hispanic mechanic

Fat tubeless setup thread

Alright, I have 2 sets of Large Marge rimmed wheels, 1st generation, I guess they're now considered their DH rims.
    1 set has Endomorphs, the other Gazzaloddis.

1st attempt- Gorilla tape, removable-core Presta valve section, home made sealant (Wadester's formula: 1 pt. latex mold builder, 1 pt. Slime automotive, 1 pt. ethyl glycol, 2 pt. water.) "Painted" the inside of the Endos with latex mold builder.

Got the beads to set on the Gazzis without a problem, but needed a strap around the circumference of the Endos to get the bead set.
    The Gazzis had apparently been removed or replaced using a screwdriver or something like it, because there was some damage to the bead rubber. These are not holding, even using a fair amount of sealant shaken into the area, but slowly improving.
    The Endo wheelset is leaking at the rim seam at any pressure above 5 psi.

Next step today is to try and find some 24" Presta valved tubes, hopefully (but not unexpectedly) with removable cores. I'll split them down the length and try using them as "Stan's-style" rim strips.

I'll post results later. If anyone has experience with this stuff, feel free to add.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    one thing you need to do is take a base line weight of the wheel.
    one with the endo, the tube and stock rim strip.
    the other with your tubeless set up.

this way we can see if your system has a weight advantage also. I have been on stans since day one. I have ran 3in gazzys on rhino lites for dh with no problem. I would love to use a tubeless set up, but only to save weight because i have never had a flat.

hispanic mechanic
    @ bighit- Unfortunately, I'm not much of a scale guy, and my results would be invalid anyway. The PO had an entire bottle of True Goo in each tube! Talk about rotational weight! He rides his Pugs in a creek bed, mostly, and we have a ton of thorny stuff here in Texas. He didn't feel confident in his ability to change flats with either tire, and being a pediatric neurosurgeon, I can understand him wanting to take care of his hands.
    I'll try and get you a weight post set up.
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    i think slime in the tube is the way to go.

hispanic mechanic
    Found some 24" Presta tubes- not removable core, but oh well...
    Endos seated just fine, sitting happily at 14 psi, didn't get a chance to set up the Gazzis.

The main reason I'm doing this is for flat protection without a lot of weight. Since I don't need a ton of flotation for our riding around here, that's not as big an issue. However, I will experiment with pressures for the edification of all.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    just wondering,why not use Schrader valves?,loads of tubes available and also you can use a workshop compressor to inflate the tyre quickly to pop it onto the bead to seal,
    i do this when i fit turf tyres to golf course machinery and john deere gators at work which are tubeless,low pressure,floatation tyres. just like our endo tyres!
    also i havent seen anyone using tubeless car valves-the type your car has that are pulled though using a T handle tool which screws on to the valve,you can get the valves in short a 40mm lenght so they dont stick out on floatation machinery wheels,there also used on rally cars,
    just some thoughts and ideas,im a tube man myself,just add 25ml of goo slime and job done,
    Last edited by coastkid71; 10-27-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    agree on schrader tubes core is removable

mtbr member
    pic's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    do a search for ghetto setups and use a 24 inch tube I got mine at wally world really cheap and they have held for 9 months

hispanic mechanic
    @coastkid71, bnelson- I thought about going Schraeder, couldn't really tell you what my prejudice is against them. I mean, I tell myself that it's so that I don't have to drill out the valve hole and need a step-down nut if I put Endo tubes back in, but that's not that big of a deal.
    Too many years of working on low-end bikes with Schraeder valves. I even used Presta on my DH bikes!

@bighit- I'll get some pics up today.

Los
    Jens Voight

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson
    do a search for ghetto setups and use a 24 inch tube I got mine at wally world really cheap and they have held for 9 months
    I did this yesterday, just with some Presta tubes I found on sale at a lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Found some 24" Presta tubes- not removable core, but oh well...
    Endos seated just fine, sitting happily at 14 psi, didn't get a chance to set up the Gazzis.
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    cool. thanks for taking the lead on this one. i looked at my wheels sometime ago and said thats a lot of tire to seal and stuck with the tubes.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    cool. thanks for taking the lead on this one. i looked at my wheels sometime ago and said thats a lot of tire to seal and stuck with the tubes.
    You know, with the latex layer on the inside of the Endos, I really only used about as much as I do on my 29" tires. Zero seepage/ weeping through the sidewalls, which is a lot more than I can say about some other tires I've set up before, and the Endos seemed especially likely to seep.
    As it stands right now, the tires lost .5 psi (yeah, I actually have a digital gauge!) in 16 hours- 14.0 to 13.5, although the temp also dropped about 35 degrees in that time also.

I kinda wish that I was better equipped to go about this scientifically, but after more than 16 years of turning wrenches in shops, I find myself distinctly nonplussed by scales and such. The gauge is sort of exact by default, as it was the only Presta gauge the shop I worked for had in stock at the time, and some of the Tri-geeks I do side work for are picky about tire pressure.

I just dropped the pressure to 10 psi front and rear, and played around in front of the house. I'll be going over to a short little trail to continue the experimentation in a bit- I'll know more about the Pugs in sticky mud shortly!

Los
    Jens Voight

hispanic mechanic
    Another failure.
    Bead wouldn't hold around the block with 10 psi in back, so I pumped it up to 15, which I figure is upper limit for the off road benefits of the Endo. No good. Still wouldn't hold under my current 205 lbs. Maybe when I get back to fighting weight...
    I'm discouraged. Maybe if I "build up" the rim bed underneath the strip, or maybe the Larry/ new Endo casing will set up tighter.
    I'm beginning to think that smarter people than me have tried and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
    Maybe standard 26" tubes with some sealant would be the way to go.

Los
    Jens Voight

No, that's not phonetic
    I get enough burping below 35 psi with standard rims/tires. I cannot see how I could run my normal 6-8 psi in a Endomorph without getting coated from head to foot with Stan's spooge.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I get enough burping below 35 psi with standard rims/tires. I cannot see how I could run my normal 6-8 psi in a Endomorph without getting coated from head to foot with Stan's spooge.
    Ya know, it's not even burping badly- just enough to not work, if that makes any sense.
    I like how much lighter this thing rides without the 1/2 lbs. of True Goo and 3/4 lbs. of tube the PO had in each wheel, so I'll try the standard tube with a couple of ounces of homebrew sealant for the pointy stuff.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tubeless deffinatly makes sense in theory... sure have witnessed alot of folks having to put a tube in though. At that point it's usually pretty messy. Often times more time consuming than even patching a tube... and they'er carrying tube(s) in their pack anyway. I'm just not ready to trust ( or mess with ) tubeless on adventure rides. Some lighter tubes would be nice though...especially in big sand. Until someone makes tubeless specific fat rims & tires it seems problematic.