mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Fat tires in nonfat FS frames

I remember seeing at least one pic of a full suspension bike with fat tires stuffed into it on this forum. Which frames have any of you found to fit 3.8" or larger tires in the stock rear swingarm or chainstay links.

mtbr member
    There's been a few Gary Fisher Hi-Fi 29er's posted, but they did require frame modifications

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've seen Lenz, Intense, Turner, Gary Fisher. None fit them in the stock rear swing arm. Each one of them has added spacers to the pivots/yolk/link or cut up the rear swing arm and added width there.

not FAT free
    2001/02 turner rfx or 2005/06 6 PACK can take LARGE MARGE + NOKIAN GAZZALODI 3.0 with minimal shave of side knobs but it nothing straight from factory can take 3.8 tire

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can you post any pics of the mods?
    How many gears can you use with an 83mm BB and 150mm hub, and 3.8 tires, assuming you can fit them into the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    orange patriot 6.6 takes gazzaloddi on 40mm spank stiffee rim.
    no trimming needed
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

not FAT free
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Can you post any pics of the mods?
    How many gears can you use with an 83mm BB and 150mm hub, and 3.8 tires, assuming you can fit them into the frame?

check pm inbox

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Gazzaloddi

I see a pair of new Nokian 26'' 3.0 Gazzaloddi's on ebay. Not the same as the 3.7'' tires but they will fit some non-fat FS frames

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    3.0s are best case for fitting into select few frames.
    I modified a 2009 turner sultan do a search on abominable snowbike and it should come up. Also mtbr'er tscheezy did a series of mods check those out. The best fs mod I've seen on the internets is the Lenz behemoth Fatbike from another mtbr'er Nolan.
    Your questions about gears w/ 83mm bb and 150 axle are smart ones. I run a 1x9 w/ 30 tooth chainring and 11-36 cassette. I definitely wish I could have a granny gear. On the other end, feel like I don't need more gears to get me more gear inches.
    As far as frame geometry for a fs Fatbike look for frame with the right traits for your riding, you may not be happy with the result of a bike because "it could just fit".
    I ride a lot of rocky mountain technical terrain. My thoughts if was to do it again, get something with a higher bb (>13.5in, 14 in would be just right) and little slacker 68 deg HA.
    Last edited by dirtydoug; 01-07-2013 at 05:38 AM.