Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Here's a roundup of some of my fat front setups before I made the jump to the full fat shebang:

My wife's 26" Quiring Ti with a 26" On-One Inbred fork (left) and my Matt Chester Mutinyman (right) with Vicious Cycles/Jones steel fat fork:

26" thrift store Giant with Inbred fork which was on wife's Quiring:

29" Performance with previously mentioned Jones fat fork:

Jones party:

Jones with Lefty (blasphemy!) :
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyberglass View Post
    ]

Here's mine... We rarely get snow in Las Vegas buy I love how it rolls in the desert!
    I don't recognize that frame.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

For your health.
    Lets hear more about the Lefty Jones! I was wondering if it was worth my time to put an 80mm suspension fork on my Jones just to see what it would be like.

oracle
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I don't recognize that frame.
    The frame is a Motobecane Fantom 29 size 13". Its not a full fat frame but just a regular 29er.
    you don't have to be great to get started... you have to get started to be GREAT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyberglass View Post
    The frame is a Motobecane Fantom 29 size 13". Its not a full fat frame but just a regular 29er.
    Yeah, I figured it was a 29er, but the size and shape through me off because it's such a small frame. In the picture, I thought maybe it was a 17 inch frame, which would have made it's shape and angles pretty unusual.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd share my franken bike. Yesterday I converted my Lynskey Ridgeline to half-fat (thanks MikeSee). Only one ride on here so far, but me likey. Frame started out as a 26", then I crammed some 650b wheels in, then the fat front idea hit. The rides been a 2 year evolution of parts and I think I've settled on the current for now. It was never meant to be a weight weenie build, it just sorta ended up damn light. Let me know what you think.

20" Lynskey Ridgeline SS frame
    650b Stans rear wheel, Paul SS hub
    Paul 135 front hub
    Carver fork
    Escalator tire
    X9 crank
    Homebrewed 33t spiderless ring. I might be the last person to receive one!
    Groovy Luv Handle in steel. Best bar made, in my opinion
    Hope discs
    Hope stem
    Random bits.

23.04lbs. I still need to convert the front to tubeless. Plenty of cacti here to puncture the tire. First tube I've ran in over 5 years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Love looking and reading about these bikes! Currently turning my surly karate monkey into a Half fat w a salsa enabler fork. Could you all direct me towards a rim suitable for it? Probably won't do too well in the snow so I figure it will mostly see single track summer dirt. (I could be wrong...will it do okay in snow?). Someone told me to just do a 65 mm rim for a more rounder front tire profile. Should I go w an 82 mm rim or just stay around a marge/marge lite? Please help me with some field tested opinions. Cant afford a fat bike right now. Thanks! Oh, anyone have a rim they want to part w, hub too, wheel for that matter?

mtbr member
    This was the result of a little too much excitment.

I'm collecting parts for a fat hardtail, and have wheels, and lefty already. While I had my SS 29er in the stand, and was doing some maintainance I got carried away and fat fronted it with the lefty. I then fitted a spiker pro tyre on the rear. Been riding snow trails over winter on it, and its a blast.
    Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-8470438800_19a123531b_b.jpg
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Jones steel diamond

Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-image.jpg

Here's my Jones steel 29 with a Surly Larry 3.8 front and a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 tubeless in the rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

My slingshot ripper 29 with an enabler fork.
    Chris
    2012 Surly Necro Pugs
    Slingshot Ripper 29

mtbr member
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper

Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-img_20130330_164724r.jpg

Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-img_20130330_172842r.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Krampus with bud on darryl on enabler up front. the 3" wheels just don't have the cush that a 4.8" has! I'm loving this setup, but I wish the fork were a tiny bit longer for the fastest descents. Not really sure it matters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Here's a roundup of some of my fat front setups before I made the jump to the full fat shebang:

My wife's 26" Quiring Ti with a 26" On-One Inbred fork (left) and my Matt Chester Mutinyman (right) with Vicious Cycles/Jones steel fat fork:

26" thrift store Giant with Inbred fork which was on wife's Quiring:

29" Performance with previously mentioned Jones fat fork:

Jones party:

Jones with Lefty (blasphemy!) :
    Is that the On-One 26er CroMo fork fitting that Larry (On-One CroMo 26er MTB Fork 440mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Curious if anyone has attempted to a Surly Knard up front on a 28mm Velocity Blunt rim? Probable tendency to roll at lower psi, I would think? how about a little higher psi

mtbr member
    Not mine, but I think this (3/4 fat?) beast that I spotted last weekend deserves sharing. At least I was - putting it mildly - nonplussed. The rear tyre was a 2.5" Dissent mounted on Large Marge rim, and there would have been space for a much fatter tire (26x2.75 came to my mind). The frame was a FireEye Flame with Salsa fork.

&

mtbr member
    Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-hanging.jpgFat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-fatty2.jpgFat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-speed.jpg

The 29mph was from this morning on the way to work . Fastest I've moved on the fat front on a flat / straight so far. Was really enjoying the ride and the road was quiet .... apart from the roar of the knard Sad that I ran out of road before I broke 30 though.

Love my fat front and can't wait to get a full fatty !

Next for me is playing with Fat Front sus via a set of Maverick SC32's

Black Sheep rising
    Impulse control failed me once again...

Larry was swapped out for a Knard. Some cockpit changes as well. Very nimble bike, even for a fat bastard like me.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Did I catch a niner?
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    I'm looking forward to having this as a permanent set-up...

I was only able to take a couple laps around the block on the demo wheel, but I think this will be the preferred front wheel set-up for this bike.
    Pete,

I look forward to seeing this this fall on some river bottoms adventures.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Switching to a Moonlander frame I had a spare fork from my Necromancer to play with. This raised the front end of my Trek 520 by about 4cm so there isn't much standover clearance left.

I went for a short ride and the handling feels odd. The front is smooth but I feel all the bumps through the rear tire. Very heavy feeling steering at low speed due to narrow bars. And on each pedal stroke the front wheel has a tendency to twist back and forth. In the drops I was getting a little bouncing from the front tire.

Lacking a front brake I didn't want to get too crazy in my testing. Since the Trek 520 has v-brakes I can run a mechanical disc brake up front. I'll do a few more test rides before I decide whether I want to run it like this for the winter.

Fat Front Set-Ups: Post Your Pics-bimg_0941.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    my monkey

Last edited by woo10g; 02-22-2014 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Pardon my ignorance,what is the advantage of such a set up?i tend to believe the opposite(big in the back)would be more effective

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On a rigid bike, the fat front tire can run a very low pressure, which take the (a lot) of sting out of the ride. The fat front also has crazy traction leaning and braking. Since most brake forces are sent towards the front, the 29er now stops even better than when it had it's original 2 point whatever x 29" tire on it.

I also looks bad as all get out. That tire would even come close to fitting on the rear of the karate monkey. On a pugsley it's a different story.

I have almost the exact same set up and love it! My other bikes don't get ridden nearly as much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggy View Post
    Pardon my ignorance,what is the advantage of such a set up?i tend to believe the opposite(big in the back)would be more effective

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggy View Post
    For my HKEK fat front it had more to do with winter riding and being a dirtbag ski bum with little money. For years I had it set up with allwweathersports Snocat 26*44mm wheels with Nokian Freddies Revenz 26*2.3 tires studded. This winter I put Salsa Enabler fork used $75 + Vicious Cycles Fat Sheba and a Larry for $150 and disk brake from the parts bin $free. So for a fun factor of $225 (or the cost of a Dillinger tire) I'm having a fun winter. Yes not as much fun as full fat and less capable but it is more fun and more capable than running a 26er with wide rims.
    Snowcat Rims

Gary Fisher Grateful Dead edition hoo koo e koo, single speed 32 22 gearing, Snocat wheels, nokian hakka 300 2.1 studs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

In progress

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saiko View Post

In progress
    Now that's one I haven't seen before. Details when you're ready.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast