Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Give'er!
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post

As basic as she is, I'm loving my '16 Rocky mountain blizzard 10
    I have the same bike (though you got yours at a better sale price than I did!) I only have three rides on it on account of having a few teeth pulled shortly after I got it and then the weather going all melty/rainy, but the rides I did get on it were awesome! Really hoping the weather either melts everything or drops below freezing and snows so I can get back out again.

mtbr member

Fatbikes under $1000 bucks

Well let me add the Raleigh pardner. Steel frame, 4" tires, neon green, bolt on wheels. 9 speed shimano alivio drive train. Triple front crank.

Having had a chance to ride and play with this bike my initial reactions are good. I took the time to properly lube the joy tech hubs, and with them lubed and adjusted the spin very nicely. I did add a adjustable stem on because I need to be up a bit more.
    Also I tend to replace all cable hanger clips with zip ties.
    I wanted steel, it's a nice bike for steel in my honest opinion. Seeing these for about 799.00. If you are fire/ems you can get it cheaper. I got mine for 540.00 shipped. Pm me and I'll tell ya how.
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Sasquatch
    I've been riding a Motobecane Sturgis NX since October 2016. I weigh 270 lbs and have been riding the thing hard. BMX jumps, Moutain bike jumps, hitting the skate/bike park with my son, all kinds of trails, rock crawling, trials riding, you name it. The only issue I've had is the Novatec rear hub. It would pop and slip sometimes under power. Well and I broke the stock KMC chain, but I think that was due to it getting sucked into the wheel once.
    So far it seems to be an excellent bike.
    The only mods I've done is to put better brake pads on, and change the stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I bought this Fuji Wendigo 1.1 aluminum last fall and rode it all winter in SW N. Dakota. Coldest weather I've ridden it in was -10f with a -30 wind chill (twice). -30 with wind chill is my self-imposed limit. Anything colder than that and I'm on the spin bike in the basement.

I was torn between medium and large when I bought this because some of the standover issues it seems a fat bike can have (I normally ride a large full susp., which suits me well). I went with the medium and it was a little tight before I added a Ritchey 20mm set back post with saddle slid back and wider with only 4 degree sweep Spank Oozy bars (stock were 9 degrees) -- and now the bike fits me close to how my large full sus does. Also ditched stock seat for a WTB, which I do with ANY new bike I get. Have also added mud shovel fenders. May upgrade wheels/tires at some point just to cut some rotating weight, though I must say I actually like the Bulldozer tires quite a bit for all around riding.

Bike retailed for $1350 but got it for $995 on sale and using some performance points I had built up. Not the fanciest bike in the world, but has been a great intro to fat biking. I think it has really nice spec for the price, even at full retail, with XT rear, Deore shifters, X7 front, salsa hubs etc. I guess the places Fuji cheaped out were the Samox crank (though it's been fine so far), and my biggest complaint, the Tektro hydro brakes. I replaced the front rotor with a Shimano RT66 (not shown in pics) as I couldn't adjust or get the stock front rotor to run quiet or true to save my life.

I am now hooked on fat, am lusting after a Bucksaw carbon or Farley 9.8 EX. Fat is definitely where it's at!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_0911-2-.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fullsizerender-32-.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fuji-harmon-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    A semi off-topic question: thru all these is there a top 3 under 1k? I've got my eye on the mongoose just because I'm liking the pricepoint... thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman13 View Post
    A semi off-topic question: thru all these is there a top 3 under 1k? I've got my eye on the mongoose just because I'm liking the pricepoint... thanks
    I'm not sure if there are any rankings for the under $1k fatties; best advice I can offer is read the forums and form your own opinions. This thread is unfortunately pretty dead if you hadn't already noticed...

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    So? What do you think LBS pay for their Dealership and Bikes? The LBS make enough money to stay in business, pay rent, insurance, take home paychecks for how many people? And everything else.
    Pretty much guarantee that most bike shops send more of your money to Uncle Sam than they pocket.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Evo Big Ridge 7.0, under $850CAD or $645USD (walmart carries them). Alloy frame and alloy fork, 100mm drilled rims, 135/190 spacing with a solid locknut rear axle, 1x8 but the freehub is a standard shimano body so you can easily 1x11 it by just changing the shifter, chain, derailleur and cassette. Square taper BB/crank. Tires are a Chao Yang wire-bead OEM version of their Big Daddy tread in a 26 x 4.0 but the frame & fork has clearance for Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8s.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

Evo Big Ridge 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    135/190 spacing with a solid locknut rear axle
    evo websites specs 10x190 - should be QR?

(walmart carries them)

Appears to be out of stock there, but Niagara Cycle lists it: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...icycle-black-l

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    LL Bean sells a Reid for about $850.
    Last edited by J_Ghost; 08-19-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Evo Big Ridge is a solid 10mm threaded rear axle with nuts, not a Quick release or thru-shaft.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Northrock XX00

This is the Northrock XX00 which was sold through certain Costco stores. I bought one, knowing it was an entry level bike. I plan to use it mostly in the winter, pulling my kids around in their sled and that sort of thing, so I didn't mind it wasn't a pro level ride.

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_20170721_1931268_rewind.jpg

The biggest weakness is the crank which has a 36 tooth sprocket.
    It also has a thread on freewheel, 14-28, 7-speed. At least you get a cartridge bottom bracket, square taper of course. There are quick releases on front and back.

The bike felt medium in weight, but I didn't weigh it. A fair guess is 35 lbs. It is an aluminum frame. The rims look like the same ones used on other inexpensive fatties.

When I was deciding whether to buy it or not, the decision was yes if I could use it as is, and no if I had to immediately upgrade something. I figured the gearing was lousy, but since I used to ride a single-speed mountain bike, I could just ride in 1st gear all the time.

Everything else looked like it would work for me, a middle-age rider who has broken enough bones for one lifetime, and isn't going to race or jump the thing anytime soon.

After owning the bike, I threw on a crank I already had (not pictured), which is 22-32-42, 170mm arms. I don't plan any other changes. Mine was $269, marked off 10 percent for being the floor model.

Since the crank is square taper you can always swap it to a different one with a different bolt pattern, possibly even fit a double with a front derailleur and front shifter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

2018 Norco Bigfoot Ride and Review

This is a bike check and ride of the 2018 Norco Bigfoot 1. It is currently listed at $1399, but the Bigfoot 2 is $949. Check out the video, and let me know what you think.

Last edited by Colorado Mtb; 10-24-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: not what I wrote

mtbr member
    Forgive me if this is too off topic...but where does support for the LBS end? I've been to all the local shops and we have a lot of them in Minneapolis...all have a few name brand models in entry level and fully blinged out versions, all are at price points far above my budget (about $1,000) and far more expensive than some decent spec'd bikes from sites like BD or custom spec on a Framed bike. I try to shop local for parts and accessories, but I can't ever find what I'm looking for in a bike that's ready to go. I'd like to do my own wrenching, but still need local help on some of the more difficult stuff, or those services that require special tools? what kind of help can I expect if I take a bike that I bought online in for local help? I can get a bike with the features and components that I want online, at a price I can afford. I can't do the same at the LBS, but I need them there when I need them...what's the answer?
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguekid View Post
    Forgive me if this is too off topic...but where does support for the LBS end? I've been to all the local shops and we have a lot of them in Minneapolis...all have a few name brand models in entry level and fully blinged out versions, all are at price points far above my budget (about $1,000) and far more expensive than some decent spec'd bikes from sites like BD or custom spec on a Framed bike. I try to shop local for parts and accessories, but I can't ever find what I'm looking for in a bike that's ready to go. I'd like to do my own wrenching, but still need local help on some of the more difficult stuff, or those services that require special tools? what kind of help can I expect if I take a bike that I bought online in for local help? I can get a bike with the features and components that I want online, at a price I can afford. I can't do the same at the LBS, but I need them there when I need them...what's the answer?
    Dave
    You might buy used, the seller might buy from a LBS to replace a bike sold, obviously we each determine our budget, our preferences.

mtbr member
    +1

You can get yourself into a pretty nice used bike for under $1000. I picked up a used Ice Cream Truck for $900 and still had the LBS sticker on it too. Scan CL often. I donít live too far from your area and have seen some decent bikes on there recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh my TVC 15
    Dave
    I think you answered your own question. I will tell you, if no one bought a bike from a local bike store there wouldn't be any. There's not enough margin in parts sales to keep them afloat. They may be going away no matter what. Two of the shop owners I know pay more in sales tax than in salary. That's a tough book to balance.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One of the biggest money making things LBS does is service. The profit margins on parts are next to nothing and not that much on most bikes unless you go in to high end bikes. Any LBS will be happy to do service for you regardless where you got the bike.

If you can't find a bike in your budget at the local LBS then by all means buy online but you can always take it in for service if you do not want to do it yourself or do not have the time. Out of the last dozen family bikes I only purchased 5 brand new. the rest was used, mostly demo. My first 'real' bike was a $2300 Specialized Epic Comp I picked up as a demo in 2007 from another Phoenix and paid about $1400. My daughter rides it now. My second bike was a also a demo Ibis SL, ~$3.5k and I paid ~$1900. I sold it after 2 years for $1850. My next bike Ibis SLR I decided to buy parts and get it assembled at local LBS. It ended up costing me ~$6k. I got exactly what I wanted but now after gaining more experience I realize I should have build it myself. Still have the bike and love it. Then I got my first fattie Framed Minnesota 2.0 which was new. Sold it after 1 year at a loss and in late 2016 upgraded to Bikesdirect Motobecane Sturgis with bluto fork. Still hanging in garage and will sell at a loss after less than 10 rides as I got an awesome deal on a demo Salsa Bucksaw fattie in Colorado and now that's my favorite bike. It's a $4k bike that I was able to pickup for $2800. My friend just build another wheelset for it in 27.5" 40mm rims, hope hubs and 3.0 tires.

As you can see I got plenty of great deals on demo bikes and ended up saving a lot. All of these have been shipped and initially serviced at local LBS. Slowly I did more and more maintenance work myself and now I practically do it all. Brake bleeds, pressing in bottom brackets / headsets, fork / shock service to full teardown / rebuilds.

mtbr member
    I've had my KHS 500 for about a month, have ridden it almost every day. I hadn't ridden a fat bike before purchase, but have known for a long time that I needed one! I might want to upgrade later, but so far I love everything, x-5 2x10 works great every time, Doere hydraulics do their job excellently, CST BFT tires are great but slippery on wet rocks, hope they are good enough in snow. Got paid $1000 cash for some summer work, went to my local bike shop next day, they still had the right colour I was looking at in the spring. Win win. Don't care if I coulda got a better one cheaper. I looked for a used fat bike for 3 months, found nothing I wanted to buy in my price range!

mtbr member

Thoughts on this thing?

Found this while surfing the 'bay. I have no idea what to think about this thing, other than I didn't know there was a market for a full sus folding fat bike. I would love to read others' take on this, but didn't want to create a new thread. I almost posted in the craigslist wtf thread...Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  51.6 KB
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It is one of many that i call simili fat, the tires say fat but the transmission says shit, they are IMHO novelties and a LBS should not offer them. For safety i would not try one. I prefer used over shitty quality, just my view.

mtbr member
    Just so my position is clearly understood, I agree with everything you typed but I still think you weren't harsh enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I disagree. You can find very good deals for new fatties if you know where, and most importantly, WHAT to look for. I, for one, have scored a few very good deals at bikeisland.com. They use a lot of "euphemisms" and misdirection no to hurt the presence of their "mother" site, the infamous BD, but I can say from experience it's a lot of malarkey. Their bikes are cosmetically flawless. No dings nor scratches anywhere or whatsoever.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Found this while surfing the 'bay. I have no idea what to think about this thing, other than I didn't know there was a market for a full sus folding fat bike. I would love to read others' take on this, but didn't want to create a new thread. I almost posted in the craigslist wtf thread...Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  51.6 KB
    I guess the question is does it cost less than $1,000?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I guess the question is does it cost less than $1,000?
    That pic is from an auction listing, starting bid was 513. I've seen some other listings where the price was just over 6. They come in blue, green, gold, etc...

mtbr member
    MCHB,
    I know those come stock with the Bulldozers. I am rocking the Dozers on the BEM LTD. Maiden voyage was today. It is a blast. floats over deep sand like nothing. i am 230 and had the psi at 8R 7F. Tomorrow I will be hitting some local single track and have my Strava up and running. I will be posting it up. Cant wait to see how these tires run on singletrack. I have read some really good reviews on them. Snow/sand/packed dirt and loose gravel. So far sand is a win. I will keep you posted. Plus I love the Gravity BEM LTD. I rode a Walgoose(Malus) for a year and loved it. I would recommend it. But comes a time in every fatboys/girls life to upgrade. After one ride on this thing I feel like I have been missing out on something. It shreds out of the box. Cant wait to go tubeless. It didnt even make it to the road until new pedals, a shorter stem and the dozers were on it. Oh and i had to shave down the seat post about an inch. Cant wait til tomorrow.
    Last edited by a1pathfinder67; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:38 PM. Reason: forgot name

mtbr member
    Colorado
    Nice set up dude. Awesome bike and awesome video too.

mtbr member
    Dave
    my $0.02

As much as I personally like the guys at my LBS, I find that for what I save in bike purchases via ebay or OLBS, I can afford the necessary tools to do any work that needs to be performed on my bikes. Pretty much anything that can be done at a shop is well within the realm of the average shade tree mechanic. It's definitely not rocket science. And if it's something a little out of the ordinary, there's probably instructional information on the web somewhere.....not to mention the simple satisfaction of doing something right and on your own.

Also, I live an hour from my nearest shop and odds are they'd need to order any parts that are required. So, when I can get what I need to get going delivered to my door within a couple of days, it doesn't make a lot of sense to make a special trip out of town and to sacrifice my riding for shop time. I value my time as much as I do my money.

mtbr member
    Some decent deals on aventuron.com

DB El Oso Grande $950 and El Oso de Acero $543.99

mtbr member
    Dave
    Saw a reply to this post and figured I'd weigh in since I'm in the TC area and frequent a few LBSs but do most of my own wrenching.

We all find our own balance to supporting our LBSs. I use their services when I have something that requires a special tool that is too expensive for me to purchase considering how many times I might use the tool. For example, I would never purchase a Park Tool facer/chaser tool because I have needed it 3 times for 3 bikes when I built them initially. One can also make some tools that are much less expensive than industry standard. For instance a couple nuts, washers and a threaded rod and you have a headset press. I use the LBS as a check against my own wrench work, to view and handle the apparel since I'm picky about shoes and clothing and for good informative conversation. I have not purchased a complete bike from an LBS, I'm not counting the Framed MN that was purchased for me from the House as a Bday gift, since the spring of '03. I think frequenting shops that have a desire to be informative and provide some education to the riders as a part of their mission statement helps. If you go to stores that would rather not talk to you but have you fill out a form for repair services stop going. I find that Freewheel and The Hub are my go to LBSs. I especially like the Hub on Minnehaha for their used section and the small DIY room. The people at Freewheel have always been informative and helpful as well. Both shops have educational classes to help bikers learn how to work on their own bikes. So, what's the answer.... there is no right or wrong and no one answer for everyone. It is important to support our LBSs, but you have to find the balance that works for you and your checkbook.

mtbr member
    Longhaulbiker,
    Just so you know. I had a freewheel on my walgoose and upgraded to a shimano megarange for about $17. That was including the freewheel tool I picked up from my LBS. The megarange 7 speed had the granny gear 34t. Made a world of difference and once you tweak the derailleur just right it was a smooth transition to the big gear. Not difficult to do either. Youtube. Toughest part is getting the freewheel off. Requires a lot of torque. But I am far from a gear head and its very doable. Here is Bullseye Monster LTD stock version, aside from shorter stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-cedar-creek-hill-1.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-cedar-creek-hill-3.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-cedar-creek-hill-4.jpg  

Last edited by pathfinder67; 1 Week Ago at 05:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Are there any "modern" geometry budget fat bikes? It seems like most of them still have 460-470mm chainstays, I'm thinking about something a little more nimble, but under $1000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Are there any "modern" geometry budget fat bikes? It seems like most of them still have 460-470mm chainstays, I'm thinking about something a little more nimble, but under $1000.
    Hi seat_boy, i sugggest you look for a used FatBoy by Specialized. From memory the chainstay is 455 or 450 and it comes with 90mm rims, a decent transmission, and tires good enough to use in snow. Most new fat under 1,000 you will feel the need to invest in upgrades. Around here(Montreal) it has been popular the last 4 years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Motobecane lurch 447

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345