Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)

They lasted 2.5 months and maybe 10 days of regular old single track riding. Not destroyed but very rough. Not a good sign. I can't find any info on bearing size or part #. I'm going to check for # on old bearing or drop off at LBS and let them handle it. I wonder if there is a ceramic option. Any one else having problems already? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeworker View Post
    They lasted 2.5 months and maybe 10 days of regular old single track riding. Not destroyed but very rough. Not a good sign. I can't find any info on bearing size or part #. I'm going to check for # on old bearing or drop off at LBS and let them handle it. I wonder if there is a ceramic option. Any one else having problems already? Thoughts?
    The bearing numbers are on the bearings.....or a call to Hope should get you what you need.
    A few people here said they had bearing issues.....I got over a 2K miles on mine last year without issue. ( and have a few hundred on a new set of hubs)
    Don't waste your money on ceramic

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hope makes a good hub but the bearing are garbage. They will tell you the new hubs have good bearing, but I had about the same experience as you. Hope sent replacement bearing for me to my LBS but they looked like the bad set, I would not waste my time installing them. I took the old bearings out went to my local bearing supply house and for about $ 75 gave new Endo bearings they have worked great. ( I had more than one bearing that was bad in my hub with probably less than 500 miles on it and when i removed the seals the grease inside the failed bearing had no sign of water or anything else that was not suppose to be there )

mtbr member
    I had about 100 miles on mine before the hub bearings got crunchy. Replaced them with ceramic to try out. Got a spare set from Hope and another set of stainless just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hope part #'s
    Definitely not using OEM
    Looking at Enduro or Wood

gone walk about
    Thinking outloud.......why would they and why does Hope continue to install crap bearings that would / does detract from such a quality component??

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Thinking outloud.......why would they and why does Hope continue to install crap bearings that would / does detract from such a quality component??
    I'm not accusing Hope of this specifically because I have no experience with their hubs, but, some companies do this and gamble on the notion that you won't find out all that quickly.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can order Enduro replacement bearings from these guys: Enduro Sealed Bearings
    These are the bearing sizes from the Hope website:
    Bearing #/OD/ID/Width
    609 24 9 7
    6000 26 10 8
    6001 28 12 8
    6002 32 15 9
    61801 21 12 5
    61802 24 15 5
    61803 26 17 5
    61804 32 20 7
    61805 37 25 7
    61901 24 12 6
    61902 28 15 7
    61903 30 17 7
    17287 28 17 7
    17328 32 17 8

Not sure which ones you need, but should be easy enough to figure out. The Wheels Manufacturing site has a "View Compatibility" link for each bearing that lists hubs.
    Hope hubs are pretty easy to take apart, but getting the old bearings out might be tough unless you have a bearing extractor.

mtbr member
    Hope bearings are pure crap, my old EVO bearings lasted 2 months and I made the mistake of replacing them with another set of Hope bearings, gave out shortly thereafter, replaced with Enduros and everything ran smoothly until the free hub body cracked. Replace with Enduro and be happy (as long as the freehub body lasts).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Enduros ordered. I took the hub apart and the axle bearing on the hub side was the problem. the other side and hub bearings were ok but are getting replaced as a precaution.

mtbr member
    Enduros ordered. I took the hub apart and the axle bearing on the hub side was the problem. the other side and hub bearings were ok but are getting replaced as a precaution.
    So what bearings/part numbers did you order? I have not knocked the bearings out of mine but know I need to order new bearings. I checked them the other day and they were a little rough. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    61903 - axle
    17287 - freehub

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am guessing they are trying to hit a price point, and doing so by specing very cheap bearings. I had lots of issues with their bearings, and even after I had a personal phone conversation with Phil at Hope USA (the only person on staff who knows wtf is going on) who assured me the bearings in the steel freehub body he was sending me would be much better, guess what!!??

My other guess is that they maybe just streched the hub width out from a standard 135 (reference their 150mm hub for that wtf factor) and didn't account for additional forces? Leading to bearing failures they are not encountering in their stadard 135mm hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It seems like a long axle for two 7mm wide bearings. They may need to figure in some central location for another bearing or two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hope is sending replacements for what that is worth. Service was pretty good once I connected with someone willing to help.

Thingamejigger
    As other's have said the current crop of bearings are made of cheese....

One of my friends has had great customer service, in the fact the have replaced many bearings and even replaced the full hub and rebuilt the wheel, which still failed. Hope do try and resolve the problem but alas if their materials are rubbish it will never be resolved until they use a harder material for their bearing.

In the end he replaced with SKF bearing's refilled with marine axle grease and they are still buttery smooth.... I personally will be going straight for SKF's when I need to change mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As I said before, Hope makes a great hub and the people working their try to service their customers, but the lack of trying to fix the base of the problem is bad.

When I bought my hub I was assured it was the new generation of bearings with the 40 POE. Great, installed it under 500 miles one of the axle bearings failed with no sign of grease contamination just the ball bearings flatting. My LBS give me another bearing they had so I installed it, checked the other bearings they spin okay but no silky. Rode maybe a 100 miles freehub started making noise. Took it apart freehud bearings where starting to flatten. The freehud had small marks on body from engagement ring but had not really done any damage.

Went back to my LBS they call Hope to ask for new warranty bearing and if they would be the same bearing, Hope said they would be the same bearings. That is what I have a problem with Hopes unwillingness to fix the basic problem. We will warranty it with the same product that has failed multiple times for multiple customers. That is pretty poor customer service from the management. Fix the problem, not just shine your customers on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Amazing how people can have polar experiences with the same product.
    And I'm not doubting any of you who have had bearings fail.

After reading about some failures here....I bought a extra set of SKF bearings last year when I bought the 170 Fatsno. I put 2K miles on it and it was still smooth and never used the replacements.

So I now have 2 sets of 197 hubs....1 has a few hundred muddy miles on it and I just checked it...it's spinning smooth. I hope I don't have to swap the bearings...but if I do....it's a cheap solution.

mtbr member
    I pulled the hub body off last night cause i felt there was a bearing issue. The hub body bearing underneath the pawls has come apart. Not sure how to get it out now and what bearings to use if/when I get the failed bearing out.
    Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)-bad-bearing-stuck-hub.jpg

viva la v-brakes!
    I sent my hub all the way back to England for service. 20 miles later, they roll rough again. This is after 2 bearing replacements last winter. Completely unacceptable.

The bearings on my standard MTB Hope hubs on my monstercross bike have lasted longer, but not as long as they should.

I'm glad to hear that Enduro bearings are fixing this. I was assuming there was a manufacturing issue with ms-alighned axle/shell or something.

Still, these are EXPENSIVE hubs and failure should not be an option. Perhaps I'm spoiled with my 15 year old Chris King hubs that are still the rocking on my primary mountain bike, with simple servicing every 1-2 years.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 01-12-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Enduro bearing are very good and are cheap, you can go to ceramic bearing but I donít know that they would be a benefit and are a lot more expensive.
    You can usually get under the bearing race with a small pick at an angle, I grind them flat be for I try this. The bearing race is no that tight of a fit just keep working your way around tapping it with a small hammer

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    61903 - axle
    17287 - freehub
    So for a Fatsno 190mm I need two 61903 and three 17287? Thanks- don't want to have to order twice.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

All fat, all the time.
    Everyone should post what hub width, and axle config they are using, might help to diagnose where the issues are coming from.

My old 135's (both fat bike & regular bike) have thousands of miles, zero bearing issues. I clean & repack the grease in the freehub once/year & that is it, set & forget.

I don't have enough time on my new 170 to see how it'll do long term.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    So for a Fatsno 190mm I need two 61903 and three 17287? Thanks- don't want to have to order twice.
    I'd double check that. If the Fatsno hubs have the same bearing layout as the regular 135mm Pro2 Evos then there are 3 different bearings used:

2 x S61903
    1 x S17287
    2 x S6803

http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn...arExploded.pdf

mtbr member
    A bearing failed in my front fatsno hub after less than 100 miles. Hope sent me a replacement, but there was a mistake somewhere and it was the wrong size. Ordered and installed enduro and have had 0 problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    I pulled the hub body off last night cause i felt there was a bearing issue. The hub body bearing underneath the pawls has come apart. Not sure how to get it out now and what bearings to use if/when I get the failed bearing out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad bearing stuck in hub.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	953854
    I had the same thing happen. I really didn't notice the hub acting all that funny, but pulled it apart and found a bunch of balls floating around and the inner race shreaded. It was at that piont I called hope for a complete freehub body w/ bearings.

Try this link for hopes how to: How To Videos | Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have had issues with Hope Pro2 EVO rear hubs and my 1st gen Fatsno 170 rear hubs. I think heavier riders and fat bikers would do well to look elsewhere for a reliable rear hub. I've cracked 5 alloy freehub bodies and deformed two stainless bodies. when they increased the axle size in the rear hub the bearing orifice on the freehub increased too. that means the wall thickness is less and prone to deform under load. Giant rear cogs seem to accelerate the issue. it literally ovalizes and crushes that inside freehub bearing, leaving shrapnel everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ordered two of each. I've got the hub all apart and only see 4 bearings

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    With my Fatboy all apart in the garage waiting for the new bearings I can't help but admire my Alfine equipped Pugs that has never given me a lick of trouble in 7 yrs and over 5k miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    I have had issues with Hope Pro2 EVO rear hubs and my 1st gen Fatsno 170 rear hubs. I think heavier riders and fat bikers would do well to look elsewhere for a reliable rear hub. I've cracked 5 alloy freehub bodies and deformed two stainless bodies. when they increased the axle size in the rear hub the bearing orifice on the freehub increased too. that means the wall thickness is less and prone to deform under load. Giant rear cogs seem to accelerate the issue. it literally ovalizes and crushes that inside freehub bearing, leaving shrapnel everywhere.
    Wow 5 Freehub bodies!
    Did you look and see if the bearings was bad in the failed freehubs?
    I have a newer generation Fatso 190 with the 40POE freehub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I'd double check that. If the Fatsno hubs have the same bearing layout as the regular 135mm Pro2 Evos then there are 3 different bearings used:

2 x S61903
    1 x S17287
    2 x S6803

Thanks- I popped off the end caps and freehub and those appear to correct.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How do you know if the hub is a newer generation? They have only been out for months not years, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Around 500 miles, mostly snow, on a 170 QR 40 POE hope with 42T cog, runs great.

Have had no issues with Hopes on my 135 mm bikes.

:shrug:
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Problems discussed are with the 190

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    My other guess is that they maybe just streched the hub width out from a standard 135 (reference their 150mm hub for that wtf factor) and didn't account for additional forces? Leading to bearing failures they are not encountering in their stadard 135mm hubs.
    This sounds likely. Longer axle + heavier wheel + disc brake rotor torque + average quality bearings = short life.

mtbr member

Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil View Post
    This sounds likely. Longer axle + heavier wheel + disc brake rotor torque + average quality bearings = short life.
    I have three other hope hub sets of normal size. All of them have rough, rough bearings. So, it's not unique to the wider hubs. Of course my 170 fatsno hub is also a rough mess.
    The roughness starts very early on.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I misspoke here. The freehub has three bearings

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hope fat hubs have some serious reliability issues. I have seen both the rear AND front fail on fat bikes. How can a front hub fail? Rear's are the worst. I wouldn't use a rear Hope fat hub if somebody gave it to me.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post

2 x S61903
    1 x S17287
    2 x S6803

My LBS has suggested I try a local bearing supplier for replacements. Are these numbers an Enduro part # or a general size/shape for bearings?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Hope fat hubs have some serious reliability issues. I have seen both the rear AND front fail on fat bikes. How can a front hub fail? Rear's are the worst. I wouldn't use a rear Hope fat hub if somebody gave it to me.
    Well, this is great to hear. I replaced the stock OEM hubs with Hope to make it a more reliable setup due to the harsh conditions. 'Hope'fully I didn't waste $400.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    My LBS has suggested I try a local bearing supplier for replacements. Are these numbers an Enduro part # or a general size/shape for bearings?
    An industry standard for bearings:

Bearing Numbers and Types Explained

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Problems discussed are with the 190
    The Mayor posted positive data for 170 and 190. I agree that the issues seem to be with 190, but it helps drive conclusions if we post data for both configs. And qr vs thru axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Rear's are the worst. I wouldn't use a rear Hope fat hub if somebody gave it to me.
    Why not, run it til the bearings fail and then put some enduros in and you are set. I'll agree that the stock bearings are lacking, but Hopes are easy to work on and take readily available bearings.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbiker74 View Post
    The Mayor posted positive data for 170 and 190. I agree that the issues seem to be with 190, but it helps drive conclusions if we post data for both configs. And qr vs thru axle.
    I run 170's on a 2011 Salsa Mukluk. After 10 months of use the rear bearings failed. I can do the replacement but took em to my local bikeshop and had a new set of bearings installed under warranty in a day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The freehub body is the same for 135mm pro2 evo and 170mm fatsno hubs. The gold alloy bodies cracked along the key spine, the inner bearing was in pieces everywhere. I switched to the stainless steel freehub bodies in both my 135 hubs and my 170 hub, which seem to last longer before the bearing explodes. At least the body stays together.

Replacing my 135 hubs with Chris King. Hoping CK releases a 170 fat bike hub sometime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For those that have been having Hope hub failures, were you using the Hope QR axle or the stock part? The reason I ask is I measured my stock Fatboy axle and it is .2mm smaller in diameter vs the Hope part.

The way that QRs mount should make that difference a non issue, but then again with the flex of fat frames, maybe that explains why some have no issues and others have plenty?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why not, run it til the bearings fail and then put some enduros in and you are set. I'll agree that the stock bearings are lacking, but Hopes are easy to work on and take readily available bearings.

Better question is why would you want to buy something that cost as much as a "real" hub knowing it's going to fail, and then you have to buy more bearings and fix it yourself? There are better options out there that won't leave me stranded and screw up my ride for the day. Hope rear fat hubs are a ticking time bomb, and their fronts are only marginally better. Like I said in a previous post, how in the heck does a front hub fail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Better question is why would you want to buy something that cost as much as a "real" hub knowing it's going to fail, and then you have to buy more bearings and fix it yourself? There are better options out there that won't leave me stranded and screw up my ride for the day. Hope rear fat hubs are a ticking time bomb, and their fronts are only marginally better. Like I said in a previous post, how in the heck does a front hub fail?
    Which other rear 190mm hub would you recommend in the $200 range? Thanks!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Like I said in a previous post, how in the heck does a front hub fail?
    Easy- either defective bearings or as I found out on my dirtbike- failure to properly torque the front axle.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Which other rear 190mm hub would you recommend in the $200 range? Thanks!

I sense a bit of smart alek in your reply so I will leave you with this and then bow out. Hope fat hubs fail at an alarming rate, if that doesn't bother you that's fine, it bothers me. I think Hope 190 hubs cost a little more than $200, more like $275 +/- is more accurate, then you have to add in the cost of your Enduro bearings and the hassle of fixing it after it fails, and it will fail. If all that's Ok with you who am I to argue, it's your bike and to your comment about defective bearings....Hope sure seems to have a lot of those. Weird. Did I mention their freehub bodies leave a lot to be desired to? Sign me up!!

I don't care if they cost a penny, I will go with something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast