mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here. Are Fatbikes for me?

Hi fatbikers!

Even though I know very little about fatbikes, I can't get my mind away from the idea of getting one. I just fell in love with the thing, I can't explain it. But is it really for me? For starters, consider the fact that it doesn't snow where I live, and not within 1000 miles either...

I have 2 mtb's and 1 road bike. What I really like to ride are mountain XC trails. I like the challenge of uphill ascents and great scenery that comes with it. I occasionaly race just for the fun of it. I like to ride long, endurance is my game. I'm kind of scared by the technical terrain.

What do I know about fatbikes? They're heavy and have big wheels, ha! AND they were made for snow and sand riding. But how do they handle on your regular XC trail? If I take it out on a +40mile trail am I going to want to kill myself with regret? I don't plan to compete with it, mind you, but am I going to be significantly slower that I have to hand pick rides I won't get dropped? The wife just barely tolerates me with 3 bikes on the condo. I can't afford to have a bike collecting dust or restricted to very narrow occasions like muddy rain conditions. Oh, does it ride decently on mud, because I was kind of expecting that...

cheers

CS2
    mtbr member
    I've been asking that for 2 years. A good friend just bought a Specialized Fatboy Expert. I haven't ridden it because I know I might buy one.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Yes. No. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They are for you....but don't buy one.

mtbr member
    But seriously... Are they for you? maybe.

I'm a roadie, my fatbike is my only mountain bike. I also hate riding with other people. And I live in a state where snow is gonna happen, but that snow isn't gonna be good for skiing most of the time. And, I have limited time to ride in the winter, maybe once or twice a week. So I need a bike that can handle whatever is out there right now. Mud, sleet, slush, snow, etc.

So, to me, all MTBs are slow and heavy, what's the big deal if the one I have is slightly slower and heavier? And since I never ride with other people, I don't have to worry about being faster or slower than anyone else. I like having a bike that I can ride pretty much whenever I want.

Will you be slower? don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

Will you regret it? that's up to you.

Go rent one, try it out and let us know if you'll really like it. But if you don't like it, do everyone a favor and don't decide that because it didn't work for you, the premise of fatbikes is flawed.

mtbr member

Are Fatbikes for me?

Buckfiddious has it on the nail!

I'm between fat bikes at the moment and can't wait for my new one to arrive. My old Pugsley was a great all round bike, fun from the first ride and great Ina all conditions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endlesscycle View Post

Even though I know very little about fatbikes, I can't get my mind away from the idea of getting one. I just fell in love with the thing, I can't explain it. But is it really for me? For starters, consider the fact that it doesn't snow where I live, and not within 1000 miles either...

I have 2 mtb's and 1 road bike. What I really like to ride are mountain XC trails. I like the challenge of uphill ascents and great scenery that comes with it. I occasionaly race just for the fun of it. I like to ride long, endurance is my game. I'm kind of scared by the technical terrain.

What do I know about fatbikes? They're heavy and have big wheels, ha! AND they were made for snow and sand riding. But how do they handle on your regular XC trail? If I take it out on a +40mile trail am I going to want to kill myself with regret? I don't plan to compete with it, mind you, but am I going to be significantly slower that I have to hand pick rides I won't get dropped? The wife just barely tolerates me with 3 bikes on the condo. I can't afford to have a bike collecting dust or restricted to very narrow occasions like muddy rain conditions. Oh, does it ride decently on mud, because I was kind of expecting that...

cheers
    There's nothing in your post that leads me to believe you'd want a fatbike for the riding you do.

I would definitely get your hands on one and try it before you buy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by endlesscycle View Post
    Hi fatbikers!

So, I tend to agree with Vik that you sound nothing like someone who needs a fatbike. You already have bikes suited for the purpose that you've expressed, and don't have the requirements for snow/sand/extra traction/etc that a fat bike would give.

All bikes are compromises. The fat bike is a great off-road bike for all kinds of conditions, but it is not as good as specific bikes for certain conditions. I'm like buckfiddious-- I have a road bike and now a fat-bike. It's my only "off-road" bike. It's slower than a XC race 29er, I'm sure. It's not able to handle ultra-technical terrain as well as a FS rig (but I don't want to ride that terrain, anyway). I ride solo mostly and so for me, it's a great bike.

You don't sound like you're in a similar situation, however.

mtbr member
    I live in So-cal and I have a really nice Yeti MTB, and an Intense. We have the beach, but its not going to snow anywhere near me. I ride mostly hard packed trails, some of them are pretty rocky. But I ride my fat bike all the time because its just fun. I don't need it. But sure am glad I have it! Its for sure slower, and its 23 pounds heavier than my Yeti, but its gets ridden just as much as the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Don't forget the "fun factor". In the winter I ride it exclusively, but in the summer I like to ride it once in a while just to enjoy the ride. It is so different to see that big wheel out in front of you; and everyone who sees you is so shocked to see what you are riding! Fats are just fun.

mtbr member
    yes fatbikes are ok but do NOT test ride one with surly endomorph tires if you can help it

they make it steer like a bus with a busted tie rod

----
    almost any other tire is better feel than endomorph

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have owned a Mukluk from a year and a half now. It hardly snows where I live. It's fun in the snow, but it's tons of fun on the beach If I lived where you do, I would not pass it up. And I live about 90 minutes from the beach, but it is still worthwhile to own. I also use it on the trails and around town with my kids.
    It's my only mountain bike.
    If you have a chance to rent one to ride on the beach for the day, that may help with your decision.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    yes fatbikes are ok but do NOT test ride one with surly endomorph tires if you can help it

they make it steer like a bus with a busted tie rod

----
    almost any other tire is better feel than endomorph
    +1 An Endomorph on the front handles very oddly. My Pugs mostly hung from the garage rafters for a few years because I didn't care for the handling.
    I upgraded to a Nate in the front and its a very different beast and alot of fun.

Many people ride fat bikes year round in all kinds of terrain. Some find them faster than their other MTBs others find them much slower. Most seem to find them only slightly slower on most trails. Many people find fat bikes to be so much fun on trails that it doesn't matter if they are slower are not.
    If you buy a fat bike believing the worst hype or looking to ride faster than you currently do then you will be disappointed. If you are just looking for something different and want to have fun fooling around on a pretty effective MTB then you will likely have a big smile.

Craig

mtbr member
    I agree with vikb. Based on your profile of where you live, and how you like to ride...I am going to say no. For what you want to do, a fat bike may just frustrate you with slower speeds and a heavier bike.
    If you dont want to get muddy, or sandy, or snowy....save the money and stick to your xc bike
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have been riding off road regularly for 28 years now. I got my first fatbike 5 years ago, (Pug) and rode it exclusively in the winter for the first 4 years. Last year I got a Fatback and when spring came continued to ride it. I am not the fastest guy in the pack and was worried about group rides but it didn't seem to slow me down. It is for superior for real technical climbs to anything I have owned. Some disadvantage on real rough fast descents but all around the most fun bike I own. In fact I don't ride my FS bike anymore. Get one...have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You might want to think about a fat bike with 29er+ tires if you desire a little more tire girth. I recently picked up some 29er+ wheels for my pug and am really enjoying them when the ground is frozen with little or not snow. If you get a fat frame and 29er+ wheels, you can always go full fat later if you desire more cush.