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    thanks to you all for your help.I learned a lot! I went to Growler and found Wheels very informative and so helpful. He listened to everything I told him and helped me make decisions. I am so excited to say I have ordered a Growler Mr Big Stuff. Pics to follow as soon as it comes in! Thank you all again for your help. Poni

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Congratz, poni!! Welcome to the fAt side. You're gonna have a real treat to get the feel of a fatbike as opposed to a road bike. It's gonna be fun.
    Enjoy the new bike in good health.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thank you so much! so excited to be in the woods soon an off the road!

FB&H rider
    Poni, congrats!
    I think you'll LOVE it!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thank you so much! so excited to be in the woods soon an off the road!
    You're welcome.
    An adventure with every ride! That's where the fun begins. You're gonna be a Toys R Us kid when you take that first ride.

I'm looking forward to your ride reports and pix in the fatbike pix thread.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...