Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Fat touring mode! What tyres???

I cant afford two bikes or two wheelsets at present. I will be using the 9zero7 for 3 week on/off road tours ( no snow ). Hopefully, mostly gravel , bush tracks and with some beach work thrown in.
    Large Marg lite rim on rear. Fat Sheba front rim. Should I go.....
    1. Black Floyd.
    2. Knard.
    3. Combination of both.
    What spare to carry?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    huskers

mtbr member
    Black Floyds roll nice on sand and pavement. I commute on them part time for my 6 mile ride during warm weather. I have not tried them on trails, though.

The HDs definitely take a bit more effort on paved roads but do very well on trails as well as sand.
    Last edited by Zeitlupe; 12-02-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I couldn't quite talking about it.

mtbr member

Vee Rubber

Vee Rubber at some point will be releasing a nice 3.5" road tire that's a bit beefier than the Black Floyd. I looked at the Floyd, but went with the Knard instead, the Floyd was a bit thin for my taste, where I would use it I'm sure I'd puncture it.

Human Test Subject
    Just to add another one to the mix, Larrys would fit the bill too. Never ridden HDs so I can't personally compare them, but many say they have less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    I don't have experience with the Knards, but wouldn't the Larrys be superior for that use?
    The Larry has a continuous center ridge that rolls really nicelly when you pump them to 25psi or so. They roll really well on pavement at that pressures

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought my Pugs used and it came with Larrys. The majority of my rides with it are commuting on pavement. So my intention was to eventally get Floyds.

I still might, but as people mentioned above, I'm pretty impressed with how well the Larrys roll on pavement, and they're definitely going to handle anything else better than the Floyd's. If those Vee Rubbers ever make an appearance I think I'll try those out, but until then I'd recommend the Larrys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just rode 200 miles on a road tour with Larry's. Optimal? Probably not but they rolled fine and my riding partner never had any problem knowing when I approached from the rear. Comfy as it gets. I've also ridden many miles touring dirt and gravel roads on the Larry's with no complaints. I'll try Husker Du's next but I doubt they'll be hugely better. I've been sorely tempted by Floyds and will probably own a pair at some point but so far I like the confidence offered by a little extra tread when bombing down dirt roads with a load.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No doubt about it- Husker Du's! Although I haven't tried Knards yet, they might turn out okay for all around too. But for variable conditions, I LOVE my HD's!!

mtbr member
    Check out the following site: gypsy by trade | Ridin' bikes and travelin' light.

He did a really long tour on a Pugs. Good info there. The Fat Sheeba introduces a different variable than what the gypsy ran, but good info there none the less.

mtbr member
    I don't think you should be considering another wheelset, even if you had the bucks . . . touring fat is the BIZ!

But there's no way to answer your question very well without just a little more information:

How wet will it be?
    How much climbing/descending and how steep are we talking about?
    How light/heavy are you going to be, loaded?
    Are you a "no stopping, even for pee breaks" kind of guy, or more of a "stop and smell the roses" type?
    How extreme are the flat hazards on your route?

I did a ~400 mile tour across Washington state on an abandoned railbed this past June. I went with floyds pumped up to 25 psi because I knew that traction wouldn't be an issue for me (dry season and 4-5% max grade on the railbed), and keeping rolling resistance low was a priority to me, because I had a finite number of days to do the trip and I didn't want to be too sloggy.

Fat touring mode! What tyres???-loaded.jpg

But I also have some time on larry/endo and knards and one pretty major drawback of the floyds is that if you get into anything slick at all that you need traction on for climbing or descending, and I'm talking even wet grass (let alone light mud), the floyds get pretty scary. On the other side of the coin, I was traveling with a loaded bike weight of around 85 lbs and on anything dry or semi-dry, the bike had really good traction, even on some steep climbs that I had to deal with on some of the detours.

You talk of hitting the beach and from the wee bit of beach riding I've done, if I were gonna spend any time at all on sand, the floyd would be pretty iffy. IMO, Larry would offer you quite a bit of extra traction on slippery surfaces with a pretty minor penalty in rolling resistance. As someone else commented, the tread pattern is such that you have a pretty sweet ridge down the center of the tire and when it's pumped up, it umm . . . rolls, bro.

The knard would be the right call if the terrain on your route is more on the steep and loose end of the spectrum. The knard is a pretty amazing tire as far as I'm concerned, grip-wise, because within the given contact patch (depending on the pressure you're running), the small and numerous blocks on the tread give you a ton of sharp little edges to hang onto mother earth. Grippy litte b@stards, them knards. Them rolls out pretty good, too.

Someone else mentioned flat resistance and I think that's also something to be taken into account. I had bigtime flat trouble with my floyds on some short shakedown trips before my tour. But I was running 26 x 2.5 tubes. For the tour, I switched over to 1.3 mm surly toobs, and then I pumped some slime into them. (The added weight is really not that bigtga deal when you're carrying the kitchen sink anyway.) I really believe that I'd have had no flat trouble at all, if I hadn't of hit the mother of all goathead patches. There was just no way of escaping the evil, no matter what tire I'd been running. The floyds are pretty damn thin, though, so that's something to think about. I was running the 120 tpi's, and I think maybe that matters also. I did this because I knew the surface I was riding over was gonna be brutal and I wanted the extra "supple". The 27 tpi's might be tuffer. Dunno.

Fat touring mode! What tyres???-gh1.jpg

Fat touring mode! What tyres???-gh2.jpg

Fat touring mode! What tyres???-gh3.jpg

All this said, I don't think that choosing any of these three tires will have any significant effect on how much you enjoy your tour, from what I am envisioning it to be, albeit based on what little detail you have provided. The experience of touring on a fatbike is several degrees removed from what tire you're running (although I probably wouldn't tour on a Nate!) Once you're out and rolling, the *perfect* tire or saddle or bag or whatever doesn't really matter. Not that you shouldn't plan as best you can, but in the end, it's too grand of an experience to be affected by gear minutia. Touring on a fatbike, especially offroad, is a really unique and awesome experience, IMHO, and I just totally bonded with my fatbike out on tour. I *loved* getting on it every morning.

Hope this was last paragraph makes some sense and is not too wishy-washy with the rest of my comment. More importantly, I hope you have a blast planning your tour - it was at least half the fun for me - and that you have have even a bigger blast actually touring.

Maybe in way simpler terms, it's not so much about the fine details of the bike as it is about the amazing places that you can pedal yourself to on your fatbike. If you catch my drift.

Fat touring mode! What tyres???-sky.jpg

And my disclaimer: I'm no expert by any stretch at all and don't want to come across that way, but since you asked for opinions . . .

mtbr member
    Thank you Spovegas, that's a great post with much valuable information

Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    The knard would be the right call if the terrain (...) Them rolls out pretty good, too.
    Vs the Larry?

I really like the pattern of the Knard, but I'm afraid it would be slower than the Larry on anything hard

addicted to chunk
    Hudus! Surprised to see larry suggested, as the hudu is lighter, grippier, and rolls better.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    The Bud and Lou are ok for road use...said no one ever except me.

The black Floyd may be too little tire for any off roading you may encounter, but I do like mine.

is buachail foighneach me
    Endomorphs, front and rear.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lostraveller View Post
    I cant afford two bikes or two wheelsets at present. I will be using the 9zero7 for 3 week on/off road tours ( no snow ). Hopefully, mostly gravel , bush tracks and with some beach work thrown in.
    Large Marg lite rim on rear. Fat Sheba front rim. Should I go.....
    1. Black Floyd.
    2. Knard.
    3. Combination of both.
    What spare to carry?
    Thanks!
    As well as Nick at gypsybytrade, have a look at Touring on a Surly Pugsley (Progress Report) « Pedaling in Place . This is a guy we ran into in Perú who was doing similar stuff to us, but on a Pugsley (Larry x 2). He didn't have the tyre options you do, so I'm not sure what he'd choose now. He was advised against Endos (by Surly, at the time).

I've got HuDus, and they do roll pretty well on tarmac when pumped up enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Vs the Larry?

I really like the pattern of the Knard, but I'm afraid it would be slower than the Larry on anything hard
    If you're primarily on tarmac, larry might have a bid of an advantage. But on any dirt surface, I think the difference in rolling resistance would be really negligible. And the knard will be grippier in many instances. JMHO.

mtbr member
    ...what Sean said...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Im doing the Trans Canada Trail from Calgary to Tofino BC next year and from my testing so far, I'm definitely going with Husker Du's. They have been brilliant so far and no flats either. I've ridden over brush, wood, rocks, river beds, snow and ice and never had an issue.

Great grip and the rolling resistance is very smooth and free. Go Du!

Richie

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Great post, Spovegas, and thanks for the thoughtful opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Large marge rims / Husker Du

Thanks everyone for your advice. Think I will go LM rims and Husker Du tyres.

Got word from V rubber that the 26x3.5 speedster is available so may try a set for commute. Waiting for the price + shipoping?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Please let us know what the price is on the Speedster - or any other details you get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What he said ^ I've been waiting for that tire ever since I saw a post on it from Interbike!

mtbr member
    My Vee Missions were around 60 each i think. If the speedsters are the same price i may try one out as a rear commute tire.

mtbr member
    Done a 40kms road ride today with the Larrys at 25psi. Never felt the bouncing ball effect some guys talk about, but lost a lot of confort on cobblestone roads.
    Overall the Larrys roll quite well at this pressures, and the noise and vibration are nothing absurd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast