Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Well, in keeping with the under $1,000 theme of this thread.
    I got a Boris yesterday. Found it on Craigslist. Lightly used (125ish) miles with a bunch of extras for $804.00 . That's what I had in my wallet. Its a 15" so it fits my wife perfect and me good enough to ride until I get the bike I want in my size which I found is 17". But, that bike is lots more than 1k$.
    I'm VERY happy to find this bike, at this time. And saved some money
    You may well like the Boris enough to buy another for yourself. I'll be buying a 2nd X9 for myself(Tacoma and Minnesota) and an X7 for my wife in a 13". Totally pleased with the bike for single track and snow. Was having a very hard time trying to figure out if I wanted front suspension, but after having spent the time through the rock and roots, I figured there was no sense in it, especially after riding my full suspension and a new trek 29er full suspension through the same terrain.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Mini Trail; thanks for mentioning the used market. That stuck with me and the day before we went to town I searched Craigslist, Anchorage. The Boris I got was on the first page and as we would be I town in the morning. I contacted the seller. Its the first time in 7 years that everything fell into place. There actually were other fairly good deals on some Pugsleysand a KHS 3000 . But they were all 19" and larger frames. And I feel good about already having a fatty that my wife can comfortably ride.
    Now that I'm more used to it . The Boris doesn't look quite as Bodatious as it did. But when we both first saw it our mouths about dropped open. It looked HUGE compared to what we were used to.
    Thanks again everyone for all the helpful tips and advice.
    Now that I've had my hands on a KHS 3000 with 4.8" Snowshoes on it I have something to gauge the Boris by. So far tho even the Boris is revolutionary in comparison to all our bikes previously ridden. And as I haven't ridden in a long time I don't notice it being slow. Seems to truck right along to me. :-)

mtbr member
    Well, had a Boris in a larger frame size been available around here I would have bought it. But. The ordering and waiting just is too stressful for me.
    So I got a Cogburn CB4 in Realtree Snow Camo finish. Size L/XL. It was almost double the $1K , But it is just perfect for my needs. This winter I'll find out if I need wider tires than the 4.5" wide that the CB4 can run. Atm it has the oem Surly Nate tires on it in non holed Rollin Daryl rims. Which I prefer. One less thing that can potentially go wrong. I got this bike from an lbs and they have a great service plan. I plan on putting white bits on it. Handlebars, grips, stem, seat post and considering white On One Floaters that I will stud, if I find the rubber they r made from will take the cold. The country side around here will get tracked up with snow go tracks through out the winter so there will be no end to the fat bike trails I can ride. And my goal is to have a bike that a coyote can look at but not see. At least not be spooked by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Maybe we were lucky but we bought 2 brand new Mukuks for $1300 each from a local dealer that had leftover stock..

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello Glen, I'm about like you but just a tad older. 61, 250 with a bad left wheel that needs either to be replaced or long term, intense PT. I'll find out in a week.
    Just got into the Fat Bike thing and loving it..hopefully I'll never ride at minus 60 but it does get cool here in Wisconsin.

Best of luck,
    Nick

mtbr member
    Nick; I don't "plan" on riding in that cold a weather. But, you know what can happen to plans :-).
    Which Mukluk did u get? . I'm guessing the 3 . I wanted to try one out but the only color the shop had was plum. So I got the Cogburn instead. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a Muk3 at some point. I'de love to have a Mukluk ( Walrus Hide and Fat) that had room to spare with the 2xl Snowshoes.
    That's not a reality yet so I'm wanting to see what comes out in 2016. 1300$ is a steal of a deal on a Mukluk. Congratulations.
    I just spin along at between 40 and 60 rpm and keep the resistance on the pedals light to moderate and don't over do it. This past weeks arborist work set me back a bit with my left knee. But spinning along on my bike makes it feel a lot better than any otc pain meds does. !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks....yes, I thought that $1300 for a new Muk was a heck of a deal. They are both fun bikes and if I ever get mine back from my 13 year old I'm sure I'll love it even more.

Yup, I know all about plans...looking at cold weather now..as I sit in my AC house while it is 95 outside.

Knee is bad, MRI and maybe knee replacement..

Nick

mtbr member
    Good thing for a kid to work for. Hope he doesn't loose it for u .
    I didn't believe how much a bike would help my knees. . I figured the bike would b way cheaper than doctors . And if they didn't work out I could always pedal
    them. :-) .
    I'm trying to make my parts last as long as I can. Does your wife ride with u? . That has helped me. Except now she is beginning to learn what turning 50 and getting into shape feels like. Because I've worked outdoors all my life I'm very used to the things my bod goes thru to get in shape. She is learning. :-( .

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes, we often ride together. The part of Wisconsin in which we live is very hilly with loads of great sweeping turns. I also have a Salsa Vaya which I find myself on more than the Mukluk.
    Trying to keep my parts also but somedays I just want them to take out the knee, fix it and put it all back. Oh to be 30 again.
    Look for me on Facebook if you'd like....Nick Kovacs

Aly
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Did anyone try the Gravity Knockout Complete Fat Bike ?
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

Is it a good deal for the 299$ ?

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

That's not a fatbike per se, rather a 26+ since it only fits 3.0 tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post

Yes...I did...I bought just the frame and build it up with 85mm wheel with Origin8 Captiv8or 26x3.5 tires on it (actual width is 3.8" on an 80mm wheel)

I put a 1x10 X7/X9 drivetrain on it with Elixir9 203mm rotor up front and 140mm rotor with BB7 out back..

My build up of one is pretty well documented on this thread and over on Rat Rod Bikes......

I use it as my exercise bike...mine came in at 27lbs...it's an "ok" bike that I let friends cruise around on...but NOT for much more than flatland cruising and beach cruising.

mtbr member
    did the captivators on the 80mm rims fit in back ok? how much clearance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    did the captivators on the 80mm rims fit in back ok? how much clearance?
    There was not enough clearance....I had to (spread) the chainstays with a scissor jack just to get 4mm of clearance on each side (that's with 35psi in the tires though)

on 50mm wheels, they *might* fit w/o much trouble.

Aly
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks Shank3r
    I did read your comments on Rod Rat and was very helpful on deciding this purchase.
    I was now asking about the package that comes with the complete bike.
    It seems they are adding a 150$ worth wheels:
    and an Alivio Front and Rear Derailleur and other low end components

What do you think of the overall setup ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Does anyone know if the Frammed Wolftrax is with the extra $$ than the Minnesota 2.0?

K_B
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphere View Post
    Does anyone know if the Frammed Wolftrax is with the extra $$ than the Minnesota 2.0?
    I have not ridden one myself yet, but according to the Framed website the geometry (numbers-wise) is the same as their Alaskan model which is what I have. I much prefer the fit on the Alaskan versus the Minnesota which I rode for a season before getting the Alaskan.

You sit more upright and slightly further back on the AK than on the Minnesota. It rides more like a trail bike whereas the Minnesota rides more like a cross-country bike, if that makes any sense. If you can, go test-ride both as there is a noticeable difference in fit between the two.

If it were me, I'd take a risk and get the WolfTrax based on the fit alone. The base model uses all the same components as the Minnesota so the extra money is really only paying for a different frame. It will also be a little lighter.

mtbr member
    This is another one of my ignorance borne questions. What is a cross country bike?

mtbr member
    Wheeler SAVANA - I paid $999 right on the knocker but there was a $70 delivery fee because I didn't live in Victoria. If this link doesn't work then search "Wheeler fat" in eBay cycling.

2015 Wheeler Snow Beach Sand FAT Mountain Bike 21" | eBay

I used this bike to cycle the Canning Stock Route (CSR) in August and part of September 2015. 1,650km over 25 days of cycling. Only problem was with the poorly sealed pedals. Standard seat wasn't up to 25 days of outback corrugations, but that was my fault for not realizing I should have bought a proper off-road seat separately.

Expect to pay an extra $1,000 for anything better - SAVANA is fantastic value-for-money. See my recent post(s) in this thread:

Fat Wheeled Fat Bike Third Wheel Trailer

K_B
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This is another one of my ignorance borne questions. What is a cross country bike?
    In a nutshell, a cross-country style mountain bike is designed mainly to be fast and agile and a good climber with a more aggressive, forward-biased riding position. A trail bike is designed to be a little more relaxed; in both riding position and handling. Here's a good (although lengthy) explanation between the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnz7mEE7MtQ

mtbr member
    I plan on getting a Framed minnesota 1.0 soon,seems $750 is good price for me.
    2015 Giant Stance 2-1x10
    2013 Trek 3700 Disc-City Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Does anyone dirt jump one of these bikes? Looks like it would fun to do

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Great thread with lots of info. I am currently looking at the following.

KHS 500 or 1000
    Norco Bigfoot 6.2

That Motobecane Boris X7 is interesting. I laid the Boris over the KHS in this photo. The second photo is the Bigfoot over the KHS 500. Also circle a few differences between the Boris and the KHS. I test rode the 17" Bigfoot and loved it. Still undecided though, but leaning towards the Bigfoot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    got a brand new Mongoose Argus for $900 here in Philippines frame size is only small
    no regrets from my end

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Wheeler Savana seems to be similar to the Bikesdirect Motobecane Lurch. The u sprung version no?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If anyone is interested in buying a Framed Fat bike. I have a coupon code for The House – Outdoor Gear, Outerwear & Bikes - Save up to 70% The code is: FAT7304
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 10-26-2015 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I chose the single speed Raw Black Soul Stomper from Soul Beach Cruisers. It isn't your traditional fat bike. Take a BMX bike and give it growth hormones, a bad attitude and performance enhancing drugs and you get a slight idea the kind of beast you can ride. At $699 it was at a price point that I could afford but I didn't feel like, nor was I settling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This seems like a good deal for a sub-$1k, 190mm-framed bike, SE F@E @$799:

F@E Complete Bike - 2015 - Shop Complete Bikes and Frames On Sale | Steep & Cheap

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey all, I searched for a fat bike that wouldn't break the bank and after searching far and wide it seemed like the Bikes Direct, Framed Minn, and a the SE F@E.

Price wise, I found the SE F@E on Nashbar and got it for $614. If you sign up for their email list they send you pretty insane deals. Other sites sell the same bike for hundreds more.

Bike has a 190+ spacing in the rear, which is sweet. I wasn't crazy about the triple up front, but I will just get rid if it wears out. Samox is a decent build, and way better than the Minnesota's that I demoed.

Just thought I would add my two cents. Let me know if you have any questions as there are few reviews on the SE F@E.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got a very good deal! What tires come on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Se F@E Tires

They come with a Chaoyang 4 inch. I didn't think they would be all that great. But the are honestly better than the Vee Mission tire. The tread pattern is really pretty aggressive and not terrible.

I will probably upgrade for for winter here in NH if they really suck however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Considering buying my first fat bike. Would be for winter use only. Looking at the diamondback el Oso grande and the Minnesota 2.2 I can get both for ~ 1000$ I have some spare parts lying around ( hydraulic brakes, 1x crankset, derailleur) so I'm mostly looking at the frame and wheelset. DB has thru axels and wider hub spacing, is this going to be a better option for potential future upgrades?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by agarner View Post
    They come with a Chaoyang 4 inch. I didn't think they would be all that great. But the are honestly better than the Vee Mission tire. The tread pattern is really pretty aggressive and not terrible.

I will probably upgrade for for winter here in NH if they really suck however.
    I had those tires last year on my 6.3 Bigfoot. The only fat bike tire I rode last year so nothing to compare to. Initially, based on horrible reviews of Vee Missions and similar bottom of the barrel tires, I thought I would have to replace them for sure after first snow, but they surprised me. Didn't experience any major issues and rode all winter on them.

This year I got a new bike with Floaters. They do have more grip, although we just got a dusting of snow so far so will have to wait to see what they can do, but most importantly they have nice big side lugs. My only real complaint regarding those Chaoyang tires was that they really needed one more row of lugs on the side. I thought they were a decent budget tire, although in all fairness best suited for 3 season riding. Now waiting for my order of Dillinger 4's and a bag of carbide studs.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Se f@e

Good to hear that the Chaoyang isn't a complete waste! All of these >$1000 bikes get some sort of cheaper tire.

Anyone here ever run a larger front tire with a 4" in back?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridaho View Post
    Considering buying my first fat bike. Would be for winter use only. Looking at the diamondback el Oso grande and the Minnesota 2.2 I can get both for ~ 1000$ I have some spare parts lying around ( hydraulic brakes, 1x crankset, derailleur) so I'm mostly looking at the frame and wheelset. DB has thru axels and wider hub spacing, is this going to be a better option for potential future upgrades?
    I received my Origin8 Amarok on Friday, put a few miles on it already and super happy with it. Rides a lot like some other bikes I demoed over the years, and will allow me to slowly step into something nicer in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You may want to check if there's an LBS near you carrying the Framed Wolftrax, it's got a larger rear (197) and can take up to 5" tire. It's also got a nice hydroformed frame with some internal cable routing and starts at $1000; plus, the shop may offer you to swap the tires for something different, if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridaho View Post

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by agarner View Post
    Hey all, I searched for a fat bike that wouldn't break the bank and after searching far and wide it seemed like the Bikes Direct, Framed Minn, and a the SE F@E.

Price wise, I found the SE F@E on Nashbar and got it for $614. If you sign up for their email list they send you pretty insane deals. Other sites sell the same bike for hundreds more.

Bike has a 190+ spacing in the rear, which is sweet. I wasn't crazy about the triple up front, but I will just get rid if it wears out. Samox is a decent build, and way better than the Minnesota's that I demoed.

Just thought I would add my two cents. Let me know if you have any questions as there are few reviews on the SE F@E.
    How are you liking the bike. Nashbar has it on sale again and I am seriously looking at it. Have you had a chance to test it out in any snow by chance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    How are you liking the bike. Nashbar has it on sale again and I am seriously looking at it. Have you had a chance to test it out in any snow by chance?
    I'm looking at the same bike. Just wondering how it compares to the boris x5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Raleigh just released a new steel 170mm bike with 4" CY tires. It's got trail bike geometry based on the Tokul, which is a hardtail with 120/130mm travel. The bike fits Specialized Ground Control 4.6 tires too.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    I'm looking at the same bike. Just wondering how it compares to the boris x5.
    It can take bigger tires than the Boris. Not sure if you are planning on snow but if so it sounds like the wider the better. I just ordered a fat bike so this is not from personal experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thenry View Post
    It can take bigger tires than the Boris. Not sure if you are planning on snow but if so it sounds like the wider the better. I just ordered a fat bike so this is not from personal experience.
    Is went with the Mongoose Vinson. First fat bike, small investment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RUBZERK View Post
    Is went with the Mongoose Vinson. First fat bike, small investment.
    Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Raleigh Pardner fitted with 4.6 Specialized Ground Control tyres. Rear tyre clears everything but is close to the front mech. It probably would throw snow on it. Best go 1X or get a better front mech on it.
    Fatbikes under 00 bucks-img_0155.jpg

mtbr member
    I have been reading a lot on budget fat bikes, I kind of want one to keep at my office to get around base since I generally vanpool to work and don't have a way around. I can pick up one of those Pardners for $599.99 new through December. Seems like a really good deal, I need to go ride one.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    I have been reading a lot on budget fat bikes, I kind of want one to keep at my office to get around base since I generally vanpool to work and don't have a way around. I can pick up one of those Pardners for $599.99 new through December. Seems like a really good deal, I need to go ride one.
    I saw that same deal at This Bike Life. for $599 you cant go wrong. I bought the mongoose vinson for $333 shipped after tax. Not quite as nice of a build, but its half the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I saw that same deal at This Bike Life. for $599 you cant go wrong. I bought the mongoose vinson for $333 shipped after tax. Not quite as nice of a build, but its half the price.
    That's where I saw it. I would consider something like the Vinson, or other budget minded bikes, but they only come in one size normally and I am way too tall for that. I went up to TBL Saturday but they didn't have an XL in, actually they were down to M and SM. Oh well, I will find something at some point.

mtbr member
    For anyone looking for a nice, but fairly inexpensive fat bike, Surly just dropped the price of the Pugsley to $899. SS version is $799.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    For anyone looking for a nice, but fairly inexpensive fat bike, Surly just dropped the price of the Pugsley to $899. SS version is $799.
    Its a nice starter but the frame will only accept tires up to 3.8” wide on 84mm rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusf View Post
    Its a nice starter but the frame will only accept tires up to 3.8” wide on 84mm rims.
    It is far more than a starter. For many, a 4" tired fat bike is plenty and likely a better choice than a 5" tired bike.

It works great in most sand and snow conditions and is a better dirt trail bike than a 5" bike. The bigger tires do help in the worst conditions, but the difference is not necessary for a lot of fatty riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    It is far more than a starter. For many, a 4" tired fat bike is plenty and likely a better choice than a 5" tired bike.

It works great in most sand and snow conditions and is a better dirt trail bike than a 5" bike. The bigger tires do help in the worst conditions, but the difference is not necessary for a lot of fatty riding.
    That's true but while 5" is not best choice for many conditions and not always preferable, I run 4.25 most of the time, a frame limit of 3.8 is quite limiting in terms of options. There are many great tires over that size that will be out of range. I think size compatibility should be one of the considerations when investing in a new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another thing I would add is studded tires for winter snow riding. Hitting a sun exposed icy patch of a trail is not fun and can be very dangerous. Option to run a nice studded tire should be high on the list for people that might ride on snowy trails. Are there any factory fat tire options under 4"? Excluding home made stuff? Perhaps more will be available in the future

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have yet to see a better deal than the SE F@E. They have them at performance for $999, and are clearing out the 2015 at Nashbar for $800 (they are almost identical to the 2016). I bought one with their 25% off and free shipping and so paid $599 delivered. It's got a 9-spd, 190mm thru-axle symmetrical rear, tapered head tube, double butted hydroformed frame, 100mm rims and BB. It's a good bike as is and a great platform for upgrading.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just bought a Surly Ice Cream Truck Ops for $1199 at my LBS. Surly is apparently reducing inventory and have some select fat bikes on sale while their inventory last.

You can now, put the Pugsley SS -$799 (only in a few sizes), Pugsley -$899 and Pugsley Ops -$999 into your Fat bikes under $1000 list; until Surly runs out of their inventory or they go off sale. Check your LBS.

mtbr member
    Don't know if it's a Christmas thing, or just over the weekend, but if you are near a Scheels sporting goods store, they had this guy for something like $800-900 (don't remember exactly and didn't want my wife to think I was for looking at another bike). Decent 10-speed build with 4.7" tires.
    Fuji Wendigo All Terrain Bike | Scheels
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    I just bought a Surly Ice Cream Truck Ops for $1199 at my LBS. Surly is apparently reducing inventory and have some select fat bikes on sale while their inventory last.
    Congrats! I just did the same thing!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Niner RLT 9
    Surly ICT Ops

mtbr member

Fatbikes under $1000 bucks

Just picked up a new Nashbar fat bike. With sale and coupon codes, got it for $720. Great bike. Aluminum frame, X5 components, 2x 10 setup, tapered head tube, 4" tires. It does have a 170mm rear axle and only one set of water bottle braze on's but oh well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    since surly pugs are so tough to find in my area for the discounted price, i am looking at a origin8 amarok xlt. There is only one person on this site that had one, and i can find no other information. any other opinions about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Good Base to Work With

What is a good bike under $1000 that I can easily upgrade as I want. A couple musts are Rockshox capable, front and back through maxles and I want a cross country type frame (more MT Bike) not Pugsley type. Prefer a 1x, I don't want a front derailer but not an absolute.

Again - looking for a good platform for under $1000

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nit4FUN View Post
    What is a good bike under $1000 that I can easily upgrade as I want. A couple musts are Rockshox capable, front and back through maxles and I want a cross country type frame (more MT Bike) not Pugsley type. Prefer a 1x, I don't want a front derailer but not an absolute.

Again - looking for a good platform for under $1000

Thanks
    You're not going to have many options meeting all those criteria for under $1k, but I'm sure someone else will chime in (I assume you read the thread and it wasn't mentioned?). I believe there are one or two models of Motobecane at $1100 with TAs and tapered headtube for shock, but you'd need to convert to 1x. I believe the Framed wolftrax has a $1000 or $1100 model with tapered headtube, 1x, and front TA, but not rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    dayooper - thanks for the reply. I know I might be asking a lot. I am just diving in and starting to learn. I figured I would shoot for the stars and make adjustments if needed.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    I believe the Framed wolftrax has a $1000 or $1100 model with tapered headtube, 1x, and front TA, but not rear.
    The Framed MN 2.2 (999.95) and 3.0 like the Wolf trax will have near the same pricepoint, but no rear thru axle and can't be converted to one either. One thing the Wolftrax has is internal cable routing and 3 mounting points on the front fork for a cage. Spec level should be the same for all 3 as well. There is a deal still going at the House for 100 off. The wheels are supposed to be tubeless ready, but may require the cut tube method.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The Framed MN 2.2 (999.95) and 3.0 like the Wolf trax will have near the same pricepoint, but no rear thru axle and can't be converted to one either. One thing the Wolftrax has is internal cable routing and 3 mounting points on the front fork for a cage. Spec level should be the same for all 3 as well. There is a deal still going at the House for 100 off. The wheels are supposed to be tubeless ready, but may require the cut tube method.

I really like the Framed bikes. I was just on the House site. They don't carry any Wolftrax, which is the one I am leaning towards. I am just frustrated that I live in a huge bicycle community (Madison WI) and no one seems to carry Framed bikes within an hours drive.

mtbr member
    There's only maybe 20 dealers nationwide. I was at the House yesterday and they have the Wolftrax there, but perhaps since it is the newest model it's not on their site. I'll be going back today and will ask them about it. Perhaps you can call them and see if you can purchase from them over the phone. It is a 1-800 number and is free. You can find the specs on the Framed site.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thank you!! I will do that!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Agreed. I preferred the Wolftrax and AK for geo (rode both) over the 2.2, but Wolftrax takes a larger tire in the rear which was key for me. Ultimately, I went in a different direction, but really liked the Framed bikes too.

mtbr member
    The 3.0 xwt is a 4.7 tire, 190mm hub width. 4in for me will be plenty big, the 190 just looked too big and I didn't like how the chainstays looked to accommodate it, personal opinion. The 2.2 does have a very short eff top tube, but I put a 750 bar on it to compensate. I figure I'll ride it until the warranty is up and decide if I want to upgrade to something else. The other thing I thought may happen is people selling used rear 170 hub wheels so maybe I'll get a chance for a nicer wheel at some point next season. First fatty, 10spd, and tapered head tube for me so I tried to make the best decision I could for my pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    That's right, the 3.0 did have the bigger capacity. Bottom line is Framed has a pretty nice spread of models for a variety of preferences, and all are a good price.

mtbr member
    ^Agreed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post
    Agreed. I preferred the Wolftrax and AK for geo (rode both) over the 2.2, but Wolftrax takes a larger tire in the rear which was key for me. Ultimately, I went in a different direction, but really liked the Framed bikes too.

What did you end up getting?

Tomorrow I am going to go test ride a Pugs and an Ice Cream Truck. The ICT is out of my price range. Wish the OPs was still in stock.

I just need to get on a Framed bike to see what I think. I have to drive an hour or more to make that happen

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What did you end up getting?

Tomorrow I am going to go test ride a Pugs and an Ice Cream Truck. The ICT is out of my price range. Wish the OPs was still in stock.

I just need to get on a Framed bike to see what I think. I have to drive an hour or more to make that happen
    Well, I ended up bumping my budget a bit as I got into it ... ended up going with the Motobecane Sturgis Bullet, as it best met my criteria. I was really close to the Wolftrax, but ended up with carbon fork (sold bluto, bought carbon fork), 2x for winter riding, along with the TR Mulefut rims (that was big), TAs and crank upgrade for a total of $1350 delivered.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i will get a motobecaine fb4 delivered tomorrow from bike island for $650. sram x5 derailleur/shifters, sram db1 hydraulic brakes, 6061 frame. having to go up to $1500 to find similarly fitted bikes (i think). am i missing something or was this a great deal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabbindan View Post
    i will get a motobecaine fb4 delivered tomorrow from bike island for $650. sram x5 derailleur/shifters, sram db1 hydraulic brakes, 6061 frame. having to go up to $1500 to find similarly fitted bikes (i think). am i missing something or was this a great deal?
    Bike Island bikes are seconds/thirds?? etc? Basically a scratch & dent or something worse wrong with the bike. Look carefully at the description to see what is actually wrong with the bike.

The bike is also 135mm offset hubs (like the pugsley) so thats a matter more of preference, but this bike and a $1500 bike (pugsley, Charge, spec, trek, etc) are definitely different levels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dabbindan View Post
    I'll agree with the poster above that you'd want to double check what's dinged up (edit: you probably already have, since it's being delivered today!), but my understanding is the BI bike issues are only cosmetic. I'll disagree that the other bikes mentioned are automatically at "different levels", as that's dependent on how they're spec'd and not necessarily the case (aside from brand name). The moto frames are quality, and the components are the components (which you can compare). That sounds like a quality ride for a great price, assuming the flaws aren't anything significant. I'd guess there's probably a thread here discussing that model specifically.

mtbr member
    I've bought multiple bikes off bikeisland, and they've all been good. They definitely have stuff wrong with them though, but that's usually documented in the description. Normally scrapes from shipping, but if you don't put at least a couple scrapes on your bike, you're not riding properly. Almost all the bikes I've bought were missing forks. That was fine with me because the OEM speced suntour XCT forks are junk anyway. They still have the full "warranty", which boils down to bikeisland will normally work with you if something is messed up that shouldn't be messed up. This is usually by giving you back some money or sending replacement parts out. labor is still on you though.

The bikeisland stuff has the same issues that bikesdirect bikes have. The derailure and shifter are nice, but other areas are skimped on. Cheap no name stems, handlebars, and seatposts. Strong, but heavy. Low end ball and cone hubs with cheap straight gauge spokes. They're assembled well, and I beat the snot out of some WTB rims on formula hubs for over 2 years, but they're heavy. Comparable to deore 525 or SRAM 306 hubs, just without the ability to easily get replacement freehubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The bikeisland stuff has the same issues that bikesdirect bikes have. The derailure and shifter are nice, but other areas are skimped on. Cheap no name stems, handlebars, and seatposts. Strong, but heavy. Low end ball and cone hubs with cheap straight gauge spokes. They're assembled well, and I beat the snot out of some WTB rims on formula hubs for over 2 years, but they're heavy. Comparable to deore 525 or SRAM 306 hubs, just without the ability to easily get replacement freehubs.[/QUOTE]

True on the lower end models, as is also the case for most sub-$1500-2000 bikes sold locally.

mtbr member
    I really like the Framed bikes. I was just on the House site. They don't carry any Wolftrax, which is the one I am leaning towards. I am just frustrated that I live in a huge bicycle community (Madison WI) and no one seems to carry Framed bikes within an hours drive.
    The Wolftrax models are designed to be sold in local bike shops who are Framed Dealers - something to set apart from the Framed Minnesota models sold online I believe. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    ^ I was just writing that response as you posted it. That's what I learned from the House guys yesterday. I didn't post last night because I was out in the snow. The House guys said you could call them and talk to them about it. They made it sound like you could purchase from them and have it shipped to you Nit4FUN

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The problem with Diadora and many around 650$ is about 36 teeth in the front plus the extra weight it is simply not designed to go uphill.
    Put on better wheels
    Put on better tires
    the transmission still creates problems in my opinion.
    The Norco Bigfoot 6.3 is about 1060$canadian with decent specs to avoid pushing it too often.
    You are welcome to correct me if i am wrong, i am a newbie

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    The problem with Diadora and many around 650$ is about 36 teeth in the front plus the extra weight it is simply not designed to go uphill.
    Put on better wheels
    Put on better tires
    the transmission still creates problems in my opinion.
    The Norco Bigfoot 6.3 is about 1060$canadian with decent specs to avoid pushing it too often.
    You are welcome to correct me if i am wrong, i am a newbie
    Diadora Artico is 2x9 (or even 2x8, can't remember anymore) drivetrain so granny gear would be anywhere from 22-26? I've seen one in person and yes it was quite heavy, I would guesstimate around 38lbs, just shy of 40. Then again, my own Fatty is at least 36lbs , but I don't really care...

I second the 6.3, had a 2015 as my first fat bike. Great bike to start on especially if you're outside of US and BD, Framed and Mongoose (Vinson) bikes are not available.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just got my wife a SE F@E from Nashbar for $640 delivered. Anything I need to know about the wheels? Can't find much on them. Brands of rims and hubs? Easy to set up tubeless?

If the bike would have had a 15mm TA it would have been about perfect. I figure I can spend another $300 and put on a XT 1x11 drivetrain and if the brakes or tires suck drop another $100 and have a pretty sweet bike for about $1000

mtbr member
    My guess is they are either Weinmann or similar, which pretty much mean Split tube for tubeless and also using some form of Sill foam. If those are Vee Mission tires, plan on replacing those and they aren't very good. Prices are from $60~$70 to $150ish (more for studded) per tire.

If brakes suck you could do BB7's if you want mech or go with Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have read they don't ship with the Mission anymore. Why don't the Weinmann work with tape for tubeless? They also seem to be an interesting width at 93mm.

Yeah for brakes I will go with m785. Can get a set for about $150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    I have read they don't ship with the Mission anymore. Why don't the Weinmann work with tape for tubeless? They also seem to be an interesting width at 93mm.

Yeah for brakes I will go with m785. Can get a set for about $150
    There is a whole big thread about Weinmann HL-80 tubeless woes. The bottom line, it's spit tube and foam has been the only semi-reliable method. It's possible that they aren't Weinmann but since much hasn't been said/found about them, they most likely aren't tubeless rims (UST, etc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Went a different direction. Picked up a Surly Wednesday. Having the 2x switched out for a 1x. Pick up this week!! Super excited!!

I liked what I read about the Framed bikes. Wish I could of test rid a Wolftrax. But the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I picked the Wednesday over the Pugsley b/c it is more upgradeable. Tapered head tube and also the Wednesday felt just like riding my Trek 830. That is what I wanted. More than I wanted to spend, but I think I will be happy in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Went a different direction. Picked up a Surly Wednesday. Having the 2x switched out for a 1x. Pick up this week!! .
    Please let us know the weight

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Please let us know the weight
    Lol! You got me there, it's a fattie. Hoping to lose a bit from losing the 2x. Eventually I'll pick up some lighter wheels. But still think it's going to be around 36 or more...I was told I can go tubeless also, so that might help a bit too. Otherwise don't talk about her weight in front of her, she gets self conscious

mtbr member
    As long as you're super excited with the Wednesday there's no need to lament the possibility of the Wolftrax. If the 3 shops that I called last Sunday had been open it's very possible that I would be riding a Pugsley instead of the MN 2.2. That said I'm happy with my purchase. The weight I saved with the aluminum frame is a trade-off for me, since a steel frame would dampen more of the trail/road vibrations. So thankfully I have big tires. Also, you're not likely to save much weight with the loss of a chain ring and shifter and you're right about it being a fat-tire from Surly and not a weight weenie carbon build. There's a guy at the end of my block who has an ICT, the weight doesn't seem to bother him at all. Get out there and ride to put a smile on your face, that's all that matters.

On a side note, those guys at Surly sure do like the Addams family kids.

mtbr member
    :-) .
    Your last sentence is quotably appripo . What size tires will the Wednesday take ? Also, What is all the fuss about going tubeless????
    The hell people seem to go thru , It doesn't seem to be worth all the fuss.
    Unless everyone on here makes a living winning bike races. It seems to be some form of ocd. I never even heard of tubeless bike tires until I joined here. If I had an ICT. I would be riding the thing everyday !

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Reid Hercules

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    We all know about Framed, Bikes Direct and Walgoose. Any one else apart of this box of crayons?
    Fairly new to the game, Reid Hercules and the Ares.

Hercules Fat Bike » Reid Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    +100 and you get a real bike with ALL modern standards
    197 Thru. 150 Thru. Suspension Corrected ETC!!!!
    Felt Double Double 70 Brand New! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    ^ Boo

mtbr member
    I picked up a origin 8 Amarok XLT today at the Westminster Md swap meet for $650 new with warranty from one of my LBS. Took it in the woods on some singletrack and had a good time with it. The price was right and could not resist. If it turns out I like the bike I will do some upgrades to the drive train and other components. Just looked outside and lowe and behold it is snowing in Maryland and I just got a fat bike! Am off tomorrow and will go play! I am Excited!

Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Bill; that looks like a very good deal . The only thing I can see that I would change right off in the chain ring. The specs say it.is a 32 tooth. Which for.Me is fine for a 2x set up. But on a 1x I would want a 22~26 t and maybe a 40~44 in the rear.
    It looks like Bud&Lou will fit right on so your float will b good .
    Good deal !!

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I also prefer the 24 or 26T chainring for 1x fatbike with snow duty in mind, but I don't know if it would fit with those 4.9" tires. If you try to use the inner chainring position (assuming the crankset has the 64 BCD holes drilled), almost guaranteed to rub. Spec's say it's got a single 33T ring, which should match up with a 104BCD crankset. Time to grab a 30T narrow wide.
    Product Description | Origin8

mtbr member
    I don't think it will work with the 4.9" tires. It is real tight now. am toying with trying to switch it over to 1x10 or 11. I definitely ran out of gear on a few climbs. Here is a question being new to the fat world. are the components the same on the fat bike as a mountain bike. I know the bb and cranks are not the same but i would believe the rest are the same.Seeing on ebay x9 groups for $400-500 new. She has a 120mm crank so need to see what is out there. for now am gonna run it. Took it out in the snow today and what a blast! I am now in a sling! found I must be a little more careful in tight spaces. Was on a nice decent that I rid regularly on my flash. Found that the fatty was a bit tighter and caught a pedal on a small tree.( That's why they call em fat I guess) Went flying and landed on my shoulder. Bike flew over me and landed in front. Picked myself up ,put the bike back together and rode 2 more hours. Tore some ligaments and stretches some tendons. The bike seems to have survived ok though.

What fun though!
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    ...are the components the same on the fat bike as a mountain bike. I know the bb and cranks are not the same but i would believe the rest are the same.
    For the most part, yes. fork/frame, bottom bracket, axles lengths, and obviously the tires/rims. Everything else is pretty much standard stuff. However, I wouldn't buy a "groupset" for this. If you want to go 10-speed, I'd stick with an x7 or x9 rear derailure, shifter, chain, and raceface NW 30T chainring. Throw in a sunrace 11-42 10-speed cassette, and you're good. Out the door cost should be less than $250-300.

If you haven't checked yet, make sure the crankset uses the 110mm 4-bolt pattern. If it uses a 5 bolt or the spider thing, more options might be available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Picked up a Charge Cooker Maxi 1 today off eBay for 500 bucks, should be here in about a week. I'll be sure to post up when I get it!

mtbr member
    Here goes, trying to post pics of my fatty. Went to sports med at the hospital and all will be fine. Hand and shoulder are sprained. Will take about 3-6 weeks for recovery. I say 3!

20160215_132826_zps5smn1djo.jpg.html][/URL]

2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    that's are big tires. I sorta have tire envy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast