Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33

    Fatbike Touring Gear

    Hi,

    I have an original Pugs (without the dropped top tube).

    I have been doing some touring with it and have racks set-up front and rear.

    I am looking into panniers and frame bags. I thought there might be some threads on it or I might get some advice in this thread.

    I'm also interested in what people are using for shelter. I am looking at solo tents/bivys but I thought there might be something that you all might know before I start making purchases that may help with my decision.

    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586

    Fatbike Touring Gear

    The cool thing to do is ditch the racks and go with frame packs. Anything cages on the fork with a stuff sac holds a lot of stuff too. Google frame packs, you'll come up with something.

    Also, I'm a fan of camping in hammocks.


    "You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Thanks, I have seen the frame packs but I need to haul more than that. I thought there might be a thread where people posted pics of their setups and whatnot. I will def check out the anything cages. Problem with a hammock for me is a lot of the touring I want to do is on beaches.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr.Zoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    732

    RE: Fatbike Touring Gear

    There's a blog about fat bikes, try googling pugsley and rondo. There are fully decked out pugs pics.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vaultbrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    789
    I like the ortleib panniers that I have. Solid and simple. My experience involved cramming them full for commuting. I wouldnt hesitate to tour with them.

  6. #6
    JYB
    JYB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    The cool thing to do is ditch the racks and go with frame packs. Anything cages on the fork with a stuff sac holds a lot of stuff too. Google frame packs, you'll come up with something.

    Also, I'm a fan of camping in hammocks.


    "You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"
    I couldn't agree more with Schott. I use Revelate Designs bags (Revelate Designs LLC), and they are awesome! I also love sleeping in hammocks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735

    Fatbike Touring Gear

    Tons of info on bikepacking.net.

    Many people who contribute here are sharing info there, but in more detail.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    Thanks, I have seen the frame packs but I need to haul more than that. I thought there might be a thread where people posted pics of their setups and whatnot. I will def check out the anything cages. Problem with a hammock for me is a lot of the touring I want to do is on beaches.
    If that's the case, a couple of trekking poles and a tarp would do you just fine, plus your chosen sleeping bag, etc. Few lengths of twine or whatever and some tent pegs and your good to go. But a bivy works, too.

    I do the tarp/hammock thing and quite prefer it to a tent.

    I use a rack since that's what I already have, and as you mentioned, you can carry a bit more. I also have a BoB if I really need to haul some stuff.

    Bags are Ortleibs I picked up second-hand, sometimes combine that with a trunk bag, too. Gone across country and have seen a ton of commuting miles. Their bags are fantastic.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Schott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    586

    Fatbike Touring Gear

    If I can't talk you out of panniers, my advice is go with a waterproof bag vs one that comes with a rain cover. I also prefer big and stuff-able roll tops as opposed to lots of small compartments. Zippers weigh a lot.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    Hi,

    I have an original Pugs (without the dropped top tube).

    I have been doing some touring with it and have racks set-up front and rear.

    I am looking into panniers and frame bags. I thought there might be some threads on it or I might get some advice in this thread.

    I'm also interested in what people are using for shelter. I am looking at solo tents/bivys but I thought there might be something that you all might know before I start making purchases that may help with my decision.

    Thanks,
    Matt



    My Pugs with Porcelain Rocket bags.

    Highly recommend if you are doing any real offroad touring and if you are hitting trails you will really appreciate not running racks + panniers.



    Hybrid setup with OMM rear rack + Ortlieb panniers + Porcelain Rocket framebag.

    Good for smooth terrain. Not good for rough stuff.



    Dual OMM racks + Ortlieb panniers.

    Not really recommended unless absolutely necessary. Not much fun to ride on anything, but smooth surfaces.



    Custom fat-trailer for epic hauling...



    Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 - good light tent for 2 people.



    Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 - good light tent for solo trips. As light as a bivi, but far more comfortable and better in the rain.

    BTW - other than possibly racks there is nothing special about bikepacking/touring with a fatbike vs. a normal mountain bike in terms of gear/bags/tents/etc... so you might want to go check out the MTBR bikepacking forum and/or bikepacking.net
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    Wow great info. Im going to look up the porcelain products. The racks came with the pugs when I bought it used and they were custom made, yet I do see your point on ditching racks for any trail riding. That trailer is insane.

    Ortlieb products look intriguing. I have an Ortlieb bag for my kayak.

    Big and stuffable roll tops - I'll look into those.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spidennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    109

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post


    Custom fat-trailer for epic hauling...

    a bit of a drift here but ..... about this trailer!
    What do you tug along in that?
    Also, the bike/hitch connection? Does that turn at all?
    I live on the beach, ready to get a fatbike at the next chance ....
    and I need to yank around a trailer/dolly sooooooo
    when I see something like this I got to ask about it!
    btw, great pics of your gear ...... drool ...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    33
    I looked up those Porcelain bags - very very nice. Hurts the wallet though!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,906
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    a bit of a drift here but ..... about this trailer!
    What do you tug along in that?
    Also, the bike/hitch connection? Does that turn at all?
    I live on the beach, ready to get a fatbike at the next chance ....
    and I need to yank around a trailer/dolly sooooooo
    when I see something like this I got to ask about it!
    btw, great pics of your gear ...... drool ...
    You can start with a seadoo trailer and customize it to meet your needs. There is nothing off the shelf like this so you need to be handy with your tools.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    How tall you are and how big your Pug frame is will have an impact on if rack-less setup works good for you or not as well. I have the newer 16" Pug and Troll and am 5'6" (and shrinking). The rack-less setup did not hold enough for myself with the small frame bag, small Revelate Pika seatbag and handlebar sling/drybag. I switched to racks and panniers with racktop drybags. For myself, much better with the racks. Laterally strap the panniers to the racks for extra control on rough terrain. Worked great for 100 miles of mixed terrain. On my Troll I use Bontrager racks on both ends, Jandd mini mtn panniers with internal drybags, general drybags racktop front and rear, custom frame bag, Revelate gas tank, no backpack (heat intolerance for me). I do not expand the Jandd panniers and such they don't extend outward past my leg width.

    Small frame and stature along with no backpack make rack-less less than ideal for me is the short of my long winded preference.

  16. #16
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,462
    ^^ Turtle makes a good point for the smaller people/frames. Small rear panniers (so I don't over-pack) with a drybag in each side worked well for me, along with that Revelate handlebar harness thingy. Just grab the drybags at the campsite and leave the panniers on the bike. They kept my stuff dry in bad weather and stream crossings, and were also handy to hang food away from the bears.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OFFcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    How tall you are and how big your Pug frame is will have an impact on if rack-less setup works good for you or not as well. I have the newer 16" Pug and Troll and am 5'6" (and shrinking). The rack-less setup did not hold enough for myself with the small frame bag, small Revelate Pika seatbag and handlebar sling/drybag. I switched to racks and panniers with racktop drybags. For myself, much better with the racks. Laterally strap the panniers to the racks for extra control on rough terrain. Worked great for 100 miles of mixed terrain. On my Troll I use Bontrager racks on both ends, Jandd mini mtn panniers with internal drybags, general drybags racktop front and rear, custom frame bag, Revelate gas tank, no backpack (heat intolerance for me). I do not expand the Jandd panniers and such they don't extend outward past my leg width.

    Small frame and stature along with no backpack make rack-less less than ideal for me is the short of my long winded preference.
    Yeah as much as I love my RD Viscacha when it's fully loaded I have to take it easy on bumps or it hits my rear wheel (or duct tape the bottom of the bag cause taking it easy is not fun), I'm only 5'6" and imagine it's only an issue on small frames, fully loaded like below...

    Fatbike Touring Gear-p1010011.jpg

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,284
    I reenforced mine with shoe goo rather than duct tape...more robust and permanent IMHO...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,906


    One thing I love about my old style Pugs is the high TT. I've never hit the boyz despite lots of deep snow or sand and it means a big frame bag which is nice.

    However, the bike I tour with the most these days is my Krampus which has a tiny frame bag by comparison.



    That makes selecting gear and keeping things minimal key. In some ways it's a good thing because it really forces me to be critical about what I pack.

    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Similar Threads

  1. New Fatbike Build (LBS or experienced FatBike shop)
    By synthesis in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 02:56 AM
  2. Muk for touring?
    By petey15 in forum Salsa
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 05:12 AM
  4. Touring mtb vs touring bike
    By windhorze in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
  5. Touring
    By BikeToAustralia in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •