Thread: Fat Tire Birkie

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Fat Tire Birkie

Fat Bike Birkie | American Birkebeiner

What would be a good bike to use in this race or other races that are similar?

mtbr member
    Anything with a carbon frame, wheels, and cockpit, and with an XX1 drivetrain and Vee Rubber Snowshoe tires.

aka bOb
    Actually anything with fat tires works fine!!

mtbr member
    Run what you brung. I think that's a popular saying in Maine.

It can be argued that what you wear during the race is more important than what you ride in the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Conditions dictate the tool requirements. Don't know that a bike makes any difference really...tires and clothing is what you should concentrate on.

BUT D@MN OP, it is a long ways away!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Would the ability to run a 4.8 tire make a difference? I see some bikes cant fit that wide of a tire.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by racer37 View Post
    Would the ability to run a 4.8 tire make a difference? I see some bikes cant fit that wide of a tire.
    I don't know.........thinkin............Some races no some maybe but are you really going to carry extra tire for conditions and id so are they really going to make that big of difference? For the Birkie prolly not, that is held on an xc ski trail that has had the peepee pounded out of it all winter but for smaller races....I've seen a few races now like the one I put on in Wausau, WI last year that had a great hard pack trail that would've held up great all day long to normal riding but fell apart in places once you got 50 racers on it. I didn't really see the bigger tires making much of a difference once it broke down, hell the guy that won was running an Endo in the back but that dude is fast. The way I look at it at least for myself is it doesn't hurt to get a frame that can run big but not really sure if it is needed.Good luck man!!

Vagician
    Someone ran one of those $150 walmart fat bikes last year, so any fat tire bike will work. Your tire selection will depend entirely on the conditions of the day and how many people are in front of you. I wouldn't worry too much about tires. Having fun is more important.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by EPcycles View Post
    Someone ran one of those $150 walmart fat bikes last year, so any fat tire bike will work. Your tire selection will depend entirely on the conditions of the day and how many people are in front of you. I wouldn't worry too much about tires. Having fun is more important.
    Some peoples opinion you can brush off but EP's you can take to the bank, the man knows period!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I don't know.........thinkin............Some races no some maybe but are you really going to carry extra tire for conditions and id so are they really going to make that big of difference? For the Birkie prolly not, that is held on an xc ski trail that has had the peepee pounded out of it all winter but for smaller races....I've seen a few races now like the one I put on in Wausau, WI last year that had a great hard pack trail that would've held up great all day long to normal riding but fell apart in places once you got 50 racers on it. I didn't really see the bigger tires making much of a difference once it broke down, hell the guy that won was running an Endo in the back but that dude is fast. The way I look at it at least for myself is it doesn't hurt to get a frame that can run big but not really sure if it is needed.Good luck man!!
    Do you know of more races like this in the WI area? I live in WI and would like to try some.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by racer37 View Post
    Do you know of more races like this in the WI area? I live in WI and would like to try some.
    Yeah there are races throughout the state all winter long.
    Wisconsin Fat-Bike Race Series - Home
    GREAT LAKES FATBIKE SERIES

Plus a few more like the Badger State Games is Wausau.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am looking at buying a fat bike for this series and local trails. Where to start is my question? Too many standards and options now. I see many fat bikes with mech discs are there issues with hydros in the cold? How much climbing is in one of these races?

sluice box
    I guess our question to you is what is your budget?

We can help with the standards and options better with this info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My budget is as little as possible. I was looking at the BD bikes, but don't know where to start. Weight doesn't scare me since I'm a big pig and my 29er weighs 33#. I think I would prefer aluminum for rust prevention, but I love steel too. Maybe get a SS with a RD hanger. I have a few 9 speed cassettes and a 9 speed X5 shifter laying around. A 10speed SLX RD would make for a decent drivetrain if I can go small enough up front. Thinking maybe 24 or 26 in front. I ride 32x17 on my rigid single speed 29er in the summer and 32x22 in the winter. Gear inches should be close between a 29 x 2.1 and a fat bike right? The bike will weigh about 10# more and I'll have about 10# more clothing on so that is why I'm thinking 24 or 26 in front. This is why I'm asking about the climbs. I do drop into my granny when climbing at places like Iola, Mt. Morris, Bairds Creek, Sheboygan, etc. I ride the SS at places like Reforestation Camp, High Cliff, Hartman Creek... My home trail is Riverview Gardens, so I'm looking forward to riding there this winter. I've never ridden a fat bike so I'm clueless right now. I did ride with someone this summer on a Bluto equipped carbon Beargrease. It made me sick to pick it up. Weighed 5-6 pounds less than my hardtail 29er.

sluice box
    I have rode SS since 1995 and even in the WORS series. With 9 mile, Iola ski jumps and such in my backyard as a kid back in the home land under the cheddar curtain, I know all those trails well. I gave up SS after getting my cheese wiz lungs handed to me in the mountains on a fat bike. I tried the fat front dingle speed for a year but settled on a 1x10 AL Fatback 170. Works well for me for these years. If I was shopping for a new bike I would be looking for 190mm rear and 150mm front hubs as that is looking to be more of the standard today, but will still work well in 2020. I would get the Sturgis if I was shopping for a BD bike, but the Boris (190 Al), Lurch (190 Fe), Bullseye Monster (170 Fe), FB4 (135 offset Al) all are good bikes.

BTW I was running 32x22 fat front most of my time on my dingle speed in the up here in the Chugach. Worked well for snowgo trails and bar runs.