Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wrench

Fat is a state of mind.

My "Trail/Enduro/All Mountain Bike" TM got jealous of all the fat bike snow posts.

So when my buddy, who has a Surley Instigator (4.8" up front, 3" in back), called me up and said "Hey, snow ride tomorrow morning. You down?"

I didn't have much of a choice. It was about 15 degrees F out there this morning and snowing.

I was faster than the guy on the fatbike.

15 miles of snow, deepest I got was about 6"-8" of drift. 2.4" @ 15 PSI, 2.35" @ 18 PSI.

One of these summers, when the Fat Bike market gets saturated and nothing's moving, I'll pick up a frameset and start lacing some wheels. Until then, My All EnduroTrailTM bike will suffice.

NMBP
    Wow, you are awesome. One ride and you're the top rooster in the yard.

I could explain the difference between a fat bike and a regular bike, or you could actually read some of the 7364 threads in this forum. Try some soft sand with your skinny tires, or perhaps even the same snowy trail on a different day. Or just continue the trolling because with one ride, you already know everything there is to know about the difference between fat tires and skinny tires.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Nemophilist

Thbbbbff;

If you could ride at all, it was an easy ride. An any-bike ride. You couldn't have ridden what I did today in 3" of snow. Fatbiking IS a state of mind sometimes, but methinks you are on the wrong continent.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

"I don't have what you have (and secretly want to) so I'm going to tell you about how you don't need it and what I have can do it better" was basically what I read here. What would us guys who have many different mountain, road, and fat bikes (and have actual experience) know though... we're just fap happy bandwagoners, right?

Wrench

I want a fatbike, just haven't built it yet. And I'm not going to jump on one of the less expensive options (Nashbar, Bikesdirect) yet.

Calm down fellas, there's plenty of snow for all of us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's the wide Q Factor from the 100mm BB, bunches our panties every time.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I spent 2 years trying to convince myself that I didn't need a fatbike too. Now I ride with friends more often (on our fatbikes) in the snow then we ride our mountain bikes in the summer.

Who'dathunkit?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you had an awesome time in the snow and with your friends. You don't need a fat bike to ride in the snow as you've discovered. A fat bike just provides another option for snow riding, it's not the only option.

mtbr member
    As awesome as you are now, you would be even awesomer on snow with some fat tires to match your head.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    FNFAL, you seem to be missing the point. You took the time to come to a Fatbike subforum to talk about how you went on a snow ride and were faster than a fatbike. You did not ride a fatbike, you do not own a fatbike, and you did not talk about fatbikes other than saying you would possibly like to get one someday. This is not a "snow bike" subforum, it's a fatbike subforum, so your post comes across as trolling because it sounds like you are stating that your bike is better than a fatbike, in the snow, based on one ride. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just letting you know why people are bothered by your post. If you want to brag about how your non-fatbike rides in the snow, go to a forum that isn't about fatbikes. I don't post about how cool my 26" Fatbike is in the 29er forum because... you guessed it... it isn't a 29er.

Speaking for everyone (which I don't have permission to do) we LOVE people who are new to fatbikes and have something constructive to say about them. It's a great niche of the bike industry and we like to see others experiencing it. There are threads about people who have ridden them and just don't get it. Most of the responses are along the lines of "glad you tried it, sorry it's not for you." It's not that we aren't happy for you that you had a great ride. Great rides are AWESOME! It's more that your post comes across as condescending to fatbikes. Being a niche area that a lot of people just don't "get", we are a bit sensitive to that when it's based on very limited experience. (at least I am)

I hope you get a fatbike someday, and I hope you love it. They are awesome bikes, though not for everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Fat is a state of mind.

APPREHEND THE BLASPHEMER AT ONCE!

When did the fat section become overrun with crybabies? Come on guys. I like my Pugsley, but I definitely don't feel like my personal identity is being compromised when someone doesn't heap praise onto fatbikes.

Not everyone has to like your bike. Learn to live with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
    FNFAL, you seem to be missing the point....
    This +1

The point of a fatbike isn't speed. It's a tool to take you where other bikes cannot go.

If you're able to ride a skinny wheel bike in the conditions, it wasn't really fatbike territory. Most of us here spent years riding skinny bikes in the snow too, so we do know the difference.

However sometimes a rider's skill transcends the conditions and he can ride stuff on an ordinary bike that other less skilled riders can't manage even with the best bikes. Perhaps you are that awesome rider, or maybe the snow wasn't that deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    APPREHEND THE BLASPHEMER AT ONCE!...
    Nah, I just think he got carried away with an excess of enthusiasm, but crucifixion follows the second offence...

Edit:

This says it better

Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    As an experiment, I took my knard wheels for my pugsley to the trail with me last time I did a snow ride. It is a well used park with lots of packed snow. I figured it would be the best case scenario for the 29er+ setup. I ran 7psi tubeless with the knards. I also brought along my fat wheels just in case. The 29er+ ride lasted about 20 minutes and I was back at the car changing my wheels. They did fine on hard packed snow but the soon as it got a little loose in a few areas, I just didn't have any traction/float and had to walk. I am sure the dirt wizard tires will be better in the snow than the knards but there is just something about those big high volume tires on the pugsley that will be impossible to reproduce with a 29er+ wheel setup. Those 29er+ wheels did feel nice and fast on the hard pack though, I am looking forward to some all day rides mountain rides in the summer.

I think the 29er+ concept has a lot of potential but it just doesn't have the volume to do what a fat bike does.
    (from Krampus - will it satisfy my fat craving? )
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I'm just glad he was out riding.

Nemophilist
    Well;

He did +rep me for my comments, so he's not really as contrary as he sounds. He's just... contrary.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    APPREHEND THE BLASPHEMER AT ONCE!

When did the fat section become overrun with crybabies? Come on guys. I like my Pugsley, but I definitely don't feel like my personal identity is being compromised when someone doesn't heap praise onto fatbikes.

Not everyone has to like your bike. Learn to live with it.
    I think it's because we're all a little bit on edge due to The Great Fatbike Backlash that's going on right now. I let him off the hook because he says he wants a fatbike, and because the other bike was not a fatbike (3" rear wheel - I mean, c'mon!).

mtbr member
    My mind is in a Fat Bike state!

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    My mind is in a Fat Bike state!
    That's the kind of place to be!

Fatbikes are awesome. I've always wanted to build one up. Don't jump on me for plowing through powder with my 26" hardtail, it's out of necessity.

Fatbikes are showing up on Tour Divide as well. There were plenty of sections back in 2011 that I would have loved to had bigger tires than my 2.0 Crossmarks.

And guys, don't think I'm calling fatbikes a "useless fad". I've been riding 650b on my main bike for nearly four years. Trust me, I've heard the "Fad" arguments before!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    ...Fatbikes are awesome. I've always wanted to build one up. Don't jump on me for plowing through powder with my 26" hardtail, it's out of necessity....
    Puts the nails and wooden cross away...

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Like somebody said, we've all been riding our skinny bikes in the snow for years. Problem was, not much. Not much riding unless there was not much snow. Now, there is no consternation when the ruler says over 4" You can go and ride. The only question is can you develop the knowledge and the mental toughness to try and work over/through/around/with the conditions. Skinny is on the trainer. Fat is out there bringin it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

Like somebody said, we've all been riding our skinny bikes in the snow for years. Problem was, not much...
    It was pretty hard work.

Still is, but there's less bike hiking involved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    FNFAL,

I know it probably wasn't your intention to incite a negative response but you would probably get a similar response if you went to the down hill forum and said how you are taking a rigid 29er downhill and thus insinuating that big travel downhill bikes are overkill for the Red Bull Rampage.

Pretty much +1 on what everyone else said, just adding:

It's always the Indian, not the arrow. The important thing is to get out and ride, it sounds like you had a good one. Being faster isn't ALWAYS the goal of the ride. You're more likely to remember the rides you spent talking to your friends, not dropping them.

mtbr member
    'Rung what you brung' nothing wrong with that, but as it's said 'water seeks its own level'

He was lucky the conditions allowed him to ride the ride, at some point he may encounter conditions that he won't be able to ride his skinny tires in the snow, then, he won't have the right tool for the job. A fat bike is just another tool in the stable, and a fun to ride tool they are !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    FNFAL,

I know it probably wasn't your intention to incite a negative response but you would probably get a similar response if you went to the down hill forum and said how you are taking a rigid 29er downhill and thus insinuating that big travel downhill bikes are overkill for the Red Bull Rampage.

Pretty much +1 on what everyone else said, just adding:

It's always the Indian, not the arrow. The important thing is to get out and ride, it sounds like you had a good one. Being faster isn't ALWAYS the goal of the ride. You're more likely to remember the rides you spent talking to your friends, not dropping them.
    Don't be so sure of FNFAL'S benign intentions. Had a run in with him before. An innocuous exchange about multiuse trails ended up with neg rep for me and him schooling me on his favorite automatic weapons.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice try guy. A regular mountain bike is no fat bike. I have a 29er with 2.4 tires on Blunt 35 that measure out 2.5 and they have nothing on a any fat tire I've ridden. Most fatbikes I've ridden are pretty slow, but they go where no other bikes can go. If I could ride a regular mountain bike around the city like I can a fat bike, I wouldn't have a fat bike. I know that every other bike I have is faster. Heavy wheels and tires feel super slow especially when you don't need them, like days when you could ride a 29er through a few piles of light powdery snow. Then again, I saw a 22lb fatbike recently and IMO the Pugsly seems especially slow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think everyone's already covered all the bases but I will still add my .02 worth.
    Like everyone else I have ridden my normal MTB in the winter, where my fatty takes over is days like yesterday. Fresh wet snow with rain, tons of slush in the woods in the low areas. Was still hard on the fatty and still had to walk a few sections but other than that my 2.4 would have stopped working 100 meters into the ride and I would of had to turn around an go home or push the bike the entire ride. Is the fatbike slower, hell yeah but out riding this time of year isn't about speed it just getting out and having fun. It's even better when you pass hikers and they just stand in awe of your tires, not one person has had a negative comment, everyone is just so blown away but the size of the wheels. Most are " I can't believe your out riding in this and holy **** look at those tires"
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast