mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fatbiking Assateague Island...packraft?

This weekend I came up with an opportunity to go bikepacking down on Assateague Island. I'm really looking forward to it. My experience with the ocean and barrier islands tells me there maybe some small sounds that are easier to get by via packraft or other floatable means than by land. Is this a valid concern for seaward side of the island? or is the beach pretty much contiguous down there? Anyone have any experience with this location?

I heard the bugs can get pretty awful down there from a few people I spoke to today so I plan on bringing a tent and lots of repellant. Also I called and confirmed that riding is permitted on the beach. If anyone else has any tips or advice on this area it would be most appreciated.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the link, still looking for someone with experience riding the whole shoreline as to whether or not to bring a packraft.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Google Earth shows pretty much continuous beach.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sounds like a great trip. From what I remember it is always very windy so I would try to accound for that and I would scout for water outlets. Hose could get marshy and deep.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Also, poison ivy will be pretty rough if you get off the beach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Fatbiking Assateague Island...packraft?

And the horses! I love visiting there

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is my post from a previous thread on this topic...

"Last summer I attempted to ride from the top to the bottom of the island on my fat bike. Before I went I reviewed the local and park laws. Nothing prohibits you from riding on the beach (stay off dunes). There is a stack of signs telling you all the things you CANNOT do on the beach. None of them speak to bikes.

I started riding. Soon after I reached the section of beach where cars were required to have a permit to be on the beach. There were lots of people fishing. Ride up and around their lines.

Then it happened...
    I'm in the middle of nowhere. I hear a police siren. WTF? It was the park police "pulling" me over. He said he had several complains about a biker on the beach. I guess the permit holders were pissed I did not have to pay for a permit to be on "their" beach. The cop tried to make me walk my bike to the road (to ride all they way back). I told him it was legal for me to be here and he could not cite a specific law I was breaking. I wanted to be cool with him and not stir up **** for the biker community so I agreed to turnaround and bike the beach back to where I started (hours away). He was not thrilled about that.

Bottom line? Know the law and don't let yourself get pushed around. The ride was great. Go for it."

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'd love to see a trip report with pics ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Working on it. It was a very successful trip, no pack raft necessary, though it could add something if you were really feeling adventurous.
    Fatbiking Assateague Island...packraft?-10522846_511469175650680_2085332822_n.jpg
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Excellent write up. Enjoyed it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Just saw the thread. I live in Berlin, Md. Nice to see another fatbike in the area. I saw 2 9zero7 fatbikes on the back of an SUV over the weekend as well.