Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Loser
    I got a Bluto and built a new front wheel with a used rim for about $820. 15% coupon off at universal cycles.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bluto with remote lockout $711.00 wheel build with FAT-SNO hub, about $275.00. Now just waiting for bike to arrive in the next 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: FatBoy with Bluto?

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I took it on a lap on the pump track it felt good, though a bit stiff at 100psi, I dropped some air to 90psi, we'll see how that goes. I'm 170 or so without my pack on.

I took my first ride at 80psi, below the recommendation on the fork. I'm 155lbs plus gear... and with 80psi felt like i could go lower still.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bluto $643 plus salsa hub $125 (minus discounts). Luckily salsa hub has very similar dimensions to original hub flange so I could rebuild wheel with original spokes and nipples. Oh and a few bucks for a longer brake line, don't forget that or project will have delay.

mtbr member
    This is on ebay this morning. Hub included for $643
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Loser
    I took my Fatboy with Bluto out on a "real" ride today - up until now I've only taken it out on solo rides at the local place that's mostly non-technical. Today I went to a place that's highly technical on a ride with one other guy who rides pretty fast. In the past with the Fatboy I had to slow down on the technical stuff, today it felt a lot more like riding any other mountain bike, I charged into rock gardens, boosted air and generally had a great time. Definitely a game changer - it was a blast and I had no problem keeping this guy behind me today. I don't have any problem keeping him behind me on my Niner, but I honestly think I was riding about as fast as I can on my RIP9.

I have a bash guard on the bike and had to take off the front derailleur for it to fit, I need fix that - I dropped my chain to the granny 4 or 5 times throughout the ride. I guess that's not so bad, but I think I'm going to put a narrow/wide ring on so I don't drop the chain.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't want to spam, my local LBS in Anaheim Hills is installing a Bluto 80mm for me, and scheduling a setup time to dial it it. It includes all the other bits back, and it becomes part of the lifetime warranty on my Fatboy. it's $900, but after buying 3 bikes from these boys, I know they will take care of everything until it is where I want it. 900 may be more than some want to pay, but for turn key in socal, it may be what you want. If you want any info, PM me. Cheers,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I just ordered a 100mm bluto + salsa hub for my fatboy. Damn, someone stop the bleeding!

I'm still having a hard time tearing down the original wheel. Does anyone anticipate going back to the rigid fork periodically? In the winter maybe? Are suspensions still desirable in snow riding?

I could see using the rigid fork + 90mm stock wheels with bud and lou in the winter. Then build up some 80mm darryls for summer + bluto. But I'm not sure I have budget or space for an extra set of fat wheels.

Is the bluto lockout a true lockout? Maybe that's enough should I desire to rid myself of bounce?

Nuts
    I am going to put my rigid for for winter and long gravel rides, I find Blutos lock out not to be real solid.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    I just ordered a 100mm bluto + salsa hub for my fatboy. Damn, someone stop the bleeding!

I'm still having a hard time tearing down the original wheel. Does anyone anticipate going back to the rigid fork periodically? In the winter maybe? Are suspensions still desirable in snow riding?

I could see using the rigid fork + 90mm stock wheels with bud and lou in the winter. Then build up some 80mm darryls for summer + bluto. But I'm not sure I have budget or space for an extra set of fat wheels.

Is the bluto lockout a true lockout? Maybe that's enough should I desire to rid myself of bounce?
    I thought long and hard about the wheel and decision on doing a new wheel or rebuilding old rim. It came down to 1):cost and 2) deciding I wouldn't go back to rigid. If I decide to go back to rigid some day I'll build another wheel with old stock hub.

With salsa hub I reused spokes and nipples and rim and fit perfectly. A new surly wheel was going to be too much money and what the heck was I going to do with the other old wheel besides let it just sit in my basement. I also didn't like mixing rim widths. The spec rim is 90mm and I'd have to switch to 80 or 100 with other rims.

That was decision to just reuse rim and save a few bucks. I won't go back to rigid after riding bluto! Even last winter on some boot pack that was bumpy I was longing for a shock!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Thanks bdundee and Hans.

I really have no space for extra wheels and don't want to pump more money into this so I'm going to go with Hans strategy and tear the old one down. I have a feeling I'll appreciate the squish in the snow too.

Loser
    I built a new wheel, figuring I'd swap back for winter. Who knows if that will be the case. I found a used rim locally (an mtbrer).

Nuts
    That's why I went with a Hope hub and my special conversion kit so I could use the same wheel on both types of forks. I wouldn't want an extra wheel or the cost either.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I also converted the stock wheel. After 5 minutes with a Bluto no way I will ever go back to rigid. I havent measured the HT angle yet, but with the 120mm fork it feels really nice. More like a trail bike than a slow cruiser bike.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Loser
    Dang, I woke up last night and realized I should have thought this through better. I was thinking that I needed a new wheel since my Specialized hub couldn't be converted. I should have just bought a Hope hub and bought those end caps. I could have done everything with one wheel. doh! I was thinking since I didn't have a Hope hub, I might as well build a new wheel.

mtbr member
    The specialized hub cant be converted. I should have said that I swapped the hub put used the stock rim. I went with the Origin 8 hub. It's the cheapest option out I've found.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Loser
    Right. I could have just swapped the Specialized hub for a Hope and bought the end caps, one wheel, both configurations, instead I bought a Salsa hub, used rim and new spokes. Oh well, live and learn. I guess if I end up not wanting to go back to rigid, I can sell the fork and the wheel together as a set.

mtbr member
    or buy a cheap frame and build a second bike for your lady friend!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Loser
    hmmm, or a second super light bike for me (my wife won't ride if the temps get below freezing), but hmmm.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudo View Post
    How much for the Bluto? How much for a wheel?
    My LBS did the Bluto, Salsa Hub, wheel build and provided all the bits for $900. You can do it a bit cheaper, but they did it turn key including setting up the suspension with me. It also is now part of my long term warranty, so I am very pleased, and once you ride a fatboy with FS, you will be amazed at how well they work, cant believe they did not start this way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Dang, I woke up last night and realized I should have thought this through better. I was thinking that I needed a new wheel since my Specialized hub couldn't be converted. I should have just bought a Hope hub and bought those end caps. I could have done everything with one wheel. doh! I was thinking since I didn't have a Hope hub, I might as well build a new wheel.
    Oh now I get it!!

I discounted the hope hub because I don't have a thru axle fork on the Fatboy. But the frigging hope hub can do it all with end caps can't it. Hmmmmmmm!

How much of a pain is it to take the wheel on and off with those extenders and a thru axle? It's a long story but I have to put the wheel on and off 3 times each time I ride. (between fitting it in the car and also storage.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Right. I could have just swapped the Specialized hub for a Hope and bought the end caps, one wheel, both configurations, instead I bought a Salsa hub, used rim and new spokes. Oh well, live and learn. I guess if I end up not wanting to go back to rigid, I can sell the fork and the wheel together as a set.
    I don't know. I haven't built yet and I'm torn. On one hand, it might be nice to be able to go back and forth quickly.

But unless you plan on doing that, do you really want spacers in there? The simplicity of purpose-built parts is fun too. The spacers must make it less stiff, and possibly put more stresses on the hub/axle, I'd think? And also be a little more of a pain every time you take the wheel on and off.

What are the odds I'm really going to switch back and forth between the bluto and a rigid fork? Hmmmm.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    I don't know. I haven't built yet and I'm torn. On one hand, it might be nice to be able to go back and forth quickly.

But unless you plan on doing that, do you really want spacers in there? The simplicity of purpose-built parts is fun too. The spacers must make it less stiff, and possibly put more stresses on the hub/axle, I'd think? And also be a little more of a pain every time you take the wheel on and off.

What are the odds I'm really going to switch back and forth between the bluto and a rigid fork? Hmmmm.
    They are not really spacers but new end caps all together and it makes no difference when changing a wheels. The spacing difference is only 7.5mm on each side if you go with the Hauck stolen idea spacers (still bitter over that) which is only .29 inches and I doubt you will feel any flex in that.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    it makes no difference when changing a wheels.
    The spacers stick in the hub nicely? You're getting close to convincing me!

Hauck stolen idea spacers (still bitter over that)
    Hah. Did they really get the idea from you, or was it "co-invented"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    They are not really spacers but new end caps all together and it makes no difference when changing a wheels. The spacing difference is only 7.5mm on each side if you go with the Hauck stolen idea spacers (still bitter over that) which is only .29 inches and I doubt you will feel any flex in that.
    How does it handle the disk brake location when you swap? Doesn't the disk have to move outwards relative to center of the hub? Or do you put spacers on caliper to move it inwards?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast