Thread: Fat & Single

mtbr member

Fat & Single

Fat & Single-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356230269.789777.jpg
    Today was the 1st time I rode the Mukluk as a single speed - kinda cool!

Bite Me.
    I could never make the SS thing work in snow. Nice looking rig though.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Looks sweet. By 'kinda cool' do you mean that you really like it, or that it was just ok? I would love to go SS for simplicity/easier maintenance but I think I'd miss gears!

mtbr member
    The current snow conditions are perfect in MN for SS. The trails are packed powder and the small hills have enough grip that I can climb. I have a 19 in the back - I did that so I would spin up the little (we don't have big hills) hills and not have to hammer and create ruts or spin out. It was a little slower on the flat, open sections, but fun.
    I plan to keep the bike SS until we get more snow. For the small investment of like $20 for a tensioner - it is worth the novelty. I just took the shifter and rear derailleur off as 1 unit so reinstalling is easy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    I could never make the SS thing work in snow. Nice looking rig though.
    Me too.

I found gearing SS for any depth of snow meant I ended up with a gear that was much too low to ride elsewhere.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That does look like a fun, simple ride, How much weight does it relieve? Have you been considering upgrading to the new Muk frame with adjustable dropouts to get rid of the tensioner?
    I love riding my single speed 29er on trails, maybe I'll try something like your setup on my Fatty, I am not going to see any snow anyways.
    Now, how about a 170mm SS hub? That would be slick. very wide flange spacing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    yeah,me too,I found gearing SS for any depth of snow meant I ended up with a gear that was much too low to ride elsewhere.