mtbr member

Fat slick tyre advice for 100km Charity ride/Sportive

I've got an event coming up in a couple of months that I've done before on a few times now on a MTB (with slicks) and a road bike. I'm considering giving it a go on my Trek Farley 5. The route is mostly flat and I know physically it won't be too hard. However, I'm considering swapping tyres out as a) 100km road buzz through 4.7 Barbegazi tyres is gonna get old fast and b) prefer to have a bit more speed and not wear the Barbs down. Anyone done this before and recommend a decent slick but not too expensive fat tyre? So far Surly Black Floyds seem like the only viable choice. Also, I had planned to go tubeless with the Barbs (tried once and screwed it up badly) and just wondering if much advantage doing it with the slicks. I know it will save some weight/rolling resistance but not sure the Floyds are tubeless ready. I do not plan to carry a 400g spare fat tube. Will wing it and either use the broom wagon or patch kit if I puncture. Advice welcome!

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Forgot completely I had posted about this before. Anyway if anyone has any specific new tyre info it's welcome, cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Forgot completely I had posted about this before. Anyway if anyone has any specific new tyre info it's welcome, cheers!
    Vee Speedsters may fit the bill. They are 3.5" and reverse tread. I'm going to the beach this summer, so a similar situation. I'd like to hear specifically if anyone has seat of the pants data on rolling resistance experiences with fat slicks. Rubber suppleness has much more to do with rolling resistance than weight or tread, IMO.

mtbr member
    Vee Apache, they are suppose to be pretty wide
    https://www.veetireco.com/listings/f...e-fatty-slick/

I use jumbo jims on the road, pumped up to 15psi and they roll very fast

mtbr member
    yes thanks, so far I've come across the Speedsters and the Apaches. Speedsters are closer to what I'm prepared to pay. Apaches too expensive. Also have found these but not heard much about them: https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Capti.../dp/B00TG3A6CO

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Found a Vee Speedster at their factory shop in clearance: 26 x 3.5
    There's also a Chicane (more of a cruiser thread) for 6 bucks less: 26 x 3.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorlandaeta View Post
    Found a Vee Speedster at their factory shop in clearance: 26 x 3.5
    There's also a Chicane (more of a cruiser thread) for 6 bucks less: 26 x 3.5
    that's a great price but I'm UK based so limited on where I can order from. This place here does cater well to the fat bike tyre brigade: VEETIRE SPEEDSTER MTB 26"

as does Charlie the BikeMonger: Fat & Snow

On-One Floaters (made by Vee Tire) are cheap but too heavy I reckon: On-One Floater 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I use jumbo jims on the road, pumped up to 15psi and they roll very fast
    Can confirm that, even at 4.8 wide and with SV13J tubes, the Schwalbe Jims ride on the road like anything else. I've never tried the Apaches, though.
    This info is a bit stale but still usable: Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I did the Seagull Century (100 miles) on Maryland's flat Eastern Shore in 2012 on my Vertigo fat bike with Surly Black Floyd tires mounted to Marge Lite rims using tubes. It was fun at the beginning where I rolled along at a fast pace provided by the slicks and jumping into pelotons, but due to my fitness, I eventually blew up and limped back to the finish.

I did it because the bike was new and I was excited to use it, plus frankly, I usually find long road rides mind numbing and wanted to change things up a little compared to previous years I've done this event.

Five years ago, I got a lot of attention riding the fat bike at the event. Not sure how many would blink an eye nowadays.

Fat slicks have a LOT of oversteer because their grip is tenacious on the road. Turn a little and "WHOOMP!" you turn all the way. Gotta pay attention and minimize no-handed riding. This oversteer tendency also depends on your tire pressure (max it out to lessen the effect) and your bike geometry.

Finally, in my case, yes, tubeless would have helped tremendously at this event. The fat slicks are so wide and have such a large contact patch that it was grabbing all the thorns it could. I was fine until we came to one rest stop where there were all these little thorns on the ground, and I got at least 3 or 4 flats. (I fixed one, rode a little, then FOOOSH, another flat.) If you can mount it tubeless, I'd recommend it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/25092096

2012 Bike 180: Day 201 by ricky d, on Flickr
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I purchased a set of the vee speedsters for my girlfriends new bike because it had 3" aggressive knobby tires on it that she does not need.

But.....

I would like to try them on my 80 mm Mulefuts first for fun. I assume they will mount up ok?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

MPE
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I really like the Vee Speedsters on my Minnesota 2.0. I have done several long charity road rides with them pumped up to almost 20 psi. They are smooth, quiet and seem to roll fast. I like chasing roadies on them! For rides less than 30 or 40 miles, i just leave my Jumbo Jim 4.0 on and deal with the hummmm.

mtbr member
    Don't wear out your knobby tyres, and make life a bit easier by using the Black Floyds.

I've used them in the UK for century road rides. They work well.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I did the Seagull Century (100 miles) on Maryland's flat Eastern Shore in 2012 on my Vertigo fat bike with Surly Black Floyd tires mounted to Marge Lite rims using tubes. It was fun at the beginning where I rolled along at a fast pace provided by the slicks and jumping into pelotons, but due to my fitness, I eventually blew up and limped back to the finish.

I did it because the bike was new and I was excited to use it, plus frankly, I usually find long road rides mind numbing and wanted to change things up a little compared to previous years I've done this event.

Five years ago, I got a lot of attention riding the fat bike at the event. Not sure how many would blink an eye nowadays.

Fat slicks have a LOT of oversteer because their grip is tenacious on the road. Turn a little and "WHOOMP!" you turn all the way. Gotta pay attention and minimize no-handed riding. This oversteer tendency also depends on your tire pressure (max it out to lessen the effect) and your bike geometry.

Finally, in my case, yes, tubeless would have helped tremendously at this event. The fat slicks are so wide and have such a large contact patch that it was grabbing all the thorns it could. I was fine until we came to one rest stop where there were all these little thorns on the ground, and I got at least 3 or 4 flats. (I fixed one, rode a little, then FOOOSH, another flat.) If you can mount it tubeless, I'd recommend it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/25092096

2012 Bike 180: Day 201 by ricky d, on Flickr
    thanks! Interesting info. Yep I reckon my options are as follows 1) get my Barbegazis setup tubeless and run them for it or 2) Invest in some Black Floyds or Vee Speedsters. If I run the Barbs I will put them up as high as they can go (probably 15-20psi). I'm all to familiar myself with the problems with thorns and running fat bikes with tubes. Did a nice 30mile run mix of towpaths and trails and ended up with 3 thorn punctures in one tyre. I think I was running them @ 8F/10R when it happened. If I run higher thorn intrusion is slightly less likely but still waaaay more common that a 2.1 or 2.25 MTB tyre. Also, I'm sure you're aware nothing goes down faster or more dramatically that a fat tyre LOL. The event I'm thinking about using them at is also frequented by a lot of novices on hybrids and not just road bikes. Saw a guy last year on a Cannondal with a Lefty fork and green tyres....he stood out. I got some weird looks from newbie club Roadies who had never seen something as obscene as a bright orange £400 Hardrock kitted out in SLX and Big Apple slick tyres. I think some thought it was a new type of CX bike...hahaha

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPE View Post
    I really like the Vee Speedsters on my Minnesota 2.0. I have done several long charity road rides with them pumped up to almost 20 psi. They are smooth, quiet and seem to roll fast. I like chasing roadies on them! For rides less than 30 or 40 miles, i just leave my Jumbo Jim 4.0 on and deal with the hummmm.
    are the Speedsters tubeless ready?

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    I have an older set of Vee 8's that I roll on road rides. Rode them the last two Ragbrai's with great success. Last year on 65's the year prior on 80's. I set them up tubeless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I commute 62mi round trip pretty regularly and when I use a JJ equipped Fatty my avg speed doesn't drop as much as I thought it would. On the JJ 4.0's (Bucksaw) I've managed a 16.8mph avg.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Athleteshop deliver to the UK and they have a range of Jumbo Jims, starting at ~£47 for liteskin 4.0s.

Back around late January, I used them for the first time, after thinking their prices were too good to be true (I asked about the store on bikeradar forum and got good responses). I got a 4.0 and 4.4 snakeskin JJ for ~£100, the delivery date prediction was true (within a week of ordering).

They are on Topcashback, but it was better for me to use a discount code they gave me at the time of signing up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 on the thorns, glass etc. with double or triple the contact patch, you are a lot more like to hit something sharp!

If I was going to do more dedicated road riding on my FB, I'd invest in a set of the Minnesota fattie slims and get some 2.0 tires with legit puncture resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk