Thread: Fat KOMmie

Bad cat!

Fat KOMmie

Not to kick off a Strava sucks/is cool debate, but assuming you ride with the spy satellites, anyone finding they do surprisingly well on their fatbike? Just kind of got hooked on Strava and the 907 with a light wheelset, dropper post and Lefty is a pretty damn devastating trail machine... Got a KOM last night on a steep climb, have another on a downhill segment, and generally am up in the top 10 for results.

Finding the steeper the climb/descent, the better the bike does against it's skinny brethren. Gravity helps. Tight turns good as well (massive traction). Rolling stuff, where big gear stamping and lots of acceleration is required--not good. Partially because I have some low 1x9 gearing on there... But I get smoked on those kinds of segments.

Disclaimer--I always yield, to everything, every time (unless I'm grunting up and some yahoo mountain biker is coming down at me). And I don't live in a place where the segments have been ridden 10000 times by 2000 people, so take that for what it's worth...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat KOMmie-img_0164.jpg  

[NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Jun 2009
    I'm riding a Pug and find that I'm way more comfortable and confident (faster) than I ever was on the AM I used to ride. I've got a few top 10's that I was stunned to see.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Pugsley Neck Romancer
    Surly CC
    Fatties Fit Fine

mtbr member
    I am often my fastest on semi-smooth, not-too-techy climbs (don't have a lefty or dropper), but I'm never fastest on the descents. Fat or not, it's still fully rigid and my trails are too bumpy to go as fast as I can on my 5.5" FS 29er.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Kids these days... I remember, not too long ago, when we rode fat bikes as a simple means of enjoying the outdoors. Oh yeah, strava sucks.

Jun 2009
    Yeah, Strava Kills! It is however a great way to keep track of my rides. Since I'm riding everyday, I like to keep track of routes, mileage and time for future rides and to measure my progress. My favorite rides are those without any 'segments'.
    So, you can't ride a fattie, enjoy the outdoors and use Strava?
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Pugsley Neck Romancer
    Surly CC
    Fatties Fit Fine

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I do keep track of my rides with a Garmin, but it's between me and myself. I do occasionally race, which to me is the only true way to see who is fastest, but I never even consider myself a contender. I just measure myself up against how I did previously. I guess I'm too old to wrap my head around the whole KOM thing.

Fat Biker
    I like pitting my Fattie singlespeed against my skinny singlespeed times to see where I'm faster on big tires. I find myself pretty even on serious climbs and twisty flats. I agree, it's the areas where many accelerations are needed that slow me up the most. Although most of the people I ride with can't tell the difference.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

PRETENDURO
    Theres a not-so-fun steep loose boring-ass fireroad cardioclimb I ride on a semi-regular basis which although has an average uphill grade of a seemingly meek 11%, has sections which exceed 25%. My fastest time up it on my 9:zero:7 (all 39 pounds of it!!!) as gauged by Strava was 1 hour and 7 minutes exactly 1 minute behind a guy who used to be an XC racer for Specialized, riding most likely a hardtail 29er S-works factory bike. Oh yeah, the climb spans 8.8 miles to the top and gains over 3,000 feet of climbing.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Bad cat!
    ^^^Brutal climb LPS...Nice job.

Being my only bike at the moment, I took my 907 to the local beer league XC race last night. Good times, but my 1x9 setup decided to start dropping the chain--every lap! Same downhill section. Oh well, with that I finished 10th but the beer tasted sweeter on a fatbike. Still fun--and fast. "Fat as you can" is always a valid approach but I think they're equally valid as a straight-up, all purpose trail bike. Love to see one out of the box with a suspension fork, slackish hta, and shortest possible chain stays, they'd fit in really well on that bandwagon...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    ^^^Brutal climb LPS...Nice job.
    Thanks! Did this today on my fatbike, despite temperatures that reached up into the high-90F range:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    No KOMs on this ride (below) from yesterday, but the average temperature was 95F throughout the duration of the ride with a peak of 117F - unsurpassed uphill offroad traction courtesy of my 9:zero:7 fatbike with Surly Nate tires (less than 12 miles of paved riding).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    No KOMs on this ride (below) from yesterday, but the average temperature was 95F throughout the duration of the ride with a peak of 117F - unsurpassed uphill offroad traction courtesy of my 9:zero:7 fatbike with Surly Nate tires (less than 12 miles of paved riding).
    Nice. Putting in some long rides, dude! Any shade in them hills?

Bad cat!
    Hope you have a beer wagon support vehicle...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Nice. Putting in some long rides, dude! Any shade in them hills?
    Almost no shade going up El Sereno (where the peak temperature of 117F popped up), but spots of shade here and there in other places. Most brutal ride Ive done in terms of environmental extremes.