mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fatbikes & riding in Vermont

I know its been a pretty bad year for snow in a lot of places this year so I was just wondering if there is much snow & anyone doing any riding up that way ?(worth the drive up from NE PA ? ) We have had only 2 storms this year & the snows is all gone After last year were we had a solid 4 months of cold & snow & lots of snow riding I really need to get on some snowy trails soon( HELP) KP

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I live right outside of Burlington and there's almost nothing on the ground. Most of our trails here get used year-round so all the foot/bike traffic packed out what snow we had. Several rain days since and most trails are now glare ice. Bring the studded tires! We've been riding but it's a different kind of challenge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Fatbiking NH

I just did a 4 hour loop this weekend in Bartlett, NH that rocks. It is a multi-use trail, but it is groomed and used mainly by snowmobilers. They were very cool to me, but you need to be aware and stay to the side. Definitely worth it. Plenty of snow. If you need more details, post here and I can get them to you...

Moderator Moderator
    Central VT snowmobile trails are running really fast & fun right now. I have seen some non-fatbikes out on them too. Mostly super hardpacked snow. Not many sleds out because of the thin coverage. I'm in Barre, you can see the trail network on the VT VAST website. Groton State Forest (the biggest one in VT) would be fun and has some scenic scenery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyzen View Post
    I just did a 4 hour loop this weekend in Bartlett, NH that rocks. It is a multi-use trail, but it is groomed and used mainly by snowmobilers. They were very cool to me, but you need to be aware and stay to the side. Definitely worth it. Plenty of snow. If you need more details, post here and I can get them to you...
    I'd be interested to have more details. I'm in Quebec, just north of the border where unfortubately, multi use trail do not exist. I'd certainly drive to NH for a 4h ride!

Thanks.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I don't ride a fatbike but the trail report from Maine (Sebago lakes region) is 2-4" of hard packed powder. If I had a fatbike I'd be using it on the trails right now. It's 43F here today with no snow in the forecast so things should harden up by the weekend. This is the warmest forecast day in the week so I don't expect to loose much snow either. Because of the relatively little snow there aren't that many snowmobiles out to watch out for which is nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Hampshire

Flambert33, the riding was perfect both days this past weekend in Bartlett. I highly recommend it. There is plenty of snow and the trail is groomed. The forecast looks warm the next few days. Not warm enough to melt all the snow, but it will probably be a little too soft after the snow machines track it up. If I were driving down from Quebec, I would pick a day when the temperatures are consistently below zero C for a firmer ride.

This website has the details and a map. Let me know when you come down, maybe I will join you out there!

White Mountain Trail Club

mtbr member
    We're riding single track here in the Kingdom. These photos were taken over the past couple of weekends. There's no doubt, there's less snow than usual here. Still, my buddy and i have a nice 2 hour loop of singletrack that'll keep anyone with a fat bike happy. If there were a few more of us up here we'd have more, but we can only keep so much of it packed and rideable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes & riding in Vermont-imageuploadedbytapatalk1328567238.927143.jpg  

Fatbikes & riding in Vermont-imageuploadedbytapatalk1328567363.878663.jpg  

-Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Bartlett NH

I just noticed that the White Mt Trail club put a photo of me from this past weekend up on their facebook page. These guys are awesome. They groom 50 miles of trails and are psyched to see fatbikes out there enjoying it. This photo will give you an idea of the conditions in case you are planning to make the trip.

white mountain Trail Club - Photos | Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bennington, VT

No snow in town and 10 minutes out of town, Woodford is all ice. Cold air for the next week but no snow in the forecast. On the plus side, plenty of hard packed dirt to go for a spin and no need to clean the bike after.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lennyzen, thanks for the info and links. It looks like a great trail network. I'll definitively plan a drive down to Bartlett to explore it. I'll try to shot you a PM before. Maybe we could meet. Thanks.

You guys are so lucky to have multi use trails. Here in QC we have a "it's MY trails only" attitude. No one wants to share there trails. Plus we have a very stupid civil code (imho) but that's a whole other debate!! Good thing I have a passport and live close to the land of the free!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

New VT Fatbiker + Winterbike March 10th at Kingdom Trails

Bolton Valley, VT here... First post.

My first fatbike is on the way. Shipping right now from Montana (2009 Pugsley off craigslist).

I rode last night on hard-packed groomers that are part of the XC ski network here. It is a glacial base right now. Very easy to ride on with my normal mountain bike. If you get up to 1500' and above, there is snow and a decent base. If it stays cold enough and we get some powder on top, it would make for ideal fatbike riding. The VAST trail is quite good at higher elevations but my friend said he saw a "no bikes" sign on one of the trails.

I wanted to introduce myself and also post this: (well it wouldn't let me post a link because ,10 posts so search Winterbike on VMBA or Facebook).

Kingdom Trails is doing a "Winterbike" event Saturday March 10th.

Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode Mud Pond loops last night in 2" of fresh snow. It was great riding. Headed to Stowe to scout Kimmers Trail post-workday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We rode Mud Pond last Wednesday and it was glare ice. Good conditions now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mud pond was great last night - 2" of fresh snow - no ice. Even cleared the crooked bridge w/o coming off the pedals. I don't know if today had any impact on the conditions as it did warm up to near above freezing. No glare ice last night - not a patch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool! Thanks. I'll check it out this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We had 2 feet of snow up in Stowe on Saturday. Compacted a good bit now, but still probably too deep to wander off the snow-machine tracks. Finally some snow for XC skiing (sadly, I have no fat bike)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Went to Moscow on Sat morning to ride my new Moonlander. Over 10 inches of snow, luckily a sinlge snowmobile had broken the trail. Its was still slow going since it was still soft and it was snowing the entire time I was out. Did 2 hours of riding and pushing the bike up the steep pitches. Coming back I was passed by a group of machines, so the riding improved.

I did learn that in those whiteout conditions on snowmobile trails, I need to have front & back lights. I could hear them coming, but I'm sure they had a hard time seeing me. Luckily they were going slow and I got off the bike and moved to the side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am scoping out Mud Pond, Sunny Hollow, and Mobbs Valley today. These single track trails are all at lower elevations and will have 1-4" on them. I have a Pugsley with a Nate on the rear - it has been a blast on these lightly coated singletrack trails. My friend has a MukLuk - we are only about 2 months into owning the fatties. It would be cool to get some VT fatbike rides organized. I wonder if VTMBR or FoTW would get snarly with us using the trails in the snow - or if we could negotiate with them "fatbike only" days or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

How are conditions in Kingdom Trails?

We have a group of bikes from Ottawa, Ontario heading down to Burke for the Winterfest on March 10th. Should be a hoot. How are the trails lately? Lots of snow? We just got a big dump last Friday and are expecting an equal amount over the next two days. Our local MTB trails are a snowshoe & dog walking hotspot in winter so they get packed down quickly, no skiers or snowmachines though.
    Last edited by SRALPH; 02-28-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nothing doing in BTV area.
    Was out on the Fargo with studs this weekend.

Posted up last year about a potential VT Fatbike meetup that I wanted to organize with some friends at Old Spokes Home. With lack of snow (local) and me overwhelmed with our second little one - its not been a high priority.

Would love to have a BTV area meetup. I'm usually out Sunday mornings. Dirt road or playing in the Intervale / HS woods / Sunny Hollow / etc.

Will watch for a report on Sunny Hollow. Almost went over their Sunday, but got a late start.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    We have a group of bikes from Ottawa, Ontario heading down to Burke for the Winterfest on March 10th. Should be a hoot. How are the trails lately? Lots of snow? We just got a big dump last Friday and are expecting an equal amount over the next two days. Our local MTB trails are a snowshoe & dog walking hotspot in winter so they get packed down quickly, no skiers or snowmachines though.
    It will be day-to-day, as they got 9 or 10" over the weekend, more coming Wed night/ Thurs, but I think rain is forecast for this weekend. The Burke Mtn/Kingdom Trails nordic site has good info....Nordic Trail Conditions : Kingdom Trails Association
    If conditions allow, I believe they plan to use the same route as the Sled Dog Dash that is this weekend at Dashney Farm.

In Barre where I am, snowmo trails were good Monday, but it's been blowing and a little snow, so open areas are likely drifted for my bikecommute tomorrow. Usually not much machine traffic or packing until the weekends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Past few days in VT

I have had some great rides in VT recently. Here is an album of some of the photos:

'imgur.com/a/YAug3' (Sorry can't link or add photos yet because it is a new account)

Little River State Park
    Mobbs Valley / Hill and Mill Brook
    Sunny Hollow
    VAST Trail

Have found that starting high and moving to lower elevations is the best bet when looking for good snow for VT fatbiking. High stuff can be too deep, low stuff can be too icy.

See you all at Winterbike in Burke?

Matt