Thread: Fatbike Lust!

mtbr member

Fatbike Lust!

I have been drooling and lusting over fat bikes for some time. I had never seen one up close and personal before, with the exception of a fleeting glance as I was leaving a parking lot one day, but this weekend sealed the deal for me!

While riding one of the local trails, our group was overtaken by an older gent on a hot looking Mukluk 3. He stopped, we talked, the whole time, not being able to take my eyes off his bike). Now i'm done for! I live in a part of NC where we have no sand and almost no snow, but I don't care! I want one!

...thanks for listening (and feel free to shoot me a PM if you are looking to unload or upgrade your fatty - I promise i'll give it a good home). Now I just need to convince my wife that I need another bike....

Black Sheep rising
    We had the Expo for the MMBA (Michigan Mountain Biking Association) this past weekend at the MSU Pavillion. In the building is a large dirt arena where we built a pump track, some dirt jumps, and a small XC "trail" around the other features. Of course, I brought my fat bike.

I rode it around a couple of times, then offered it up (yes, I pimped out my Carver ) to whoever wanted a spin. Many took me up on it, and were very impressed with how much fun it was. I fully expect Michigan will see a few more fatbike sales next year. The grins were pretty telling, and contagious.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought a Pugsley in spite of living in Raleigh where we have no snow or sand. I was hooked after I took a test ride on one a couple of months ago.

It's maiden voyage was yesterday and I had a blast. My only regret is not buying one sooner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    do it!
    beats sitting in a boat all day,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I just bought a Pugsley in spite of living in Raleigh where we have no snow or sand. I was hooked after I took a test ride on one a couple of months ago.

It's maiden voyage was yesterday and I had a blast. My only regret is not buying one sooner.
    That's where I am too. The guy on the Muk was out at 286. I'm jealous!

Geordie biker
    If your keen, try one first, if possible.
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    2014 milage so far - 2,095
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    I'm having some of the same feelings. I'm not sure how much actual snow riding I'll be doing, but I've been wanting a do it all, year round, bike with plenty of options for mounting racks, fenders, etc for running errands and stuff around town and off-road adventures... The Surly Ogre makes a lot of sense for what I'm looking for, but for some reason, I can't get fat bikes out of my head.

Nemophilist
    Same here;

I can fully understand all the benefits of the extra flotation & traction, but I have to admit that my lust and desire is almost completely derived from nothing but the looks of these things, and the utter cool factor they radiate. I too was lusting from afar until recently, when a guy showed up for a group ride on a spanking new Pugs. First ride. Spotlessly clean. He had SS 29r experience, so I knew he was a serious enough rider. Well, he quickly rode away from the group on a trail that starts with a moderately difficult climb. When we caught up to him, he had what will now be known as a FatFace. He grinned and babbled incessantly for the rest of the ride about how much fun he was having. Same as everybody else who pops this pill.

Yeh, I was right. I want one.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    May 2011
    "I just bought a Pugsley in spite of living in Raleigh where we have no snow or sand"
    head South past Southern Pines, Sand Hills might have some sand.
    The Outer Banks might be alot of fun on a fat bike, especially Ocracoke.

wheelmanron
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    I'm having some of the same feelings. I'm not sure how much actual snow riding I'll be doing, but I've been wanting a do it all, year round, bike with plenty of options for mounting racks, fenders, etc for running errands and stuff around town and off-road adventures... The Surly Ogre makes a lot of sense for what I'm looking for, but for some reason, I can't get fat bikes out of my head.
    I thought about getting an Ogre. It would have done almost everything I wanted. Then my friend, who has been riding a Pugs for years, reminded me I would be unhappy when the snow came. So, I ordered a Pugs frameset and 100mm fork, built it up with my 29er mtb\commuter parts, and now I have my ultimate commuter! I ride it all week to work, take the panniers off and hit the trails on the weekend, and when I can afford the fat wheels, I can just put them on and go fat! I am so happy I did that. I can do everything I want, with one frame. Plus, I am so much more comfortable with the wide bb. If you want a do it all bike, get a Pugs frame.