Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Which other rear 190mm hub would you recommend in the $200 range? Thanks!
    I don't think there are many issues with 9:zero:7 or Salsa rear hubs. I have 9:zero:7 rear hubs, and so far so good (only roughly 100 clyde miles).

If you have the cash (or can save for it) I9 or the (new to the market) Onyx hubs might be a wise investment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I sense a bit of smart alek in your reply so I will leave you with this and then bow out. Hope fat hubs fail at an alarming rate, if that doesn't bother you that's fine, it bothers me. I think Hope 190 hubs cost a little more than $200, more like $275 +/- is more accurate, then you have to add in the cost of your Enduro bearings and the hassle of fixing it after it fails, and it will fail. If all that's Ok with you who am I to argue, it's your bike and to your comment about defective bearings....Hope sure seems to have a lot of those. Weird. Did I mention their freehub bodies leave a lot to be desired to? Sign me up!!

I don't care if they cost a penny, I will go with something else.
    I'm not trying to be smart- I bought my Hope 190mm from Modern Bike for $208 shipped. It has been sitting in the box unused as insurance as my dealer repaired Fatboy hub is starting to wobble again. I'm going to wait and see what the dealer does when it goes again.

If there is a reasonably priced alternative I'm all ears as I can still return the Hope. I've done a bunch of googling and aside from $395 I9's I haven't seen hubs that don't have similar issues. Even with the I9 there isn't much guarantee as they are new to the market and their user base is much smaller. From what I've read customer service may be lacking as well.

I've bought nice reliable complete wheelsets for my road bike and MTB that cost $300, so why should I have to pay $395 for a reliable rear hub?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I don't think there are many issues with 9:zero:7 or Salsa rear hubs. I have 9:zero:7 rear hubs, and so far so good (only roughly 100 clyde miles).

If you have the cash (or can save for it) I9 or the (new to the market) Onyx hubs might be a wise investment.
    Thanks! I'll have to take a look at the 9:zero:7 hubs- just wish they had color choices or that I had gone basic black with the front hub. I had written off salsa after reading this: Are Salsa hubs weak?

The others are too rich for my blood. When I could buy a very nice second fat bike for $1600, not looking to spend 1/4 of that on a hub.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

viva la v-brakes!
    litespeedaddict, you're being really effing helpful. This thread is for people who already own the hub, and are trying to figure out what's going wrong and what we can do about it. I think the number of issues we're reporting here speaks for itself regarding the reliability and value (or lack there of) of these hubs. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, go waste someone eases time reading your snarky and venomous comments. Life is too short to get so upset over someone else's hubs.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So the question is... For those that have swapped to Enduro bearings did it fix the issue, or will I need to buy some bearing stocks if I keep the hub?
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    We have to remember that fat bikes haven't really been around that long, and the number of 190 frames on the planet is not even a drop in the bucket, compared to the 135mm mtnbikes. There are millions of miles of history on standard 135mm hubs, which has led to the price and quality we experience today.

When you buy into something this new, you have to expect to pay more for quality, regardless if is a bike part, car part, or blow up doll.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Same thing here the first set of bearings last me about a hundred miles, the second set I install (don't remember from where) are already showing signs of failure after about 300 miles

mtbr member
    Mine (190mm Pro2 EVO) started making noise this morning - kind of a grinding/chattering sound under load (when climbing, etc). It has 34 miles on it. :\
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmmmm....
    1 post about bearings and now all the Hopes are assploding.
    The power of the interwebz....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That sucks! Me thinks I may be just as well off sticking with the stock Fatboy hub then- at least that one is fixed for free, but it is nowhere near as pretty.
    Last edited by Paochow; 01-11-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That sucks! Me thinks I may be just as well off sticking with the stock Fatboy hub then- at least that one is fixed for free.
    Before you throw in the towel...try them.
    I have almost 700 miles on a set of 150/197 Hopes with plenty of water, mud and snow/ice.....and they are still spinning fine.( I just pulled apart the rear hub)
    And if they get crappy....I have 40 bucks of good bearing here to fix that.
    First world problems.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All I found wrong in my hub was one rough bearing for the axle. No sign of contamination of any sort. Freehub seems fine. I just thought it happened too soon. I fully understand that we're dealing with some new stuff here and there is going to be teething pains. Enduros are installed for axle - 30min/ $20 job - I'll post up how that goes when I know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Hmmmm....
    1 post about bearings and now all the Hopes are assploding.
    The power of the interwebz....
    That has crossed my mind. That and I'm guessing that Hope has a lot more hubs out there than many of the other brands. For every rider with a failure there is probably a few without issue, otherwise Hope would be going broke sending out bearings and parts.

After working on motorcycle hubs, what really make me like these hubs is how easy they appear to work on. No specialized puller or long drift to swap axle bearings.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    well this is an interesting thread.... my novatec hub that came on my fattie exploded shorty after getting it when I tourqued it to death... then sprung for the Hope snopro 190.. so far so good but can't believe what I'm reading. A few hundred miles on it so far and it feels good but dang... at least I have the info I need on here if it goes in smoke. A lot of bones for that hub and I'm hoping it'll last for a while. Wish Hadley made a fat hub... best hub I've owned on all my bikes over the years.

cheers!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

Off the back...
    I've had Hope hubs for years, and the premature bearing issue started with the release of the EVO rear hubs. I still have a Pro 2 rear hub with who knows how many miles on it with zero issues, but 1 of my 2 EVO rears and the Fatsno 170 have a rough bearing. I clearly recall replacing the bad bearing in one of the EVO hubs, and having it feel rough as soon as the hub was reassembled.

At the time I searched out a solution, and somebody on MTBR claimed to have fixed the issue by sanding down the bearing seat so that it wasn't such a tight fit. Seriously. I can't find it now, but apparently that was a solution that worked for two rear hubs. All my Hope-equipped bikes are spares at this point, so it's not a pressing issue, and I didn't notice the rough bearing when I rode them. The Enduro bearing replacement sounds like a good solution...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is probably a stupid sounding post/question, but how do you know if the bearings are bad?

I went from a pretty old Pugsley to a new titanium fatbike I built up, first rides on it were both days this weekend and it seemed harder to pedal around than my old pug. It feels like I was fighting resistance somewhere. Pedaling fast there was so much vibration I thought it would rattle my bike apart. Coasting was fine. I put it on the bike stand tonight and just turned the cranks, and the faster the rear wheel spins under load, the more vibration there is. Under light load (just before coasting) I can feel and hear some clunking. Again, coasting is fine, no vibration or noises. This is on a 197 Hope.

I read that Hopes can have a break in period, but I got a new Hope 142 for my mtb this past summer and it was nothing like this out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just got mine from the shop and went for a ride, ran good on the first ride but need to order the 990 cassette so I don't strip the freehub body

and the sound!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would agree that this is a small sample group with regards to the amount of hubs sold, but I really have to believe there are enough failures that Hope would recognize a potential issue?

I wanted to add that after I experienced my third bearing failure, I swapped out the Hope for a White Industries Snowhite rear hub, and had ZERO issues. I am wishing they would make a 197TA hub soon.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to be smart- I bought my Hope 190mm from Modern Bike for $208 shipped. It has been sitting in the box unused as insurance as my dealer repaired Fatboy hub is starting to wobble again. I'm going to wait and see what the dealer does when it goes again.
    Funny, I did the exact same thing. Started riding the Hope's last week with my carbon hoops. The hub is a lot better than the Fatboy hub and it doesn't make any weird popping and clicking sounds. My only complaint with the Hope, and it is minor, is that it is fairly loud in freewheel mode. Beyond that it is a very nice unit imho, especially for 2 bills.

The Snowhites are nice units, but no 190 avail and more $
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I apologize for getting a little snarky yesterday, there was no need for that. My bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wanted to add that after I experienced my third bearing failure, I swapped out the Hope for a White Industries Snowhite rear hub, and had ZERO issues. I am wishing they would make a 197TA hub soon.
    Yes, and a 150 thru-front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    well this is an interesting thread.... my novatec hub that came on my fattie exploded shorty after getting it when I tourqued it to death... then sprung for the Hope snopro 190.. so far so good but can't believe what I'm reading. A few hundred miles on it so far and it feels good but dang... at least I have the info I need on here if it goes in smoke. A lot of bones for that hub and I'm hoping it'll last for a while. Wish Hadley made a fat hub... best hub I've owned on all my bikes over the years.

cheers!
    Do yourself a favor.
    Order yourself some Enduro or SKF bearings.
    $20...have them on hand if your bearings go south. And if you have them on hand...you will probably never need them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post
    Funny, I did the exact same thing. Started riding the Hope's last week with my carbon hoops. The hub is a lot better than the Fatboy hub and it doesn't make any weird popping and clicking sounds. My only complaint with the Hope, and it is minor, is that it is fairly loud in freewheel mode. Beyond that it is a very nice unit imho, especially for 2 bills.

The Snowhites are nice units, but no 190 avail and more $
    I have the 170 rear and got to be around 1000 miles on it now in just a few months. Can't detect anything bad about it. Hope has a reputation for using off-the-shelf cartridge bearing units, but they seem decent. I like the freewheel noise for hikers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Loser
    I know I put it in other threads, but after reading through this thread a few months ago, I refused Specialized's offer to replace my hub with a Hope. I insisted on an I9, the bike shop called Specialized and they approved it. So far the I9 has worked great, but I only have about 100 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^You lucky sob!!

Dirt Huffer
    How fat are you guys who have broken hubs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I'm 5'10 / 175lbs. Call it 185 or so with all my gear on / hydration pack / etc on the bike.
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Excellent question. 195# riding

mtbr member
    I'm 145 lbs. Burned up my rear hub bearings last year < 100 miles; was sent warranty replacements. Running rough again. Just ordered set of Enduro's. Hope that fixes it. Shame that I have to do this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Call me fat again, and I will take your AC ,and shove it straight up your BC. Get my drift?

235lbs. Just tore up a 9:zero:7 hub in just over 100 miles too.

Dirt Huffer
    I guess im surprised now that i haven't had bearing issues. But i dont ride my fat bike a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    Wow 5 Freehub bodies!
    Did you look and see if the bearings was bad in the failed freehubs?
    I have a newer generation Fatso 190 with the 40POE freehub.
    If you mean the little pieces of bearings and races that were everywhere, making crunchy noise, then ya, they were bad. :-)

My LBS has been good and warrantied most of these, but upon directly inspecting and comparing an old Pro2 freehub body and the new Pro2 EVO body, with calipers, we could see there is less material in the newer body. Then they had a huge batch of bad freehubs from Hope that had to be returned too, as the threading for the cassette locking was messed up.

I may need to look at these new DT 350 fat bike hubs mikesee is talking about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Call me fat again, and I will take your AC ,and shove it straight up your BC. Get my drift?

235lbs. Just tore up a 9:zero:7 hub in just over 100 miles too.
    So I'm guessing you no longer recommend the 9:0:7 hub.... Bummer.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So I'm guessing you no longer recommend the 9:0:7 hub.... Bummer.
    Feedback from the shop I bought it from, and 9:ZERO:7 both point to me just getting a bad hub, or having bad karma (which is my own fault). The shop swore up and down they have had really good luck with their hubs, and they have pushed a lot out their doors.

I am a Chris King type fella, and am looking for the best I can get at this point. Right now I9 is my best bet, but I am tempted by the Onyx hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Do yourself a favor.
    Order yourself some Enduro or SKF bearings.
    $20...have them on hand if your bearings go south. And if you have them on hand...you will probably never need them.
    Sound advice! I ordered a full set of Enduro's when I swapped in my Hope 190 and they have been sitting gathering dust since. 300 miles so far of angry bee's and the Hopes are still solid.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    So when these bearings crap out, which ones are at fault in the rear? Do you only need to replace the two 61903 (6903) or do the two 61803 (6803) need replacing also? What about the 17287?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Replace them all it will save you a lot of frustration, I tried the replacing what I thought was needed at the time. With in a 100 miles i was back into it to replace the rest.

mtbr member
    A lot of experianced owners on here with the same issues rules out rider error ect...
    There is deft some weird flex Zombie curse happening to these wider Hope hubs.

Apart from being skint-"Scottish for no money for new toys", my old school offset 135mm rear Hope hub Surly bikes are still rolling with just a yearly re grease of the bearings with Wurth Graphite grease,
    My Moonlander has a rear 135mm Pro 2 hub i bought in 2005 when they came out and has been on 4 bikes and 4 figure miles now... It is proper bomber, and i have bought another 5 since...some have steel freehubs that i think make them even better for strenght...

So compared to bolt through all singing and dancing wide inline hubs that are supposed to give some improvement in riding quality and handling etc,
    I see stuff that is in the real world here on trails and the coast is in reality not really any faster when regular `non athletic folks` like myself and friends have ridden with these bikes and my old offset Fatbikes alongside...
    And unlike the old 135mm hub Fatbikes there is it seems a problem of reliability!,
    Maybe Formula hubs etc are not failing like the wider Hopes?, but when they do i dunno where you get them fixed here in the UK? unlike Hope.

Think i will be sticking with my offset 135mm Fatbikes as they do the job fine!
    I really like Hope products but they need to look as these issues as it is our hard earned money being spent on these products, not fair on you guys!
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Maybe Formula hubs etc are not failing like the wider Hopes?, but when they do i dunno where you get them fixed here in the UK? unlike Hope.
    Aren't the stock Fatboy hubs made by Formula? If so, in my experience, the Formula hubs are less reliable. My Hopes have lasted longer than 2 sets of Formulas and are still going strong....knock on wood
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    coastkid71, I am guessing all your Hopes are pre "EVO", which are reported by others to be much better w/ regards to strength when compared with the EVO models.

Hope knows they put sh!t bearings in the EVO models, per my conversation with Phil at Hope USA.

I really do think it is a mistake on the designer/engineers part to simply stretch a 135mm hub/design into a 170/190mm platform. The hubs/bearings will see an exponentially greater loads from the additional rotating wheel mass, and traction offered.

mtbr member
    230# riding weight w/ 400 miles on 40t 170mm fatsno hub this winter, temps ranging from -12F to 35F, still rolling smooth

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Crunch, Grind, and Bind

The s6803 bearing between the freehub and the main body after the last ride:

Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)-bearing.jpg

The outside of the bearing was left in the freehub, and I removed it by prying up oh so gently with a flat blade screwdriver a bit at a time:

Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)-freehub.jpg

Inside of the main body looks fine:

Fatsno rear hub bearing issue (already!)-body.jpg

Was able to source a bearing locally, re-assembled everything, and still had a binding issue. Found a 17MM ID spacer locally, placed that between the freehub bearing and the main bearing, and issue resolved.

Had about 1k or so for mileage before the event. LBS suggests that cause of my issue MAY BE the standard quick release allowing too much flex in the shaft, and recommends going through axle. They seem to think this will relieve the stress on the internal components.
    Last edited by switchie; 04-03-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: missing info

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by switchie View Post
    The s6803 bearing between the freehub and the main body after the last ride:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bearing.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	978186

The outside of the bearing was left in the freehub, and I removed it by prying up oh so gently with a flat blade screwdriver a bit at a time:

Name:	Freehub.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	978189

Inside of the main body looks fine:

Name:	body.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	978187

Was able to source a bearing locally, re-assembled everything, and still had a binding issue. Found a 17MM ID spacer locally, placed that between the freehub bearing and the main bearing, and issue resolved.

Had about 1k or so for mileage before the event. LBS suggests that cause of my issue MAY BE the standard quick release allowing too much flex in the shaft, and recommends going through axle. They seem to think this will relieve the stress on the internal components.
    Wonder what happened to your stock spacer washer under the freehub? Was it part of the carnage? Or the lack thereof the cause of it?

I tried a few months ago to source a 10mm diameter QR skewer to stiffen the rear end of my Fatboy, but had no such luck. Fatback wouldn't sell them separate of their hubs and no one else sold them. I ended up going with a Hope QR skewer which seems to lock down better than the stock one, but would still like to find a larger diameter one.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member

less than 1500+ km total. less than 6 mths and i got this issue how should if fix it.

- when pedal the pedal moves with the hubs moving forward
    - theres significant drag check the ending when the wheel slow down, its like someone pulling the brakes.

ideas?

mtbr member
    1.79m/110kg, fully loaded.

mtbr member

freewheel mode fail. well a fixie fatbike anyone?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Paochow, I have the Fatback rear skewer you are looking for. Hit me up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    same exact bearing issue as seen above for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Stainless freehub body and through axle conversion seems to have resolved my issues. I think it's related to flex under load chewing up the bearing

Thingamejigger
    I don't think it's flex as the older early EVO versions seem to have been fairly reliable, it's the latest Stainless bearings that are too soft.

After 2 years on the original bearings I have re-greased once but it's time for replacement as they are rough and starting to drag.

I have just ordered SKF Bearings for the 6803 / 6903 and then the Enduro ABEC5 for the 17x28x7, as SKF don't make this. I will repack them all with my chosen Lith-Molly Grease before fitting and hope these give me another 2 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast