Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Give'er!
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post

As basic as she is, I'm loving my '16 Rocky mountain blizzard 10
    I have the same bike (though you got yours at a better sale price than I did!) I only have three rides on it on account of having a few teeth pulled shortly after I got it and then the weather going all melty/rainy, but the rides I did get on it were awesome! Really hoping the weather either melts everything or drops below freezing and snows so I can get back out again.

mtbr member

Fatbikes under $1000 bucks

Well let me add the Raleigh pardner. Steel frame, 4" tires, neon green, bolt on wheels. 9 speed shimano alivio drive train. Triple front crank.

Having had a chance to ride and play with this bike my initial reactions are good. I took the time to properly lube the joy tech hubs, and with them lubed and adjusted the spin very nicely. I did add a adjustable stem on because I need to be up a bit more.
    Also I tend to replace all cable hanger clips with zip ties.
    I wanted steel, it's a nice bike for steel in my honest opinion. Seeing these for about 799.00. If you are fire/ems you can get it cheaper. I got mine for 540.00 shipped. Pm me and I'll tell ya how.
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Sasquatch
    I've been riding a Motobecane Sturgis NX since October 2016. I weigh 270 lbs and have been riding the thing hard. BMX jumps, Moutain bike jumps, hitting the skate/bike park with my son, all kinds of trails, rock crawling, trials riding, you name it. The only issue I've had is the Novatec rear hub. It would pop and slip sometimes under power. Well and I broke the stock KMC chain, but I think that was due to it getting sucked into the wheel once.
    So far it seems to be an excellent bike.
    The only mods I've done is to put better brake pads on, and change the stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I bought this Fuji Wendigo 1.1 aluminum last fall and rode it all winter in SW N. Dakota. Coldest weather I've ridden it in was -10f with a -30 wind chill (twice). -30 with wind chill is my self-imposed limit. Anything colder than that and I'm on the spin bike in the basement.

I was torn between medium and large when I bought this because some of the standover issues it seems a fat bike can have (I normally ride a large full susp., which suits me well). I went with the medium and it was a little tight before I added a Ritchey 20mm set back post with saddle slid back and wider with only 4 degree sweep Spank Oozy bars (stock were 9 degrees) -- and now the bike fits me close to how my large full sus does. Also ditched stock seat for a WTB, which I do with ANY new bike I get. Have also added mud shovel fenders. May upgrade wheels/tires at some point just to cut some rotating weight, though I must say I actually like the Bulldozer tires quite a bit for all around riding.

Bike retailed for $1350 but got it for $995 on sale and using some performance points I had built up. Not the fanciest bike in the world, but has been a great intro to fat biking. I think it has really nice spec for the price, even at full retail, with XT rear, Deore shifters, X7 front, salsa hubs etc. I guess the places Fuji cheaped out were the Samox crank (though it's been fine so far), and my biggest complaint, the Tektro hydro brakes. I replaced the front rotor with a Shimano RT66 (not shown in pics) as I couldn't adjust or get the stock front rotor to run quiet or true to save my life.

I am now hooked on fat, am lusting after a Bucksaw carbon or Farley 9.8 EX. Fat is definitely where it's at!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_0911-2-.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fullsizerender-32-.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fuji-harmon-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    A semi off-topic question: thru all these is there a top 3 under 1k? I've got my eye on the mongoose just because I'm liking the pricepoint... thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman13 View Post
    A semi off-topic question: thru all these is there a top 3 under 1k? I've got my eye on the mongoose just because I'm liking the pricepoint... thanks
    I'm not sure if there are any rankings for the under $1k fatties; best advice I can offer is read the forums and form your own opinions. This thread is unfortunately pretty dead if you hadn't already noticed...

oh my TVC 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    So? What do you think LBS pay for their Dealership and Bikes? The LBS make enough money to stay in business, pay rent, insurance, take home paychecks for how many people? And everything else.
    Pretty much guarantee that most bike shops send more of your money to Uncle Sam than they pocket.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Evo Big Ridge 7.0, under $850CAD or $645USD (walmart carries them). Alloy frame and alloy fork, 100mm drilled rims, 135/190 spacing with a solid locknut rear axle, 1x8 but the freehub is a standard shimano body so you can easily 1x11 it by just changing the shifter, chain, derailleur and cassette. Square taper BB/crank. Tires are a Chao Yang wire-bead OEM version of their Big Daddy tread in a 26 x 4.0 but the frame & fork has clearance for Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8s.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member

Evo Big Ridge 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    135/190 spacing with a solid locknut rear axle
    evo websites specs 10x190 - should be QR?

(walmart carries them)

Appears to be out of stock there, but Niagara Cycle lists it: https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...icycle-black-l

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    LL Bean sells a Reid for about $850.
    Last edited by J_Ghost; 08-19-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Evo Big Ridge is a solid 10mm threaded rear axle with nuts, not a Quick release or thru-shaft.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Northrock XX00

This is the Northrock XX00 which was sold through certain Costco stores. I bought one, knowing it was an entry level bike. I plan to use it mostly in the winter, pulling my kids around in their sled and that sort of thing, so I didn't mind it wasn't a pro level ride.

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_20170721_1931268_rewind.jpg

The biggest weakness is the crank which has a 36 tooth sprocket.
    It also has a thread on freewheel, 14-28, 7-speed. At least you get a cartridge bottom bracket, square taper of course. There are quick releases on front and back.

The bike felt medium in weight, but I didn't weigh it. A fair guess is 35 lbs. It is an aluminum frame. The rims look like the same ones used on other inexpensive fatties.

When I was deciding whether to buy it or not, the decision was yes if I could use it as is, and no if I had to immediately upgrade something. I figured the gearing was lousy, but since I used to ride a single-speed mountain bike, I could just ride in 1st gear all the time.

Everything else looked like it would work for me, a middle-age rider who has broken enough bones for one lifetime, and isn't going to race or jump the thing anytime soon.

After owning the bike, I threw on a crank I already had (not pictured), which is 22-32-42, 170mm arms. I don't plan any other changes. Mine was $269, marked off 10 percent for being the floor model.

Since the crank is square taper you can always swap it to a different one with a different bolt pattern, possibly even fit a double with a front derailleur and front shifter.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345