mtbr member

Fat Tire for Singletracks riding?

Hey gang.....I'm looking to get back on a mtn back after 7 or so years off. I used to owna Stump jumper and it was the only mtn bike I've owned so nothing really to compare it to. I have some incredible trails 5 mins from my house and they are some of the best in Atlanta area (Blankets Creek). I'm in my 40's and a bigger guy (6' 235lbs) and just want to sweat and have fun. I don't know a ton about fat tire bikes other than all the great reviews I read about them in general, but I also see a lot of pics with snow etc.....we get very little snow so 95% of my riding will be on dry Singletracks near my house. I'm not an advanced rider but can handle a bike and have a decent amount of seat time from an IM in Kona in 2010 but have been out of it for several years and staring at monitors 10 hours a day for work isn't the best for your health

is is a fat tire bike overkill or not necessary for how I'd use it? I'm on a budget so I'm looking at a Gravity Monster from BD.

Goals:

- Have Fun, enough to want to keep going back
    - Sweat, get the HR going!
    - Meet some like minded cool peeps
    - Avoid any ambulatory or medivac event lol
    - Maybe one day enter a race

Even in my 40's I'm an aging adrenaline junkie but every single time I've attempted a jump on a mtn big no matter the size, I've crashed. I fall hard too so I'd like to have fun but keeps tires upright if possible?

ive asked a buddy if he has seen many fatties at BC and it's a SUPER packed place on the weekends and he says he hasn't seen a ton. So I'm wondering if I better off back with a normal FS bike or a fat tire. I read all the way through the Gravity thread and people seem to love it!

Thanks in advance

CL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's great to hear you are getting back to cycling, but unless you need the float or extreme traction a fat bike offers, you might be better served with a "plus" bike- lighter, much less rolling resistance, normal-ish BB widths and 90% of the benefits of a full fat bike. Many people can and do use their fat bikes as trail bikes, and they work well, but they are not a magic bullet for riding skills. Good luck with your search and keep us posted!
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member

I have the Gravity Bullseye Monster

I'm a bigger guy like you (though a lot less big since riding, 20lbs and counting), riding for a lot of the same reasons. I was riding a 29er hard tail until my wife bought me a fat bike for Christmas. I rode it all winter and now that my local
    Singletracks are snow-free I'm still riding it. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact I have people over sometimes who don't have a bike, I'd sell the 29er. There are a lot of reasons; It is "kid goofing around" fun. The fat tire grip is confidence-inspiring, so I can descend a littler faster and try things I'd hesitate to do on a skinny. I'm not racing, so it is all about fun and the big tires are fun. The extra weight is less than the weight I'm trying to lose. I feel less likely to break the bike, because it feels like a tank.

But that's my feeling about it. The guidance from deuxdiesel to go FS 27+ might make a lot of sense too. I've not ridden one. I seriously thought about it when Spring came, but I decided I was happy just to keep on riding the fat bike (my wallet was happy too).

In Ohio, I've come across a lot of guys who are not putting their fat bikes away. I'm an engineer, so I know the physics stuff like rotational mass, overall weight and rolling resistance all point to putting the fat bike away. But that silly, fun, "just want a good time" side that motivates me to actually ride in the first place keeps me riding fat tires.

The GBM will need a few upgrades, like wider handlebars, bigger discs. You can try other fat bikes too. My brother in law has a specialized that is nice. Whatever you do have fun
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 04-17-2017 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Update

turtles make me hot
    I'm a big guy like the OP AND I've been to Blankets Creek. That place is the bomb. I'm jealous.
    I was there with my FS 29er. Very fast and flowy trails. Now, I bring my fat bike everywhere and I bring a couple sets of wheels. First thing that comes to mind is 29+ for Blankets Creek.
    I might also try my all time favorite combo of 4.8" Bud on an Other Brother Darryl on the front and my 29x3 Chupacabra on the rear.
    If a fat bike were my only bike for trails like that, I'd be running some of the Bontrager tires on either Sunringle Mulefuts or Surly My Other Brother Darryls. The Barbegazi is a fast rolling 4.6" tire. Also, I'd probably wait for the Manitou Mastadon. The Rockshox Bluto is noodly under big guys.
    I like turtles

nOOb
    May 2008
    I'd probably go with a FS 29er over a fat bike for the type of riding you describe. A fat bike is fun on dry trails, but fat tires just don't absorb the hits like an actual suspension, it's still like riding a rigid bike. Even a hardtail 29er with front suspension is probably better suited to the task of singletrack. Narrow tires are simply faster to spin up ,and for the ride back and forth to the trails if you have to do that.

I would suggest a fat bike as an additional bike down the road someday.

mtbr member
    On fat bike you just point and roll over. Less complications, more fun.

In that age point 35+ and weight 200+ (my range too) we are not going to roll fast anyway, so why bother with plus/skinny/FS? Not worth it. Fat bike is ultimate exercise machine IMO for our age and weight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    OP, also check out the RSD Big Chief. 29+ hardtail. I think I'm going to grab one.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    if you are on a budget, you are not likely going to get anything in Full suspension 27.5+ in my opinion.. i've got two BD sturgis's and my wife has the gravity monster pro with the bluto... if after you have it, you have a few hundred dollars invest in a slimmer wheelset. 29+ or 27.5 +... that way two rides, one frame. fatty tires certainly don't make up for a full sus bike, but you also don't have the amount of parts, bearings, bushings, bolts, air chambers, etc to fiddle and dick with. best thing to do. is borrow a bike from someone local, take it out for a few hours and see if you like it. if you were closer to Western NY. I'd invite you out to give the fatty a try.

since 4/10/2009
    OP, keep in mind that there is a such thing as a "fat tax". Fat-specific stuff is simply more expensive for what you would otherwise find similarly-equipped with "regular" (up to 2.4" or so) tires. Plus is similar, but a little less markup than 4-5". Most of that comes down to the extra cost for rubber. Fat tires are not inexpensive. Whereas you can get a good 2.4" tire for $60, that will get you a pretty low end fat tire. Similar quality fat tires will probably be $120+ in a lot of cases.

You'll probably spend $700+ on a fatbike with components similar to what you'd find on a $400-$500 non-fat mtb. If budget is a major concern, then you get more value for your dollar by buying something non-fat. If you get a 29er non-fat bike, you can probably put a 27.5+ wheelset in it later if you'd like. Especially if it has the wider "boost" hub spacing (110/141qr-148mm thru as opposed to the old standard 100/135qr-142mm thru).

You can also have a plus wheelset built for fatbikes, too. 27.5x3 works better for bikes that max at 26x4ish tires and 29x3 works better if your fatbike maxes at 26x5.

Fatbikes are fun, but it's worthwhile to know what you're getting before you drop the dough.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Coming from a full time fat biker, get a B+ bike with the next new big thing in tire sizes 2.6".

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    OP, keep in mind that there is a such thing as a "fat tax". Fat-specific stuff is simply more expensive for what you would otherwise find similarly-equipped with "regular" (up to 2.4" or so) tires. Plus is similar, but a little less markup than 4-5". Most of that comes down to the extra cost for rubber. Fat tires are not inexpensive. Whereas you can get a good 2.4" tire for $60, that will get you a pretty low end fat tire. Similar quality fat tires will probably be $120+ in a lot of cases.

You'll probably spend $700+ on a fatbike with components similar to what you'd find on a $400-$500 non-fat mtb. If budget is a major concern, then you get more value for your dollar by buying something non-fat. If you get a 29er non-fat bike, you can probably put a 27.5+ wheelset in it later if you'd like. Especially if it has the wider "boost" hub spacing (110/141qr-148mm thru as opposed to the old standard 100/135qr-142mm thru).

You can also have a plus wheelset built for fatbikes, too. 27.5x3 works better for bikes that max at 26x4ish tires and 29x3 works better if your fatbike maxes at 26x5.

Fatbikes are fun, but it's worthwhile to know what you're getting before you drop the dough.
    Yep. I agree with this.

Reality is that fatbikes as primary bikes seem to work best in areas that do get snow or involve a ton of sand.

Where you are, it might not be the best tool for the job though still fun.