Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

Wow- that expert looks awesome with all the red blingy bits.

Here's mine- just got her finished up last night. Can't wait to get her on the trail! 100mm bluto.

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Are you guys keeping or selling the stock fork? I would think there would be some demand for a the stock carbon fork.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Keep the fork they are beautifully made carbon steerer and all

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nice!

Three questions:

1. What made you go with a Nate?
    2. What made you pick 100? I believe 80 kept the original geo closer to the original
    3. It's been 4 hours... Where's the ride report???

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

1. I haven't ridden the gc on the dirt but trust the Nate- plus I had the Nate and it was easier to set it up on the new wheel than taking the gc off (busy week), so, in part, laziness.

2. My trails are pretty chunky/ tech and I've yet to ride a bike and say "I wish it had less travel". I have a ht ss 29er with a 140 on it. After today's ride, I'll be investigating moving it to 120.

3. I actually didn't think I'd get out today, but I travel for the next week and not getting on it was gonna be too much to take. It was amazing. It climbed really well and was super stable in low-speed, techy rock climbs. I cleaned an entire climb where I often dab once or twice. I'm not one of those people that thinks fatbikes are the only bikes, but it f'n railed on the downhill. Now, it's still a hard tail (albeit one with a huge back end that grips turns like Velcro), and you have to ride it like one, but I was incredibly impressed. Still need to dial in on pressure and such. I think I was most surprised that it handled naturally at high speed. I had a 907 prior to this and did not care for riding it in the dirt. I will happily be taking this bike on the dirt regularly- no self steer, nothing (front tire around 15psi?).

"There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Loser
    damn you people with the positive Bluto reports. I need one that says "totally not worth it" to keep my wallet in my pocket.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Jisch, I'm with you. People keep posting this stuff and if it doesn't stop soon I am going to be around $800 more poor than I already am! This one is the worst, same color as my fatboy and a positive review. Ugh you guys are killing me!

mtbr member
    Sorry fellas . Seriously, I was skeptical. With my 907 and no front squish, it was brutal on our local trails. Awesome in the snow, but just not fun in the dirt, plus I regularly had problems with self-steer and more than once couldn't keep my line- fortunately no injuries, but a few close calls. I had just written off that fatbikes had their place, but that place, for me, was in the snow.

Now this is something completely different. I got the Fatboy because of reviews about how it handled- especially handled in the dirt, but it didn't arrive until the winter was over. I built it up, took it on one mellow dirt ride to feel things out, and hung it up in the garage for winter to come.

Then came Bluto... again, this will not be my do-it-all bike, but if it were 15 years ago and I was still living out of my truck with my one bike to do it all, this would be it. Hands down. If you ride a HT and are looking for a bike that can slay year 'round, the Fatboy with the Bluto is it.

Anyone know if a 100 Bluto can be extended out to 120?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post

2. My trails are pretty chunky/ tech and I've yet to ride a bike and say "I wish it had less travel". I have a ht ss 29er with a 140 on it. After today's ride, I'll be investigating moving it to 120.
    Did you do anything to check for frame contact? I thought the concern with 100 and 120mm bluto and the fatboy was the tire contacting the frame at full compression.

As for changing the stroke, I thought that was done with internal spacers / stops, but I could be mistaken.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardingsan View Post
    Did you do anything to check for frame contact? I thought the concern with 100 and 120mm bluto and the fatboy was the tire contacting the frame at full compression.

As for changing the stroke, I thought that was done with internal spacers / stops, but I could be mistaken.
    If a 80mm won't hit a 100mm or a 120mm won't either, I would say if the crown clears one should be good with tire clearance.

The travel is changed with a new air shaft but I'm not sure if a 100mm can go to a 120mm or not.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    al, why different front wheel?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

^I had to get a new front hub (the stock one is a 135 qr)- I picked up the Rolling Daryl rim used and laced up the 150 hub (origin8) instead of breaking down the FatBoy wheel. It gives me more options down the road (I've begun building frames and dream of building a fat frame some day).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    FatBoy with Bluto?-fatty.jpgHere's my Fatboy. Love it! I have it set up with 100mm travel and three air volume reducer "tokens" because it was blowing through the travel too quickly and I wanted the spring rate to ramp up faster. It weighs 31 lbs 9oz, so fun to ride, it totally shreds. I took the grip shift off because I kept miss shifting when throwing down. I like the dropper post, soon I want get one when I switch out the crank to off set the weight difference

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    damn you people with the positive Bluto reports. I need one that says "totally not worth it" to keep my wallet in my pocket.
    Yeah what he said ^^!!

Oh, umm, ok so... About those Tektro stoppers and replacement options. SRAM hooked me up with a set of the new Guide RSC brakes on Sunday Wow! You know what makes a fantastic bike part? When you ride with total confidence and don't think about that part Now I NEED a Bluto so I can take full advantage of the best brakes I've ever used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    (I've begun building frames and dream of building a fat frame some day).

my dream as well. not gonna happen anytime soon with new baby around.
    have fun, i might be getting fatboy too, still deciding vs blizzard or chiner
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRay View Post
    Here's my Fatboy. Love it! I have it set up with 100mm travel and three air volume reducer "tokens" because it was blowing through the travel too quickly and I wanted the spring rate to ramp up faster. It weighs 31 lbs 9oz, so fun to ride, it totally shreds. I took the grip shift off because I kept miss shifting when throwing down. I like the dropper post, soon I want get one when I switch out the crank to off set the weight difference
    Trying to locate the tokens, are they the same as the Pike? Rockshox sure did us a favor but good intel on this fork is hard to come by yet.

Edit: I see the tokens are black not red like the Pikes, where the heck do I find them now?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    whats your final weight with dropper and bluto?

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

I guess I don't understand the 100 or 120 hitting your frame under compression- shouldn't be any different than an 80.

As for stoppers- finally went shimano a year ago and never looked back. They now adorn every bike I own. Even the deore line is way better than any other brakes I've had over the years.

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

^i haven't checked total weight yet, but I know the bluto was about 2lbs heavier than the stock fork.

Stock with race and compression nut

Bluto with race and star nut

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: FatBoy with Bluto?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRay View Post
    I have it set up with 100mm travel and three air volume reducer "tokens" because it was blowing through the travel too quickly and I wanted the spring rate to ramp up faster.
    What were you doing when you bottomed out the shock? Drops? Or just riding fast in rough terrain?

mtbr member
    Just ordered one. Should be here next week. Now the hub. Is it safe to say that an i9 with adapter works perfect or should I consider another hub?

turtles make me hot
    I've done wheels with an I9 hub and the new Salsa hub. Both work fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey thanks alshead for the weight info. I kept justifying NOT buying a bluto because it would add 4 lbs to my bike. Now i realize it would only be about 2lbs. You guys are KILLING MY WALLET!!!! I am about one more positive review and a paycheck away form ordering one.

mtbr member

FatBoy with Bluto?

Man you all are killing me! I have to get one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgt View Post
    Hey thanks alshead for the weight info. I kept justifying NOT buying a bluto because it would add 4 lbs to my bike. Now i realize it would only be about 2lbs. You guys are KILLING MY WALLET!!!! I am about one more positive review and a paycheck away form ordering one.
    Yup. Then you go tubeless and add a carbon seatpost and your closer to stock weight. :-)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast