Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Fatter than Moonlander II.

OK, it looks there will be nothing fatter this year. 8-(

So I have three questions for you, as I'm not sure how to spend my money excess now. 8-)

So I'm hesitating among:

1. Czech Duratec: http://www.jankopka.cz/wp-content/ga...a-img_6860.jpg (looks like Pug on fatter tyres) Na sn??ném kole proti psím sp?e?ením 2013 « Jan Kopka ? Extrémní biker
    2. Moonlander
    3. 9:zero:7
    4. Fatback

• All of them on Clown Shue and B&L, cca Deore, BB7, no carbon parts (don;t wanna brake them 8-)).
    • Moonlander is significantly cheaper then others.
    • Duratec has swapable wheels (like Pugsley). I thought Moonie had this option also, or not?
    • Moonie and Duratec have bigger space for frame bag, e.g. with 1l vacuum flask in vertical position.

Why to buy this or that?

Is better for packed and unpacked snow (no off-snow riding planned) B&L od BFL?

ThanX for any idea guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Love the look of the Fatback!! new 9:zero:7 has a silly size front hub (142mm) and if you want swappable hubs for the moonie, you need the offset fork.
    The Duratec looks like a nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Front hub 142mm? Yet 190mm is quite exotic here in Europe, but it is must on this bike, but this front hub. I have to check hub sizing on Fatback.

Surly does not offer offset fork any more, but it looks it is on stock in some shops, so there is still chance.
    Duratec is cca Moonlander - almoist the same geometry. And it is cca $1500 more expensive... Else I'll not hesitate to take local brand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Alas, the blog say's you can still get a offset for the moonie..... some shops might still have them in stock if you are willing to ship over from the states

Stick an Offset Fork in it | Blog | Surly Bikes
    Universal Cycles -- Surly Moonlander Offset Fork

Apologies, the 142mm fork for the 9:zero:7 is for the carbon one I believe, my normal aluminum are 135mm.

What about a carver Ti o'beast with carbon forks? they will fit BFL's or Bud & Lou?

Ti O'Beast 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Alas, the blog say's you can still get a offset for the moonie..... some shops might still have them in stock if you are willing to ship over from the states

Stick an Offset Fork in it | Blog | Surly Bikes
    It looks, but probably in the winter...

Apologies, the 142mm fork for the 9:zero:7 is for the carbon one I believe, my normal aluminum are 135mm.
    Your 907 is 190mm or 170mm frame?

What about a carver Ti o'beast with carbon forks? they will fit BFL's or Bud & Lou?

Ti O'Beast 2012
    Great idea, I have just sent an email to UK Dealer. 8-)
    My setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lesq02a8pcd0ns/TiOBeast.xlsx

Shall I change some components (with yelow background) = stem, headset, cranks, hubs? Aren't they to bad or expensive on other side?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My bike is the 170mm rear.

Your selections look good (I have hope hubs & Thomson stem / seatpost) but for the extra money I would get an XT or XTR drive train. Spending that amount of cash and making sacrifices might ruin the experience!

Also, Sideways Cycles is were I got my bike from, Tim is a great guy and will help you out with whatever you need!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Even 190mm models have 135mm "standard" front hub: Fatbikes.com 9:ZERO:7 190mm Nome (Build Specs at bottom).

So now it looks as fight between money and titanium. I have to persuade myself I must have bike two times more expensive to Moonie. 8-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ive got a carver Ti here i the UK

runs bud /lou, but not on 100's think it will clear darryls, I use marge lites on it

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    ive got a carver Ti here i the UK

runs bud /lou, but not on 100's think it will clear darryls, I use marge lites on it
    Is this Ti Snow Frame or Ti O'Beast 2012
    The second one has "Clearance for 4.7" + tires"

Yes, this one will be better with "Clearance for 5" + tires" TRANS-Fat but price will be a little bit higher.
    It will be interesting to test, if full suspension will be better or worse on deeper snow. I gues it will not help at least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    its the second one the 2012

mtbr member
    What ever happened to the Carver Mega O'Beast? Should have been out by now. Anyone know if thy are still making it?
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    What ever happened to the Carver Mega O'Beast? Should have been out by now. Anyone know if thy are still making it?
    What was it? Don't you mean this, only renamed? TRANS-Fat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    no, there were rumors of a mego o beast, hardtail that'll def take 4.8's on 100's with plenty of space

but not heard owt since it was mention a while back, but then we are always playing catch up here in the UK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    no, there were rumors of a mego o beast, hardtail that'll def take 4.8's on 100's with plenty of space

but not heard owt since it was mention a while back, but then we are always playing catch up here in the UK
    Here: Ti O'Beast 2012 they write: Clearance for 4.7" + tires and here: IditaFATTER Build Kit you can pay more: Surly Clown Shoe +$140 and Surly Bud and Lou 120tpi Ultralight 4.8" +40

So I count this frame can accommodate B&L on CS! Or they sell 100 only with narrow tires and vice versa? It would be strange.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    nope, my frame the 2012 Ti o beast, was desribed as taking 4.8's , but then the desription changed to say you might have some tyre/chain clearance issues when using 100's

mine wont clear lowest 2 gears running 2x9 with extra offset on crankset when ive got bud/lou on - its fine on bfl's (which are smaller than bud/lou in real world)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    nope, my frame the 2012 Ti o beast, was desribed as taking 4.8's , but then the desription changed to say you might have some tyre/chain clearance issues when using 100's

mine wont clear lowest 2 gears running 2x9 with extra offset on crankset when ive got bud/lou on - its fine on bfl's (which are smaller than bud/lou in real world)
    8-( I have read only the bike description carefully and the kit, not the frame itself. 8-(
    ThanX for warning. So I'm back between Duratec and Moonlander (as they will sell also offset forks...). I'll need probably to find someone to buy straight fork from me. 8-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Love the look of the Fatback!! new 9:zero:7 has a silly size front hub (142mm) and if you want swappable hubs for the moonie, you need the offset fork.
    The Duratec looks like a nice bike!
    If that is the case, it is an interesting development. 142mm hubs use the same body as 135mm hubs but have different caps. This was introduced for rear wheels in order to better support through axles. The extra 3.5mm protrosion per side slides into slots in the "dropout", but otherwise the spacing is still 135mm. It is entirely for helping center the hub and make it easy to slide in a through axle.

To achieve a through axle front fork on a fat bike and continue to use rear spacing, this is exactly how to do it using existing standards. Most hub manufacturers offer interchangeable caps to switch between 135 and 142, if the hub supports a through axle at all.

Here is an article that explains:
    12 mm x 142 mm Axle Standard Explained - Pinkbike

Granted, I don't actually know if 9zero7 is using 142mm hubs. And also, that would mean using a 12mm through axle instead of a 15 or 20mm axle, as is normally used on the front of bikes. Interesting possibilities indeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    At the end, the difference in price was not so big, so my Snowdoor is already ordered and hopefully it will come during one month or little bit later.
    I ordered parts a bit different from calculated standard, so price is still unknown. 8-)
    ?Snowdoor? « Jan Kopka ? Extrémní biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think going much fatter than a Moonlander will be a challenge. I did my first ride on the Moonlander yesterday and my heel hit the drive side seat stay before I clipped in. Heel strikes might be a real problem for a wider design.

midnight skulker
    Wait wait wait... What you are saying is there is NOThing fatter than a Moonlander?!

Well then. I am going to convince someone they definitely need a new updated something and sell me their "outdated" moon unit. (20" ;])
    Boy, are my parents gonna be pissed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Heel strike?? What size shoe are you wearing? I have been in my Lake size 47 winter boots, Look S-Track cleats, and never a heal strike. I guess the other question would be are you using other than stock build (Surly cranks etc)?

mtbr member
    My question is...

How fat, is too fat?

At the point where fat bikes are at now. Everyone loves the look however, there will come a point were the public will start viewing bikes that are too wide as a humorous oddity.

No matter how well it works.

Once a bike is looked at as a specialty idem. Then for get about production for the masses. And in turn, the aftermarket will never come on board. That will keep the prices too high.

At this point, people are always trying to improve on a good thing. Like the gentleman who wanted to improve on the 29er with a 36er. Sure, it might have worked better in some cases however, I sad it then, I say now.

Once a bike starts going beyond the public's perception of what a bike should look like, It will never sell.

Just saying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    Heel strike?? What size shoe are you wearing? I have been in my Lake size 47 winter boots, Look S-Track cleats, and never a heal strike. I guess the other question would be are you using other than stock build (Surly cranks etc)?
    Some people are pigeon toed...others walk like a duck. (me) Not everyone uses cycling shoes to keep their feet where others say they should be.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    My question is...

How fat, is too fat?

At the point where fat bikes are at now. Everyone loves the look however, there will come a point were the public will start viewing bikes that are too wide as a humorous oddity.

No matter how well it works.

Once a bike is looked at as a specialty idem. Then for get about production for the masses. And in turn, the aftermarket will never come on board. That will keep the prices too high.

At this point, people are always trying to improve on a good thing. Like the gentleman who wanted to improve on the 29er with a 36er. Sure, it might have worked better in some cases however, I sad it then, I say now.

Once a bike starts going beyond the public's perception of what a bike should look like, It will never sell.

Just saying.
    No.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    As I said, it was before clipped in. My heel was twisted inward as I stepped on the pedal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast