Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Go for X7 and find a used Lefty set up. I think I saw one with clamps and wheel for 375 on FB Fatbike page.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    A couple of others you might consider is the Minnesota 2.0 for $899 and possibly the Norco Bigfoot 6.3 for $949.

mtbr member
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Don't know anything about said bikes but my advice is to look at the frame first for geo, material,hub width, axle type, and what fork it can run now and in the future...
    I agree.

Would your friend consider buying a less expensive Boris, and using the rest of the budget on a wheelset?

Generally speaking, unless you're paying north of $3K msrp, almost all bikes tend to come with really inexpensive stock wheels. Because a cheap, heavy wheelset can really hold back a bike, I recently purchased an X5 ($600) knowing that I'd be spending several hundred more on an upgraded wheelset.
    Last edited by antonio; 03-06-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the 2.0 and really like it. Though the shifting is a little slow under power with the x5 components. I plan on upgrading slowly. It's light and responsive, I rode a lot of singletrack before we got snow and it performed great.

mtbr member
    I was looking at the KHS 4 Season well under $1k with hopes of upgrading to my likings until I stumbled on a sweet deal for a Bigfoot 6.3. KHS frame was nice too....

bigger than you.
    SE Bikes Foe & F@e offer great values, as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Looking to get my first fat bike

I've been looking to buy my first fat bike. I've been looking at reviews and reading forums, but it seems like everybody buys a fat bike and alters it almost instantly, this makes it hard for me to get a good idea about which bike is really a good buy. I could really use some advise on which bikes are a good value stock. I'm looking to spend around $1000 on it. I'm ok with having to do some minor modifications to it right away, but would really like to be able to ride it out of the box. Any advise would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Just so you know, my bike is still stock. Down to the saddle.

I may swap the stem out for a slightly longer one.

How are you with bike wrenching? The less expensive choices seem to be the popular mail order kinds.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm not scared of getting dirty. I just want to get some input before spending this kind of money. I didn't spend this kind of money on my truck. What kind of bike do you have?

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey RMark. I'm looking to get my first fat bike too. I ordered one a while ago from The House who sells the Framed brand bikes. I'm getting a Minnesota 3.0 XWT hopefully soon. They are very much within your price range. You will need to get pedals. Otherwise, it looks to be a pretty good buy as is. They've had a bit of an issue with the container ships out west, but that's cleared up. They are expecting a bunch of the Minnesota bikes any time now. Go for it!

mtbr member
    RMark, With your budget, I would check out the used market, which ought to be rather good in the Madison area. A lot of people may be trading up with all the new models coming out. Used will get you more bike for less money with a good chance of some important upgrades being already done. Tires are a big one, as many models come stock with 27 tpi or some of the less desirable offerings from Vee rubber. Most of the quality bikes are adequately speced, imo, with the occasional exception being tires as I mentioned. You should be able to pick up a used Mukluk or a Pug for something close to $1000. If you haven't done it already, test ride both of those bikes to see which you prefer, since they loosely represent the two predominant fatbike geo styles out there today. With a little luck the only mods you might need to do would be for fit and comfort - stems, saddle, grips, etc.
    Vini vidi velo!

mtbr member
    He ended up with a gravity bullseye pro. X7 parts with a Bluto. Should be here next week!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    He ended up with a gravity bullseye pro. X7 parts with a Bluto. Should be here next week!
    good choice.. imho, trail riding on a fatbike needs bluto.. sure you can still ride rigid but with bluto, your friend will be riding faster where he would otherwise have to slow down lest he wants to be thrown off the bike.. especially on consecutive small jumps.. those are unforgiving especially without the squish upfront.. i had a wo and my fatboy (prior to bluto).. all i ride is trails.. with bluto on my fatboy, it is a totally different ride experience..

mtbr member
    I ride rigid on trails all the time. I have never felt the need for a compression fork on my fatty. My 2 cents. I can understand why some riders would prefer the Bluto.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Gravity Knockout Fatbike

Bikeisland selling some mis-fabed frames:

BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping
    Has anyone had any experience with this frame? I can deal with the mechanical issues.

I'm mostly looking for info on tire clearance and frame geometry.
    1. Can the front fork fit a 4" tire?
    2. The rear a 3.8?

I have a 19" Gravity SS. Measurements seem similar for the 18"

Any experiences pro or con would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I just got a 16" Gravity Knockout complete bike from BikeIsland for my gf 2 weeks ago. Didn't even have the clearance issue on hers but put a Lizard Skin on the chainstay as the chain comes pretty close. Not sure if I got a lucky one or what. Paid $299 shipped. She's new to riding so I didn't want to invest a bunch of money on something that might not get used much. Nice looking bike and only had to do some minor tuning of the brakes and derailleurs to get it going. The Tektro brakes were much easier to dial in than the Avid BB5s that came with my fat bike. For the riding she'll do on it, it's a really good value for a complete entry level fat bike.

Just ordered her some Framed Fatty Slims for city cruising.

I ride a '14 Framed Minnesota 2.0 and upgraded nearly everything on it. I'm going to swap over my old SRAM X5 rear mech, shifters, brake levers, and cassette to her bike to convert it to a 2x9 setup so she can swap the Fatty Slims out easy.

I'll see if I can mount my Framed wheels with 4" Vee Missions on her bike. Pretty sure it will be no problem on the front. I'll report back with the results soon. The rims on the Gravity Knockout are not as wide and I doubt you could put a 4" tire on them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just pulled the trigger on the mini for the kids to share (almost 12 year old shorter boy and girl). If they like it a lot I might consider getting a second one for year around use.

Only adjustments so far are the upgrade of the handlebar to a raised one (had a short carbon laying around) and had to adjust the brakes. The levers were way to far out. That and proper torquing all over and tire pressure was super high at 25. So far the kids love it but on snow the gearing is a major concern. I think at the start I will drop the 32T down to 30T and maybe replace the cassette with 11-36 to help out. At least before considering any crank changes and adding front derailleur

Awesome bike and matches my 3.0 Looking forward to some rides.

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150306_182337_resized_1.jpg

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150308_135107_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Also was quite surprised that the overall diameter with these tires came to almost exactly same as my 650b wheels on my summer bike Much larger then their 24" bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was finally able put my Framed Minnesota 2.0 wheels/4" Vee Rubber Missions on the Gravity Knockout. No problem in the front. On the rear, seatstay clearance is fine but I had to deflate the tire a bit to get it past the curve of the chainstays. Still it's just barely too wide to use and rubs. I would guess 3.8 would work but that would be the max. I'll try to get some pictures of the seatstay, chainstay, and front fork clearances for you tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

bike island and bikes direct....

I was looking at the boris x7..bike island has it listed at $649 and bikes direct has it at $699..I did search and I did not want too start a this vs that thread..but $50 is $50 shaved.. why is there a price difference? ?

mtbr member
    One's gonna be banged up a bit, or a return for some reason or another; that's all Bike Island sells I'm fairly sure.

Have you read the bike island descriptions at all yet? Do it, you'll learn something. Even the drop down menu for what you buy, it'll tell you what's "wrong" with the bike.

mtbr member
    I looked at the Bike Island page last night and found that they had a Gravity bullseye monster Pro for about 949 minus 150 because it had no fork. I thought about it and decided that BD has the better choice for me because a Bluto still runs $500+ to replace it. Plus at the time i don't ave the tools or space to install a fork. There real difference to me is not that much. Bike island sell it complete for $949 and I can get a factory fresh one from BD for $999. iMHO I would look at both and read carefully what is wrong with the Fat bike before plunking down my hard earned cash on a "dent and ding ' model.

Oldbear (aka Fred)

My stable includes:

1947 Schwinn clunker
    1913 BSA road racing bike
    1978 Miyata road bike
    2014 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    2015 Gravity Deadeye Monster ss
    (I only ride fat)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wow! Thanks so much for you help. I really appreciate your effort!

Sounds like you got a good deal on a bike for you significant other. Hopefully she gets into it.

Thanks again for you help.

mtbr member
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dariusf View Post
    Also was quite surprised that the overall diameter with these tires came to almost exactly same as my 650b wheels on my summer bike Much larger then their 24" bikes.
    Awesome! Hope your little dude & dudette love it

And I too was pleasantly surprised that the overall wheel diameter of my Fatboy 24 is close to 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Melll View Post
    Awesome! Hope your little dude & dudette love it

And I too was pleasantly surprised that the overall wheel diameter of my Fatboy 24 is close to 27.5
    thanks, unfortunately the weather is not very cooperative here in Chicago. We had lots of snow and ice and the temps went up and everything has been melting for a few days. Most of the snow should be gone by the weekend but that will leave mud everywhere and closed trails

The wheel size is great, nice to have this frame size with larger wheels for the trails. The build does leave lots to be desired but then at that price one can;t be too choosy Also allows for some 'fun' upgrading

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Don't know anything about said bikes but my advice is to look at the frame first for geo, material,hub width, axle type, and what fork it can run now and in the future. Look next at the wheels and hubs as those are the next big ticket items. Then cranks, brakes and tires. Lastly and for myself personally I wouldn't spend to much time on the other crap because it can be replaced inexpensively when the it wears out, self destructs, or just upgrade-itis steps in. I think to many people see an x9 rear derailleur and get all google eyed and forget about the actual heartbeat of the bike.
    Good advice..and it applies to bike shops and BD as well.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on the mini for the kids to share (almost 12 year old shorter boy and girl). If they like it a lot I might consider getting a second one for year around use.

Only adjustments so far are the upgrade of the handlebar to a raised one (had a short carbon laying around) and had to adjust the brakes. The levers were way to far out. That and proper torquing all over and tire pressure was super high at 25. So far the kids love it but on snow the gearing is a major concern. I think at the start I will drop the 32T down to 30T and maybe replace the cassette with 11-36 to help out. At least before considering any crank changes and adding front derailleur

Awesome bike and matches my 3.0 Looking forward to some rides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150308_135107_resized.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	971190
    If you don't mind, how tall is your son? The fit on that looks pretty good. Is there much, if any, toe overlap? I'm getting really close to getting one of these for my boy. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    If you don't mind, how tall is your son? The fit on that looks pretty good. Is there much, if any, toe overlap? I'm getting really close to getting one of these for my boy. Thanks for the feedback.
    Here is a pic of my daughter and she is 4' 8"

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150311_170310_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    thanks, unfortunately the weather is not very cooperative here in Chicago. We had lots of snow and ice and the temps went up and everything has been melting for a few days. Most of the snow should be gone by the weekend but that will leave mud everywhere and closed trails
    Hopefully you'll be able to get a few rides in... enough, at least, to know which parts you want to upgrade.

And I agree, the price is great. If I could get the Mini-sota in Canada for the price it's sold for in the US, I would have jumped at it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    here is the new carbon handlebar

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-20150310_195234_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hopefully you'll be able to get a few rides in... enough, at least, to know which parts you want to upgrade.

And I agree, the price is great. If I could get the Mini-sota in Canada for the price it's sold for in the US, I would have jumped at it.
    Its all melting now and trails are completely off limits until they dry out

Its still quite a bit to spend on a kids bike but you sure get quite a bit for the price. Will they not ship to Canada?

mtbr member
    Its all melting now and trails are completely off limits until they dry out

Its still quite a bit to spend on a kids bike but you sure get quite a bit for the price. Will they not ship to Canada?
    Oh no, boo to off-limit muddy trails.

It's an extra $120 USD to ship to Canada, plus duty/taxes. That, added to the current terrible CAD/USD exchange rate means it would be about the same price to get the Mini-sota here as to order in the Fatboy 24 at the price my LBS was willing to offer me.

Either way quite a bit for a "kids" bike, but I'm not going to grow out of it. Your daughter is very nearly my height.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh no, boo to off-limit muddy trails.

It's an extra $120 USD to ship to Canada, plus duty/taxes. That, added to the current terrible CAD/USD exchange rate means it would be about the same price to get the Mini-sota here as to order in the Fatboy 24 at the price my LBS was willing to offer me.

Either way quite a bit for a "kids" bike, but I'm not going to grow out of it. Your daughter is very nearly my height.
    Yes, mud is not an issue but ruining the single track is. Unfortunately too many people do not care and ruin sections of the trails. Then its up to local CAMBr volunteers to fix them Few more warmer sunny days ahead of the weekend. Hopefully the wide track with its crushed limestone will be good to go.

As far as shipping the bike, depending how far north you are, have you thought about getting the bike shipped to someone in US and go on a weekend road trip to pick it up? I'm by Chicago if that helps

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of my daughter and she is 4' 8"

Name:	20150311_170310_resized.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	971993
    Thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Thank you sir!
    you are welcome, the bike is quite a bit larger then 24" Specialized Hotrock or 24" Trek 220.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    I was looking at the boris x7..bike island has it listed at $649 and bikes direct has it at $699..I did search and I did not want too start a this vs that thread..but $50 is $50 shaved.. why is there a price difference? ?
    I've bought a bike from Bike Island and can tell you most of the dings and scratches are kind of exaggerated. I believe I did more (cosmetic) damage to the bike on it's first day at a trail park than what I got from the shipping crate. Cust. service is as good as can be. They ship you a set of parts fast if you claim any fault not mentioned in the pull down. No questions asked.

mtbr member

mongoose vinson heck of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by hectorlandaeta View Post
    I've bought a bike from Bike Island and can tell you most of the dings and scratches are kind of exaggerated. I believe I did more (cosmetic) damage to the bike on it's first day at a trail park than what I got from the shipping crate. Cust. service is as good as can be. They ship you a set of parts fast if you claim any fault not mentioned in the pull down. No questions asked.
    I bought a mongoose vinson 490.00 total at the sports authority.the deal now is 579.00 plus free shipping and 10 percent back on email sign ups but keep looking as deals change weekly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-snowmongo-040.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-snowmongo-042.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-snowmongo-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is the bike my buddy to ended up with:

Its a Bullyeye Monster pro from bike island. There are a couple minor scratchs on the frame, but he strips the paint off of everything, so that doesn't matter to him at all. For a bike with X7 parts, and a Bluto, I don't think he could have done better.
    Last edited by blown240; 03-15-2015 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We picked up my son's mini
    Thought I'd throw up a photo comparison of his 24" Cannondale compared to the mini-sota
    He's pretty excited
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-image.jpg  

Fatbikes under 00 bucks-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    We picked up my son's mini
    Thought I'd throw up a photo comparison of his 24" Cannondale compared to the mini-sota
    He's pretty excited
    Nice, did you go on any trails?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Chicago weather sucks, the trails are a complete mudslide, even the wide track still wet. Instead riding I spend half a day yesterday with my son and the local bike org building new single track trails and fixing others. Over 3 hours on a small team rough cutting and marking a new trail. It snakes along a couple ravines connecting to existing trail. Not as fun as riding but quite cool to think that if the trail gets approved by the forest preserve, we were involved in its conception

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Dolomite - $212, I got mine over-nighted FedEx free. Rolls on glass, wheels - tires mind-boggling true. Yeah so I gotta tear it open and grease the bearings, everyone should do that anyway. 49 pounds, men only.

Question: Does Bikes Direct own this site?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AZINGER View Post

No but a ton of people on this site own Bikes Direct Bikes and the owner of Bikes Direct is a member here...

:-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hardly! The other half that doesn't own Motobacons are big time haters!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    it may seem that way from this thread, but they have a huge portion of the roughly $1000 and below fatbike market at the moment

mtbr member
    For under $1000, they have a lot to offer.

Is dang happy!
    Under $1500!
    The big brands are still excising a Fat tax and Surly/Salsa have always charged a premium for great marketing.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by hectorlandaeta View Post
    Hardly! The other half that doesn't own Motobacons are big time haters!
    I own a Motobacon and cracked the frame at the front headset after seven years of abuse. Of course I was bunny hopping over concrete curbs and launching the damn thing into the air, coming down hard. I took it in and they replaced the frame for free and did it within a week. I was amazed. But that doesn't inspire me to buy another one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Under $1500!
    The big brands are still excising a Fat tax and Surly/Salsa have always charged a premium for great marketing.
    And I notice their web site looks like it was designed by a 13 year old, reminds me of the old snowboard sites, but even Burton has cleaned up their act. Supposed to be cool, but comes off as arrested development. And their bikes are made in the same place as my cheapo Dolemite, just with upgraded components. But how do we know if they are not knockoff's? We don't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    And their bikes are made in the same place as my cheapo Dolemite, just with upgraded components. But how do we know if they are not knockoff's? We don't.
    Nah, Got that wrong I believe.. Motobacons are mostly made in Kinesis, REPUBLIC of China (Taiwan). Moongeese are made in PRC, continental China (Commie as they come, no human rights and the whole enchilada). If you're Rommney adept it shouldn't make a difference. Bringing geopolitics into a bike buying decision IS, I gladly admit, kinda extreme but to me the choice of buying from someplace where they practice normal contraception opposed to some other place where they did (or do) very late stage abortions as the state sponsored birth control device is kinda compelling. Anyway, bike components are made mostly, if not all in the PRC, so there's no avoiding it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone know the exact model and size of the rear derailleur? Trying to figure out if it will work with 1x10 setup

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I get your misgivings, but hard to avoid prc products.... like 90% + of the fishing rods I ever sold were from China.
    You guys have much more choice in bargain price fat bikes. 2-3 options real low in uk, bought and upgraded a basic sandseeker, got a tough ride with ok bits for around 1,000 in your money.
    Bought some bits from Stateside, better service and knowledge in the country that spawned the genre!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by deton8r View Post
    I just got a 16" Gravity Knockout complete bike from BikeIsland for my gf 2 weeks ago. Didn't even have the clearance issue on hers but put a Lizard Skin on the chainstay as the chain comes pretty close. Not sure if I got a lucky one or what. Paid $299 shipped. She's new to riding so I didn't want to invest a bunch of money on something that might not get used much. Nice looking bike and only had to do some minor tuning of the brakes and derailleurs to get it going. The Tektro brakes were much easier to dial in than the Avid BB5s that came with my fat bike. For the riding she'll do on it, it's a really good value for a complete entry level fat bike.

Just ordered her some Framed Fatty Slims for city cruising.

I ride a '14 Framed Minnesota 2.0 and upgraded nearly everything on it. I'm going to swap over my old SRAM X5 rear mech, shifters, brake levers, and cassette to her bike to convert it to a 2x9 setup so she can swap the Fatty Slims out easy.

I'll see if I can mount my Framed wheels with 4" Vee Missions on her bike. Pretty sure it will be no problem on the front. I'll report back with the results soon. The rims on the Gravity Knockout are not as wide and I doubt you could put a 4" tire on them.
    im building one of those bikes up as a loaner bike for when people want to come over and go for a ride with us....you WILL NOT be able to fit a 4" tire in the rear....trust me..

you can see my build over on Rat Rod Bikes : Check out these $150 shipped Fatbike frames! | Rat Rod Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    New here and want to do the Gravity FB frame also. Did you put the Fatty Slim wheel sets in to try yet?

Also, how do the diameters of the original Gravity wheel sets compare to the Fatty Slims?

Finally, how tall is your GF (trying to size frame).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Knockout
    For those of you with the knockout, how's it going? Mind starting a thread just for it. Does it use a 100mm square tapper bottom bracket? Good crankarm clearance? Any tire rub? Are the tires good, or complete junk?

they seem like a good platform to throw a 4" tire up front, adjust the high speed limit screw in back, and just ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Knockout
    For those of you with the knockout, how's it going? Mind starting a thread just for it. Does it use a 100mm square tapper bottom bracket? Good crankarm clearance? Any tire rub? Are the tires good, or complete junk?

they seem like a good platform to throw a 4" tire up front, adjust the high speed limit screw in back, and just ride it.
    +1
    It seems we have some prospective buyers here and this looks like a fun platform to tinker with!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sowleman View Post
    Built up my wife's Mini-Sota with a few mods yesterday.

Xt 1x10, 11/36 cassette, race face 30t, carbon slk bars. 29 lbs on shop scale. Fort Custer on Sunday for first ride! Can't wait!
    I'm only 5 ft with a 27.5 in inseam and I'm leaning heavily toward the Mini-Sota 2.0 2015. I really wanted the Minnesota 2.0, 15" but the standover would kill me being too high and yet the option of Fattie Slims on the Minesota 2.0 for a versatile ride was so inviting. Now that I see you have done some mods and made the weight go down I'm really excited to order the Mini-Sota. I'm not too saavy on the equipment upgrades listed on the forum but I'm learning. Next is to get my husband thinking about a Fat Bike after I get mine! I see some big fun in my future! Thanks for posting the info!

mtbr member
    Yes, mud is not an issue but ruining the single track is. Unfortunately too many people do not care and ruin sections of the trails. Then its up to local CAMBr volunteers to fix them Few more warmer sunny days ahead of the weekend. Hopefully the wide track with its crushed limestone will be good to go.
    Hope your trails have dried up nicely now?

As far as shipping the bike, depending how far north you are, have you thought about getting the bike shipped to someone in US and go on a weekend road trip to pick it up? I'm by Chicago if that helps
    I had thought about shipping it to a US address/pick-up service, but I'm about 5 hours from the US border... as it turned out, I bought the Fatboy 24 and am very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeZoo View Post
    I'm only 5 ft with a 27.5 in inseam and I'm leaning heavily toward the Mini-Sota 2.0 2015. I really wanted the Minnesota 2.0, 15" but the standover would kill me being too high and yet the option of Fattie Slims on the Minesota 2.0 for a versatile ride was so inviting. Now that I see you have done some mods and made the weight go down I'm really excited to order the Mini-Sota. I'm not too saavy on the equipment upgrades listed on the forum but I'm learning. Next is to get my husband thinking about a Fat Bike after I get mine! I see some big fun in my future! Thanks for posting the info!
    You go girl! You're going to love it. I'm similar height & proportion, and *so* happy I went with a kid-sized bike.

Our snowshoe/multiuse trails are softening in the sunshine, people have been walking without snowshoes on the snowpack so it's full of frozen foot-holes, and where the sun gets through the trees the slush would slides out unpredictably from under my tires. I came off so many times, but having the clearance over the top tube made all the difference in the world.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

You go girl! You're going to love it. I'm similar height & proportion, and *so* happy I went with a kid-sized bike.

Our snowshoe/multiuse trails are softening in the sunshine, people have been walking without snowshoes on the snowpack so it's full of frozen foot-holes, and where the sun gets through the trees the slush would slides out unpredictably from under my tires. I came off so many times, but having the clearance over the top tube made all the difference in the world.
    Thanks! I'm SO looking forward to the purchase. And now you've sealed it with me getting the correct standover height bike (as I really wanted the Minnesota 2.0 and the ability to use those Fattie Slims tires but it is what it is!). Happy Riding!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I'm in Canada too. We bought 2 3.0s, had them shipped to a Washington shipping company. Drove down and picked them up.

The only extra charge was GST as there is no PST on bikes. No brokerage fee as we did the import.

Edit: never mind, I see you bought a the Specialized 24 fat bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    I'm in Canada too. We bought 2 3.0s, had them shipped to a Washington shipping company. Drove down and picked them up.

The only extra charge was GST as there is no PST on bikes. No brokerage fee as we did the import.

Edit: never mind, I see you bought a the Specialized 24 fat bike.
    I did buy the Specialized 24" fatbike, but this is really useful info on cross-border shopping; thank-you very much

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Been doing the same thing with fat bike tire orders. Already picked up one set. Another set has been shipped so I'll be making another trip down there in the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Been doing the same thing with fat bike tire orders. Already picked up one set. Another set has been shipped so I'll be making another trip down there in the next week or so.
    Sweet! Even with the CAD-USD exchange rate what it is, it's a better deal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I updated the thread over on RatRodBikes on the Gravity Knockout I'm building. Pics clearly show the chain rub issues and im going to email them next week in regards to the tire rub issue with the 3.5" Captiv8ors on 80mm wheels

mtbr member
    On the knockout, how much does it weight? As much as a normal mountain bike, or is it in the 40lb category. I was thinking about getting one because the parts are a litle better than my dolomite, especially the rear axle and cartridge bottom bracket. I keep bending the dolo's axle. It seems I spend more time fixing it than riding it.

Also, if you have one setup or measured it at any time, how wide is the stock rear tire on the 50mm rims, how wide is the chainstay clearance? Any other rear tires you try out?
    Last edited by watts888; 03-30-2015 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Well Nashbar has discontinued the Big Ol Fat bike. No explanation. Wonder why? I heard they stop and start production somewhat randomly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Fatbikes under 00 bucks-10525892_1093466717345737_7345882926426633551_n.jpg

Here is our 8 year old granddaughter on her new Mini. I shortened the seat post and plan on redrilling and taping the cranksets to make them 150 mm length instead of the 170 they come as. She normally doesn't ride a full face helmet but she jumped off the snowmobile she was riding to try out her new fat bike. The mini is a quality product for the kids and I think a good value.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    Well Nashbar has discontinued the Big Ol Fat bike. No explanation. Wonder why? I heard they stop and start production somewhat randomly.
    Lack of sales probably. Big OL steel frame with big ol rims that have no weight reduction holes cut in them. The thing is a tank.

For the price they asked for that bike..$1100...a person would better off buying a Framed Minnesota for the same price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by akexpress View Post

Name:	10525892_1093466717345737_7345882926426633551_n.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	977120

Here is our 8 year old granddaughter on her new Mini. I shortened the seat post and plan on redrilling and taping the cranksets to make them 150 mm length instead of the 170 they come as. She normally doesn't ride a full face helmet but she jumped off the snowmobile she was riding to try out her new fat bike. The mini is a quality product for the kids and I think a good value.
    How Fun for her! So nice to see the kids playing outside...the old fashioned way! ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akexpress View Post

Name:	10525892_1093466717345737_7345882926426633551_n.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	977120

Awesome! She'll get a good few years out of that bike! I don't understand either why the Mini-sota comes with 170mm cranks instead of something more kid-sized.

Also... this thread has been moved/merged? May I ask why?

mtbr member
    FYI, if anyone still browsing the thread and thinking of purchasing one...

Mongoose Vinson All-Terrain Fat Bike - SportsAuthority.com

25% off, + free shipping, and add the 10% email sign up promo code. $391.59!
    That's killer savings. It takes a while for the email system to generate a code and the sale is only 12 hours. So call customer service and tell them to get you a code to apply for the email sign up or call them after you get the code via email and get a price adjustment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    it can be built to be in the low 30's easily..

BUT.... the chainstays WILL NOT CLEAR A 3.5" TIRE!

no f'ing way w/o modification..

another downside that I just realized today was that anything over a 160mm rear rotor will not clear the chainstay either.

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    On the knockout, how much does it weight? As much as a normal mountain bike, or is it in the 40lb category. I was thinking about getting one because the parts are a litle better than my dolomite, especially the rear axle and cartridge bottom bracket. I keep bending the dolo's axle. It seems I spend more time fixing it than riding it.

Also, if you have one setup or measured it at any time, how wide is the stock rear tire on the 50mm rims, how wide is the chainstay clearance? Any other rear tires you try out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member

old guy looking for answers/advice

Hi. New to site. New to fat bikes. I've done lots of research and think the Framed Minnesota 3.0 is the bike I need. But!!!
    I'm 55 yo 5'8" 250+ lbs
    Timber Faller, Arborist, Operator, Laborer, Truck driver and overall Alaska Hand. I've had some knee injuries in the past few years and some friends reccomended bicycling to help strengthen my knees and legs.
    I will use the bike on gravel roads and frozen snow go trails. We have 6-8 months of winter per year. 4 months of hard winter. Temps to the mid-60F . I want to ride into the mid-30F range. Some hills are long, some steep some rough or all the above.
    I want a 22 tooth or smaller front chain ring with a 36 tooth rear or larger.
    The 2.0+3.0 come with 28 tooth front gear. Truvative brand.
    Does anyone have experience changing these out. Are these brand specific?
    Thank you very much
    This looks like a great site and the perfect thread.
    Glen.

mtbr member
    Temperatures in the negative 60F? That's dang cold.

I wouldn't worry about changing gears quite yet. The 28/36 might push your limits if you're going up really steep climbs, but much lower and you start getting into the "too slow to stay up" speed. I have a bike with a 22T in rear, and the lowest I've ever gotten in back was the 32T cog, and I had to stop because I couldn't keep momentum to maintain balance over any trail obstacles. I'll probably swap to a 26T, and it'll be more than enough gearing for me. If you have snow and steep hills at the same time, you might need a 24T.

In regards to swapping, not too hard. You'll need to remove the crankset, but that's not too difficult, especially after watching a couple youtube videos. You probably want to stay within the same brand just to keep the spacing between chainrings and alignment of shift ramps the same. And the price between the different brands isn't that much if you get their base level ones. Normally in the $10-$15 range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Hi. New to site. New to fat bikes. I've done lots of research and think the Framed Minnesota 3.0 is the bike I need. But!!!
    I'm 55 yo 5'8" 250+ lbs
    Timber Faller, Arborist, Operator, Laborer, Truck driver and overall Alaska Hand. I've had some knee injuries in the past few years and some friends reccomended bicycling to help strengthen my knees and legs.
    I will use the bike on gravel roads and frozen snow go trails. We have 6-8 months of winter per year. 4 months of hard winter. Temps to the mid-60F . I want to ride into the mid-30F range. Some hills are long, some steep some rough or all the above.
    I want a 22 tooth or smaller front chain ring with a 36 tooth rear or larger.
    The 2.0+3.0 come with 28 tooth front gear. Truvative brand.
    Does anyone have experience changing these out. Are these brand specific?
    Thank you very much
    This looks like a great site and the perfect thread.
    Glen.
    My friend bought the 3.0 XWT....need wider tires for floating on top of loose snow. He also had a problem with gearing too high with the 28 tooth chain ring. He bought a 22 replacement from price point.com for about $4.00! He had to remove the crankarm to install it, so he had the bike shop make the switch for him. Good Luck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thank you. The reason I am thinking to go 22 tooth front is that's what a lot of fat bikes I've researched have. My wife's mt bk has 28 tooth front small ring and I consider it too tall geared for what I'm wanting to accomplish. The F@R has 22 tooth front and 32 tooth rear. Going slow is fine with me. As long as I can stay up. I will spend lots of time on close woods snow go trails. I would get a Motobecane Boris, it has the gearing that I want. But the web site says they are sold out. The Fantom FB5 2.0 looks about ideal. But I have to add $150.00 to the price for shipping.

When I'm at the LBS, I'll see what I can find. Lots of bike shops in Anchorage.

mtbr member
    Ok. Great thank y'all! The 3.0 will take up to 4.8" iirc. Will probably upgrade to Bulldozers or Snowshoes asap and keep the oem tires for summer and spares.

mtbr member
    Here's a question borne of ignorance, . With these modern bike derailleurs , can I shift and ride regularly thru the entire rear cassette?
    When I was in my teens I had a Reliegh Grand Prix 10 speed. I remember being told by the lbs that I was only suppose to shift half way down the cassette when on the small front ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here's a question borne of ignorance, . With these modern bike derailleurs , can I shift and ride regularly thru the entire rear cassette?
    When I was in my teens I had a Reliegh Grand Prix 10 speed. I remember being told by the lbs that I was only suppose to shift half way down the cassette when on the small front ring.
    That's not so much an ignorant question....I'm not the best person to answer this question with a technical answer, but it all boils down to chain angle...and for this is the reason I LOVE my 1x10 gearing setup.... On my Nephew's Specialized Hot Rock, which is a 3x7, there are some gearing combinations that make noise and the chain constantly what's to move and the derailleur has to hold it in place causing more friction on the chain and makes riding it a bit of a PITA..... 1x10, 1x11 or 2x10 is THE WAY TO GO if you don't want to go with an IGH (Integrated Geared Hub).

mtbr member
    Short answer, it's fine to be in the same ring up front for all your gears in back.

Long answer. You really don't want to cross-chain too much because it will cause some additional wear, the drivetrain will be noisy, and you might not have the precise shifting you should get, especially if you're small ring to small ring or large to large. The middle ring up front should line up with the middle ring in back (ie, good chainline), and this position should be able to shift through the whole range in back no problem. Mountain bike chains allow an aweful lot of sideways bend, unlike older road chains.
    Last edited by watts888; 08-05-2015 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks! The bikes I'm interested in have 29 or 210 gearing. The only use I have for a front chain ring larger than 36 tooth is as a bash ring :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok thanks! The bikes I'm interested in have 29 or 210 gearing. The only use I have for a front chain ring larger than 36 tooth is as a bash ring :-)
    go with a 10 speed rear hub....LOTS of derailleur and shifter options for 10 speeds that are good stuff. I went with a Sram X9 trigger shifter (10 speed) and a Sram X7 Type 2.1 derailleur and my bike shifts like a dream....it shifts ALMOST as effortlessly as my Origin 8 Crawler with Nuvinci N360 hub. (which new Origin8 Crawlers are now in the sub 1000 price range)

mtbr member
    The problem I have with the Crawler is the hub tyranny is reported to betoo high geared for what I'm after. I'm really after the low low 22 tooth front. Lots of hills in my future.

I have now expanded.my list of bikes to the KHS 4 Season, 500+1000

And the Norco Bigfoot 6.2 and the base model 6.3.

There are LBS that have them in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The problem I have with the Crawler is the hub tyranny is reported to betoo high geared for what I'm after. I'm really after the low low 22 tooth front. Lots of hills in my future.

The Crawler may not have the right gearing for your application.....If you've got alot of hills, look at overall weight too......

The KHS 4 Season may be a nice bike when outfitted with high quality components; but in my opinion, it's drastically over priced for how it comes outfitted....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Check out the bikesdirect.com Boris line. They are totally identical to the khs at half the price. When I bought mine, the stem and seatpost had the khs logo on it. Check out the specs.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Ok. Thank.you. My choices at this point are the Minnesota 2.0+3.0
    The KHS 500+1000
    The Origin8 Maxi
    The Norco Bigfoot.
    That are instock in Anchorage and Wasilla.
    My problem with the 2.0+3.0 is I will need to change the small front ring before I start riding it.
    I like the look of the KHS + Bigfoot and those and the Maxi have good brazeons for rear racks.
    I do wonder how important the rear thru axle is. I plan on maxing out the hauling weight on a regular basis. ?????????
    And, I Do Not Want hydraulic brakes!!

mtbr member
    I would have already ordered the Boris but they are out of stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would have already ordered the Boris but they are out of stock.
    Check back, they've had a whole new shipment and another coming in.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I live too far from the cities to get in on the deals. If I wanted t spend 1k$ more then I would b in smooth sailing. But I'm frugal. The Minn 2.0 is prolly what I will get if the lbs has my size instock.

mtbr member
    If not then the 3.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm not familiar with the Origin8 Maxi.....have a link?

mtbr member
    My mistake, it is the charge Cooker Maxi.
    But it appears to have 135 offset hubs. And not much for rack brazeons.

mtbr member
    Well, in keeping with the under $1,000 theme of this thread.
    I got a Boris yesterday. Found it on Craigslist. Lightly used (125ish) miles with a bunch of extras for $804.00 . That's what I had in my wallet. Its a 15" so it fits my wife perfect and me good enough to ride until I get the bike I want in my size which I found is 17". But, that bike is lots more than 1k$.
    I'm VERY happy to find this bike, at this time. And saved some money

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast