Thread: Fat Ski

mtbr member

Fat Ski

Does this make any sense? This guy was really hawling ass in about 15 inches of snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Ski-fatski.jpg  

ouch....
    Interesting! Wonder how it handles?
    Riding.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pack your own trail?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Laramie, Wyoming
    In some snow conditions it would be good. I rode beside a guy last year that used one and it made me nervous. He lacked a lot of control on a packed groomer. Not to mention that the front braking leaves a lot to be desired.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    In some snow conditions it would be good. I rode beside a guy last year that used one and it made me nervous. He lacked a lot of control on a packed groomer. Not to mention that the front braking leaves a lot to be desired.
    I was looking at it trying to figure out what conditions it would be better for than a front tire and could not come up with much. I've ridden lots of times where my front wheel floated but my back broke through the crust, never the other way around. Maybe in heavy wet snow the ski would cut a path better and pack the snow down a bit for the rear, but it seems like the point of the ski is to ride on top of the snow, not pack it.

mtbr member
    I've used a front ski and it's perfect for loose snow conditions where front wheel wash-out is a problem, especially when bombing down a hill with curves. It carves turns like downhill skis, but is challenging to climb. Yesterday I could have used it; lots of soft snow churned up by the snowmobiles, bombing down a hill, front wheel washed, over the bars, face-planted into the snow. Glad snow is soft!

Laramie, Wyoming
    As campykid pointed out, the ski would eliminate the wheel sinking in deep snow, maybe while riding narrow trails in deep snow. Then the only thing one would have to concentrate on is forward movement. It would still bother me to not have the front brake on steep and fast descents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

fat ski

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Interesting! Wonder how it handles?
    I'd like to try it on the double pedal trike I am building
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Ski-image.jpg  

Fat Ski-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    So last Friday, as my wife and I were riding around the National Mall in front of the U.S. Capitol, we saw someone running across the street towards us, hollering and trying to get our attention. Apparently it was a reporter (WSB TV in Atlanta) who wanted to interview me about my ski bike. I thought it was funny, but I obliged. No idea if it actually made it on TV or not.

Ski Bike Interview by bundokbiker, on Flickr

In this vid I took last weekend, I bombed down a snowy hill with my Bud tire one day, then with the ski the next. The conditions changed slightly, but you can see a little bit o' wobble with the ski: Fat bike Ski | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

What does the ski do better? I'm not really sure myself. Whatever the case, I have it and it's a fun change once in a while.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have the 'bikeboard' that I strap onto my HuskerDu on my KHS fatty. It is a ton of fun and control is just fine. Whomever is nervous around this setup is just nervous... Mine is the 'bikeboards.net' product and it's easy to put on/take off. I keep it in my backpack (it sticks out a bit) when I go out in the deeper stuff so I can just jam through it without having to walk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Ski-img_3749.jpg  

Fat Ski-img_3788.jpg  

I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerock View Post
    I have the 'bikeboard' that I strap onto my HuskerDu on my KHS fatty. It is a ton of fun and control is just fine. Whomever is nervous around this setup is just nervous... Mine is the 'bikeboards.net' product and it's easy to put on/take off. I keep it in my backpack (it sticks out a bit) when I go out in the deeper stuff so I can just jam through it without having to walk.
    Just ordered up one of these from bikeboards. Snow is getting crazy deep here so hopefully this will be the ticket!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti