Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fatbikes under $1000 bucks

We all know about Framed, Bikes Direct and Walgoose. Any one else apart of this box of crayons?
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member

Two Headed Boy
    The aluminum charge cooker maxi 1 is 999 I believe. Pretty nice ride for the money.
    Charge Bikes / Cooker Maxi 1
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Laramie, Wyoming
    What? They actually make bikes that cost less than $1000?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    KHS 4 Season 500 is around $1k MSRP
    4 SEASON 500 - KHS Bicycles

I have above mentioned 2015 Norco Bigfoot 6.3.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trower View Post
    The aluminum charge cooker maxi 1 is 999 I believe. Pretty nice ride for the money.
    Charge Bikes / Cooker Maxi 1

That looks like a Boris frame from bikes direct, what do you think?
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a Boris from BD....I think its the same as a KHS?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    What's the biggest difference in these under $1000 bikes and, say, your $1500-$2000 Pugsley or Mukluk type fat bikes? Components? Frame quality?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    That looks like a Boris frame from bikes direct, what do you think?
    Yes, looks like it. KHS 4 Season 1000 is basically Boris X5 ??
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassavant89 View Post
    What's the biggest difference in these under $1000 bikes and, say, your $1500-$2000 Pugsley or Mukluk type fat bikes? Components? Frame quality?
    I've got the pre-bluto BD Lurch. Paid $879, now priced at $999. No complaints on specs = x7/x9, BB7, solid frame.

To me the biggest issue is the stock tire rim combo. The stock Vee Snowshoe was horrible. Swapped with Surly Bud/Lou. The rim is heavy and not tubeless compatible. Will be replacing with either the Sun Ringle Mulefut or Bontrager Jackalope.

That adds roughly $1000 to the price of the bike. Many people are happy with the stock setup...as usual, it's a personal preference thing.

mtbr member
    My Nashbar Big Ol Fat Bike came to me shipped for less than $1000. Excellent chro mo frame with solid components and ordinary wheels and cheap tires. Main cost savings were in the wheels and tires and the throw away seat. Everything else is as good as I'll ever need, and after I drill the 4" wheels they'll be keepers too.

I'll get some Rabbit hole rims and 3" Knards and have a freak of a one bike setup for any use I'll ever need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    My Nashbar Big Ol Fat Bike came to me shipped for less than $1000. Excellent chro mo frame with solid components and ordinary wheels and cheap tires. Main cost savings were in the wheels and tires and the throw away seat. Everything else is as good as I'll ever need, and after I drill the 4" wheels they'll be keepers too.

I'll get some Rabbit hole rims and 3" Knards and have a freak of a one bike setup for any use I'll ever need.
    You have a weight on that Bad boy?
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassavant89 View Post
    Guessing here. I would imagine the under $1000 bike frame is MASS produced compared to the above mentioned bikes. That makes for a lower price point. Puges are steal that's most certainly more expensive then the CoMo or Alum.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    You have a weight on that Bad boy?
    No I don't...something north of 30 pounds I'm sure, probably 35 ish. And chrome moly is steel...it has a steel frame like Teh Pugs. Beautifully welded, I might add...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    My Nashbar Big Ol Fat Bike came to me shipped for less than $1000. Excellent chro mo frame
    I wish they would just sell that frame!
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    I wish they would just sell that frame!
    Other than wheels and tires and seat, how would you build it out differently, that would really effect it's function or durability? (I don't know if there is something I should think about upgrading.)

mtbr member
    What about an $1800 Fatboy from Specialized with a lifetime warranty from your LBS. I don't know about other LBS's but I got the $1800 OTD price with lifetime warranty and tuneups. I have no problem paying a bit more for this level of service, and I have used it and appreciate it. YMMV
    Cheers,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Guzzi Obrian View Post
    What about an $1800 Fatboy from Specialized with a lifetime warranty from your LBS. I don't know about other LBS's but I got the $1800 OTD price with lifetime warranty and tuneups. I have no problem paying a bit more for this level of service, and I have used it and appreciate it. YMMV
    Cheers,
    FGO
    I'm with you...I'm a LBS supporter in a major way, but this happened to be exactly the bike I wanted, and OD green to boot.

mtbr member
    We all know about Framed, Bikes Direct and Walgoose. Any one else apart of this box of crayons?
    I think these Taiwan (or Chinese) fat bikes will also fit that price range.

26x44cm XDS Brute Fat Bike Grey/Black

K2 Sideshow Fatbike

The price is generally around 800 to 900.
    Depends I guess on the parts you choose?

more info:

XDS Fat 21-Speed 17" Fat Tire Bike - XDS Bikes

Mountain Bikes: XDS Fat Bike 3.0 - Big Boy

cheers!
    Last edited by diffy; 11-06-2014 at 01:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Guzzi Obrian View Post
    Cheers,
    FGO
    Well its more than $1000 bucks and for the person who's going to ride the bike won't put it to the test. The reason for this particular thread is to bring to one place all the fatbikes that are cheap and only get a days interest on this forum and descend to page two. That's why I did not mention the Fatboy it in the OP. I completely see your point and for many bikers who have even the slightest potential to become a avid Fatty rider I would recommend the $2000 price point even for their first bike. Mine was $3200 in 2012.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm wanting to get back into the biking scene and really like what I see with these fat bikes.

I'm planning to budget for around $1500 (not to derail this thread) I've always been interested in Surly bikes and really like the looks of the Ice Cream Truck.

I don't need THE BEST components as I can always upgrade later, wouldn't mind starting with a simple build with a nice frame and nice wheel set. From what research I've done (very little) I think I'd like the clown shoes with 4''+ wide tires.

Is that doable for my price range? May even order it single speed, if that makes things cheaper. I'm looking for simplicity, a neighborhood/commuter/light trail cruiser.

Also like the Specialized mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What? They actually make bikes that cost less than $1000?
    That's what I was thinking

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Guessing here. I would imagine the under $1000 bike frame is MASS produced compared to the above mentioned bikes. That makes for a lower price point. Puges are steal that's most certainly more expensive then the CoMo or Alum.
    you seem pretty knowledgeable.

Specialized Fatboy
    I completely see your point and for many bikers who have even the slightest potential to become a avid Fatty rider I would recommend the $2000 price point even for their first bike. Mine was $3200 in 2012.
    I have no experience whatsoever with fatbikes, but I agree. My full suspension was in the 30 lbs range and I felt to further the advantage over my old bike it needed to be in the 30 lbs range am I wrong? I can't see a heavy fatbike being better even if it does have bigger tires for better traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy21 View Post
    I'm wanting to get back into the biking scene and really like what I see with these fat bikes.

I'm planning to budget for around $1500 (not to derail this thread) I've always been interested in Surly bikes and really like the looks of the Ice Cream Truck.

I don't need THE BEST components as I can always upgrade later, wouldn't mind starting with a simple build with a nice frame and nice wheel set. From what research I've done (very little) I think I'd like the clown shoes with 4''+ wide tires.

Is that doable for my price range? May even order it single speed, if that makes things cheaper. I'm looking for simplicity, a neighborhood/commuter/light trail cruiser.

Do yourself a favor and take a Trek Farley 6 for a ride. Then decide.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

Old Fart Swamper
    The Game changer:

Bucksaw | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Buckshaw 2, $4,000.00

Yeah I'm saving up for it, got $1600 so far...
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diffy View Post
    I think these Taiwan (or Chinese) fat bikes will also fit that price range.

26x44cm XDS Brute Fat Bike Grey/Black

K2 Sideshow Fatbike

The price is generally around 800 to 900.
    Depends I guess on the parts you choose?

more info:

XDS Fat 21-Speed 17" Fat Tire Bike - XDS Bikes

Mountain Bikes: XDS Fat Bike 3.0 - Big Boy

cheers!
    I did not know any of these bikes existed. Lots of options.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy21 View Post

Couple of thoughts. The next $500 you spend, meaning moving up to $2000 will get you exactly what you want and you won't be wishing for more for at least a little while.

You might try a Bikes Direct frame that fits 5 inch tires then just get some clown shoes.

Or just get the ICE cream truck. Whats your price on getting an Ice Cream Truck?

Why do you want Clown Shoes and 4 inch tires.

I maybe wrong here, someone correct me if I am, but I think nicer SS are more expensive than the traditional 2x and 3x counter parts. Availability of parts and demand keep the price up.

Good luck
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now even Sport Check has their fat bike for sale. It is nowhere worth $999, but being Sport Check, they will most likely have a 20-30% sale at some point. Lets say $699 on sale and it could be interesting for a non avid biker to try, that does not want to go through the hassle and extra expense (or does not know it is and option) of importing Framed, Nashbar or Bikesdirect bike to Canada. At least it wasn't 50lbs like Kawasaki Sumo.

X5 front mech
    Altus rear mech
    Altus shifters
    Tektro Novela brakes, levers, 160 rotors
    Samox 32/22T crank (I think...)
    11-32 8spd cassette
    4"-ish tires, heavy cheapo wheels??
    around 38-40lbs??

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought the BikesDirect Boris X9 for $800. Upgraded the tires to On One Floaters and converted to tubeless via split tube, On One Mary handlebars and ODI Rouge grips. All this for less than $1000. I took the bike for a maiden ride in the snow and it was a blast! Excellent traction on the ice/snow packed road and single track trail at 7 PSI in the floaters. BTW, no issues with the split tube method, holds pressure for weeks.

If a person can work on their bikes, BD is the way to go and if you want a Bluto, the Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro comes in at $999.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Fatbikes under $1000 bucks

I've never built up a bike but sort of think anything can be learned and the LBS could bail me out.

I am hesitant to order site unseen/ridden so am leaning toward Minnesota 3.0. However, I like the Boris build and specs. Decisions, decisions.

NYC Rollin Fattyz

Fattyz Under $1000??

After seeing a Charge Cooker Maxi for the first time and seeing it's $1600 price tag, I was on a mission to find me a Fatty that costs no more than $850. Wifey would not let me spend any more than that.

I discovered the mass produced Mongoose line of fat bikes that cost from $197 to $350. I was stoked to buy one, but none were available anywhere during my searching period. So, I turned to Ebay to see what I could find.

The Framed Minnesota 1.0 was the Fatty I finally settled for. $849 was the cost, free shipping and it would come with an extra set of wheels with 2 inch wide tires. $749 with free shipping without the extra set of wheels. I was getting ready to click the Purchase Now button, when I came across an auction for a Fatty with a built-on removable rack and a starting bid of $499. The bike was called the Surface 604 Element. I went to the Surface 604 website and found the bike retailing for $999.

Back to Ebay, that Surface Fatty auction was down to it's final 3 minutes when I made my bid move. I was the first person to bid on it. 3 minutes expired and I was the only person to bid on it. The bike showed up in the mail 8 days later. $499 and $99 to ship to me in NYC from Canada. I couldn't be happier!

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20140727_192927.jpg
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Think of this....

Bike Shops are probably paying the same price for the Salsas, Treks, ect, in boxes to build as what BikesDirect charge people who want to build their own bikes in their homes.

I did A LOT of test riding and research before buying my Gravity Bullseye Monster and LOVE that bike! I will probably ride it all year on all surfaces! LOVE IT! Cost $499 and the time it took my husband to put it together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    Bike Shops are probably paying the same price for the Salsas, Treks, ect, in boxes to build as what BikesDirect charge people who want to build their own bikes in their homes.
    That's what BD wants people to think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    That's what BD wants people to think.
    So? What do you think LBS pay for their Dealership and Bikes? The LBS make enough money to stay in business, pay rent, insurance, take home paychecks for how many people? And everything else.

mtbr member
    I saw some comments on Chinese parts. PLEASE do your research, you might be surprised how much of these bikes, all or many brands that is, can and are made in China.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ballpark estimate for dealer cost is around 60% of MSRP.

This varies as there is usually tiered pricing that gives lower costs to dealers who sell more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So? What do you think LBS pay for their Dealership and Bikes? The LBS make enough money to stay in business, pay rent, insurance, take home paychecks for how many people? And everything else.
    Maybe I slightly misread your original post. What BD wants people to think is that their bikes are the same quality as the major brands.

A BD bike that would be the same price as a dealer price for a Salsa,Trek, ect would be of lower build and component quality. Now they are still good value bikes, just not nearly the "killer deal" that BD wants you to think they are.

I think earlier in this thread, someone asked what the difference between a BD bike and a name brand bike is. Part of it is certainly the brand name, R&D costs, and shop assembly costs. However a lot of it is in the component details.

Discussion on BD bikes are all over the internet and there's really nothing new to be said here for fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    The Game changer:

Bucksaw | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Buckshaw 2, $4,000.00

Yeah I'm saving up for it, got $1600 so far...
    $1800 for the frame then build it. I will have about $4100 into mine and it will be spec'd out lighter than the BS1, yet only a touch more $$ than a BS2 and I have carbon toys for it (bars and seat post). :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Ballpark estimate for dealer cost is around 60% of MSRP.

This varies as there is usually tiered pricing that gives lower costs to dealers who sell more.
    My point exactly. <smiles>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    Maybe I slightly misread your original post. What BD wants people to think is that their bikes are the same quality as the major brands.

A BD bike that would be the same price as a dealer price for a Salsa,Trek, ect would be of lower build and component quality. Now they are still good value bikes, just not nearly the "killer deal" that BD wants you to think they are.

I think earlier in this thread, someone asked what the difference between a BD bike and a name brand bike is. Part of it is certainly the brand name, R&D costs, and shop assembly costs. However a lot of it is in the component details.

Discussion on BD bikes are all over the internet and there's really nothing new to be said here for fat bikes.
    Yes, but my point was, the DB Bikes ARE to the quality of twice their price, compared to the Dealer/Buyer prices of other bike. And this makes them a good value for your money....IF you are able to build the bikes yourself.

mtbr member
    Yes, but my point was, the DB Bikes ARE to the quality of twice their price, compared to the Dealer/Buyer prices of other bike. And this makes them a good value for your money....IF you are able to build the bikes yourself.
    The BD bikes are a great value but they're not spec'd and thought out as well as a brand name bike at a LBS.

For one example all you need to do is compare the wheelsets and tires that come equipped stock for stock.

I'm in the market for my first fatbike and am considering a BD bike. But I'm not delusional. If you want good tires, wheels, hubs and drivetrain parts you're going to get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    The BD bikes are a great value but they're not spec'd and thought out as well as a brand name bike at a LBS.

For one example all you need to do is compare the wheelsets and tires that come equipped stock for stock.

I'm in the market for my first fatbike and am considering a BD bike. But I'm not delusional. If you want good tires, wheels, hubs and drivetrain parts you're going to get what you pay for.
    You need to do more research - the drivetrain on the BD bikes is usually about the same as what you would get on an LBS bike at close to 2X the price - My $1200 Sturgis comes with the same cranks, FD, RD and the BD bike has better shifters as the Fatboy for $2100 - Yeah the tires on the Fatboy are better, but $900 will go a long way towards some new rubber. The hubs are a wash as they are both OK nothing great, but with all the reports of Fatboy stripped free hubs and no such issues on the Lurch bikes (same hubs as the Sturgis/NT) I think I would say the BD hubs are better. Heck even the brakes are the same on the Fatboy and the Sturgis. Actually turns out after I did some research the BD bikes and the Fatboy are using the SAME NOVATECH HUBS. Hmm. The first Fatboys shipped with the older 24POE hubs and the new version is much stronger and has 27POE. MY BD hub has the 27POE -
    Drink the LBS Koolaid if you want - I just want to ride and have been very impressed with the quality of both my BD bikes to date. >>> Edit to add I love my LBS and will continue to buy and support them, but just saying BD bikes are inferior is incorrect.

mtbr member
    The only thing wrong with BD bikes is availability. Paying in advance and waiting 4months is not an option for some folks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    The only thing wrong with BD bikes is availability. Paying in advance and waiting 4months is not an option for some folks.
    This is true - I cheated and did the Paypal thing, no payments no interest for 6 months so at least I didn't let BD use my money for 3 months, I let them use Paypal's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    This is true - I cheated and did the Paypal thing, no payments no interest for 6 months so at least I didn't let BD use my money for 3 months, I let them use Paypal's.
    I was planning on doing the same thing. I wanted a small Sturgis Bullet, I would if been middle of February before I seen it. Trek does 12 months same as cash....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I payed for my Bucksaw deposit with my Papal Credit as well so I don't have to pay for it until it actually ships either. :-)
    I did a Trek account years ago to buy a full squish bike. :-)

mtbr member
    I did not know any of these bikes existed. Lots of options.
    They are mostly popular in Asia than in the North Am.
    I really like the quality of the aluminum frame... up close, you cant see any welds, its like they've perfected hydro-forming? Hehehe...

Here's more info... from Thailand:
    http://image.ohozaa.com/i/2be/HMLP7v.jpg
    http://image.ohozaa.com/i/729/hsnOZ5.JPG
    http://image.ohozaa.com/i/e0e/aYCBzy.JPG

link:
    Fatbike Forum

from Singapore:
    link:
    bikeworld

...and another one from Tokyobikes.ru:
    XDS Ver. 2.0 | Tokyo Bikes
    XDS Ver. 3.0 | Tokyo Bikes

cheers!
    Last edited by diffy; 12-03-2014 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have built about a dozen bikes direct bikes for friends but never owned one myself til my boris x5. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a bike I would mainly ride on the beach and in the snow so it fit my requirements. I've spent another 150 for tires handlebar stem grips and a saddle. Not bad really. I had a problem with the back wheel, so they sent me another one. Not a big deal at all. They are great at customer service and have the best prices. Who doesn't want to support that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

framed mini-sota first impressions

hi all, i had bought the framed mini-sota 24" fatbike for my 8yo's Christmas and just got it yesterday. first impressions are really good! components are good quality- having only bought top of the line product for myself up to this point, i really didnt know what to expect out of the mini-sota. miraculously, not one adjustment of brakes or shifting needed straight out if the box! im impressed. 639.00 shipped vs. the 1000.00 retail (sales tax not included) for the specialized fatboy 24... i think i made the right choice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    i know people are going to ask... it is 33 lbs in weight with no mods.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Fatbikes under 00 bucks-1418222614329.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome gift, makes me wish I had a son! I can only imagine the reaction he'll have Christmas morning. Then you have the best excuse to be out more on your Fatty. That alone is worth 6 hundo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    thanks jpfurn! my 8 yo is actually a girl, but at this point there were no other color options but i agree with your sentiment, she will love it, and the time we get to spend together biking in the snow will be worth the money!

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Man. Hope ours is on the way. Saw they changed the date for delivery. Just got my 3.0 and my son is a bit jealous.

Looks good. Is the crank threaded for a granny ring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
    thanks jpfurn! my 8 yo is actually a girl, but at this point there were no other color options but i agree with your sentiment, she will love it, and the time we get to spend together biking in the snow will be worth the money!
    That's what I get for assuming! Actually this is even better news, I have two daughters of my own and thought about a fat bike down the road. My initial thoughts were to wait a couple years because she isn't a strong enough rider to keep up with us on a light skinny tire MTB. I didn't want to slow her down more, plus I can't see her riding it much in the snow. As she gets stronger I'm going to have to persuade her and her sister to get out in the snow with me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jedsled, would you post a picture of the mini-sota next to your fatbike? I'd like to make even a visual comparison. I'm a smaller rider (5'5", 28 inseam) looking to buy my first fatty. I tried my friends Mongoose but it's a lot of bike to handle. Those tires are monstrous!
    I'm currently comparing 24" frames out there - Spesh fatboy 24, on-one baby fatty and this one. A low standover will be more forgiving when my feet sinks in the snow. TIA
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Here's a couple of pictures of the Mini-Sota next to a Minnesota 2.0 and a 1.0

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-535939_743295379090332_7436581092124715711_n.jpgFatbikes under 00 bucks-10731119_746469372106266_4553181728065859461_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Kawidan, you are the man!!!!

mtbr member
    Another picture next to a Womens 2.0 15" and what I think is a 20" 2.0

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-19929.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    Another picture next to a Womens 2.0 15" and what I think is a 20" 2.0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19929.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	945626
    Great!!!

I see somewhat a 29r and 26r comparison on that one. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    BTW, didn't mean to hijack the thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My dealer called and my son's mini came in yesterday. So hard for me to wait for Christmas to give it to him. Can't wait!
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    yes aarontriton, this might be an early Christmas gift... if we get the snow (;

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    skeered1, the frame on the mini is actually 13" with 24" tires... would be too small for you. im 508 with 30" inseam, and its tiny/cramped for me to ride, even tho the standover height is 25.5"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
    skeered1, the frame on the mini is actually 13" with 24" tires... would be too small for you. im 508 with 30" inseam, and its tiny/cramped for me to ride, even tho the standover height is 25.5"
    Thanks Jeb. Naturally the top-tubes of the 24s are shorter except On-ones Babyfatty. It's only 3/4" shorter compared to my GT Sanctions top tube. The wheelsize is what attracts me. A 24" w/ 4" tires is very close in size to my 26r trailbike.
    I've only tested a friends medium fatty so it wasn't a fair trial. Tho, those 26 x 4 wheels reminds me of a 29r ride. Anyways, I'm hoping to do more test rides this weekend and hopefully get my fatty by Christmas.
    Happy trails to you and the little one!

mtbr member

framed mini-sota first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    Jedsled, would you post a picture of the mini-sota next to your fatbike? I'd like to make even a visual comparison. I'm a smaller rider (5'5", 28 inseam) looking to buy my first fatty. I tried my friends Mongoose but it's a lot of bike to handle. Those tires are monstrous!
    I'm currently comparing 24" frames out there - Spesh fatboy 24, on-one baby fatty and this one. A low standover will be more forgiving when my feet sinks in the snow. TIA
    I'm 5' 6" and the trek farley fits me with plenty of stand over.

And thank you for posting the pic of the mini fat bike I to will ordering one for my daughter

Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Built up my wife's Mini-Sota with a few mods yesterday.

Xt 1x10, 11/36 cassette, race face 30t, carbon slk bars. 29 lbs on shop scale. Fort Custer on Sunday for first ride! Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Any pictures soleman? That sounds like a pretty sweet setup with the 30T and 11-36 cassette.
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fatbikes under 00 bucks-dscn4254.jpgFatbikes under 00 bucks-dscn4257.jpg

11-36 1x10 using xt rear deraileur and 30t narrow wide, carbon bars and 29 lbs on shop scale

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks sweet!

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

mtbr member

More choices

Another option yawl.

Badger Cycle Works

I am still leaning on the 2015 framed 2015 for my wife, as the above bike has a 1x9 drive train.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    The Badger looks like a great option...drilled rims and everything. 1x9 is interesting too.

mtbr member
    Toss in a couple things I would look for....look at the hubs, Since every snow ride is a rain ride( active word here is water), look for hubs with sealed bearings. I like hydro brakes, set them and forget them, the cable ones seem to need more fussing with and in most cases and they do not stop as well imo.....if you think you might want front suspension, get it with the bike....but that is going to bounce you over your $1000 mark

As for the KHS and the Boris....same frame, the KHS frame looks like it is finished a little better but they are made in the same factory imo
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: framed mini-sota first impressions

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-uploadfromtaptalk1419905869442.jpg jumping off a skinny on the mini!

mtbr member
    I'm still on the fence for one of the for one of my girls (10yr) but know that I can at least get tires for the bike now gives me some hope!

(Found these looking for fatties this weekend!) - 3 different models no less
    Vee Tire Co. Mission 24x4.0 Fat Tire

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Why worry about tires you can get them from chao yang. The stock tires are great. And now specialized had GC for 24"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Why worry about tires you can get them from chao yang. The stock tires are great. And now specialized had GC for 24"

but is specialized selling the 24" ground control tires seperately? last i checked with my dealer i couldnt...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not yet . But I'm sure they will soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Missions are not great tires, esp on the front, I have a 26" set that I can't sell.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Missions are not great tires, esp on the front, I have a 26" set that I can't sell.
    I also have a set that I can't even give away! This is such a poor tire all around.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My son has 100 miles since Christmas on his stock tires we rode 15 today on ice cold single trek stock tires are great. I sure would not replace for missions I just took that garbage off my bike so sure wouldn't put them on my son's bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just went down to the House to check out the Mini sota for my wife. She's 5' 1 1/2" with a size 7 1/2 foot. Her inseam is about 26". The main problem was here foot was hitting the front wheel when pedaling and turning. She also thought that the bike just felt too small. I'm not convinced that the bike was too small, but the foot hitting the wheel was going to be a big problem, especially with winter footwear. We passed and are waiting till I can get here to try out the Boris X9 which has a different top tube and supposedly a .7" higher standover, but feels lower when actually on the bike. Boris is in a different state currently and I will give an update, once she gets on the Boris.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My 8 year old rode one today now it's only a matter of time till he cracks me his 24" Cannondale is getting to smallFatbikes under 00 bucks-image.jpg

Back in NH
    Jan 2005

Here is our Mini

My son is 8 and will be 9 in a month. Mini came in early this week. We are in the process of swapping some gearing by adding a front der with a seat post adapter to 100mm bb. Swapped to triggers front and rear and a new crank with a 22/32 ring set. Everything is on but the crank is super stuck and has not been pulled yet. Have a couple options for cranks but it will be shortened to about 150-155mm by drilling and tapping new pedal holes on a 175mm crank. We did this for his xc bike. My son is a strong rider for his age/size but just a moderate grade on snow for anytime needs a much lower gear. I am considering pulling the crank on my Minnesota 3.0 with SLX rings and plastic bash and moving it over after shortening them. Then I will be forced to upgrade...
    Original crank is not drilled or fully cast for a granny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150117_155950.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150117_160045.jpg  

Last edited by WesternMD; 01-18-2015 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member

2.0 size comparison

Quote Originally Posted by skeered1 View Post
    Based on the small 2.0 I just got my wife, who is 5'8" with 33" inseam, there is very little stand over height. If I were you I would go with the 24" mini. IMHO these are not snow friendly geometry bikes. Still a great bike though. Awesome value.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-image.jpg  

It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Here you go

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-19929.jpgFatbikes under 00 bucks-10731119_746469372106266_4553181728065859461_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    And another

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-535939_743295379090332_7436581092124715711_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

Back in NH
    Jan 2005
    Based on the small 2.0 I just got my wife, who is 5'8" with 33" inseam, there is very little stand over height. If I were you I would go with the 24" mini. IMHO these are not snow friendly geometry bikes. Still a great bike though. Awesome value.
    Minnesota 3.0 geometry is way different than 2.0. 2.0 is super tall and short in top tube giving lousy stand over. When shopping for myself at 5' 7" with short legs and a longer torso I rode the 18" 2.0 that had the right top tube but had a 19" seat tube! the 16" 3.0 had a longer top tube and way more standover. BB drop is greater on the 3.0 adding to stand over. Way more favorable geometry. Stand over is not the right way to fit a bike but it sure is nice.
    I do not see the mini being a super choice for anyone over 5'. Too short and cramped with the likeliness of toe overlap. Personally I think the 2.0 is a poorly designed fram from a geometry standpoint. Check out the 3.0 in a 16".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD View Post
    Minnesota 3.0 geometry is way different than 2.0. 2.0 is super tall and short in top tube giving lousy stand over. When shopping for myself at 5' 7" with short legs and a longer torso I rode the 18" 2.0 that had the right top tube but had a 19" seat tube! the 16" 3.0 had a longer top tube and way more standover. BB drop is greater on the 3.0 adding to stand over. Way more favorable geometry. Stand over is not the right way to fit a bike but it sure is nice.
    I do not see the mini being a super choice for anyone over 5'. Too short and cramped with the likeliness of toe overlap. Personally I think the 2.0 is a poorly designed fram from a geometry standpoint. Check out the 3.0 in a 16".
    I can agree with this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMD View Post
    ^^^ very helpful post. Thanks for sharing that.

mtbr member
    Mind if I ask your wife's measurements?

I'm looking at the Mini-Sota for myself, at just under 5'2 with a 27" inseam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Melll View Post
    Mind if I ask your wife's measurements?

I'm looking at the Mini-Sota for myself, at just under 5'2 with a 27" inseam.
    My wife is 5 1 1/2" with a 26 inseam and size 7.5 shoes. The bike was too small for her. Feet hit the front wheel when turning. Was not going to work. Said she felt like she was on a little kids bike. We're going to see if she fits the Boris, which is a waaaay better bike.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    My wife is 5 1 1/2" with a 26 inseam and size 7.5 shoes. The bike was too small for her. Feet hit the front wheel when turning. Was not going to work. Said she felt like she was on a little kids bike. We're going to see if she fits the Boris, which is a waaaay better bike.
    Thanks - that helps heaps

mtbr member
    Performance Bike - Fat Bikes - Category

Access Chinook Bravo Fat Bike
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So generally speaking, what IS considered to be the best value on a Fat Bike under a $1000? (Minus BD bikes and used fat bikes)

Bigfoot 6.3? Cooker Maxi 1? Minnesota 2.0? F@E? Fattywampus?

Just looking to get back in to biking after a long layoff, and just looking at entry level bikes right now. Seems like a loaded question, but I didn't see a general consensus in this thread.

Yes, yes, I know...save for a better bike, but I'm genuinely interested in the <$1K answer before I start saving for a Fatboy SE or the likes.

mtbr member

$700-$1000 to Spend

Sorry for another one of these threads, but my buddy needs a new bike. He has $700 now, and may be able to come up with a bit more. Most of the riding will be trails, it doenst snow around here. These are the bikes he has narrowed it down to:

1: Boris X9 $800
    2: Minnesota 1.0 $750
    3: Boris Brute $1000
    4: Gravity Monster Pro $1000

The Boris X9 seems like the best bang for the buck, but its not Bluto ready. The Gravity Monster Pro has the bluto, but the rest of the bike isn't nearly as good. And the Minnesota is the lightest.

Any other thoughts you guys have, or things he should consider? There are VERY few used fat bikes in this area.

Which is the best bike for the $$$?

aka bOb
    Don't know anything about said bikes but my advice is to look at the frame first for geo, material,hub width, axle type, and what fork it can run now and in the future. Look next at the wheels and hubs as those are the next big ticket items. Then cranks, brakes and tires. Lastly and for myself personally I wouldn't spend to much time on the other crap because it can be replaced inexpensively when the it wears out, self destructs, or just upgrade-itis steps in. I think to many people see an x9 rear derailleur and get all google eyed and forget about the actual heartbeat of the bike.

mtbr member
    Ya thats pretty much what we have done. They are all Al frames. The Minnesota has cheaper parts, but is pounds lighter. They others are pretty much the same. mostly straight steerer tubes, and All x7 or x9 except for the Monster pro which is X4 but has a Bluto already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I got the Minnesota 3.0 for just under $1,000 at a local shop, so that might be something to consider too. X7 components, 190 mm rear end, and Bluto-ready with the tapered tube and thru axle. I think it's pretty good bang for the buck, and my early review is it's super fun to ride.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast