mtbr member
    Mar 2011

fatbike workstand

I'm going to buy a workstand but want one stable enough to hold my Mukluk.What do you guys use?

is buachail foighneach me
    Any workstand should be stable enough. Downhill bikes, walmart bikes and tandems go in the regular workstands in bike shops all the time. Unless your bike weighs 80 lbs, it shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Any workstand should be stable enough. Downhill bikes, walmart bikes and tandems go in the regular workstands in bike shops all the time. Unless your bike weighs 80 lbs, it shouldn't be a problem.
    +1 - I use a 15yr old park stand...no problemo...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I did a lot or research before buying a Park PRS 23. The base is sold separately and expensive, so I made one out of plywood. It works well.

I like four major things about the stand. 1) It's portable. 2) It doesn't take up much floor space. 3 ) It's good quality. 4) I can sit in a chair working on my bike and spin it 360 degrees which is really nice. Park makes a true portable version called the PRS 20, but in my opinion the 23 is a better unit. No offense to anyone who has one of course.

The only downside is you need to remove either the front or rear tire, but in practice it's really not a negative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fatbike workstand-dscf2928.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have a older version of the Ultimate stand. When i clamp my mukluk by the seat tube I can not turn the pedals without the pedal nearest the stand hitting it. The weight of the bike causes it to flex enough to cause this.

Down hill bikes and a 40lb old steel Schwinn do not have this problem because of their slightly narrower bottom bracket widths.

I am not sure if the newer versions of this stand are the same.

Rednose/Greenback
    There is a fair amount of useful info on the Tool Time forum. It's worth having a look. Based on other reviews, I opted to get a Feedback Sports Pro Elite through REI. It was either that or a Park. The opportunity to compare them side by side let me see that I preferred the Feedback's clamp system. The base weighed less than the Park but felt sturdier. It's portable and comes with a travel sack. I'd say be thorough, do your research and compare products in person.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I bought a BBB workstand that i am very pleased with.
    It doesn't require removal or fixing of the wheels, and you have full use of the drivetrain.
    The BB support is 56mm wide, and you can keep the frontwheel in place while working.
    (Just like Suba, i like to sit and roll around it on a chair while working)
    While building up the Pugs at a friends place, we used his ceiling mounted rope, pulley and hook system.
    I can't say that i like to work on a swinging bike in mid air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fatbike workstand-21112011624.jpg  

fatbike workstand-21112011625.jpg  

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have a older version of the Ultimate stand. When i clamp my mukluk by the seat tube I can not turn the pedals without the pedal nearest the stand hitting it. The weight of the bike causes it to flex enough to cause this.

Down hill bikes and a 40lb old steel Schwinn do not have this problem because of their slightly narrower bottom bracket widths.

I stand corrected. So much for it being the Ultimate stand....

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post
    There is a fair amount of useful info on the Tool Time forum. It's worth having a look. Based on other reviews, I opted to get a Feedback Sports Pro Elite through REI. It was either that or a Park. The opportunity to compare them side by side let me see that I preferred the Feedback's clamp system. The base weighed less than the Park but felt sturdier. It's portable and comes with a travel sack. I'd say be thorough, do your research and compare products in person.
    Feedback is the new Ultimate - just a note. I have an older Ultimate, but updated with the Pro Elite clamp (push button release is nice). I hang the Fatback from it w/o problems. It can even grab the 2" frame on my Challenge Hurricane recumbent - which is why I upgraded the clamp. You can adjust the height of the clamp, rotate the clamp and rotate the whole thing around the base. The tripod base even works well out in the boonies on uneven ground. Folds up small for travel/storage as well.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Feedback is the new Ultimate - just a note. I have an older Ultimate, but updated with the Pro Elite clamp (push button release is nice). I hang the Fatback from it w/o problems. It can even grab the 2" frame on my Challenge Hurricane recumbent - which is why I upgraded the clamp. You can adjust the height of the clamp, rotate the clamp and rotate the whole thing around the base. The tripod base even works well out in the boonies on uneven ground. Folds up small for travel/storage as well.
    good to know about the clamp up grade. I have always wished the clamp was quicker to clamp and release. Screwing it all the way in and out is alot of work when you are holding a heavy bike in the other hand.

I do like the tri pod design for traveling and uneven surfaces. Long ago I had a solid base Park shop level stand which I really loved, but it was stolen from me and replaced with the Ultimate. I am still keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a sturdy and heavy stand for the home shop.

mtbr member

This photo begs many other questions.
    Are two sets of bar ends on the Jones bar better than one?
    Two tail lights better than one?
    Is that saddle far enough back?
    Is your other bike a recumbent?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Do y'all think a Park PCS-10 would accomodate a Pugsley and be able to fully spin the crank?