mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Fatbike build questions

I bought a 9zero7 135mm frame with sliding dropouts. I'm giving it the gates/alfine treatment. I went for the 39t/24t chainring/cog and 115 mm belt on raceface turbine cranks. What size rear tire should I be able to run on rolling darryls with that?

I am going to run a pugsley fork with a singlespeed setup in the front. Would an XT hub be a good idea to get the chainline adjustable and maybe use centerlock discs front and rear? Would 203mm SLX/XTs fit?

Finally -- I am going to go with SLX or XT Hydraulic brakes -- with the pugsley offset fork I need a rear brake for the front. I've read on shortening hoses and plan on getting fluid to re-bleed. If I get two rear kits, what do I need to convert the front brake to work on the left handle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm running a Nate on a Clownshoe on my 907 and it's also the 135 frame but with Shimano derailluer. Doesn't look like anything wider will fit due to frame clearance issues. No idea how your drivetrain clearance would be but at least you know that a Nate will work with the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am no expert on brakes but I think the front and rear calipers are the same. It just takes a different adapter to get the clearance right. Typically a 160ish rear adapter will work with a 180ish front. Depending on the brakes the levers could very well be right left specific, so it is likely easier to get a front and rear brake and play with adapters then get two rears and jury rig one of the levers. Check with whoever you buy the brakes from?
    Latitude 61