mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fatbikes at Schweitzer Race

Yesterday was the second of three in the Cougar Gulch Cross Country race series. The short 5-10km loops were impeccably groomed and the conditions were perfect. There were 19 fatbikes and everyone had a blast. More trails than usual were open to the bikes so just about everyone stuck around for more miles afterwards. The MLK weekend made for a crowded resort center but the Deschutes Brewery wagon made it worth wading through all of the sliders (skiers and snowboarders).
    The next race is February 22nd and is planned to be a scavenger hunt on the whole trail system. This may be the only chance to ride many of these trails this season so come up and play if you can make it.
    It may be worth us fatbikers to contact Schweitzer to see if they would consider letting bikes on the whole system at least on Sundays through Thursdays until they figure out that we want to come up and spend money as much as the skiers.
    From this race I can tell you the writing is on the wall, just like the skier/snowboarder dichotomy twenty years ago, that it won't be too long before there are more fatbikes than skiers on these trails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    There is nothing on Schweitzer's page about this. Where do we get the info?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For the race I searched under "Cougar Gulch Cross Country Ski Race Series", or some portion of that. Schweitzer was great about getting me information when I called the ski lesson phone number. Also Out There Monthly magazine runs big ads for them.