Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Compulsive Bike Builder

Fatback build project

I am custom building a Fatback frame. I am going to take my time doing it and document it, weigh parts, make a vlog, etc. I am a bit of a weight weenie, so one of the goals in the choice of components (but not the only one) is weight. I am waiting for the upcoming 616fab hubs to complete the build anyway. For those not concerned about weight, please do no thread jack by posting how you don't care about weight. Yeah, it will happen anyway, but I have to try.

Other parameters of the build: some of the parts will be moving over from my current Fatbike, which I am still riding all the time, so those parts will be delayed to the very end of the build. The primary use of the bike is sand/beach riding in Southern Calif. I do want to play with it in the snow occasionally, but it will probably never see AK cold. I also take my fatbike on regular trail rides, too, but not all that often.

So lets get started, shall we?

The frame is the 2012 Fatback Alloy Made in USA frame. Size 18", black ano, tapered head tube. It tips the scale just under 4 pounds (3 lb 15 oz) with no seat post clamp, which is not included with the frame. This weight does include the derailleur hanger and water bottle cage bolts. Those pieces weigh 1 oz for comparison.

The fork looks amazing. It is carbon with a tapered carbon steerer. Uncut, it tips the scale at 798 grams. It also has native post mounts, which I like from a weight standpoint, it means an IS-Post mount is not needed, since most brakes are native post mount anymore.

The Origin 8 Torq Lite seatpost clamp has a unique shape, I will get better pics as the build goes. I think the shape is supposed to act like a partial sleeve to reinforce the top of the seat tube.

Origin 8 Ultim8 seatpost is feathery, and the shape of the Fatback frame means less exposed seatpost, so this 300mm 30.9mm diameter seatpost will be plenty long enough.

Here it is on the stand, ready for the next step
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

addicted to chunk
    Ar you going SS or 1x to help shave weight? What rims?
    Riding.....

Compulsive Bike Builder
    All will be revealed as I go. But I am going with full gearing, brakes, etc. No SS, fixie, etc. business. And drilled Rolling Darryls.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Ar you going SS or 1x to help shave weight? What rims?

mtbr member
    That looks sexy already.

Compulsive Bike Builder

The project continues...

The build continues. This is it so far:

The fork is partially cut, I will adjust the stem position by swapping spacers around and do a final cut after riding it a while. The Sunline stem is not being made anymore, too bad, I like it. I like wide flat bars, SRAM's Noir T30 was a bit of a splurge, it includes its own bar end plugs, which is kind of cool. FSA headset and compression bolt hold things together as I go.

I have an old Gobi saddle around, I like these saddles, and it will add a bit of color to the bike.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Here are a bunch of weights

Older Gobi Saddle

Compression bolt, which I am using:

Star nut/top cap combo. I am not using it, but it is interesting to compare with compression bolt (shows 26g)

Sunline XC-1 stem, discontinued model

E13 Snowbike crank, no bb cups

E13 Snowbike crank with cups and spacers, reads 873g

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nice work on all the weights!!! Keep it coming!

A Surly Maverick
    This build is making me drool

Darth Fatbike takes shape !
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Thanks. I am thinking I need to swap a black saddle onto this bike. My magura brakes are silver, not sure how that will work out, I may have do a double swap to get my black set on this bike, too. I have black XT components that will start to show up in the next couple of steps. Like I said above, the 616fab hubs are the bottleneck for completing the bike. 616 has lots of droolworthy pics of them up, I don't think I will have to wait too long for them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    would a phil wood bb and middleburn crankset work out lighter - i think they would - thats what i use

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
    All will be revealed as I go. But I am going with full gearing, brakes, etc. No SS, fixie, etc. business. And drilled Rolling Darryls.
    Cool, I was just curious. Going by your description of a WW build & mainly beach riding, figured a 1x would be about perfect! 30T up front & a 11-36 out back you'd be set.
    Riding.....

Compulsive Bike Builder
    My beach riding includes the coarse sand you sink into even when its wet, deep dry stuff, rock piles, and a steep cliff access trails. I need granny, clipless pedals, and a smooth spin.

Nuts
    Are you going BFL's?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Does this mean the unbuilt wheelset you have listed in the classifieds is no longer available? If it is, let me know how much shipped to 80027 unbuilt.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I have one BFL, I know it will fit on the front. That will give me a chance to install it on the rear and see how much clearance I have. If it fits, I will buy another one. Otherwise I will use a Larry in the rear (which I also have).

A couple more weights and black components:

With those parts installed. Not dramatic progress. I will make sure to wipe the camera lens next time.

2 notes. When installing a direct mount derailleur, it has to be installed before the drive side crank arm. The frame mount holes are just not reachable once the crank is in place.

Also, this is pretty much all I can do for a while. Some of the parts I need are being moved over from a working bike that I am riding a lot. Plus, I am waiting for 661 fab hubs (as I said before, but just in case you dont read every post). Once the hubs arrive, I will build the wheels. Then, finally, I will move over all the bits from the donor bike to complete the build. If I get bored, I may weight a few parts, I guess.

Nuts
    Yeah I didn't have good luck. E13+Fatback+bfl=5 maybe 6 cogs unless you take one spacer from non drive side and install on drive side. I didn't do it not enough threads. Now Fatback crank+Fatback+bfl=8. Of coarse just my experience and this was with a 9 speed cassette.
    And I love beer!!

Compulsive Bike Builder
    Which rim?

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah I didn't have good luck. E13+Fatback+bfl=5 maybe 6 cogs unless you take one spacer from non drive side and install on drive side. I didn't do it not enough threads. Now Fatback crank+Fatback+bfl=8. Of coarse just my experience and this was with a 9 speed cassette.

Nuts
    Which rim?
    Ooops good point, I forgot that! Uma 90's.
    And I love beer!!

A Surly Maverick
    How goes the project DD ????

Compulsive Bike Builder
    It was awaiting new 616 fab hubs, spokes, and a new TS 2.2 wheelbuilding stand that can handle 170mm hubs. All is in hand now, the project will spool back up soon now.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    The wheelbuild is the next step. I have been waiting on the parts, now I have them.

I had hoped to get 2 drilled Rolling Darryls in this weight range. But after looking at many here and elsewhere, it seems that most of them weigh a bit more than this one. Maybe Surly made some running change to the rim?

All of the other rims I found weigh within a few grams of this:

Ever wonder what 64 Super Comp, Black, 264mm spokes weigh, including spoke prep?

The new 616fab hubs look nice:

And just for the sake of completeness, 64 alloy nipples.

A Surly Maverick
    Very Impressive hub weights !

RD's also looking good at < 850g

Nuts
    You could always get the un-holy rd's drill them with 1.5" holes and get em down to the 750's. Liking this project a lot, thanks.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The new 616fab hubs look nice:
    Do you have them in sotck at ComCycles?

Compulsive Bike Builder

Complete undressed wheels

Base wheel build is complete. The is the bare wheels only, no rim strips, rotors, skewers, etc. One nice thing about the 616fabs is they do not need skewers, you can use lighter end bolts instead.

Front wheel

Rear wheel

The wheels could be lighter with Large marge lights or revo spokes, for example, but I am looking for more floatation and gearing than that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast