Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Now whats the word with the lower bearing on the headtube. Can someone explain why we need that for bluto? Doesnt the bike have one in the flush setup? Another user recommended to get a cane creek lower race to remedy the issue. Im just curious why.

mtbr member
    ^not totally sure what you're alluding to, but if you get a bluto, you need a new crown race- not a new bearing, just a race. The race on the stock carbon fork is "built in" to the fork and can't be removed. I went to my LBS and picked up an FSA crown race for a tapered fork (campy style)- they had one in a drawer and got it for less than $10 I think.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    ^not totally sure what you're alluding to, but if you get a bluto, you need a new crown race- not a new bearing, just a race. The race on the stock carbon fork is "built in" to the fork and can't be removed. I went to my LBS and picked up an FSA crown race for a tapered fork (campy style)- they had one in a drawer and got it for less than $10 I think.
    I worded that all wrong didn't I.... Lmao. Thanks for the clarification. Noob learning here lol

LBS got a cane creek race for the bluto swap. Thanks.

mtbr member
    So reading some of the last posts I'm confused. I've got a FatBoy, I've got a Bluto, but have not made the swap yet.

Was just planning on taking the race off the FatBoy fork and putting on the Bluto, but sounds like the fork has the race built in.

A call to FSA did not help and I've got a part number that is wrong or doesn't exist. Google hasn't helped.

Will a Cane Creek 1.5 crown race work fine?

Can someone point me to an online source where I can quickly buy whatever I need?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    So reading some of the last posts I'm confused. I've got a FatBoy, I've got a Bluto, but have not made the swap yet.

Was just planning on taking the race off the FatBoy fork and putting on the Bluto, but sounds like the fork has the race built in.

A call to FSA did not help and I've got a part number that is wrong or doesn't exist. Google hasn't helped.

Will a Cane Creek 1.5 crown race work fine?

Can someone point me to an online source where I can quickly buy whatever I need?

Thanks!
    Hi,

i just got a FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS 45 # H6088, aluminum black.

It just looks like the race build in the Fact Carbon fork.

- projekt

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow so you guys did 100mm! I was going to comply with the specialized recommendation for 80mm but now I'm wondering whether its advice that is supposed to be ignored. I'd much prefer 100mm but I was concerned geometry is too messed up.

What is the axle to crown length on the 100 with and without some sag? Can one of you with the 100 do that measurement for me?

If I measured right the stock fork is about 18.5".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide between the 100 or 120 model. I had an 80 but sold it. I'd prefer to slacken it out a tad and run wider bars and a shorter stem. I'm leaning 120.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the 100 or 120 model. I had an 80 but sold it. I'd prefer to slacken it out a tad and run wider bars and a shorter stem. I'm leaning 120.
    Might as well go 120 and lower it if needed.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    If the Bluto is like the other newer RS forks, you need to change the airspring to lower it. Not as easy as dropping in a spacer anymore.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Nuts
    If the Bluto is like the other newer RS forks, you need to change the airspring to lower it. Not as easy as dropping in a spacer anymore.
    I'm sorry I thought this was the fat forum where we are not afraid to get our hands dirty
    And I love beer!!

Loser
    So if you get the 100mm you can't just change the air shaft to get it to 120? I'm 2 maybe 3 more positive reviews from going there.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    So if you get the 100mm you can't just change the air shaft to get it to 120? I'm 2 maybe 3 more positive reviews from going there.
    This I don't know, in the past with most other forks no but this one could be different.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I picked up a 100. Figured I can always pull it back if need be. But i have a feeling it will be perfectly fine. Next week we should be on it. Waiting for a few more parts. I'll report once shes all back together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking forward to your review evercycling.

Loser
    If the review is positive, please find a way to block it from my view. :-D

If you could post your parts list that would be helpful (or hurtful depending on if you're me or my checkbook).

mtbr member
    If the review is positive, please find a way to block it from my view. :-D

If you could post your parts list that would be helpful (or hurtful depending on if you're me or my checkbook).
    Haha. Lol. Ill make sure to block ya. Lmao

So far here is next weeks parts install

Rockshox Bluto 100mm black
    I9 front hub for bluto with adapter blue
    Cane creek race
    Truvative Noir T40 CF handles 30mm rise blue
    Niner CF RDO seatpost blue
    Tape Tubeless setup with yellow pvc rim tape

Only thing left for now is pedals which im having a real hard time choosing.

mtbr member
    I dont mind the labor, it's the $100 cost of the air shaft to make it happen I'd like to avoid. Would rather but that money toward a Growler holder for the frame!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Loser
    everycycling - I presume from the fact there is no rim in your parts list you are using the Specialized rim on the new build? I think if I go this route I will look to build a brand new wheel so I can easily swap from suspended to rigid.

mtbr member
    Specialized has the Fatboy rim listed on the parts site, but no price or inventory listed yet. It would be nice to be able to buy one and build a matching rim for people that want to swap forks back and forth.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Loser
    I was just thinking that, have to call a dealer and see if its possible to buy the rim.

mtbr member
    everycycling - I presume from the fact there is no rim in your parts list you are using the Specialized rim on the new build? I think if I go this route I will look to build a brand new wheel so I can easily swap from suspended to rigid.
    Yeah for right now Im just going to stick to suspended and feel it out. I will definitely build out another wheel later and attach the rigid fork and just swap whenever I feel like it.

I did get the remote lockout for the BLUTO so we'll see how that goes.

Loser
    That's a good idea, spread the spend out by buying a rim later. Although then you have to leave two rims. Hmmmm

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Why 2? Im just going to use the old hub and will have to get 1 rim, rim tape, spokes & tire.

Im just swapping the front at that point.

Nuts
    I dont mind the labor, it's the $100 cost of the air shaft to make it happen I'd like to avoid. Would rather but that money toward a Growler holder for the frame!
    $28 from Universal
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ok, So I'm minutes away from the 100mm and a salsa hub purchase... either I'll build a new wheel or rebuild the old specialized rim.

Anyone have axle to crown dimension on bluto?

I found...
    511 A2C - 100mm
    491 A2C - 80mm

here
    http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/Ro...structions.pdf

thoughts on hub too?
    Salsa
    Fat Conversion Hub Front 150mm | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles
    * 226 grams without skewer; 291 grams w/ skewer

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast