Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Many times I judge the success and enjoyment of a ride by how few, if any, times I have to put a foot down, much less walk. Might even be faster to get off in places, but I enjoy the challenge of staying on. I like to *ride* the bike.
    The unofficial "I didn't Dab today" thread. Dab Thread for all us low dab count riders.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Maybe we need a separate fat bike low dab thread?
    I can't think of anything witty.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Maybe we need a separate fat bike low dab thread?
    Oh come on Man.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

aka bOb
    So if I am pushing my bike through a couple of feet of snow does each step count as a dab? Oh and have I mentioned how stupid this is?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    So if I am pushing my bike through a couple of feet of snow does each step count as a dab?
    not if you have slowshoes on.

rog

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Let's say you have two Bluto forks, a 100 mm and an 80 mm. Can you convert the 100 to 80 by switching the contents of the air side?

Loser
    Fixed: yes. I don't understand the dab controversy, it's just something I do for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm thinking about getting a Fatboy, and I'm torn between an Expert with a few upgrades, or the Pro with the Bluto. I plan on riding this only in the winter on snowpacked trails (I love my Epic WC way too much to ride anything else if there isn't snow). Shock or rigid for winter riding?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2015 Fat Boy Pro HED carbon wheels
    2012 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
    Delta 7 Ascend Road bike ENVE wheels

Loser
    What kind of snow? If you're riding on footpacked trails that are bumpy, a fork is probably a good idea, if you're riding on groomed trails then a fork is probably overkill. I rode with the carbon fork over the last winter, it was great, but I'll probably leave my Bluto on until I think it's not worth it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Fixed: yes. I don't understand the dab controversy, it's just something I do for fun.
    and i don't understand the whole strava phenomenon. strava=way bigger(smaller) dick waving than to dab or not to dab........

rog

mtbr member
    Let's say you have two Bluto forks, a 100 mm and an 80 mm. Can you convert the 100 to 80 by switching the contents of the air side?
    Yes. You could take the air shaft out of the 80 and exchange it for the air shaft in the 100.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Bluto follow up

Bought my Fatboy in July and rode it about a month with the carbon fork. Loved it, but thought it could be even better with Bluto, as I ride on some pretty rough single track.

Installed the 100 mm Bluto. Did 3 rides on it and decided I didn't like the steering. It raised the head tube up too much, slackening the steering angle, and taking weight off the front tire. As a result, on steep climbs, it was harder to keep the front tire in contact and get good steering grip, and was too much work to fight it. Downhill was very plush, though.

A week ago I converted the 100 mm to 80 mm. All you have to do is add 2 spacers and replace the air tube plunger with a shorter one. Took about a hour doing it, and this was the first time I've ever been inside a suspension fork.

80 mm is far better. Specialized knows what they are talking about. The steering angle feels normal, and the steering on climbs is now no different than the rigid fork. It's a signficant difference from 100 mm. Works fantastic. Can't say I notice any difference on descents, either. Still plows right over rocks, ruts, roots, with barely a hint of a bump and keeps the tire in better contact with the ground than the rigid fork. So, for anyone looking at this choice, I would really recommend the 80 mm for the Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Fatboy came with the 80mm Bluto. I've had a 100mm air shaft in the shopping cart for a while now. I've been satisfied with the 80mm but can never seem to get any decent preload squish on it. I've played with the pressure to points where it was bottoming out riding moderate trails.

I always wonder if I'm missing out not having the 100.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kunkel View Post
    My Fatboy came with the 80mm Bluto. I've had a 100mm air shaft in the shopping cart for a while now. I've been satisfied with the 80mm but can never seem to get any decent preload squish on it. I've played with the pressure to points where it was bottoming out riding moderate trails.

I can get my sag set either, about 10% max and anything after that it get to squishy. Seems to run fine though.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    What if you tried removing 1 of the 4 "tokens"? Would have more air volume? Could easily just put it back in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Glad I'm not the only one that is seeing this. Very pleased with the performance too but imagine there has to be some skimming going on a higher speeds?

Just watched a Rock Shox vid and it seems this may be the solution. Care to share how many tokens you all are running with the 80?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just picked my bike up at LBS and noticed the geometry was basically bringing the nose too high so I ask them to order some spacers and air tube to bring it down to 80 mm.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Glad I'm not the only one that is seeing this. Very pleased with the performance too but imagine there has to be some skimming going on a higher speeds?

Just watched a Rock Shox vid and it seems this may be the solution. Care to share how many tokens you all are running with the 80?

Thanks!
    I'm running 4 for 80 mm.

Not sure what the effect would be by removing 1. The air volume will be larger, but still the piston could not completely use that much travel. Need a physics guy to weigh in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks, Fixed.

I tried it today to no avail. Tried bleeding off the stanchion as described in another recent thread started by bdundee too. Looks like I need to live with it or try the 100 and adjust the tokens if I feel the need.

Don't think I'll really change anything though. Maybe on a long winter night I'll play with it more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Beware Universal Cycles' listing for the 100mm air shaft. Actually all of the Bluto ones except the 80mm where Bluto is listed separately.

They are NOT the right Sram p/n as confirmed in a chat with UC. UC says they are going to revise their website.

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Huh. I bought this one:

Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts
    - 26" Reba/Sid-B/Bluto (120mm)

Item #: 67483-159891
    Our Price: $27.00

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts

I haven't installed it yet. Is this not the right shaft?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Huh. I bought this one:

Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts
    - 26" Reba/Sid-B/Bluto (120mm)

Item #: 67483-159891
    Our Price: $27.00

Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SoloAir Travel Adjustment Air Shafts

I haven't installed it yet. Is this not the right shaft?
    No it is not the right Sram p/n. Here's the chat log:

Chat Content:
    JasonE: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?
    Steve: I was looking to purchase the 100mm air shaft for my Bluto fork. On SRAMs site they list the p/n as 11.4018.021.007 On your site you list the 100mm airshaft as mfg p/n 11.4018.021.007 Can you tell me if this is the same?
    JasonE: give me a couple minutes here
    Steve: Sorry, Sram lists this as 11.4018.026.015
    JasonE: I dont' see that part on our stie
    site
    the one ending in .015 i do not see
    they are different
    Steve: Your p/n 67483-159889 is listed as the 100mm Bluto air shaft. There is only one Bluto so it must be a typo on your site?
    JasonE: let me check
    my distributor lists this as a 100m travel
    Steve: Do they list it as fitting the Bluto as you have on your site though?
    JasonE: it does not, i'll have my web guy fix now, sorry
    Steve: OK Thanks.

mtbr member
    Crap. Has anyone confirmed this? Anyone bought one of these air shafts and tried to install it?

Or am I confused and it's the right shaft, just the wrong part number listed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Worst part is no one has my 100mm in stock. There is a site that has 120's though.

Loser
    I have to add air to my Bluto every 3rd or 4th ride - bummer. Gotta get on with Universal and see how to handle it.

mtbr member
    Keep us posted. I won't have time to deal with them today, but will plan on calling tomorrow and see how they're going to handle it. I know I could find this myself, but, like I said, I'm slammed.

Can anyone point to some links of the SRAM PN for the 120 shaft? Links to where it's available?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post

Can anyone point to some links of the SRAM PN for the 120 shaft? Links to where it's available?
    RockShox Bluto Air Shaft Solo Air 120mm travel 26" A1 - AEBike.com

And WOW! They got mine now too. Glad you asked...

mtbr member
    Crazy. I ordered the one I have over a month ago. I thought for sure that I got it from Universal, but I've not been able to find my order confirmation anywhere and Universal can't find it either. Anyway, it appears that even though I ordered the SID/ Bluto 120 shaft, what I received is the Revelation Air Shaft. 11.4018.022.003

Wack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a question? Will the crown of the bluto clear the down tube of the Fatboy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Here's a question? Will the crown of the bluto clear the down tube of the Fatboy?
    Yes.. and some

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great because mine just came in and I didn't think to check...

mtbr member
    I am doing my bluto homework. I see Hope now have a front 135mm thru 15mm hub.
    Will I be able to use the spacer kit with this.
    I am in oz and can only find what I need at Universal, so want to get right the first time.
    Shipping gets expensive

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Got my Fat Boy in July. Put the Bluto on in September, but have swapped it out with the carbon fork several times, trying to decide which I like better. Also tried Lou's on both ends.

Have to say, I like the stock fork and GCs better. Don't really think the suspension fork helps for maybe 98% of the riding, even rough trails. The GCs have plenty of traction and roll better, too. Might try the Lou's on snow this winter, though.

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

In winter mode.

I try not to think the sign is mocking me.

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.

Specialized Fatboy
    I need to get on of these for my Fatboy, the jarring is killing me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    I need to get on of these for my Fatboy, the jarring is killing me.
    One of the best upgrade you'll make on your fatboy.. Even though spesh recommends 80mm, go with what you want.. Your bike and you're the one riding it..

FatBoy with Bluto?-image.jpg

Specialized Fatboy
    looks good! Same colors here.

I need all the help I can get unfortunately. I had a 80 - 120 mm on my NRS, I'd definitely want more than 80.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK View Post
    looks good! Same colors here.

I need all the help I can get unfortunately. I had a 80 - 120 mm on my NRS, I'd definitely want more than 80.
    Like i said, your bike.. I am fine with my 80mm for where i ride here in san diego.. Others have 100mm and seem to be happy with it..

mtbr member
    For those of you that have been riding the Bluto in cold winter weather: does the shock slow down much in the cold or did they wisely use a light-weight oil for the cold? I used to hate how much my RockShox slowed down on my AM bike (which by the way does not seem to be as a big of an issue on my Lefty fork...)

mtbr member
    I have a 120 on mine- Colorado mountains- love it.

As for Cold Weather- you'll want to search mtbr for the "Bluto Tuning Thread." Never mind- did it for you: Bluto Tuning Thread

Before it got cold, I rebuilt mine with slick honey grease instead of the military grease they recommend (many/ most are doing this on rebuild, including folks at Borealis). The lowers only have 10ml of 15wt. Not very much fluid, and not really affecting damping- mostly just to keep the lowers lubricated. The upper damper side has 106ml of 5wt, so pretty light fluid so far. I think the Slick Honey is the biggest improvement and in 20 degree temps, the fork was pretty active.

mtbr member
    alshead - thanks for the info and the link. I'll give it a try stock when my Fatboy Pro comes in, but I'm guessing Slick Honey is in my future.

mtbr member
    For those who have done the Bluto/Hope upgrade were you able to use the stock spokes and nipples with the Hope Hub? I read that you could use them with the Salsa hub but I like the idea of the Hope so that I can convert back to the carbon fork if needed.
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    I know this has been asked and answered, but my hangover is apparently wrecking my Google skills..

Just ordered a 100MM bluto for my Fatboy. Which headset do I need again? There's an FSA one out there iirc, but I just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Found it (murphy's law, 5 minutes after I post this..) It's just a race:

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread
    // '14 Giant Trance Advanced
    // '15 Rocky Mountain Sherpa
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy

Specialized Fatboy
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    Like i said, your bike.. I am fine with my 80mm for where i ride here in san diego.. Others have 100mm and seem to be happy with it..
    Did a good test of the 80mm bluto today (more me than the bike) and I can tell I'm holding the bike back quite a bit. lol... LOVED IT! No regrets at all!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any suggestions for an alternate crown race to the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5? I'm having difficulties sourcing one right now. The usual paces appear to be out of stock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think you can just buy a lower integrated 1.5 bearing from Cane Creek that comes with the crown race, and the crown race itself has a nice seal on it to help keep dirt and grime out.

mtbr member
    So here's a question.

You can get a Motobecane 2015 Bullet Fat Bike Frameset w/120mm Bluto from BikesDirect for $699. They also have a 150Thru/190QR wheelset that will work with the Fatboy for $299.
    No, it's not the *best* wheelset out there, but for a grand total of $999 for the frame/fork and an extra wheelset, it's tempting. Especially if I can sell the unused Motobecane frame for a couple hundo.

This seems like a good way to go, no? Or am I missing something here...?

Loser
    You can get a Bluto with a hub for around $800. I guess the BD way gets you a crappy wheelset and a frame on top of that. Personally the hassle of selling and the fact that I wouldn't use the wheelset makes that less of a "deal", but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Im actually considering that BD frame/Bluto. I have a friend who wants a Bluto, so I can sell him the Bluto, recover a big chunk, put the stock carbon fork from my Fatboy on the BD frame and build it up for my wife. I could just get the Boris X5, but without the tapered headtube I cant use my Carbon fork on it.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    For those who have done the Bluto/Hope upgrade were you able to use the stock spokes and nipples with the Hope Hub? I read that you could use them with the Salsa hub but I like the idea of the Hope so that I can convert back to the carbon fork if needed.
    Yes. I replaced stock 135mm hub with Hope 150mm using same spokes and nipples. Pay attention to the lacing pattern, it's 3 cross.

I don't build wheels very often and I always struggle with tightness and truing. I tightened down the spokes "tight", but not to the point where I had to put any muscle into it. Fortunately, this wheel didn't give me any issues truing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast