mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

I got her done tonight. Wow, I'd never owned a Lefty before and had no idea how complicated and simple they are. The project has been a blast to put together. It took me less than two weeks from the idea to the finished product. Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith was the key to this project. He took the time to answer my questions and guided my through daily calls and emails. Hope to get to Mendon sometime to thank him in person.

The biggest stumbling block came up at the last minute. It seems specialized uses a very unique bottom 1.5 inch bearing. I called FSA today to get some tech-support. They examined that Specialized uses a 1.5" 45x45 Campy style which is unavailable. Since the Mendon fat clamps are 1.125" I had to use an FSA crown race reducer. The only one they sell is a 1.5l 36x45. Luckily the OD and ID are the same so I was able to steal a bottom bearing from another frame I have.

Anyway, I'm taking it on its first ride tomorrow morning with lights. I'm excited to go wring it out. Just riding it in the street in front of my house was a blast. I can't believe a fat bike can get anymore fun than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks good!

Leave it up to specialed to use a goofy headset.

Whats with the tape on the downtube? Bike have a boo-boo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

Exactly. They always have to use some proprietary part just so you can't get/find the part without going to them. One of the many reasons not to buy a Specialized

The black tape ring is a frame bumper made out of an old road tire and electrical tape. Temporary suction for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cannondale sells some real nice stick on bumpers. They come in two sizes, I don't have part numbers but any shop that sells Cannondale can get them.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    Exactly. They always have to use some proprietary part just so you can't get/find the part without going to them. One of the many reasons not to buy a Specialized

The black tape ring is a frame bumper made out of an old road tire and electrical tape. Temporary suction for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

That looks great. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

What is the length of the fork ?

Just curious what does it weigh ?
    Marty-mj
    Dakar 650b Pro Full Squish & Trek Farley Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The fork AtC length is 470mm and the travel is 70mm. The bike weighed 28.5 lbs before I added the Lefty. I havent weighed it yet but I estimate the fork wejght at 4 lbs. The wheel weights should be a wash as I am also using the ssme tube and tire.

I can definitely feel the weight difference going from a one pound carbon fork but the fun factor is worth every ounce of weight. The added travel on the front allows me to take rocky drops with more speed and confidence.
    Athough 70 mm doesn't seem like much keep in mind you still have the squish from the tire so it feels more like 120 mm of travel.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Welcome to The Left Side!
    Fatboy Lefty Conversion-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb View Post
    The fork AtC length is 470mm and the travel is 70mm. The bike weighed 28.5 lbs before I added the Lefty. I havent weighed it yet but I estimate the fork wejght at 4 lbs. The wheel weights should be a wash as I am also using the ssme tube and tire.

I can definitely feel the weight difference going from a one pound carbon fork but the fun factor is worth every ounce of weight. The added travel on the front allows me to take rocky drops with more speed and confidence.
    Athough 70 mm doesn't seem like much keep in mind you still have the squish from the tire so it feels more like 120 mm of travel.

Thank you very much I need a 490mm fork. Looks like I am going to have to wait for the new suspension forks this spring.

Ps I didn't know that fat boy was 28.5lbs I thought they were in the mid 30's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty-mj

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My fatboy was 30.9 out the door . However the only stock part left on my fatboy is the frame fork and wheels.

I swapped out the bar, stem, seatpost, cranks and shifters. I then deleted the double spider/chainrings, front shifter and front derailleur for a 1x10 setup. Thats how I got sub 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

That's impressive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marty-mj

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	866837
    Thanks it feels good to be in the club I've always tended to lean left anyway .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	866837
    Did you use the uber drop clamps? I have a lefty sitting in the garage, waiting for some fatty loving'. Clamps (240), wheel, & shock rebuild (100) will put me at around $675.
    Finishing up my Ogre rebuild right now, so maybe this summer I will tear down the Pugs and do it up. Maybe by then there will be RS or Fox option, who knows?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fatboy Lefty Conversion

Those are definitely Uber drops. I didn't need the Ubers on my Fatboy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Looking good sir! Glad you're enjoying it.

A few things worth mentioning.

That fork is a first gen Lefty DLR, and is 480 a2c, not 470, just FWIW.

To get 490 in a Lefty, you'd just need a newer 2005+ Max, and do a PBR conversion. At which point, you can choose between several a2c and travel options.....

Enjoy the ride!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Craig
    Appreciate all yiur help with this project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    Did you use the uber drop clamps? I have a lefty sitting in the garage, waiting for some fatty loving'. Clamps (240), wheel, & shock rebuild (100) will put me at around $675.
    Finishing up my Ogre rebuild right now, so maybe this summer I will tear down the Pugs and do it up. Maybe by then there will be RS or Fox option, who knows?
    Yes the top clamp is the long drop. The 9Zero7's have a long head tube so the long top clamp is required.