Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    aka bOb
    I thought I read somewhere it was used a campy style crown race?

FSA Orbit C-40-CF-ACB Integrated - FSA

Something to look into

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JASESPESH View Post
    Oops my bad.

Thanks

Edit.... You sure any 1.5 race will work?
    thought there were different sorts???
    The one I posted has been confirmed to work as shown earlier in the thread.

Look at post 266 in this thread.

Good luck!
    Last edited by j35u5fr34k; 03-20-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Post 266

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You can get the proper split race directly from Specialized. Your shop should be able to order it for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Bluto 80mm installed
    Awaiting on hub this week.
    Cut steerer 30mm longer then I usually have, so I can move stem up or down dep being on how she goes.

FatBoy with Bluto?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just got done with my Bluto today. Went with the hope fatsno hub. Same spokes. Cut steer tube to 7 and 7/8"

Next is a 1x up front. Probably the Race face next sl.

FatBoy with Bluto?-uploadfromtaptalk1427503364340.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hannoonen View Post
    So here's a question.

You can get a Motobecane 2015 Bullet Fat Bike Frameset w/120mm Bluto from BikesDirect for $699. They also have a 150Thru/190QR wheelset that will work with the Fatboy for $299.
    No, it's not the *best* wheelset out there, but for a grand total of $999 for the frame/fork and an extra wheelset, it's tempting. Especially if I can sell the unused Motobecane frame for a couple hundo.

This seems like a good way to go, no? Or am I missing something here...?

I have had this same idea somewhat. I bought the SE knowing I wanted a Bluto to go on it, so no use for a carbon fork. After researching more I found that I may eventually change every piece except for the frame. The BD deal looks good because it gives me a Bluto fork and a frame to put the pieces that i take off of my SE, to put on. so essentially a second bike. Which sounds good especially if I do care too much about the quality. As you can see from my post count I am newb here and in higher quality bikes in general. So any information would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey everyone. I'm looking to purchase a used 120mm bluto. According to the seller the steerer has been cut to 207mm or about 8-1/8". Can anyone confirm if this will be ok for a large 2015 fatboy?

I'm new to buying forks and not really sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I splurged on the bike over the winter and haven't really enjoyed riding the rigid frame with no snow. I'm hoping the bluto will make the bike more well rounded.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think I've seen most people cut them just under 8" (7 and 7/8" is in my head) but I'd google some more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 2014 was 7 and 7/8 on the dot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Brand new to MTBR and this forum. I ride a full suspension Camber Comp 29 with 110mm travel. I have on order two FatboySEs (my wife and I) in small and large respectively and a third in 24 for my six year old.

Long story short. Thank you all. I just ordered her an 80mm bluto and myself the 100mm (the six year old will have to get a job if he wants any more upgrades). And fears I have, save one have been eliminated. What I got out of this is "go have fun, enjoy my 100 and her, her 80" and all will be well. The one thing that does have me scared is all the talk of this kit and that kit. Admittedly, I don't know much. But, plan was simply to head to my lbs, who ordered the bike and hand them the fork and so make it so, along with Spank Spike pedals, Spank 50 mm stem, Spank 760 trail bars and qr seat clamp. This will actually match the upgrades that ride on my 29er. Same is true of wifey's build. Also, went to 1x. Long winded, I know but I love how into the bikes you are. So I think you'll appreciate my zest. Last and btw, it's my LBS guys who absolutely love their fatboys that got me headed down this past. Should I just let them know what I've ordered and tell them to be prepared... the bluto I mean, they know all the other stuff. thanx all.

mtbr member
    Why torture yourself? Tell them ASAP. You may save them some shop time if they don't have to install the stock forks and then switch over. Also, they won't have to cut the fork steerer on the small, improving resaleability. You can worry about kits later, unless they want to change grease or spacers now. If you're buying two bikes at once at full retail price I'm sure they'll take care of you the best they can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Big thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Why torture yourself? Tell them ASAP. You may save them some shop time if they don't have to install the stock forks and then switch over. Also, they won't have to cut the fork steerer on the small, improving resaleability. You can worry about kits later, unless they want to change grease or spacers now. If you're buying two bikes at once at full retail price I'm sure they'll take care of you the best they can.
    Called them first thing. Thanks for advice. I'm actually buying three bikes. That will make a total of six from this shop in 2015. Really did not know how in love I would fall with this sport. Or my (how much she would fall for it) wife for that matter. I must say with our specialized 29ers, camber comp and her rumor and now these two fatties, I sure hope we are set for a while. This is an expensive habit, albeit one with a good hangover.

The LBS was great. Gonna marry it up to Hope hub for me. I actually chose a color to match my scheme. They are more excited about my boy's 24 than anything else. I went with 100mm and 80mm for wife's small after all. They tell me we should be pretty darn happy.

My last wish is the brakes. Ironically, the wifey is the one who is pushing (more gently now that forks in the wind) for this upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Fatty gets new socks (shocks). Dress for show

Here she is. I pick her up tomorrow. Running hope hubs, 100mm bluto and just added the xt breaks. Wifey is getting same set up by Friday (with 80 bluto). I cannot express how fun and fast this bike is on our local Florida trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatBoy with Bluto?-11422712_10104258044726082_1924973872_n-1.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^^seeing it with a 100 it makes sense why spesh recommends an 80 for the fatboy. looks a bit jacked back^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ooohhh, you should get payed for that - copyright it right now so Spesh can't steal it without giving you a check.
    New for 2016 - the Specialized Jack Back!!!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Ooohhh, you should get payed for that - copyright it right now so Spesh can't steal it without giving you a check.
    New for 2016 - the Specialized Jack Back!!!
    HA! i like it!

i got it: 80=jack on track
    100=jack back
    120=way back jack

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    HA! i like it!

i got it: 80=jack on track
    100=jack back
    120=way back jack

Yes! If demand is high enough then the 140=Jack Back WTF Pro

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Yes! If demand is high enough then the 140=Jack Back WTF Pro
    good one! WOOT!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ordered the 120.

Hopefully my clydeness will put 'er where she needs to be. I guess with the XL I have the longer frame too so it won't be as boxframe cadillac-y.

Figured I could always go down, but harder to go up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    I ordered the 120.

Hopefully my clydeness will put 'er where she needs to be. I guess with the XL I have the longer frame too so it won't be as boxframe cadillac-y.

Figured I could always go down, but harder to go up.
    It's actually cheaper to make it longer, the 80mm comes with 4 air tokens so it only needs a longer air shaft to switch to 100mm or 120mm. To switch from 120mm to 100mm or 80mm you'll need a different air shaft and tokens. The tokens are only $15-20 for five, so it's not a huge deal though.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think it's all a matter of perspective. Here's mine with a 100mm fork:

FatBoy with Bluto?-fatboy-w-bluto.jpg

I think it's perfect. Slightly slacker angle to increase stability for a year-round trail BEAST.

Loser
    Also keep in mind that all these pictures are without riders on them, so no fork sag. I have a 100mm on my Fatboy. It's great, I feel it did not hurt the handling one bit.

mtbr member
    Hope this works, I have a Bluto 120mm that I'm converting down to 80mm. Ordered a Fatsno 135 FDS hub and the 150mmx15 conversion kit to have the ability to run both the Bluto and stock carbon fork.

Good price on the Bluto, 390 shipped from Merlin cycles.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    You can make adapters to Fatboy's own 135 mm hub too. Here is one drawing:

Translation: Vasen = Left, Oikea = Right, Väliputki = pipe between. Dimensions in mm.

mtbr member
    So is the new 1.5" crown race necessary for the Alloy forks also?

I've seen mention of the built in crown race on the Carbon forks.
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    U
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    So is the new 1.5" crown race necessary for the Alloy forks also?

I've seen mention of the built in crown race on the Carbon forks.
    Nope- the alloy forks use a split crown race that is easily removed and reinstalled without tools, so you can pocket the $15 or spend it on beer.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Nope- the alloy forks use a split crown race that is easily removed and reinstalled without tools, so you can pocket the $15 or spend it on beer.
    Perfect. Thank you!!!
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ok I've been searching but just want to confirm - to go from 100mm travel to 80mm travel I need to just change the air shaft right? Like here:

RockShox Bluto Air Shaft Solo Air 80mm Travel 26 A1 | eBay

But why other items in this listing ?
    RockShox Bluto Air Shaft Solo Air 80mm Travel 26" A1 | eBay

thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    Ok I've been searching but just want to confirm - to go from 100mm travel to 80mm travel I need to just change the air shaft right? Like here:

RockShox Bluto Air Shaft Solo Air 80mm Travel 26 A1 | eBay

But why other items in this listing ?
    RockShox Bluto Air Shaft Solo Air 80mm Travel 26" A1 | eBay

thanks guys
    All you need is the airshaft in the first ad, some slick honey or SRAM butter (slick honey works better IMHO), and a small amount of oil (rockshox 15w) to refill each side (5ml each).
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks - perfect info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well did my first ride on the Bluto equipped Expert. Me likey. Bike came with a 100mm setup - however I plan to go back to 80. Order the shaft last week. Majority of my riding is winter/snow - just looking to take the edge off. Like many others the fork Needed lower pressure to get any sag - but tuning will take a few rides especially once converting to 80. Once at 80 sag will be less of a concern. That dude bike felt good with 100. Looking forward to the conversion. Anyway. Nice addition to the bike for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Bump...for a friend

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just picked up a 100mm Bluto and my 203mm rotor won't clear with the adapter that came with he carbon rigid fork. Do I need to switch rotors or is there a larger adapter I should use?
    '17 Fuse Expert Carbon
    '16 Crux Pro Race
    '16 Fatboy Comp Carbon
    '16 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29
    '15 Crux Single Speed

SimonsJ
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS View Post
    Hope this works, I have a Bluto 120mm that I'm converting down to 80mm. Ordered a Fatsno 135 FDS hub and the 150mmx15 conversion kit to have the ability to run both the Bluto and stock carbon fork.

Good price on the Bluto, 390 shipped from Merlin cycles.
    Do you by chance want to sell the 120mm air shaft & tokens? I have an 80mm and want to go to 120mm...
    Jim@FattyStripper.com

Not the fake Jay Leno

Pressure for 80mm bluto?

So I finally pulled the trigger on a 80 mm Bluto for my Fatboy SE. (There's not much SE stuff left on the bike at this point, LOL). I was in a hurry, so I didn't have time to set sag. I just used the low end of the range (105 psi) recommended for my weight (180 lbs) and rode. The fork was definitely an improvement over rigid, but still felt very stiff. This morning I removed a token and played with the pressure until I got 25 % sag. I ended up at 60 psi. I haven't ridden it yet, but the fork feels pretty darn good now. I'm curious where other 80 mm bluto "abusers" ended up.

FYI - Pro Bike Supply has the bluto for $485 right now, which is a pretty good deal, and pushed me over the edge.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ended up liking the 120 after riding it for a long time. Light in the front but I just get up on the bars a little more when I need to. Turns out I like slack bikes and I like the BB height. My other bike is a Transition Patrol with a 65* HTA and really low BB so I have a little bit of reference.

About to start riding the fatty again for the winter...
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Does anyone following this thread have the part numbers for the Hope fatsno pro 4 fds hub and the 150x15 conversion kit for it? Finally pulling the trigger. '15 fatboy expert

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    I have a 80mm on the fatboy trail I just picked up. While the 80mm fork provides some plushness up front, but I am getting the 120mm air shaft. The guys at the shop are all running 100 or 120 and dig it. Gimme that slack life doe.
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Did anyone weigh the stock carbon fork on the Fatboy before switching to the Bluto?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The carbon fork on the 2017 Fatboy weighs in at featherlight 590gr. I think the old 135mm version was ~650gr or so if I remember correctly.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Noob question. My wrists take more of a beating than I'd like so I'm looking to soften up the front end on my Specialized Fatboy by installing a Bluto RL in 100mm. Am I assuming correctly that I pull the OEM fork, cut and secure the Bluto, attach the disc brake, slide the OEM wheel in and lock the skewer?

mtbr member
    Does your stock wheel have a 15x150 axle or is it the 135qr? If you have a 15x150 axle your fine, but if it is qr you need to change the hub or get a different wheel. You will also need a crown race.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It's a 15x150 through-axle, so the stock tire oughta work. Is the crown race a 1.5 inch? Is a 52/40 what I need?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I ordered a 100mm RCT3 version and a crown race. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That 100mm RCT3 Bluto arrived from Amazon ($525) and I put it on my 2017 Fatboy. Pretty straightforward, although the 2017 Fatboy uses a 180mm front brake rotor and the Bluto is 160mm native, which didn't realize. Waiting on the spacer, but pretty impressive performance. Nothing too technical (no front brake yet) but certainly does change the character of the bike.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with RockShox' lack of instructions and information.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234