Fat boy Mod Moderator

fat front bikes and rim width?

I'm looking to build up a fat front XC/Trail bike here soon... I always thought the fat front would be perfect for our trails so I'm finally going to jump in

for building it up i'm a little confused... it seems that for float you want as wide of a rim as you want... but on fat front bikes i'm seeing a lot of the fat front guys (including jeff jones bikes) are only going with a 50mm up front...

what am I missing?... i'm considering a big fat sheba just to try it out (price is nice) but i'm wondering if I should find something narrower like a trials rims?

any thoughts or observations?
    thanks
    mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I used a 40mm rim for my half fat. It's a compromise that allowed me to use the fat tyre in a normal fork I had. The actual width of the tyre is less than you'd get on a proper fat rim, but it's much fatter than any other tyre you can get.

One possible advantage - narrow rims are lighter.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use the 70mm rim from Jeff Jones, which I'm pretty sure is actually and Speedway Uma. I've not tried a narrower rim but expect it would feel similar, then again the weight difference is relatively small so why not go wider?...If I was doing it again I think a 65mm Marge Lite would be top of the list to try.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I used a 40mm rim for my half fat. It's a compromise that allowed me to use the fat tyre in a normal fork I had. The actual width of the tyre is less than you'd get on a proper fat rim, but it's much fatter than any other tyre you can get.

One possible advantage - narrow rims are lighter.
    what fork are you using?

i'm going for the extra cushion from the fat tire... I enjoy the simplicity of rigid but there are some rooty parts of the trail that made me a bit nervous and feel a little out of control while running rigid if I went to fast though there... that all went away with a suspension fork but I don't need the big hit plushness of a suspension fork around here me thinks

ishouldbeworking how much was the fork/wheel combo from Jeff?... any plans on moving to a jones frame down the road?...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    from memory it was around $500 for the wheel and $250 for the fork, the Jones fork is very short so it only really works on a 26" bike like my Cotic above, or a none suspension corrected 29er like the Ragley TD:1 I'm building.

I like the idea of a Jones, but a ti version is a bit much for me right now, and the steel frames seem to have a few two many comprimises for me at least. Maybe one day....

mtbr member
    I'd pass on the fat sheba if at all possible. Put that money towards something narrower and lighter.
    You won't regret it a year from now. I went from a Rolling Darryl to a Marge Lite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Working on a fat front build right now using the Salsa Enabler fork, Fat Sheba rim, and Larry tire. Still working on collecting parts and wondering what you ended up doing?

mtbr member
    To my mind, the fat front bike has to be thought of differently than a full fat bike. The floatation you want with a full fat bike is to get you over really soft surfaces: snow, sand, mud bogs. To me, a fat front bike is a trail fun bike. The wide rims and fat tire allow me to barge through/over roots with a rigid fork. Floatation is not part of the equation. I think that's why a lot of fat front bikes are 50mm. I would like to have the Marge lite myself, just to save weight. RIght now I have the Jones 50mm rim, 1150 gram Husker Du, and a 250ish gram qtube. Can't get much lighter a fat front.

Bad cat!
    To me, a fat front bike is a trail fun bike. The wide rims and fat tire allow me to barge through/over roots with a rigid fork. Floatation is not part of the equation. I think that's why a lot of fat front bikes are 50mm. I would like to have the Marge lite myself, just to save weight. RIght now I have the Jones 50mm rim, 1150 gram Husker Du, and a 250ish gram qtube. Can't get much lighter a fat f
    ront.

+1 on this. Marge lite, q-tube, and Nate on the front of my Kona unit (enabler fork), having a blast with this setup singlespeeding on the dry trails. Looking down at that big old nate gobbling up the trail is confidence inspiring, and the marge lite was a very easy wheel to lace up (and I'm no expert).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am running a cutout rolling daryl, specialized tube and a Husker du on my fat front Jones. Just alot of fun on the trails