Candlestick Maker

Fat tire cargo bike

So, I've been thinking about getting a cargo bike / kid hauler and the Yuba Mundo has been on my short list. I have an extra pugsley fork just sitting around, so I started wondering, "how big of a tire can I fit on the Mundo?"

I couldn't find any specs, so I emailed the manufacturer. They responded that the current frame will fit a 2.35, but they have a new version of the frame releasing in the next week or two that will fit at least a 2.75" tire and probably a 3" tire! Plus, the new frame will have disc tabs.

This could be a pretty neat fat tired bike, with serious expedition carrying rackage built in.

http://yubaride.com/
    baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check out the "Chupacabra"... built for one of the "Ride the Spine" guys.Theres a picture of it (un-finished) on the" show us your fat bikes" thread. it was built to exept the Xtra-cycle bags & accesories. I searched for "cupacabra bicycle" and found a deticated page on the bike. Also lots of pics on the "ride the spine" web-site.

A Surly Maverick
    Yuba looks good

I know that people have wished for similar fatness ability with the Surly Big Dummy, but it can`t (as far as I know) run the LM+Endo combo

Also It`s alot more expensive !
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Candlestick Maker
    So, my Mundo V3 frame has arrived. Below are some pics. Definitely some fat bike potential. The stock fork has just under 3" of clearance. The rear of the frame has about 3.5" of clearance. A pugsley front fork in the front would allow an Endo up there and I could conceivably stuff an Endo in the rear, but the clearance would be minimal (at least w/ my 44mm rim). A supposed 3" tire would easily clear.

Mundo w/ 2.4 Mutanos (not quite done)

Rear clearance w/ 2.4 Mutano

~3.5" of clearance

Front, not so good

Of course, there are simple solutions for that

Very cool frame. On the other hand, the frame is an absolute oinker for weight. 27.6 pounds! Thinking way outside the box, why not add some small skis to the outrigger racks?

:-)
    baker

mtbr member
    That thing is ready to Do Work!

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I have a first generation Xtracycle and unfortunately you can't go much bigger than 26x2.5. I have tried putting a 2.6" downhill tire in there and had to cut off all the side knobs. I am currently using a 26x2.5 hookworm in the back. I like the hookworm but wish I could have more volume, more for absorbing shock when loaded down than anything.

Thought about seeing if a 24x3 would fit in there but I don't use it that much anymore.

Candlestick Maker
    Whoa! The Endo actually fits the rear of the frame when using a 31mm wide rim. Not a lotta room, but that is one fat rear triangle. Clearance is ~5mm on each side of the tire and about 6mm at the top of the tire.

With that little clearance, I'm wishing for an Endo Jr right now. Same style, flexibility, and light weight, but just a tiny bit smaller.

I have a Savage Arrow 3.0, but that thing just seems unfit for the job. Wicked heavy, inflexible, and huge rolling resistance. Not to mention, I haven't succeeded in getting it on a rim yet!
    baker

mtbr member
    I really want to put endos on my yuba, Does the non threaded pug fork work with the mundo frame, is the steer tube long enough? The headset on the yuba is realy long. Can the stock rim work with the pug fork( axle length?) . could someone please post pics of an endo on the rear of the mundo? If anyone knows of some pics of a mundo with endos could you post a link? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I really want to put endos on my yuba, Does the non threaded pug fork work with the mundo frame, is the steer tube long enough? The headset on the yuba is realy long. Can the stock rim work with the pug fork( axle length?) . could someone please post pics of an endo on the rear of the mundo? If anyone knows of some pics of a mundo with endos could you post a link? Thanks

The US Cargo Bike Revolution doc trailer - YouTube
    Look at 4:41

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA Grizzly View Post
    Looks like the Chupacabra, a one-off custom

A Black Floyd might fit in the back of a Yuba on a trials rim, less side tread than an endo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher View Post
    Looks like the Chupacabra, a one-off custom

A Black Floyd might fit in the back of a Yuba on a trials rim, less side tread than an endo.
    Chupacabra
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My Floyd measures 83mm at 20 psi on a 40mm rim. Measurement taken when first mounted, and at a higher pressure than I expect to run.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Anymore info on this build?

I'm Interested in building one of these up too.
    With a 4 year old, another on the way in 3 weeks & living on the beach, fat cargo bike is my future for family days out....wife can use the 907
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    I have a Mundo Im ready to go with fat tires. I know their is an issue with the fork and the head tube. I also know the rear axle is a larger than std. Looks a 42 spoke designed to carry the cargo wt.

mtbr member
    How long is the head tube? My uncut surly fork is pretty long.
    The 14mm adaptors means any rear wheel can be fitted if required.

Candlestick Maker
    My Mundo has a 7" head tube. My uncut 100mm width Pugsley fork has a 10" steerer. Should work, no problem.

I think I got waylaid by electrifying my Mundo and never went back to make it fat. I should get off of my arse and do that before the real snow flies...
    baker

mtbr member

Yes Baker, get off your arse.

Yes please, so we can see a picture of an endo on the back of the yuba, Thats what it comes down to after all, the tire fitting back there. I am thinking about a three speed hub (or an alfine 8 if I had the cash) since chain rub will be an issue. I would even consider a coaster brake for simplicity and durability, Why dont people use coaster brakes anyway? I guess its nice to be able to reposition the pedals quickly in rocky terrain but I dont think it would be that hard to get used to. I haven't ridden with a coaster brake in so long that I'm wishing I had one right now just to try it. I would ride fast down a dirt road and see how far I could skid the tire like I did when I was a little kid. Baker if you mount up that tire again and post pics of it you will be "The Man" and I will give you mad props. You will be respected. I dont know what "Rep Power" is but I bet it will go up by a couple points if you post pics of the endo on the yuba. Is there some way to cross post this thread in Cargo Bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Big Dummy and am running a wheelset with Large Marges and Maxxis Hookworms (2.35). It runs pretty well through everything and I'd consider putting a 100mm spaced Pugsley fork on it to allow for a fat tire.

Big Woody | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have seen pictures of several customized Xtracycle style cargo bikes though running 3.7" tires. Chupacabra was a custom and used a very clever transfer case style drivetrain arrangement to get the chainline clearance for the fat tires. I think others have sent you links to that one.

Another guy chopped a Big Dummy and reworked the rear end to accomodate the big shoes, plus added a Pugsley fork.

Race Photos from the Pugsley World Championships | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Finally, there is also a guy who had essentially a Big Dummy custom made by Banjo

IMG_0061 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Haven't seen a fat tired Yuba yet. Sounds cool if it works

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Get a frame builder to rework the rear end to accommodate fatbike tyre, swap headset to ahead, add pugsley fork and add an urbancommuterstore.com mid-drive electric assist kit for Yuba.

The mid drive can probably be set up to ensure no interference between tyre and chain.

Would make a great all terrain, all conditions cargo bike.

mtbr member
    I'm just away to measure a larry on a 30mm rim to see how wide
    Floyds on trials rims could be a good compromise for volume/ good rolling/ clearance in rear end

Edit: Larry on 30mm rims 86mm wide, so they are going to be very tight.....
    Last edited by motorman; 11-16-2011 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    My Floyd measures 83mm at 20 psi on a 40mm rim. Measurement taken when first mounted, and at a higher pressure than I expect to run.
    This is great, thanks for this Velobike, now does anybody know how many mm of clearance the Mundo has? 83 mm = 3.26771 inches. Ok, wait I just went out to the garage and measured with a piece of bailing wire and then used a ruler to measure that since I don't have a caliper and check this out it has just a tad under 4 inches of clearance!!!!!! So no problem getting an evil Black Floyd in there!!!! I'd like to know what a Floyd measures on a Large Marge, I'm going to search around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

4" Yuba Mundo

I finally completed my fat Yuba. I used an old Surly fork with Surly tire in the front and NuVinci360 hub and Remerx Jumbo rim and Surly Endomorph tire at the back. The rear cog is 22 teeth Surly with the original Yuba crank and 42 teeth in the front (I could go as low as 40 teeth). This allowed me to move the chain enough to the right that it does not rub the tire. I had to keep the derailleur to keep the chain properly adjusted. The ride is perfect, you sit higher and kids at the back are happier (more cushioning from 4 inches of a tire). Suddenly the curbs are no obstacle to this monster. Snow, mud, grass, rock gardens - no problem!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat tire cargo bike-yubasmall.jpg  

Fat tire cargo bike-p1000695.jpg  

Fat tire cargo bike-img_0645.jpg  

Fat tire cargo bike-img_0642.jpg  

Fat tire cargo bike-img_0648.jpg  

A Surly Maverick
    That looks great !

Well done
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes; Thanks for posting your results...and for bringing this thread forward again.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.