Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Having the same problems with an older (24 POE) 170mm Fatsno hub. I've broken two aluminum freehub shells, exploded two inner freehub bearings, and replaced two main drive side bearings after they got very gritty. All have been stock hope bearings. I'm 300+ lbs.

I had an older steel freehub from a past hope hub but the bearing ID is too small to fit on the Fatsno axle. I thought all hope freehubs were the same?

There is some confusion on what bearing are required for the freehub. Is it just two 17287's or is it two 6803's and one 17287?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No, the Fatsno hub and the Pro 2 EVO use a thicker axle, so the freehub body is different too. You need a freehub for a Pro 2 EVO hub

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Ugg, just stumbled upon this thread. Decided to check my rear hub, lo and behold the bearings are crunchy. Also the aluminum freehub body is all chewed up. Front bearings still feel good though. 3500 km.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bearings are pretty cheap, easy to get, and easy to replace. I repacked some after 2 seasons, put brand new ones in others (I have 4 hope hubs).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Bearings are pretty cheap, easy to get, and easy to replace. I repacked some after 2 seasons, put brand new ones in others (I have 4 hope hubs).
    Jayem....this is a interwebz forum.
    You should only post negative things. That's the rulez!
    But , yes....I agree with you.
    Oddly ( or not so oddly)....the Fatsno rear I have that is only used during winter is a little rough after 3 seasons. While the Fatsno rear that is used all year , for 3 years, with thousands of miles on it....is rolling smooth ( but is going to get new bearings for the reasons you stated)

All fat, all the time.
    Crazy, I've had 4 sets (still have 3, sold one with old fatty), first one that is over 10 years old. All on original bearings.
    Had a couple pawl springs break on the oldest one but that's it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Went from fatsno to dt Swiss 350 & will never go back. Hope- broken bearings & cracked hub bodies, Hope should have had monthly direct withdrawal from bank account it was costing a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Well I only checked my bearings because I came upon this thread. A lot of people have had problems apparently. But thanks for the positive news. It seems like it's just the two 6903's that need replacing on mine. Just had to replace the bearings in my RaceFace BB30 last week, hence the disappointment. I'm about to embark on a 4000km fatbike tour so I need things to be reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12