mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. Fat-specific Cycle Computer?

Well, I'll be the latest to grumble about my success with the search function...

I need to get get a cycle computer for the 9zero7 and I'm wondering if there are any fat-specific cycle computer considerations.

I would think that wireless would be the way to go, but would welcome anyone's pics of their setups.

I know some of you don't even bother with them on the Fat bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The problem I have with an existing computer is that the distance between the fork and the spokes is too far away for the sensor to pick up the signal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I was wondering if that wouldn't be an issue... I suppose the dished wheels put spokes closer to a sensor on the one side than symmetrically laced wheels do on either side - and I have a symmetrical front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A garmin edge at about $125 solves the issue--ok, I know, a bit more expensive than bike computers, but it does eliminate the whole "wheel sensor" issue, and can be used on multiple bikes . I move mine with me between my hard tail, fat, and I take it when I XC ski.

mtbr member
    No problems with my cheapie Specialized wireless computer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    A garmin edge at about $125 solves the issue--ok, I know, a bit more expensive than bike computers, but it does eliminate the whole "wheel sensor" issue, and can be used on multiple bikes . I move mine with me between my hard tail, fat, and I take it when I XC ski.
    +1

I went through the same process. Plus whatever tyre pressure you use can radically change the effective diameter of the tyre, so you'd have to reset an ordinary speedo for tyre pressure changes.

The disadvantage of the Garmin is it can lose signal and needs frequent recharges.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    If you dont mind spending some $$$

I have just bought the new Garmin 810 with the topo maps package, have yet to use the HRM and will never use the cadence sensor but as far a fatbiking goes, the topo maps on the big screen is awesome for exploring, it shows roads and tracks that i would have found otherwise, you can also download other peoples rides/tracks from Strava, Garmin connect ect then start navigation turn by turn like using your car GPS.

Awesome unit but a bit on the exy side.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

dvn
    mtbr member
    I run CatEye Strada Wireless CC-RD300W on all my bikes including the fat bike. No problems at all.
    Fat-specific Cycle Computer?-img_20130528_144654_435.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat-specific Cycle Computer?-img_20130528_144654_435-800x451-.jpg  

"Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    I am with the Garmin crowd, Edge 500. I snap it on whatever bike I am ridding that day, go home and download all the data on my pc.

Human Test Subject
    I use a planet bike computer with a ton of spacers on the fork so the sensor can read the magnet. It gets in the way every time I have to change my tire but it has a thermometer which is rad for winter.

mtbr member
    Garmin... No magnets, no wires, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I use a planet bike computer with a ton of spacers on the fork so the sensor can read the magnet. It gets in the way every time I have to change my tire but it has a thermometer which is rad for winter.
    I second this... use them on all my bikes. Lots of info on one screen, and the temp is nice. Wireless. Reliable. Cheap. Accurate. (sorry but GPS isn't anywhere near as accurate as a wheel mounted computer).

Another nice design feature is that the entire computer is the button... it does a little click on it's base. Definitely a must-have design for winter fatbiking with gloves.

PROTEGÉ 9.0 WIRELESS

mtbr member

Fat-specific Cycle Computer?

These computers you speak of have a setting large enough for the diameter of a fatty? Even a bud?

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    These computers you speak of have a setting large enough for the diameter of a fatty? Even a bud?...
    You don't need to set that with the GPS versions.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    These computers you speak of have a setting large enough for the diameter of a fatty? Even a bud?
    You enter the roll out in MM usually so you can measure it and enter whatever you need.

As VB notes if you are changing your tire pressure a lot the speed/distance won't be accurate.

One way around the tire size changing with pressure is that some computers have 2 wheel sizes you can program in so you can switch the computer between bikes. You could use this to enter a higher and a lower pressure roll out as long as you are willing to manually toggle the computer between these modes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Levi Early
    Ive been using a bontrager node 2 on mine. I calculated the rollout myself but do realize that I am off slightly with different air pressures. Comparing my distance covered to my friends other computers, I am usually off only .10/mile so I can live with that.

mtbr member
    I use my Garmin watch... Forerunner 405, I can take it anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You enter the roll out in MM usually so you can measure it and enter whatever you need.
    Yup... this.

I actually put my "usual" pressure in the tires and marked a spot on the garage floor and then got on and put some weight on the front and slowly pedaled until I had one rotation. It has been accurate if I ride a set distance on a street and then check with my car and GPS.

Fat-specific Cycle Computer?-wheelrollout.png

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is very helpful! I don't know that I'll go the GPS route yet, but will check on the Specialized, CatEye, Bontrager, and Planet Bike (I like the button feature) options.

ouch....
    Garmin edge 605 here....love it. Not only for the no-sensors-wires etc, but uploading my rides & keeping track of distance, climbing, hours etc. Plus uploading other routes when you are in a new area helps with spider-web type trails. Find a route you like & send it to your device.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Garmin foretrex 301 for me. Runs on AAA lithiums. I can move it easily from bike to car to backpack, no issues with recharging. Is more accurate, no wires or sensors, and I don't get lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    No problems with my cheapie Specialized wireless computer.
    No problems w/my cheap Sigma wireless computed either...except that its sensor now lies somewhere in the woods...meaning that the small rubber band that kept the sensor in its place broke :/