mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fatbiking allowed at Assateague Island VA?

My brother and I are thinking of roadtripping down from Minneapolis to DC to hang with our other brother's family and we plan on bringing our bikes to hit some Wash DC singletrack. My brother has a house in Chincoteague, VA near the Assateague Island National Seashore and we would be spending time there hanging at the beach. The island is beautiful and would make for an incredible sand ride on my Mukluk. Does anyone know if fat biking is allowed on this island by the National Park Service that manages it? Has anyone done some fat biking out there have some advice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I called in the spring and they said bikes were allowed on the beach. However I never did get down there so cant say for sure.

Give the park service a call. They were very nice on the phone.

I was bringing my Mukluk!

Huckin' trails

Fatbiking allowed at Assateague Island VA?

I'm in Ocean City, MD, 3 miles away from the north point of Assateague Island, MD, and I didn't saw or heard about bikes being restricted from the island, as long as you are allow on foot, you should be good to go on bike. Just no motorized vehicle on the beach.

And I agree, it's beautiful out there, make me wish I had a fat bike here all summer long
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the quick replies! Anyone actually ridden out there and any recommendations?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I did the Seagull Century last October, and we had a rest stop on Assateague Island on the Maryland side. My advice, watch out for the thorns on the road. I was using Black Floyd slicks, and I got at least two flats after rolling through Assateague.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Last summer I attempted to ride from the top to the bottom of the island on my fat bike. Before I went I reviewed the local and park laws. Nothing prohibits you from riding on the beach (stay off dunes). There is a stack of signs telling you all the things you CANNOT do on the beach. None of them speak to bikes.

I started riding. Soon after I reached the section of beach where cars were required to have a permit to be on the beach. There were lots of people fishing. Ride up and around their lines.

Then it happened...
    I'm in the middle of nowhere. I hear a police siren. WTF? It was the park police "pulling" me over. He said he had several complains about a biker on the beach. I guess the permit holders were pissed I did not have to pay for a permit to be on "their" beach. The cop tried to make me walk my bike to the road (to ride all they way back). I told him it was legal for me to be here and he could not cite a specific law I was breaking. I wanted to be cool with him and not stir up **** for the biker community so I agreed to turnaround and bike the beach back to where I started (hours away). He was not thrilled about that.

Bottom line? Know the law and don't let yourself get pushed around. The ride was great. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Re: Fatbiking allowed at Assateague Island VA?

Thats so odd redline814. All the info on the OHV area and permits refer to motorized vehicles only. No mention of non-motorized activities. We fatbikes really confuse people, don't we!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode the beach at Assateague a couple of weeks ago on my fat bike. Had a blast! I stayed away from vehicle section, too many people fishing. I also only rode the less populated areas of swimmers. Never had any trouble. Had to keep moving, ever time I stopped I got swarmed with people looking at the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Graluc, were you on the MD or VA end of the island? What time of day did you ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I live in northern Virginia and this year will be my 15th Seagull Century. To do something different, I've decided to do the ride on my Moonlander with BFL tires. Of course, when I get to Assateague, I'll do some riding on the beach before heading back to the finish. Should be a blast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    MD side. Looked for signs prohibiting bikes and never saw anything. I road up in the campground and accessed beach from there. Tried to keep a low profile just in case. Both days I rode around 3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I rode on VA side today. Rode with the family to the bike beach and then rode north fir awhile. Was hard but fun. Plan to go by myself some evening.