Quote Originally Posted by velopax
    @ caminoloco

Have you some more details on the Sandman frames like:
    rear hub and front hub spacing
    BB shell size
    offset or non-offset wheels

would be nice

THX
    Rear hub is 165mm (but I hear they're probably going to offer a 155mm option). Front forks will be standard and 135mm options. BB 100mm. Non-offset wheels (for the 165mm at least).

I got my Sandman Gobi finished at 3 am (together with half a crate of beer...) , to bed around 4, rose at 7 and started in a enduro (between all-mountain and freeride) race with it at 10 am... without having ridden it for more than 100 yards. My first run was a disaster - just too much nerves, my second runs' time put me in the better half of the 100-participants field
    The race took all day with two more runs in the late afternoon, but those I had to forfeit due to family obligations. But I left a very happy fat-tired biker !
    Those big tires are no subsitute for 6" of suspension, but I had a blast and got incredulous looks from everyone who saw me coming

The bike is real, real good, everything I expected from it and more (it isn't too heavy and climbs real well). I felt immediately right at home on it, it fits me like a glove, very stable as expected, high BB so I can keep on pedalling in the rough stuff. Heaps of rear tire clearance: with a 70mm rim I think there's still about an inch of space on either side of the Endomorph. And, last but not least, it looks stunning, the curves of the frame give it a special, elegant look in combination with those huge tires. The frame is glass-blasted with a clear powdercoat finish.

Here are some pictures, I hope there will be some action shots from during the race on the organisers website because in all the rush I forgot my camera... these were taken afterwards around the campfire - finishing off the other half-a-crate

A Surly Maverick
    That looks the `mutts nuts` my friend

Any chance of some tyre clearence shots on the rear triangle?

Like the glass blasted finish too.

I think Sandman will have no problems selling these frames at all.

Glad you had fun at the race; it`s always funny the effect the Endos have on people.

Cheers,
    Dr FG
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's a shot (I took a bunch from every possible angle !) of the rear triangle. It almost makes the tire look skinny...
    It's on a 70mm rim, so the tire is wider than on a Surly rim, it only just fits the Maverick fork (you can get an idea on one of the campfire pictures).

In case anyone's wondering, I had zero problems hitting the rear triangle with my shoes (I got a size 13).

A Surly Maverick
    Holy schmoley!

Now that IS impressive tyre clearence !!!

Looks like a 70mm front/100mm rear combo may well be the one to run with a Mav up front.

I see you decided to keep your Maverick as you did say you were thinking about a rigid fork earlier. What made you change your mind as a matter of interest?

P.S:- I wouldn`t swap back to rigid, I love my Mav

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood !
    I see you decided to keep your Maverick as you did say you were thinking about a rigid fork earlier. What made you change your mind as a matter of interest?
    P.S:- I wouldn`t swap back to rigid, I love my Mav
    That's because I discovered the lock-out knob on the prototype's Maverick fork... after trying that for about 20 yards I decided not to go entirely rigid
    Not for the use I'm putting it through anyway (a gravity dropper seatpost is on its way), but I did order a normal-hub rigid fork. If I go ride on the beach I'll swap the Maverick for that one.

What I like about the Maverick is its decent suspension action. Not world class, but decent. But it flexes like hell (I'm a big guy) and it's a pain to install the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    Here's a shot (I took a bunch from every possible angle !) of the rear triangle. It almost makes the tire look skinny...
    It's on a 70mm rim, so the tire is wider than on a Surly rim, it only just fits the Maverick fork (you can get an idea on one of the campfire pictures).

In case anyone's wondering, I had zero problems hitting the rear triangle with my shoes (I got a size 13).

Wow great looking bike... Mind if I repost these pics on my blog with credit and a link back here?

Any website with more info on these frames/bikes?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

A Surly Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    That's because I discovered the lock-out knob on the prototype's Maverick fork... after trying that for about 20 yards I decided not to go entirely rigid
    Not for the use I'm putting it through anyway (a gravity dropper seatpost is on its way), but I did order a normal-hub rigid fork. If I go ride on the beach I'll swap the Maverick for that one.

What I like about the Maverick is its decent suspension action. Not world class, but decent. But it flexes like hell (I'm a big guy) and it's a pain to install the front wheel.
    I`m 260 LBs and whilst I would say the Mav is not the most rigid fork it does do all that I ask it too.

I ride on the beach with my Mav and have to say it`s much better than riding with a rigid front. All the corragations in the sand are damped down beautifully.
    The fork guards keep most of the sand off the sliders too.
    It`s a very easy fork to work on as well.

|Cheers,
    Dr FG

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm wondering when the sandman website become's "active"
    I would love just to see more pictures of the three diferent frame's and the fork options etc..

guido

mtbr member

Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Mopper_smurf
    I'm wondering when the sandman website become's "active"
    I would love just to see more pictures of the three diferent frame's and the fork options etc..

guido
    +1

I just got official clearance from the family financial officer to buy a fatbike (acting like a four year old crying "I wanna fatbike, I wanna fatbike" for the last year and a half finally paid off (FWIW - I believe the key here is integrating the whine with arm flapping and foot stomping so as to not simply annoy, but effectively convey the depth of one's true longing for and commitment to having a fatbike).

So come fall it will be decision time. If I can swing the budget, I'm leaning toward a Fatback...if not, the budget option is obviously a Pug. It would be nice to have something intermediate in price that doesn't weigh a ton. I'm also hoping for some better fork options (price and weight wise). In any case--WOO-HOO! Thanks Sweetie!

Super Genius...

Ladies and Gentlemen...

I present for your approval, the budget fatbike.

http://www.ezbeachattachments.com/to...d-medium-large

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by leadphinger
    I present for your approval, the budget fatbike.

http://www.ezbeachattachments.com/to...d-medium-large
    Cheap and actually would fulfill many people's needs/desires. Someone buy one and do a review for us!
    baker

Super Genius...
    I'm working with the seller to build one to spec. I will report back on my findings.

mtbr member

Caminoloco...

...how about an update on Sandman Bikes. I've tried emailing them a while ago but didn't get a reply. Can we get them to give us a substantive update on this thread? What do you hear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

+1
    I've tried asking for information all over the net, and everybody said mail them on sales@sandmanbikes.com.. So I did and still no reaction.
    Maybe the economical crisis got to them to?

Guido

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopper_smurf
    +1
    I've tried asking for information all over the net, and everybody said mail them on sales@sandmanbikes.com.. So I did and still no reaction.
    Maybe the economical crisis got to them to?

Guido
    Nothing bad happened, I spoke to him today (he has my fixed fork for normal hubs ready, I'll post a picture of it when I get it).
    He does have trouble getting the "special parts" together. The Taiwanese contacts he has for BB' and rear hubs are incredibly slow to respond and he wants that figured out before he starts selling his frames.
    He said "...no use me selling frames if people have trouble assembling them into complete bikes...". He did promise to answer his mails, didn't get to it because he was quite busy building road frames (thanks to the Tour de France cycling madness ).

A Surly Maverick
    Here`s a suggestion for a european hub supplier

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...Draco+Rear+Hub

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood !
    Here`s a suggestion for a european hub supplier

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...Draco+Rear+Hub

I had already forwarded him that supplier, he said that he had mailed them about an order for 20 hubs but had not received any answer yet...

It's supposed to be crisis but nobody wants to do business

A Surly Maverick
    That`s a shame .

Sometimes it`s best to ring and talk in person though.

Hope he has some luck soon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm getting my mail back when I send it to sales@sandmanbikes.com?!?!

mtbr member
    IPARider,
    we need to bump up this thread and update the frames available such as the New Fatback and 907 Aluminum frames...

mtbr member

yep

agreed, there is a good project to do now...perhaps after Speedway has the numbers on the new Al frames posted...

although I've made my choice (and my motivation was primarily selfish in trying to get the data together, to inform that choice).

If we could get a good summary together, we could make it a STICKY...

mtbr member
    if i get one of these bikes im moving father up north!

mtbr member
    I'm waiting a bit longer to buy ,have some other projects to finish ('Doggy 8, On One SS) but I hope by next winter to have my fatbike ready as well. Then load up the van and go looking for some snow

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Crank Q factor

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    100 mm rims, the solution on 165mm rears (with 100 mm BB) has been to space out a 9-sp cassette away from the hub flange then drop the two (or three) smallest cogs. This will grant the proper chain clearance regarding tire rub and doesn't affect the Q-factor.

So, if 180 mm is a rear standard..... what happens to the Q-factor? Do, BB widths also need to get wider and/or do spindle lengths get wider effectively widening q-factor??

It's hard to de-couple Q-factor and width of the rear.... they have to move in lock step or chain lines start to get out of whack quick. Wider q-factors might be fine for some the smaller riders will certainly suffer.

Anyhow... here in AK, 70-80 mm rims seem to be the norm. Only those that are racing seem to run the biggest rims.

Regards,

EndUser

What is the lowest possible Q-factor available given the requirements for 100 mm BB? Are std. MTB ISIS cranks compatible and do the provide enough clearance given the current 120 mm chainstay standard?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    I believe the foundational standards are set. Beyond this we can expect evolution to proceed normally. Specifically, what are you concerned about?? Standards and/or price??

What this market needs now are lower cost 165mm symmetrical rear AL frames in mass production. This will then drive additional component manufactures into producing more and cheaper fat bike specific parts. More choices around BBs, Cranks, hubs, rims, tires, forks and front derailleurs would be very nice. Right now we are paying premium for these parts.... but as early adopters we should expect this.

Regards,

EndUser
    What are the differences in the chainstay lengths between the new 9:zero:7 and Fatbikes, Pugsley and Salsa? Also, by accommodating a 120 mm wide chainstay width does the Q factor suffer even more?

Race Promoter - St Fattys

Good job!

616 out of W Michigan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12