Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Love all the Bluto Stories!

My Bluto and accompanying parts are somewhere between A and B and you all have me stoked on my choices.
    I did want to interject that if anyone is running a Small frame, Specialized has a "crown race for non-SBC long taper forks" which they recommend. It has just a bit of rise to guarantee a good fit with Bluto. I actually opted to build the wheel with Marge Lite to give the Ground Control a rounder profile which should eliminate auto-steer and let me run 4" hard pack tires in our dry summer months. If I like it, I'll build a matching rear for my summer treads.
    I plan on going back to the rigid fork once the snow flies and I'm hoping to snag a new pair of Dillinger 5's for when the ice man cometh (gotta love the Northwest).
    I appreciate in these posts how few 80mm forks there are. Specialized is pretty adamant that is the right choice, but the only reason given is to keep from changing the geometry. I want the geometry changed with the suspension fork. Taller and slacker usually equals faster in the rough stuff.
    I'll send pictures once it's up and running. Cheers,
    Tom Miller
    The Bike Shop at Hughes Ace
    St. Maries, ID

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey, give us a tire size measurement after you put the GC on a Marge Lite please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: FatBoy with Bluto?

Quote Originally Posted by tommillermn View Post
    I actually opted to build the wheel with Marge Lite to give the Ground Control a rounder profile which should eliminate auto-steer and let me run 4" hard pack tires in our dry summer months. If I like it, I'll build a matching rear for my summer treads.
    I considered this as well, and am still intrigued by the idea. Please keep us posted on how it works out for you.

One of the things I like about the Fatboy tires is how much stability they have in nasty rock sections. Even when you hit a rock with only part of the tire, it just wraps around and holds. No picking lines - just plow straight through. I think width helps here quite a bit and wonder whether a taller, narrower tire would start reducing this ability.

I appreciate in these posts how few 80mm forks there are. Specialized is pretty adamant that is the right choice, but the only reason given is to keep from changing the geometry. I want the geometry changed with the suspension fork. Taller and slacker usually equals faster in the rough stuff.
    I also wanted a little extra pedal clearance for the rocky North east. If I lived somewhere smoother I might have gone 80.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No problem. After a ride or two I'll put on my pair of Knards and measure the difference as well.

Loser
    My second "real" ride on the Bluto. I put a Command Post on it and a 30T narrow/wide chainring up front. I did a longish ride with the regular Sunday group today at a place with lots of climbing and some really technical sections. The Fatboy with the Bluto is awesome, it's really hard to say exactly, but it seems like I am not losing any speed compared to my Niner RIP9.

Anyway so far, I'm really happy, no regrets putting it on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Happy to hear another positive review now that I have everything ordered. I am really happy with the proformane of my fatboy in its current condition. Wednesday I went for a ride on a trail/ srava segment, relatively smooth with lost of quick turns one short climb and I ended up 2mph faster than the KOM and am now the new king with a substantial time lead. If the bluto makes my bike faster I am going to be in heaven!

Loser
    IMHO the only way it makes the bike faster is in technical stuff, other than that, its just extra weight.

mtbr member
    I also feel the Bluto makes the bike faster. You air up the tire up front so it rolls a little quicker and the bounce you might normally get at higher tire pressures is negated by the Bluto. I also feel you have more control as your not being bounced around by that big tire and rigid fork.
    Last edited by Mr. Lynch; 08-04-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

Loser
    I am amazed at how well the fork controls the bounce.

I don't feel it going through it's travel and that front wheel sticks to the ground. As I've said many times I ride in extremely technical terrain, I hate riding a hardtail around here and I was wondering if just a front shock on the Fatboy was going to do it.

I have certainly had my share of "soft hits" on the rear rim, but I don't miss suspension out back at all. I am not much of a hucker, but I'll get two or three feet of air without thinking about it. On yesterday's ride, I found myself hitting stuff and just kind of forgetting I was on the fat bike - the cushion from the rear tire is plenty.

I added a little air to the back tire before yesterday's ride (I didn't measure it), but I think I actually went a little too far - it seems that 8-9PSI is good for the rear with the Bluto. The front I have at 10PSI and that seems about right.

mtbr member
    With the Bluto the bike really does ride like a 100mm 29er. It reminds me a lot of riding a camber and that big rear tires feels more place than any Epic I've rode!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    You can much a little more pretty up front in the tire so it rolls a little quicker...
    Might want to edit this line.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    My bad. Still half asleep from a long weekend at Whistler.
    The Bluto is sweet, but I wouldnt take it up there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You do know that Specialized is coming out with a Fatboy Pro which will have the Bluto and XT components for $4100.00 Should be coming out soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

FatBoy Giggles

I got an hour and a half on Bluto last night on our local trails. Xmas Hills is multi use, most of it being motorized. Bluto floated through the rough stuff and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it makes. I actually found I liked it active for seated climbing as well.
    For those who wanted to know about how the Marge Lite wheel shaped up, here's the statistics.

Original wheel with QR, no disc - 3lb,1oz
    Hope Fatsno with Marge Lite and Maxle - 3lb, 1oz
    Original width at widest knobs - 1100mm
    New wheel at widest knobs - 1070mm
    Original wheel height, rim bead to tallest knob - 800
    New wheel height, rim bead to tallest knob - 800

So really numbers-wise not a big difference, but the shape of the tire on the rim is very different. It almost looks egg-shaped with the narrow part running down the centerline. The picture doesn't do it justice. I noticed no hesitation in whipping the front end around in tight switchbacks. No weight savings unless you want to go carbon.

Just a reminder, I have a 2014 Large Fatboy on the sales floor if anyone wants it. Happy trails!!!

Tom Miller
    The Bike Shop at Hughes Ace
    St. Maries, ID
    208-245-6544
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatBoy with Bluto?-bluto1.jpg  

FatBoy with Bluto?-bluto2.jpg  

FatBoy with Bluto?-bluto3.jpg  

Loser
    A short video from today, sorry I didn't put a lot of time into capturing it, just stuck the contour to the bike and let it run. I put it in a place where I could see the fork moving. There's a short section of asphalt in the middle of this ride and I locked the fork out, it was really noticeable when I got back in the woods and forgot to turn it back on. This didn't capture the technical nature of the trails very well, but trust me this is a technical ride!

Oh and I think its funny you can see my reflection in the top tube so you kind of see me moving around as I go through/over stuff.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/102955034" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/102955034">Bigelow 8 8</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user875701">Jisch</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Finally got to ride my fatboy w/ bluto. It was really great. For the first 5 minutes. Then a stick went through my rear tire (GC) and left a hole. Turned around and went back home.

So full report still pending... But I know I'm gonna love it.

Loser
    I did a 12 mile ride on technical trails with a faster group today, the Fatboy with Bluto worked awesome - my co-riders mentioned that they didn't think I was any bit slower than when I'm on my Niner. Regardless, it was a good ride, with lots of smiles end to end. At this point I'm boosting rocks and catching air just like when I'm on my RIP9.

One of the riders (who does a fair amount of road biking and racing) was surprised that I was riding this bike and not the Niner. She asked me why I picked this bike to ride today rather than the Niner, I had to think about it for a second, my answer "because it's fun".

The 30T with the 11/36 out back appears to be fine, I'll be taking the granny ring off, as I don't think I need it.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that helps alot

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I did it and I got to ride it today. Bluto makes the front really stick. It's great and I am super happy with it. Thanks for all the advice and info on what to get and how to do it. Current set up is
    XT cassette
    XT derailleur
    XT Shifter
    XT breaks
    Race face 30T
    Wolftooth 42 on the back
    FSA Carbonbars
    FSA seat post
    Thud buster seat post (bad back days)
    2 wtb seats
    Split tube tubeless setup
    Lizards skin grips.
    Wellgo pedals
    And the bluto with a Hope hub!
    Really happy with the setup. Extremely fun bike to ride and pretty fast aswell. Nothing like smoking people with a fat bike. Now what crank to get? Hummmm!
    Last edited by Oldgt; 08-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgt View Post
    Well I did it and I got to ride it today. Bluto makes the front really stick. It's great and I am super happy with it. Thanks for all the advice and info on what to get and how to do it. Current set up is
    XT cassette
    XT derailleur
    XT SHifters
    XT breaks
    Race face 30T
    Wolftooth 42 on the back
    FSA Carbonbars
    FSA seat post
    Thud buster seat post (bad back days)
    2 wtb seats
    Split tube tubeless setup
    Lizards skin grips.
    Wellgo pedals
    And the bluto with a Hope hub!
    Really happy with the setup. Extremely fun bike to ride and pretty fast aswell. Nothing like smoking people with a fat bike. Now what crank to get? Hummmm!
    Do you know what it weighs? I'm considering a similar setup.

Also... "shifters" plural? Or just the rear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah that was ONE shifter it's 1x10 11-36 with the 42 wolf tooth and I took out the 15. Works out perfect for the places I ride upstate NY. I Just put the bike on a fish scale and it said 31 lbs had a little mud on it bottle holder and a small frame bag. It's a large frame. If your thinking about it and wonder if it's worth it? IT IS!!!! It's like a compleatly different bike than what I started with. It changes it from a nice chug along bike and turns it it's a bike you can haul a$$ on if you want to without fear because the control you have is unreal.

mtbr member
    1. Jisch- what do you weigh and how is your Bluto set up? Tokens? PSI? Rebound?

2. Anyone have trouble getting their Samox cranks off? I'm looking to put a single NW ring up front, but the self-extracting crank bolt appears to be seized. Can't get it to budge and nearly stripped it with a cheater bar on.

3. Anyone running a 120 Bluto? Anyone have a 120 Bluto they want to trade for a 100?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Loser
    I have the stock 100mm, I forgot how many tokens are in there I don't remember how much PSI I have in there. I'll check in the morning. I'm not much help I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Had the same issue with the cranks, brought it into my LBS and they couldn't remove them so Specialized warranty the work and now am waiting for E.13 cranks and their BB, did had to pay extra for them. Specialized with credit your account if you want some better cranks but you have to pay the difference.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Technical

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    IMHO the only way it makes the bike faster is in technical stuff, other than that, its just extra weight.
    Agree, if "technical stuff" means everywhere traction is a factor.
    I can't think of anything witty.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Agree, if "technical stuff" means everywhere traction is a factor.
    I find myself running a lot higher pressure in the front since Bluto and even in non technical trails more pressure equals faster.

mtbr member
    I had no issues getting my cranks off to throw a 30t on.
    Im running a 120mm Bluto and i think it is amazing. Slackens the bike out to around 68-68.5 degrees and it ride and climbs amazing. The 120mm of travel plus the huge tire really do remind me of my park bike that had a 170mm Lyrik. It feels like you can bomb thru anything and just monster truck stuff on the trail!

With the stock carbon fork i ran around 5 or 6 psi and with the bluto im in the 8-10 psi range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    First ride with the bluto.. Lake calavera, carlsbad ca.. 13 miles, 2 hrs.. Lots of climbs and downhill.. Single tracks and switchbacks, rocks and roots.. 80mm bluto was awesome.. Glad i went with what spesh recommended.. Those still thinking about it.. Just get it.. 80mm, 100mm, 120mm who cares.. At end of the day, it's your bike your'e the one riding it... Fatty before the ride tonite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatBoy with Bluto?-image.jpg  

FatBoy with Bluto?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^I like the yellow rimstrips!
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just ordered my kit thru my LBS with installation for $920.00
    Now I just need to wait for Salsa to have their hub in stock which should be next week :-)

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    First ride with 100 mm Bluto on the Fat Boy this morning. Rough, dry trail with really steep hiils.

The front end is really plush, running 8 psi in the 4.6" Ground Controls, 90 psi in fork.

Climbing, the front end feels tall and slack -- steering almost too light and harder to keep the tire on the ground. Lots more sawing around with the handlebars. 80 mm may be better for climbing.

Downhill is a freakin dream, tbough. Just mows over anything, barely feeling it.

Loser
    The front end definitely feels a bit light going up hills, but I've adjusted by putting my weight a bit more forward. I'm sure at this point when I go back to the rigid fork I'll feel like I'm half way into an endo all the time.

aka bOb
    First ride with 100 mm Bluto on the Fat Boy this morning. Rough, dry trail with really steep hiils.

The front end is really plush, running 8 psi in the 4.6" Ground Controls, 90 psi in fork.

Climbing, the front end feels tall and slack -- steering almost too light and harder to keep the tire on the ground. Lots more sawing around with the handlebars. 80 mm may be better for climbing.

Downhill is a freakin dream, tbough. Just mows over anything, barely feeling it.
    I have worked my way up to about 12-14 psi in the front running the same setup.
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-06-2014 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    80 mm may be better for climbing.
    it's freakin' awesome downhill as well.. roots... rocks .. like you said, mows over everything.. 3rd different trail day ride on bluto today.. i get to the trail but can't begin my ride right away as yesterday and the day before.. people want to take pictures of the fatboy with bluto.. i let them ride it.. a couple of more questions.. then i'm off after 30 mins minimum.. riding on the trail is worse.. you get stopped.. asked the same questions.. sees the big tires, then sees bluto.. and their jaws drop.. i noticed this thing just wants to jump too.. between the front tire squish and bluto, just a small pull on the handle bar and your airborne.. day 4 tomorrow on a different trail and looking forward to same routine..

Lake hodges, ca.. 18.5 miles, 2 hrs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FatBoy with Bluto?-image.jpg  

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    You know, as well as this works, I think the days of 5" tires and 5" full suspension aren't far away.

The difference between this and my Giant NRS Air Carbon with an 80 mm Fox fork and 2.4" tirez is night and day -- almost like the difference between a x bike and the mtb. It really is what mountain bikes should always have been.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So if I get the 80mm version I'll have all the tokens to make the travel whateva, is that right?

This thread has me stoked to bluto my beargrease

Loser
    That is NOT true. The tokens just take up air space and control the ramping up of the compression. If you want to change the travel you have to put in a new air chamber, they aren't that expensive though (I think I saw around $35?).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Cool, thanks.

Loser
    I did a 17 mile ride on the Fatboy this morning. So much fun.

There's this one trail at the end of the loop we call "Par Four", there are three spots where you pretty much have to get off and walk. It's a VERY difficult trail, we keep track of how many times you have to get off your bike end to end - so if you get off four times, you hit "par" - get it?

Today I did it with 2 "get offs", I've ridden this trail literally hundreds of times over the last 25 years and have never done it with less than 3 get offs. It felt amazing, I'm not sure my co-riders understood what an accomplishment this was, they looked at me like I was making too big a deal about this, but it felt great!

Anyway, I'm continuing to love this bike.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Yup. I'm finding that traction and my skills are almost not factors any more, as it is all about power to weight now. Places where I almost always came iff the bike, or didn't even try, I now just sit and push hard on the pedals until I blow up. It is motivating to get the power to weight up so I can make it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Had too much fun on the local pump track today. This bike brings me a couple notches above where I deserve to be at my skill level. Never got a wow before today. Felt good but like I was cheating or something....

I love this geo.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Fatbikes more capable? Who knew?

I dab way less with my mine.

rog

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Fatbikes more capable? Who knew?

I dab way less with my mine.

rog
    Ooh, careful with the "Dab" discussion. Apparently someone got their panties in a bunch in either the "How was your Commute" or "Long hard winter commute support" thread last year. As hard to believe as it may be, everything bike related apparently doesn't include discussing how many times your foot touches the ground (unless your on the Bike Trials Review Forum page).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Ooh, careful with the "Dab" discussion. Apparently someone got their panties in a bunch in either the "How was your Commute" or "Long hard winter commute support" thread last year. As hard to believe as it may be, everything bike related apparently doesn't include discussing how many times your foot touches the ground (unless your on the Bike Trials Review Forum page).
    Is that so?

HEY! WE GOT AN EXPERT IN THE HOUSE!?!?!?!?

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey! Dabbing is part of my skill set, learned many decades ago and still practiced frequently. Beats the snot out of getting off and walking

I'm gonna Bluto up soon but not just yet. Last night was the fastest ride of the year so far. Absolutely ripped the trails a new one in the dark Happy fat old fart B'day to me I may even enter my first race ever next Sunday because they have a fat bike category but I can't decide if I should just enter masters cat 2 and smoke the spandex 29er carbon bling weenies

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Is that so?

HEY! WE GOT AN EXPERT IN THE HOUSE!?!?!?!?

rog
    Yup, Caught me off guard when a few folks (myself included) had "Dab" comments and all there was a "What's all this 'Dab-Spam'?" comment. I didn't get it either. To me, a good ride is good for a variety of reasons (Weather, Wildlife, Speed, Smooth riding...). I'm pretty excited when I get in without having to stop or not stopping for long, but apparently that's not a universal source of joy.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Loser
    Wow, I had no idea this was such a divisive topic. We often have "how many dabs" contests on certain sections of highly technical trails. It's all in fun and no one's ego gets hurt at the end.

On this particular section yesterday a fast guy on a rigid singlespeed 29er got a call from work and had to boogie. He raced past me got about 25' into the trail, biffed and hit his hip bone on his stem, not pretty. I was wondering how much faster he was really going to be able to go? He rode behind me the rest of the way down.

mtbr member
    Dabbing can be a skill, and it can be a crutch. Like porn, you know it when you see it (or do it). We have several stretches of trail that nary a rider but the top few in the area (out of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds) can clean all the way from bottom to top without stopping/ dabbing/ pushing/ walking. For people to argue about it is just, well, silly. We ride bikes to have fun, right?

YAY BIKES!

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Wow, I had no idea this was such a divisive topic. We often have "how many dabs" contests on certain sections of highly technical trails. It's all in fun and no one's ego gets hurt at the end.

On this particular section yesterday a fast guy on a rigid singlespeed 29er got a call from work and had to boogie. He raced past me got about 25' into the trail, biffed and hit his hip bone on his stem, not pretty. I was wondering how much faster he was really going to be able to go? He rode behind me the rest of the way down.
    I think the law of objections states: For every "thing" there is at least one person who doesn't like that "thing". There is an inverse law of objectionable food my dad used to quote: If it's nasty and edible, it's a delicacy somewhere.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Many times I judge the success and enjoyment of a ride by how few, if any, times I have to put a foot down, much less walk. Might even be faster to get off in places, but I enjoy the challenge of staying on. I like to *ride* the bike.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast