Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,503

    Fat ready Risse Trixxy


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    709
    They are saying available this Wednesday!(3-6-13)
    Trixxxy Fat Air 4" fork, Risse Racing Technology Online Store
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat ready Risse Trixxy-trixxxy-fat-air-fork.jpg  


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    709
    I wonder if they lightened it up much when reducing the travel.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,035
    They lightened it by switching to an air spring. The quoted weight is 6.5 lbs.

    It also has a rake of only 28 mm, which is going to increase trail over what most of us are used to. Most fat forks currently available have 40-50 mm of rake.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    They lightened it by switching to an air spring. The quoted weight is 6.5 lbs.

    It also has a rake of only 28 mm, which is going to increase trail over what most of us are used to. Most fat forks currently available have 40-50 mm of rake.



    hmm...my necro with the moonie fork has like 43 mm, so that will make the head angle steeper and give it a higher bb height right? Too steep maybe....
    Awesome to see suspension options, lets hope for more!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    hmm...my necro with the moonie fork has like 43 mm, so that will make the head angle steeper and give it a higher bb height right? Too steep maybe....
    Awesome to see suspension options, lets hope for more!
    the taller Axle to Crown of the Trixxe will slacken the head angle, increasing trail, then the reduced rake will increase trail even more. With that much trail it will have a lot of flop at slow speeds, but be really stable at high speeds.

    decreases rake does not affect head angle, but both rake and head angle determine trail, which is what most determines how the steering feels. With most newer frames having really slack head angles, especially after raising the front with suspension, we need the suspension forks coming out to have 50-60mm of rake, so the bikes don't self steer, and feel really sluggish on flat ground, and when climbing.

    I have noticed this with trail designed 29er frames with slack head angles as well. the suspension forks just don't have enough rake for the slack head angles.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,035
    Since the crowns are both pinch bolt, it may be possible to fine-tune the A to C a small amount by sliding the fork legs up or down in the crowns.

    The Risse web site lists the A to C dimension for the Trixxxy as 503 mm- I'm assuming that's for the 4" travel version. Minus 20 mm for sag, figure about 483 mm A to C, so it will jack up the front end of most fat frames- Surly in particular.

    It occurs to me that the new fat version of the fork may not necessarily use the same rake and A to C numbers that are quoted on the website for the downhill version. Would definitely be worth checking with Risse on that if anyone is thinking of getting one.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    the taller Axle to Crown of the Trixxe will slacken the head angle, increasing trail, then the reduced rake will increase trail even more. With that much trail it will have a lot of flop at slow speeds, but be really stable at high speeds.

    decreases rake does not affect head angle, but both rake and head angle determine trail, which is what most determines how the steering feels. With most newer frames having really slack head angles, especially after raising the front with suspension, we need the suspension forks coming out to have 50-60mm of rake, so the bikes don't self steer, and feel really sluggish on flat ground, and when climbing.

    I have noticed this with trail designed 29er frames with slack head angles as well. the suspension forks just don't have enough rake for the slack head angles.


    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've spent a bit of time on a Kona Honzo, really liked that slack set up, I believe that has around 46mm of offset. Not so sure how that will relate to a pugs with the longer stays, and all the other differences. I could be just comparing apples or oranges....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,035
    A suspension fork is going to make any of the Surly fat frames pretty slack, as they are not suspension corrected. Some folks like that, some don't...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    A suspension fork is going to make any of the Surly fat frames pretty slack, as they are not suspension corrected. Some folks like that, some don't...
    Out of the main brands in NA which are suspension corrected?

    - Salsa Muk is suspension corrected for an 80mm fork
    - Surly Pugs is not suspension corrected, but the fork is only 20mm shorter than the Muk and the HT angle is 1 deg steeper so it's essentially the same once you throw a suspension fork on
    - not sure about 907 or Fatback???
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    48
    On the surly website (frame highlights) it says that both the pugs and moonlander are corrected for 100mm suspension forks.

  12. #12
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    A suspension fork is going to make any of the Surly fat frames pretty slack, as they are not suspension corrected. Some folks like that, some don't...
    Yeah, here he goes talking about Lefty's again....

    The short build (480 a to c) Lefty actually comes in right about correct for a Pug, once sag is factored in. IIRC, Pugs are 465 a to c.

    Cool that someone is paying attention to fat squish needs though. Be nice if they did a single crown version though, really no need for a dual with 4" of travel!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,292
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The short build (480 a to c) Lefty actually comes in right about correct for a Pug, once sag is factored in. IIRC, Pugs are 465 a to c.
    Pugs forks are 447cm but have a 1 deg steeper head angle than the Muk which has a 468mm fork.

    A-C on my 100mm RS Reba is ~505mm unsagged so say 485mm sagged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bevalhalla View Post
    On the surly website (frame highlights) it says that both the pugs and moonlander are corrected for 100mm suspension forks.
    They do say that, but it doesn't seem right. Keep in mind they say the Karate Monkey is suspension corrected to 80mm with a fork length of 468mm.

    Maybe they got those descriptions backwards?

    BTW - the Krampus has a 483mm fork and Surly notes it's suspension corrected for a 120mm fork.
    Last edited by vikb; 03-05-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #14
    4.0" fully suspended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    401
    Nice to see but room for improvement in future.
    Granted the duc32 is no longer in production and can only fit a 4.0" tire with a 50mm rim but it is 2.5 lbs lighter and has more travel.
    Also curious as to 28mm rake- makes sense for a downhill rig. Fatbikes at low pressure I thought experience a good degree of pneumatic trail. One of the reasons I always chalked up difficulty to initiating a turn at high speeds, lower tire pressure, dirt/snow conditions...why add more trail?
    Mind can always be changed by riding it.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,035
    The A to C and rake figures I posted are for the standard downhill version- the new "fat" version MAY be different.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Pugs forks are 447cm but have a 1 deg steeper head angle than the Muk which has a 468mm fork.

    A-C on my 100mm RS Reba is ~505mm unsagged so say 485mm sagged.



    They do say that, but it doesn't seem right. Keep in mind they say the Karate Monkey is suspension corrected to 80mm with a fork length of 468mm.

    Maybe they got those descriptions backwards?

    BTW - the Krampus has a 483mm fork and Surly notes it's suspension corrected for a 120mm fork.
    Yeah, that doesn't really make any sense. No 29er suspension fork comes anywhere close to the A to C of any of Surly's fat frames.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    Nice to see but room for improvement in future.
    Granted the duc32 is no longer in production and can only fit a 4.0" tire with a 50mm rim but it is 2.5 lbs lighter and has more travel.
    A
    My Nate's (3.8) on Rolling darill's (yes much wider rim) are not even remotely close to fit on my Duc's, hell they barely fit on my SC32 with only 1/8" on each side to spare.

  18. #18
    4.0" fully suspended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    401

    Fat ready Risse Trixxy

    Imagine the duc32 with a widened "H" And could fit a clownshoe. That is why I think there is still room for Risse to improve. Still would pick a lefty over the Risse w/ known specs.
    Husker du on my 50mm speedway uma has no problems on the duc32.
    Should have clearance for a Nate with some occasional buzzing when suspension is active.
    Rolling Daryl is 82mm- nope. Marge lite might have some success.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    65
    This is my 2013 Necromancer.
    This fork is fresh from Risse. It is an old school fork (1998) very early production for them. I sent it had the travel reduced to 4''(100mm) and the Air conversion done to it.

    I have not had a chance to ride this thing more than to start tuning the air pressure and rebound.

    I laced up a non drilled rolling darryl (83mm) to a 20x110mm hub. The clearance on each side of the tire is 3/8'' or a bit more That is with a 3.8'' Larry. I think that will be sufficient for this ride, but time will tell.

    I like the headtube angle and I also lowered the clamps as low as I could on the sanctions to reduce the height. This fork also requires you to use a 185 minimum rotor diameter and 203 would be better. 160mm won't work

    I need to get out and ride this week but I should be able to report on how it rolls.
    what a bummer it won't let me post pics yet.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    65




  21. #21
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,503
    ride impressions?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    65
    The fork is still completely in the "break in" phase. (tight seals and tuning the rebound). So far I am really enjoying the ride of it. Weight was 2lbs more than stock. The risse in this application is very stiff. The steering is quite a bit precise and has a nice to feel for it. The 4'' of travel doesn't seem like too much travel but with the Air control it seems like i may be able to all but lock this thing out. Have plans for a big excursion this weekend in the fleeing snow. More of a report then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •