mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Fatbiking in the Ironwood Hurley area?

Anybody got any tips for where to ride? Are people riding on snowmobile trails in this area? What are the local laws?

mtbr member
    Not sure, but I'm in Marquette. We have a groomed snow bike route in the winter. Plus, a lot of the single track gets snow shoe traffic. Ishpeming cross country ski trails are open to snow bikes. Could be an option in your area also.

Sweet fat bike by the way! I also repair carbon!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My advice is to stay off the officially mapped snowmobile trails in the U P. Its fine to ride on the side trails but too dangerous on the main snomo trails.. The snowmobiles today in the UP go crazy fast and have a dangerous sense of entitlement to the trails. There is a bike shop in Ironwood. I would ask for local advice. As posted previously, the Marquette area is a hotbed of fat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks!

I did email the shop already, as this isn't my first trip to the area (I spend a lot of time at Wolverine in the summer) but he doesn't have a lot of information.

I won't be making it past Ironwood this trip- just looking for 3-4 hour rides in the morning before skiing/hiking with the girlfriend.

Do know a lot of awesome backroads in the area that will be fun to ride regardless (although many of them are probably de-facto snowmo trails in winter they should be wide enough etc. and technically a "road" that I don't have issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check the resorts and see if they'll let you ride on some of MTB trails, might also check with ABR and see if you can ride the XC Ski trails there. If you want to travel a tiny bit, maybe head over to the Porkies and check out the trails there or head west and check out the trails near Ashland. I grew up in that area and with plenty of summer riding, I'm sure some of those trails translate into decent winter riding yet to be discovered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    As a cross country skier- I know that ABR will not allow that, Wolverine has equal trails that are "private" though and I may be able to get away with it their, but wouldn't want to do so and anger the other members.

Which resorts have official trails in the area?

There are no bikes allowed off of pavement in the Porcupines as I learned here...

ride on purpose: Hayward to Porcupine Mountains via CAMBA's IMBA Epic singletrack and Gravel

fwiw, I believe I am headed to Duluth instead at this point regardless.