mtbr member

Fat wheeled trailer

Does anyone make a Fat wheeled trailer?

Any links welcome please?

mtbr member
    Bike Trailer. Bicycle One Wheel. The Lightest Bicycle Trailer!

Extrawheel. Trailer has a single wheel and holds panniers. They make a special fork for pugsleys. So in theory, that gives you another spare wheel for long trips.

A Surly Maverick
    This is on Ebay now

BOB Yak Ibex Plus Suspension Trailer with Drysak Yak off road quick release | eBay

I think Bruce runs a modded version of this
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Bike Trailer. Bicycle One Wheel. The Lightest Bicycle Trailer!

Extrawheel. Trailer has a single wheel and holds panniers. They make a special fork for pugsleys. So in theory, that gives you another spare wheel for long trips.
    I've already got one of those but the thin wheel sinks into sand, I need a Larry width tyre and it won't fit into frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood ! View Post
    This is on Ebay now

BOB Yak Ibex Plus Suspension Trailer with Drysak Yak off road quick release | eBay

I think Bruce runs a modded version of this

Yes, you will have to mod this trailer if you run it, and not just put a fatter tire on it either if you have offset rear wheels. I tried one on my Necro pugs and had tons of clearance on one side & tire rub(okay, squish actually!) on the other. It would take some serious bending or crimping to make it work. FYI.

There is no "fat wheel trailer" and most trailers won't even fit fat bikes with a regular sized trailer wheel stock. You can try "bikesatwork.com" though, they can make you one to fit. And I was told by Surly that their Ted & Bill trailers "can" work with offset fatties BUT they wouldn't recommend it because the attachment is sketchy at best. Which is funny since they made fatties popular with the masses.

My trailer search continues. Let me know if you find out anything different. I have no interest in panniers/extra wheel, a flat type trailer is what I want(with a fat wheel stock, even better!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnclimber View Post
    I've already got one of those but the thin wheel sinks into sand, I need a Larry width tyre and it won't fit into frame
    the std Extrawheel is like that yes. But they *do* make a FAT specific one.

Bicycle Trailer 5 Year Warranty! One Wheel – Bike Trailer! (scroll down, 3rd from the bottom)

"PUGSLEY (0,87 KG) -TYPE FORK / ENDOMORPH
    A fastening fork for a Pugsley-type bicycle is only 3 mm longer than a standard fork but is much wider than."

(translation isn't what it could be)

More here: Pugsley Fastening Fork

Hope that helps.

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Nvmd
    Last edited by Stopbreakindown; 09-12-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Wrong thread....oops

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    the std Extrawheel is like that yes. But they *do* make a FAT specific one.

Bicycle Trailer 5 Year Warranty! One Wheel – Bike Trailer! (scroll down, 3rd from the bottom)

"PUGSLEY (0,87 KG) -TYPE FORK / ENDOMORPH
    A fastening fork for a Pugsley-type bicycle is only 3 mm longer than a standard fork but is much wider than."

(translation isn't what it could be)

More here: Pugsley Fastening Fork

Hope that helps.

Elvis.
    I too am in the process of getting a fat-bike trailer happening. My interest is because I plan to ride the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia next year with my wife and a couple of friends. I've trawled through lots of MTBR forum archives, and here are some of my conclusions:
    1 - The "Pugsley" Extrawheel trailer is fine if you want to run an Endomorph tyre and a symmetrical trailer wheel.
    2 - Of the 3 people I can track down who've done the Canning stock route unsupported, Jakob (2005) used an Extrawheel/pugsley version/endomorph but on a symmetrical 100mm OLN hub, The 2009 RFDS supporting guy (sorry haven't got his name to hand) used a fully custom trailer with a fat-tyre wheel, and the dutch 2011 guy used a fangled BOB yoke/Extrawheel trailer with a fat-tyred symmetrical trailer wheel on a 27mm rim.

Thus I'm looking to get a custom off-set wheel compatible Extrawheel-like trailer that will take at least HuDus or possibly BFLs on RD rims.

Tom

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenomad View Post
    I too am in the process of getting a fat-bike trailer happening. My interest is because I plan to ride the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia next year with my wife and a couple of friends. I've trawled through lots of MTBR forum archives, and here are some of my conclusions:
    1 - The "Pugsley" Extrawheel trailer is fine if you want to run an Endomorph tyre and a symmetrical trailer wheel.
    2 - Of the 3 people I can track down who've done the Canning stock route unsupported, Jakob (2005) used an Extrawheel/pugsley version/endomorph but on a symmetrical 100mm OLN hub, The 2009 RFDS supporting guy (sorry haven't got his name to hand) used a fully custom trailer with a fat-tyre wheel, and the dutch 2011 guy used a fangled BOB yoke/Extrawheel trailer with a fat-tyred symmetrical trailer wheel on a 27mm rim.

Thus I'm looking to get a custom off-set wheel compatible Extrawheel-like trailer that will take at least HuDus or possibly BFLs on RD rims.

Tom
    wow... Tom you blow my mind! I'm jealous in the extreme...

I take it you're riding an offset bike then>

Moonlander?

Elvis.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis @ Dirt Works View Post
    wow... Tom you blow my mind! I'm jealous in the extreme...

I take it you're riding an offset bike then>

Moonlander?

Elvis.
    I am riding an offset bike (see Fettling: the birth of a new bicycle, and A maiden ride bicyclenomad).

In hindsight, I might have pushed more for a symmetrical 135mm rear - which commits you to a Rohloff IGH when running fat tyres (I think no larger than HuDus on Marge Lite/LM) but allows conventional 29er wheelsets too with less effort. This is the line we'll go down with my wife's build - she's pretty light and so shouldn't need the extra float of the RD/HuDu combination I'm using.

Will post more when it comes to fruition.

Tom

mtbr member
    Your Twenty2 is a real Beauty Tom! All the best in your preparations on said trailer and your pending trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

More desert riding...

Full credit to you for planning to take on the CSR Tom. That will be an amazing experience. I too have recently got the bug to do some desert touring with a friend and we are in the early stages of planning an out and back trip from Birdsville to Poeppel Corner. Time will be our biggest constraint so we have chosen a shorter ride as our fatbike desert touring debut.
    Our friend Russ Worthington was the other guy (RFDS fundraiser) to do the CSR, along with another 5500km of his 10 deserts epic. Google "Russell Worthington: 10 Deserts"
    I'd paste a link but being a newbie on the forum I'm not allowed.

At this stage I am thinking I will design a trailer similar to what Russ ended up with (his first design broke at the start of his CSR journey under the weight of 80kgs of water!) He returned to Halls Creek and manufactured his version 2.0 trailer in someones workshop/shed somewhere out there. I forget in which town. His trailer had the sole purpose of carrying water so it was a very simple looking affair, similar to the Extrawheel but with extra clearance and no mudguard mounts/extras.

Elvis,

Do you think the Extrawheel Pugsley fork would fit a 170mm symmetrical frame rear? At this stage, I'm leaning towards purchasing a Mukluk and building a trailer utilising the Extrawheel Pugsley fork around a 170mm spare rear hub/wheel. Thus to avoid the problems arising when trying to hitch a trailer to an offset frame such as a Pugsley.

Happy trails,
    M@D M!KE

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m@dm!ke View Post
    Full credit to you for planning to take on the CSR Tom. That will be an amazing experience. I too have recently got the bug to do some desert touring with a friend and we are in the early stages of planning an out and back trip from Birdsville to Poeppel Corner. Time will be our biggest constraint so we have chosen a shorter ride as our fatbike desert touring debut.
    Our friend Russ Worthington was the other guy (RFDS fundraiser) to do the CSR, along with another 5500km of his 10 deserts epic. Google "Russell Worthington: 10 Deserts"
    I'd paste a link but being a newbie on the forum I'm not allowed.

At this stage I am thinking I will design a trailer similar to what Russ ended up with (his first design broke at the start of his CSR journey under the weight of 80kgs of water!) He returned to Halls Creek and manufactured his version 2.0 trailer in someones workshop/shed somewhere out there. I forget in which town. His trailer had the sole purpose of carrying water so it was a very simple looking affair, similar to the Extrawheel but with extra clearance and no mudguard mounts/extras.

Elvis,

Do you think the Extrawheel Pugsley fork would fit a 170mm symmetrical frame rear? At this stage, I'm leaning towards purchasing a Mukluk and building a trailer utilising the Extrawheel Pugsley fork around a 170mm spare rear hub/wheel. Thus to avoid the problems arising when trying to hitch a trailer to an offset frame such as a Pugsley.

Happy trails,
    M@D M!KE
    Mike

The trailer that's coming in my direction is going to be capable of 170mm symmetrical rear triangle bikes - I'm told it'll be ready sometime late Feb. I'll post pics as soon as I have them. I'm mainly going to be running water in mine too - have a friend making bags for the trailer that'll keep the load from moving too much. Going to be lots of fun (and hard work).

Good luck with your trip too - and pass my regards on to Russ - his blogspot website seems to have fallen by the wayside a bit recently. I did leave him a message there a while back.

Tom

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Good job!

I shall look forward to seeing your trailer rig with great anticipation Tom. When is your CSR grand depart?
    Russ is a busy man these days, but I know he has managed to squeeze in a few fairly epic ocean kayaking trips. I'll pass on your regards.