Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    They are pretty huge! Almost rediculous! The response from the neighbors is "What the hell is that!!!". I think I love the darn thing. I have a question though. Looking at wide range cassettes and came across this thing. It is a 9spd that has a 42t added to it. What do you know about it. I have been looking at some x9 componets and saw this. And what about the sunrace cassettes anyone have one? Are they worth a darn? Feel like I am going to be riding this bike for a while so I need to add a gear for climbing. Guess I need to research what i can do to make this thing mine. any advuce would be appreaciated.

Dave that's a good deal on the cooker. Good luck with it.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fatbike.jpg

My Cooker came in on Saturday, and I was able to get it built up that night. Haven't had a chance to get out and rip around on it yet though. Should be able to Wednesday for a bit in the morning.

Based on the condition (eBay find) I am beyond happy with the pricing, I think I came out pretty well on this one. It was relisted a few times, and has a replacement fork on it. Seller stated it was a floor model and the fork was damaged.

Everything else is pretty much MINT.

$500 was a steal.

36.6 lbs as pictured.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Just resurrected a old forum membership I had forgotten about, to join an active fat bike community with my 6-week old Voodoo Wazoo. At £395 new, I think it qualifies for less than $1000.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Any good deals out there currently on frames only? Looking to slowly build my first fat bike on a budget.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    Any good deals out there currently on frames only? Looking to slowly build my first fat bike on a budget.

Thanks
    Check the Great Deal thread:

Fat bike great deal thread

I posted earlier about 9Zero7 had frame and forks for $450 USD in purple.

Pro Deal Purple Frameset Special (Color-Matched Fork Included) - Fatbikes
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post

Thanks
    I think the On One's fatty and fatty trails are on sale right now too. Hard to beat the 907 deal though if that's what you want. Otherwise, take a look at your CL offerings. I've seen a number of options posted since it's the end of the fat season for some.

On-One Fatty Trail | On - One
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    My re commendation , for what it's worth. . Get a frame and fork that is at least big enough to fit Bud+Lou s . If your on a budget atm you can go with a basic wheel set to save $$$ .
    But if later on you find you REALLY WANT to run 4.8" tires, but your frame will only take 4.3" . Well, you get the idea.

mtbr member
    That 9zero7 frame and fork are a very good deal imho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The Framed Alaskan is $500 from The House, and will take 4.8" tires (upsized for 2016 model), but I think that was without fork. The Motobecane sturgis, which is a few oz lighter and will also take 5" tires is $700 with Bluto from Bikes Direct, if I recall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    The Framed Alaskan is $500 from The House, and will take 4.8" tires (upsized for 2016 model), but I think that was without fork. The Motobecane sturgis, which is a few oz lighter and will also take 5" tires is $700 with Bluto from Bikes Direct, if I recall.
    That's for the alloy version.

BTW Averbucks, what's the budget?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    That's for the alloy version.

BTW Averbucks, what's the budget?
    Im looking for a thru axle frame in alloy under $700

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just ordered the Charge Cooker Maxi 2 Fat Bike for 699 from price point... I am pretty happy as it seems like a nice bike and a good deal.
    Got the L at 6'1'', hope it is the right size...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    g_5706@,

Don't worry, at 6'1" that Cooker Maxi 2 will fit you perfect. You may end up getting riser bars, but that is standard procedure for any bike, that you'll have to make some adjustments.

Don't be discourage if you think the bike is heavy. I have a Surly Wednesday and it is about the same weight, that's just the nature of steel fat bikes. They make up for the weight with how much fun they are to ride.

You got the best $700 bike you will ever own.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks Sandman!
    I am not concerned about the weight at all. I ride a steel road bike with fenders and a steel 650B hardtail. The way I see it, the heavier the bike, the more exercise I get.

Why do you recommend riser bars? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    g_5706@,

I only recommend risers if you need them. I like to have make handlebars about the same height as my saddle. I am about 6'2"ish. So, it seems like every bike I buy, in order to get my handlebars to the height I like, I end up using riser bars even with using a lot of steertube spacers.

But everyone is different. At 6'1" this bike might fit you perfectly with the standard height handlebars.

Note, even though I like my handlebars about the same height as the top of my saddle, I usually end up putting the handlebars slightly lower.

I use to ride lower handlebar height and longer stem, and then I though that flying over the handlebars all the time was just part of the sport.

To stop from flying over the handlebars a person could: A.) become a more skilled rider, or B.) Shorten the stem, raise the handle bars, and/or get a setback seat post.

I guess I have choosen the easy way out by doing option "B".

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    To OP... Don't discount the K2 sideshow. Hydraulic brakes, SRAM x5/x7. Little heavy but nice ride. On sale for $799. My $.02.

Interplanetary Traveler
    Keep your eyes on your local craigslist.

I paid $760 last night for a new Surly Pugsley at a local bike shop who was looking to make some room by quickly moving some inventory.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/bik/5604404129.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What ever you guys do don't get the walamart one. Its no good, I owned one for a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    I want a fat bike now lol the problem is I just bought a new bike so I wouldn't be buying right now... But I thought it never hurt to ask what is a good fatbike? I was look at the Charge Cooker Maxi but idk if it's good. Again not buying soon just wanted to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Good fatbike =
    BUCKSAW CARBON X01 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Good fatbike for under $1k,
    Charge cooker,
    bikesdirect
    Minnessota
    mongoose off Nashbar
    Plenthora of fatbikesl isted throughout this thread.

There will always be sacrifices at the sub $1k pricepont. What are you most interested in keeping, and what do you not care about?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Good fatbike =
    BUCKSAW CARBON X01 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Good fatbike for under $1k,
    Charge cooker,
    bikesdirect
    Minnessota
    mongoose off Nashbar
    Plenthora of fatbikesl isted throughout this thread.

There will always be sacrifices at the sub $1k pricepont. What are you most interested in keeping, and what do you not care about?
    To be honest I don't know I'm new to MTB and know nothing about fat bikes! What would you recommend?

mtbr member
    How much do you want to spend? Good bikes can be had down in the $400-500 range, and better bikes can be had for $1k.

What do you plan on riding? Beach, gravel hills, rocky and rooty trails, winter fatbiking, 1,000 mile bikepacking trip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    How much do you want to spend? Good bikes can be had down in the $400-500 range, and better bikes can be had for $1k.

What do you plan on riding? Beach, gravel hills, rocky and rooty trails, winter fatbiking, 1,000 mile bikepacking trip?
    The cheaper the better. Mostly just some trails and some winter riding and a few hills but I just want to ride it and have fun.

mtbr member
    Mongoose Argus when nashbar does a 20% off. They do them randomly, so keep checking back daily. It's not an amazing bike, but it's a good bike with reliable build for a really low price. It also comes with the kenda juggernaut tires, which is a common upgrade a lot of people do to the other cheap fatbikes. One less upgrade, so the final cost is even less.

Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This is my first post, so please excuse my noobish question. I'm going to be buying a Fat Tire bike in the next week or two and I had been eyeing the Boris X9 for $799. That Argus looks like it's on par or maybe even better than the X9. Especially at the $529 price point. Which bike would you recommend?

mtbr member
    The boris x9 is beget, but for the price, it should be. More on line with the boris x5. Good, but not great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bflaker View Post
    That Argus looks like it's on par or maybe even better than the X9. Especially at the $529 price point.

Today is the Nashbar discount day, so the Argus is $473.99 shipped (discount shows up in cart).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-mg-args-ncl-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
    Today is the Nashbar discount day, so the Argus is $473.99 shipped (discount shows up in cart).
    Buy it, buy it now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It's coming up as $488.98 shipped for me. I'm on the East Coast. I'm really torn now. Pay almost double for the X9, or buy the Mongoose. Decisions.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It's coming up as $488.98 shipped for me. I'm on the East Coast. I'm really torn now. Pay almost double for the X9, or buy the Mongoose. Decisions.....
    Buy 2 of the Mongi

One for you, and one for your buddies who will no doubt want to ride it as soon as they see it.

I might order that Argus tonight, just as a spare bike.

Specs/price can't be beat for that sale.

mtbr member
    The Boris X5 ,is a good first fatbike. Much better than all the Mongeese I've seen. My wife has been riding her's for a year now and she still really likes it. No, It's not a 1,300$ or more bike. But. I can't see the advantage of spending more for a first fatty unless your already a real avid cyclist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Check the Great Deal thread:

Fat bike great deal thread

I posted earlier about 9Zero7 had frame and forks for $450 USD in purple.

Pro Deal Purple Frameset Special (Color-Matched Fork Included) - Fatbikes
    For a build. This is a very good deal imho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    The Boris X5 ,is a good first fatbike. Much better than all the Mongeese I've seen.
    For clarification, the Mongoose Argus is in no way related to the wally world fatbikes. It's closer to the motobecane boris x7 or the minnesotta 2.0 fatbike. It actually is a pretty good fatbike for the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I went ahead and ordered the Argus. I'll post pics in the pic thread once it gets here.

mtbr member
    Ok, good to know. !!

mtbr member
    Do you know how much it would be to ship the Nashbar Argus to Canada (Saskatchewan)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallzy4Life View Post
    Do you know how much it would be to ship the Nashbar Argus to Canada (Saskatchewan)?

Just add it to your cart, then in the address section you choose US or Canada.

All other countries have a drop down menu.

mtbr member
    Just add it to your cart, then in the address section you choose US or Canada.

All other countries have a drop down menu.
    I did that and unfortunately it won't ship to Canada... So I guess no Argus for me :/

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallzy4Life View Post
    I did that and unfortunately it won't ship to Canada... So I guess no Argus for me :/
    Do you have the Performance Cycle chain of stores in Canada?

Nashbar is part of that company, so maybe you have to go directly to the store?

(or just go totally old school and call them on the phone. They are super nice anytime I've called).

mtbr member
    Do you have the Performance Cycle chain of stores in Canada?

Nashbar is part of that company, so maybe you have to go directly to the store?

(or just go totally old school and call them on the phone. They are super nice anytime I've called).
    After a quick Google search I couldn't find any.... But I will give them a call and see what turns up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I went ahead and ordered the Argus. I'll post pics in the pic thread once it gets here.
    I ordered an Argus as a secondary bike, too.

For $473 it's a bargain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Today is 25% off Nashbar day, so the Argus is only $449.99 shipped!

(if you ordered last week, call Nashbar customer service at 1-877-688-8600 Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET, and they will credit you the difference.)

Mongoose Argus Sport Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yea, I saw that. Even better! They still haven't shipped it out though. Been 3 business days now.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Got the partial refund and the bike showed up today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post

^^^This, mine is on the way. Easily the best bang for the buck out there. All it needs is brakes and a few small things

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    How often does Nashbar offer discount days? I am interested in getting one of the Mongooses as my first fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by afteamroper View Post
    How often does Nashbar offer discount days? I am interested in getting one of the Mongooses as my first fat bike.
    Seems like at least once or twice per month. Sign up for their mailing list to get the updates quickly. Be warned, they send out mailings frequently, but that is the best way to see the 20%+ sales.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Seems like at least once or twice per month. Sign up for their mailing list to get the updates quickly. Be warned, they send out mailings frequently, but that is the best way to see the 20%+ sales.
    Copy thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    25% day at Nashbar, through tomorrow (the 24th). Looks like I'm upgrading my Malus to an Argus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Mongoose Argus?

Hello all, new member here with my first mountain bike/fat bike. I picked up a Mongoose Argus on amazon for $471 last week and was wondering if it's a decent bike. I called up a friend of mine who is a roadie to check it out and he wasn't impressed with it. I think that may have something to do with it being a mongoose because he said I should know better than to buy a bike from wally world. I though it had decent components on it for the price but I don't really know about these things. It is the 2015 model with the deore components and tektro hydraulic brakes. Dig i get hosed or is this a decent bike for the price?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-unnamed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Jd10ac,

That is a great bike to start mountain biking on. Tekro Brakes will stop you just fine, and if your Deore derailleur is tuned it will shift as good as any shifters on the market. If it's not shifting smoothly, just take it to your local bike shop and have them tune the gears. You usually have to have this done twice near the beginning of owning a bike. Once to set the bike up, and then later the cables start to stretch and you need to have it done again.

You may need to make some changes on your bike just for the right fit, like swapping out the stem for a shorter or longer one. And I would recommend getting a good pressure guage to measure your air pressure. You want more air pressure if you are riding on the road/urban (maybe 15 PSI), than in the woods which might be half that pressure. You can get a great tire pressure guage, Meiser ACCUGAGE for around $13 on amazon. If you have presta valves, they make a great low pressure gauge for fat bikes which goes up to 15PSI.

You should have a blast on this bike, I think you did well. Just remember it will take some experiment with air pressure, you may have to have the gears and brakes tuned by a local mechanic at a bike shop near by, and you may need to get a new stem in order to get the bike to fit you perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    Jd10ac,

That is a great bike to start mountain biking on. Tekro Brakes will stop you just fine, and if your Deore derailleur is tuned it will shift as good as any shifters on the market. If it's not shifting smoothly, just take it to your local bike shop and have them tune the gears. You usually have to have this done twice near the beginning of owning a bike. Once to set the bike up, and then later the cables start to stretch and you need to have it done again.

You may need to make some changes on your bike just for the right fit, like swapping out the stem for a shorter or longer one. And I would recommend getting a good pressure guage to measure your air pressure. You want more air pressure if you are riding on the road/urban (maybe 15 PSI), than in the woods which might be half that pressure. You can get a great tire pressure guage, Meiser ACCUGAGE for around $13 on amazon. If you have presta valves, they make a great low pressure gauge for fat bikes which goes up to 15PSI.

You should have a blast on this bike, I think you did well. Just remember it will take some experiment with air pressure, you may have to have the gears and brakes tuned by a local mechanic at a bike shop near by, and you may need to get a new stem in order to get the bike to fit you perfectly.
    Thanks for they reply Sandman, I am pretty new to this and am just looking to get out of the house and get a little healthier. I figured being a big guy 6ft 250lbs the fat bike would hold up to my weight better than a regular bike, plus I got to be honest I just think they look super cool. I thought the Deore stuff was decent, I know my buddy can be a little pompous if it isn't the best most high end stuff out there and I just can't afford that. My friend used to work for a bike shop so he helped me assemble it and get it fit fairly close, I'm going to ride it a little and take it to the LBS to have them go through it after it has a few miles on it and settles in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Jd10ac,

Your friend, who is a roadie, probably doesn't understand that Fat bikes are just pure fun. People who don't own a Fat Bike see them as heavy and slow, but when you ride them they are just so much fun.

I have 2 fat bikes, Surly Wednesdays, one for me and one I loan out to friends. On Thursday I took a buddy of mine out on the Fat Bikes just cruising downtown Tampa. He is not a real biker, but he loved riding around on the Fat Bike. Now, he wants me to take him out to the woods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hello MTBR world!

I am itching to get my feet wet into fat biking.

I live on Long Island and ride primarily single track. My current bike is a Trek 8000 series from 2009. It's an outdated 26" tire hardtail which needs some major servicing (rear brake is seized and needs to be rebuilt/replaced) needs new tires, cassette, chain, and a major tune up.

It's treated me well over the past 6 seasons, but I want to try something new.

My LBS has great end of season deals on 2016 Specialized Fatboys (20-25% off MSRP) but with tax I would still need to spend ~$1600-1700 on this bike.

I have recently started doing research on the Mongoose Argus. Finding it on Nashbar for ~$500 shipped to my door......the deal is tempting.

My question boils down to, is the Fatboy worth the extra $1000 long term? I plan on riding this thing for many years to come. I know the Spec has better components, is ~5lbs lighter, and has wider tires and wider dropout.

I do plan on riding on snow, here on Long Island sometimes it snows and doesn't melt for 2-3 months at a time.

I also plan on riding on sand, we are on a huge island with hundreds of miles of public beach.

Will 4.6" vs 4.0" tires make a significant difference?

What would you do given the information provided.

I can afford either bike, the question is, is the Fatboy worth the extra $$?

If storage wasn't an issue (I live in 1 bedroom apt) than I would buy the Argus and then the Fatboy once I fall in love with fat biking, keep the Argus as backup/friend loaner. But don't have the space for that.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazed View Post
    A Juggernaut 4.5 Pro is usefully better on beach sand than the 4.0 Sport on the front of my Argus Sport. Better traction, more resilient and less bogging down.

mtbr member
    duplicate

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ok, I need a fatbike (with front suspension)

• Framed Minnesota?
    • Framed Alaskan?
    • Motobecane Lurch?
    • Motobecane Boris
    • or I can get a Reid Hercules new at work for about $650, but then I would need to invest in a fork. Also, the tire nubs look shallow.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveMaine View Post
    Ok, I need a fatbike (with front suspension)
    • Framed Minnesota?
    • Framed Alaskan?
    • Motobecane Lurch?
    • Motobecane Boris
    • or I can get a Reid Hercules new at work for about $650, but then I would need to invest in a fork. Also, the tire nubs look shallow.

Any suggestions?
    Any of those bikes with Bluto forks are probably over the $1000 limit of this thread.

But all would be decent choices.

Right now, I believe the closest aluminum fatbike to $1000 with Bluto forks, hydraulic Brakes, thru-axles and 4.5" tires is the Mongoose Argus Expert at $1199 shipped - from Nashbar.

It goes on sale about every other week, only buy it during the 25% off Nashbar days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Just came across this bike:
    https://moosebicycle.com/us/bicycles...-fat-bike.html

Looks very interesting - I would buy, but it's too small for me.

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-fat-bike-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat-bike-image.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1096076
    Handsome looking bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Would any of those 1000$ bikes handle really cold temperature well? (-40F)
    I was looking at SE F@R and El Oso Grande Fat Mountain which are right around 1000$.
    Any experience/advice welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat-bike-image.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1096076
    Nice looking ride. I went with the argus sport.
    Stop making me think, I'm busy believing over here

​2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone know when the 2017 Mongoose Argus Expert is going to hit the market?

It's currently shown on the international Mongoose sites, but not the US version:
    Mongoose | Argus Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just found this deal on Amazon. The Small is half the price of the Large for some reason, but I'm sure this will fit someone well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Diamondback...DER&th=1&psc=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

It's currently shown on the international Mongoose sites, but not the US version:
    Mongoose | Argus Expert
    If you go to the "Argus, Fatbike for the Masses" thread, on the next to last page there is a Amazon link to 2017's that they are selling.

I definitely need to learn to link threads................
    Stop making me think, I'm busy believing over here

​2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by knarrly View Post
    If you go to the "Argus, Fatbike for the Masses" thread, on the next to last page there is a Amazon link to 2017's that they are selling.

I definitely need to learn to link threads................
    Thanks for the link. So, it looks like the Argus does not come in an XL, which is a bit of a disappointment.

As for linking to other posts, see the #366 in the upper right of your post? You can either right click on it and "copy link address" or click it and copy it out of the browser address bar. Ta da!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So, it looks like the Argus does not come in an XL, which is a bit of a disappointment.
    The 2016 large Argus Expert is a very big bike.

Where Seat Tube meets Top Tube: 30.25"

Where balls hit Top Tube if you slip from seat: 31.5"

Where Top Tube meets Head Tube: 38.25"

Make sure you will clear that top tube in an emergency.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Mongoose | Argus Expert
    I love the glossy paint logo over the flat black on this bike!

Here it is for sale on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Argu...ose+argus+bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The 2016 large Argus Expert is a very big bike.

Where Seat Tube meets Top Tube: 30.25"

Where balls hit Top Tube if you slip from seat: 31.5"

Where Top Tube meets Head Tube: 38.25"

Make sure you will clear that top tube in an emergency.

I'm 6'4"ish+ with a 34-35" inseam. Sounds like it might work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm 6'4"ish+ with a 34-35" inseam. Sounds like it might work?
    With a 34" inseam, sounds like you would easily have the recommended 2" clearance over the top tube .

Got to keep your balls safe!

(this is for the 2016 Argus, I have not measured the 2017. So if you get the 2017, please post the measurements )

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm 6'2" with a 33-34" inseam. My large fits pretty well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap fat bike out there that will either come with 4.8+ inch tyres or at least allow them? It seems most of the cheap bikes are limited to 4.

I know I can get cheap frames that accommodate what I need but I don't want to build it myself.

I'm in the UK if it helps?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here ya go. Sorry its not exactly under 1k but I figure 1.1k is ok

I would just check to see if they ship to the UK.

Free Ship 48 Plus Save up to 60% off new MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Sturgis NX MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Wheel Fatbikes

Edit: Looks like it will be hard to get it to the UK

Bikesdirect.com Frequently Asked Questions about Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here is one but don't know the size or if they have all sizes. One to search for though. Should be able to find it for around 1k. This one is $850

New Bike Diamondback Bicycles El Oso Grande Fat Mountain Bike | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alouest View Post
    Would any of those 1000$ bikes handle really cold temperature well? (-40F)
    I was looking at SE F@R and El Oso Grande Fat Mountain which are right around 1000$.
    Any experience/advice welcome!
    Go for the Grande. I bought mine and have loved every second of it. You might want to upgrade the stock chaoyang tires to some vee bulldozers for summer and a snowshoe XL for winter, But that is really a personal choice. The stock 95mm rims are great and the overall frame construction is super strong.
    I see that your post is a few weeks old so I hope I am not to late.

-Ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad
    Edit: Looks like it will be hard to get it to the UK
    Indeed. Thanks for your efforts but both bikes you mention can't be sent over here for various reasons. There are lots of good deals in the US but I think the very nature of how large & heavy these bikes are makes it difficult to keep the savings internationally.

I'll keep looking.

My total budget is somewhere around £1500 GBP but I want to leave around £5-600 for a stages power meter if possible so it's a tough call.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry about that. At the bottom it said they were shipping internationally. I guess not for the bike

Quote Originally Posted by James Bass View Post
    Indeed. Thanks for your efforts but both bikes you mention can't be sent over here for various reasons. There are lots of good deals in the US but I think the very nature of how large & heavy these bikes are makes it difficult to keep the savings internationally.

I'll keep looking.

My total budget is somewhere around £1500 GBP but I want to leave around £5-600 for a stages power meter if possible so it's a tough call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I'll keep looking.

If you are in the UK, there is always planet X. On-One Fatty Trail SRAM NX1 Fat Bike | Planet X
    I have no idea about the quality, but it is in your price range and local(ish).

-Ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Benskoning View Post
    If you are in the UK, there is always planet X.
    I'm 99% sure they wont take 5 inches unfortunately. A pal of mine emailed them this morning to ask though because he's looking at fat bikes too. I'll let you know if they get back to him.

Planet X and On-One bikes are generally very good though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    My buddy got me interested in a fat bike. $600-$800 range would be ideal. I'm wanting one with a 1x or maybe a 2x up front. My list so far includes:

Norco Bigfoot 6.3 for $899
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard -10 for $999 - LBS only had a med...stand-over is too tall
    Charge Cooker Maxi 1 for $999 - LBS only had a med...stand-over also too tall

I'm leaning towards the Norco but my LBS doesn't have any in stock. To get one in I have to pay for it upfront. I'm thinking I'll need a small but Norcos have a really low top tube. It would be nice to ride it before I buy it though
    Last edited by smokersteve; 10-14-2016 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Was looking for a 5" with max price tag of $1000. The Motobecane Sturgis NX was just over that but no tax or shipping justified it. Been on it for a few months now and love it. Switched out tubes, post and saddle and good to go. Great components for the coin. IF Kinesis frames are good enough for Trek, that's good enough for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Handsome looking bike!
    Good Day,

I am Etienne D. GM @ Moose Bicycle. We three former mountain biking racers based out of Montreal, Quebec. If you have any questions regarding our bike or us, feel free to ask.

Our yellow and black model is our 2016 model. Our 2017 features a charcoal and matte black design.

Warm regards,

mtbr member
    Could anyone recommend which of the under $1,000 fat bikes would be best suited for riding in snow? With the cost of new tires I'd assume it would be more cost effective to buy a bike with the appropriate tires already spec'd. Unless that isn't an option like that and new tires need to be added to the budget.

mtbr member
    ^ Do you mean to ask which sub 1K bike has 5in tires and 190/197 rear hub?

10 years ago the Pugsley came out with 3.8s, that's been fine for lots of folks but the newer stuff is going to 5in. I'm fine with 4in so far, but I do admit that I'll need to flatten an area of trail to get going after a fresh snow fall. I think geo will play into if as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ^ Do you mean to ask which sub 1K bike has 5in tires and 190/197 rear hub?

10 years ago the Pugsley came out with 3.8s, that's been fine for lots of folks but the newer stuff is going to 5in. I'm fine with 4in so far, but I do admit that I'll need to flatten an area of trail to get going after a fresh snow fall. I think geo will play into if as well.
    Maybe? Completely new to the fat tires but have been reading up. Basically what I'm seeing is that more of the Bikes Direct offerings will need new tires if you want to play in the snow. Wondering if there are options in the budget that won't need much upgrading to be alright this winter season (New England).

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    Maybe? Completely new to the fat tires but have been reading up. Basically what I'm seeing is that more of the Bikes Direct offerings will need new tires if you want to play in the snow. Wondering if there are options in the budget that won't need much upgrading to be alright this winter season (New England).
    Actually, the 4.8" minions coming on the ~$1000 bikes direct sturgis are probably some of the better gripping/width snow tires you'll find in that price range. You want studs for ice, but there are plenty of threads/opinions on tires based on conditions, etc. I believe you can have The House put one of a variety of tires on any of the Framed bikes ordered, though some may add a bit of cost. Your best bet is probably to get a bike you like based on other factors, then buy the specific tires you want for your riding conditions separately. You can always sell the new take-offs on ebay or craigslist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    Basically what I'm seeing is that more of the Bikes Direct offerings will need new tires if you want to play in the snow.
    Some of that is because their choosen tires are usually just not good for snow. I have the boris with 4" vee missions. They work in the snow and they are fun, but a 4.5" snowshoe is called a snowshoe for a reason. Ultimately, anything you ride in the snow will slip and slide. some worse than others. A guy a ride with was having all sorts of fun on some 1.9" tires, but he did fall more often.

The gravity bullseye monster LTD is acceptable with 4.25" hillbillie tires. They're not 5", but not bad. I'd be hard pressed to buy it over the standard bullseye monster and put the extra $100 towards some better tires of my choice.

mtbr member

Just got my 2016 Rocky mountain blizzard - 10 for under a grand after tax on sale (cdn).

Will update after Sunday when I test her on the trails. From what I researched though, the rims, tires and rear hub are beast. I'm concerned for 9mm qr on the front tho. Time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by d4nt3ch; 11-12-2016 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi all, this seems like the appropriate thread.

I needed a bike that could be my 'grocery getter', as I was sick of contemplating the short trip to the shops on my expensive carbon FS 29er' so I inquired into the fatbike world. I live near the beach so a cruiser also appealed to me.

I decided on a Progear Domino, as it was about as cheap as I could get for a fatbike (n+1 was a stretch for the significant other.) It came with a 'one size fits all' promise haha. I also read a few posts saying that it was an Avanti Tracker, frame. Sold!

I had a negotiable price deal on ebay and ended up nabbing one for approx AUD$460 from memory. I picked it up from the factory only 15km from home and grew to love the beast. It was a toy bike. And I was proud to own a toy.

The road noise was the first thing I, and everyone else noticed. The second thing was the kickback from the wheels, the contact patch was so large that you really had to fight the bike to keep it on track. I put a lot of that down to it's cheap heavy tires. They were CHAO YANG 26x4.0

I swapped the loopy, cruisey, bars out for a 700mm flat piece and upgraded the brakes to a base level Shimano. It cost about AUD$100 with parts and labor. Bargain, the bike changed completely.

Surprisingly, the bike was geared fantastically. Shimano Alivio was chunky and mechanical and just what the bike needed. A few soft sand rides later revealed that the bike worked well but just didn't have any purchase in the lose stuff. Riding on the seaweed line was magic. It took the idea of bike freedom to a new level.

Fatbikes started to make sense to me and my toy bike didn't seem so much like a toy anymore.

The cleandown was always a pain but I made sure it was done well.

The next major step was drilled rims. They looked heavy and felt heavy. Anyway, a deal came up for tires and I ended up with some Jumbo Jims. I am absolutely blown away with these tires. Grippy, low rolling resistance, light weight, and they made the bike feel like a regular bike. I could dig in the corners without the kickback and the entire bike changed for the better.

All up at this stage, about AUD$760

Anyhow, there's still a lot more to do but the overall point I want to make is that the cost -> fun ratio is ridiculously high on this bike. It seriously rivals my $6K other bike. I've owned the bike for approx 2 years now. It's not at all what I expected and I thank it for taking me to places I didn't expect a toy bike to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Here is my find under $1K
    I got this Dainichi X-7 Bluepoint at al local store here in Japan for $600!Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_4077.jpgFatbikes under 00 bucks-img_4076.jpg

mtbr member
    Solon bicycle in solon ohio (northeast ohio) has 2015 salsa beargrease X5 fat bikes for 999.00 brand new ! quite a few left but medium and large only.one heck of a deal I saw them today 11/15/2016.might be worth the drive for somebody looking for a good quality fat bike at a great deal.

mtbr member

As basic as she is, I'm loving my '16 Rocky mountain blizzard 10

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post

As basic as she is, I'm loving my '16 Rocky mountain blizzard 10
    Basic is beautiful! Easy to maintain and fun to ride. Have fun with your new friend!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another option is the Louis Garneau Gros Louis 3 for $899.99. I think this one stands out from many of the others, so perhaps taking a few for a demo ride might answer the question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    For those taking a look at this thread, I've been doing the same. It seems that right now, the lower priced options are:

-Mongoose Dolomite/Hitch/Malus: I have one, can't set up tubeless, no QR, bad tires and tubes that are a first upgrade. Heavy steel frame. That said, it can be a very cheap intro. ~$250ish

-Mongoose Argus Sport: Decent components for the price (as of now ~$650)

-Bikes Direct Variants: Bullseye/Boris. Decent components and prices ranging from $450 to $999 for a Bluto Boris/Bullseye.

-Framed Minnesota Variants: Much loved on this board for their quality/price. $600-$999 (RST fork).

-SE F@e/F@r/Fuji Wendigo: Decent bike, but I think the Minnesota/Argus bikes have a better price/component set. ~$850

-Diamondback variants: the de Aceroand Gordo ($400-$500) variants seem to be steel. I think the aluminum (Grande) variants are above $1000 and a little overpriced comparatively.

-Alton Mammoth 2.0: Just saw this on Amazon...don't know anything about it, but the frame looks like an SE F@r frame maybe?...Uses an unsealed BB.

Am I missing at the $500-$800ish bracket?

**Edit** to add DB and Alton bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap fat bike out there that will either come with 4.8+ inch tyres or at least allow them? It seems most of the cheap bikes are limited to 4.

I know I can get cheap frames that accommodate what I need but I don't want to build it myself.

I'm in the UK if it helps?
    You might try looking for last years Scott Big Jon. They got good reviews, are well set up or future proofed with thru axles etc (so you can put a bluto on in future) should be around £1100, more or less in your price range. Or else check the Silverback Scoop range, they're from Germany and prices range from about €1100 to €1300 depending on spec and should be available in UK. This years range is also well set up with thru axles, except the cheapest ones. I bought one last year, regrettably the prior models are only QR, so upgrade to a bluto will be a sleep, with a need for new wheel or hub. Otherwise a nice bike.
    Both come stock with 4.7/8 tires, which saves you in the long run

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazed View Post

What would you do given the information provided.

I can afford either bike, the question is, is the Fatboy worth the extra $$?
    Given that you're already into biking etc I would recommend something that is set up with 197 and 150 thru axles so you can add a susp fork in the future if you feel like it/ get into fattys, as most do once they try them. Many cheaper bikes are still set up with QR so upgrading gets very expensive. The likes of the Scott Big Jon are somewhere in the middle of your price range and come with full size JJ tires etc. Not sure but I think many of the BD fattys are similarly set up nowadays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I would imagine £1100 is way over $1000, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll look around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    No probs was reply to James Bass who had that sort of budget. Sorry for jacking the thread. Still think it's worth spending a little more to get components (particularly wheels due to cost) you can use in an upgrade if you know you're an upgrade sort of person. A bluto etc gets spendy if you have to change wheels/ hubs etc

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast