mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg
    Enjoying the snow. Just got my Specialized Fat boy and put on 18 miles on my first 2 rides in the snow. Really a lot of fun. Trails are approx 8 inches of snow fairly well packed by foot traffic and a few fat bikes. Tires measure approx 4.5" wide with no weight on them. Not sure what pressure I am running, gotta get a low pressure gauge. Guessing around 8psi. Like the stock build pretty well but will be upgrading some things. Brakes howl like made when cold but stop as soon as they get some friction heat from braking. Handles well and much more balanced and climbs better than I had feared. Only critique so far is that is came a it out of tune, but I guess that is no surprise. Never had a bike that didn't need some adjusting.

And I cannot figure out how to delete the sideways picture...sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Conditions were crazy this time out. 1/8" of ice under 2" fresh snow, first tracks in near blizzard conditions. All rocks and even the dirt packed trail were coated in ice so traction was tricky. Rode 95% of the trail but it was a struggle. Super fun again. Each time out is different...

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-_dsc4083sm.jpg

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-_dsc4097sm.jpg

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-_dsc4166sm.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice pics thanks. Cool graphic on the handlebars. Spring around the corner? It's supposed to get above freezing here today. First time since Nov.

Loser
    We were talking about this today in the parking lot after the ride, unlike riding on dirt, every snow ride is different. Some of my friends can't deal with that, I guess some people won't ever get the fat bike thing. I love the variability, even if the rides are not technical sometimes.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    We were talking about this today in the parking lot after the ride, unlike riding on dirt, every snow ride is different. Some of my friends can't deal with that, I guess some people won't ever get the fat bike thing. I love the variability, even if the rides are not technical sometimes.
    The variable trail conditions keeps it fresh. I enjoy being out there no matter the challenge the conditions present. To be out and peddaling is always fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy

Thanks for the pics. As a ram alum and fat boy owner I really appreciated them

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I rode my first Clunker in FC in 1978! I was smitten.

Now I ride a fatty everyday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post

Now I ride a fatty everyday.
    That's what she said!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy

Thanks for the pics!

Any additional thoughts on how you like the bike,? How it handled, anything you'd change, etc?

Loser
    Not my bike, but I'll answer. The Fatboy handles really nicely, it has a very mountain bike feel to it. It accelerates really well. The only changes I made were to get a riser bar and a stem with a bit more rise to it, convert to tubeless (split tube worked great) and changed out the seatpost, just because I had a Tompson sitting around. The bars are very low, so I would count on having to get new bars and/or stem - they will contact the top tube if they swing around (on a Large anyway).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Thanks for the pics!

Any additional thoughts on how you like the bike,? How it handled, anything you'd change, etc?
    x2 on most of what Jisch said. Very comfortable geometry, I felt right at home just like on my other mountain bikes. Suprisingly light and nimble feeling. With all that traction I find you can really push in the corners and the bike holds its line confidently. With a little tap on the brakes you can whip the rear around moto style - and no trail damage. I am still getting to know how it behaves but so far it has been way better than I would have thought. As mentioned, a little low in the front so I am playing with bar and stem combos to get it where I like. I am riding platform pedals and have the seat post set a bit lower than usual because I find I touch down a bit more, so the bars do not feel overly low on my large, although I do have a chip in the paint from the above mentioned handlebar to frame contact. The crazy trail conditions that change day to day make me appreciate the technical capabilities of this bike, both climbs and descends better than expected. I thought it would feel more sluggish like a few other fatties I have rode. I have not yet had any trouble with freezing drive components or excessive snow/ice buildup. My only complaint is that the brake pads howl when cold, so for the first 30 seconds of a descent, I'm that guy piercing the peaceful silence with my screaming brakes. I will probably replace the stock brakes with the trusty Avid BB7's.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystance View Post
    The variable trail conditions keeps it fresh. I enjoy being out there no matter the challenge the conditions present. To be out and peddaling is always fun.
    I'm really enjoying riding the Fatback on powder days... but all other times (especially after it warms up and becomes hardpack) I honestly like the 29er with Nokiak studs on my beater wheels, set up tubeless at about 20 psi. Maybe I am too much of a weight weenie, but I've moved past lugging a 29ish+ pound rigid bike (with most of that weight in rotating weight!) uphill on trails. It's a love hate with the wheel weight...

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-fatback-20140202_095819.jpg  

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-fatback-20140202_095900.jpg  

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-img_6463.jpeg  

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-img_6448.jpeg  

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-img_6484.jpeg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    I'm really enjoying riding the Fatback on powder days... but all other times (especially after it warms up and becomes hardpack) I honestly like the 29er with Nokiak studs on my beater wheels, set up tubeless at about 20 psi. Maybe I am too much of a weight weenie, but I've moved past lugging a 30+ pound rigid bike uphill on trails. It's a love hate with the wheel weight...
    Is it really the wheel weight and climbing? Or is it that you prefer the suspension as well?

Loser
    I ride a 29er FS (RIP9) for my faster rides. It weighs about the same as my Fatboy, while its slightly faster uphill, down technical descents and through rock gardens there is no comparison. The RIP9 is way faster and at speed, way more fun, on icy, bumpy foot compacted trails the FS is probably more fun too. That said I really enjoy the fat bike on dirt or those bumpy trails, you just have to go slower and let your knees augment and modulate the bounce in the tires. Its not as comfortable as the FS for sure. On really hard ice a studded tire wins, fat or otherwise.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Is it really the wheel weight and climbing? Or is it that you prefer the suspension as well?
    Yes and yes, depending on my mood.

Fresh snow the fat bike is more fun and obviously way better traction. Later in the week when the snow packs out and/or freezes over I like either a rigid singlespeed or even the FS 100mm bike with studded wheels.

The full suspension studded bike is amazing. I'm saving my money for a pair of 45North studded Nicotine's for next year.

Locally in Colorado, I am seeing a trend for 26" Fat Bikes going down to smaller/lighter tires during the summer months to bring the gross rotational weight down. I think some of the new carbon rims and lighter wheel builds will help, but as of right now I don't see how you guys riding 4.5"+ tires with 100mm rims and two pound tubes are finding enjoyment going uphill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-1-a9c-nokians.jpg  

Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy-jet9rdo-dec-2011.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    ... I don't see how you guys riding 4.5"+ tires with 100mm rims and two pound tubes are finding enjoyment going uphill.
    For me - not all rides are about speed, climbing may be a bit more effort on the fatty, but really its not that bad especially when I'm out solo or with slower riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I do not feel that the weight of the wheels are all that much of a burden. Maybe it is mindset but I do not notice the weight, I just pedal. I have never been worried about weight much - my full suspension trailbike is built up at 30lbs and that is the same as the Fatboy. I also enjoy the fat bike because it does slow me down a bit and the ride takes on less of a serious tone and it is just about fun. Most rides have a competative edge to them and I love ripping the trails aggressively, but I am appreciating the laid back approach that the fatty gives me. The change is good. I plan on building a slightly less fat wheels set for summer trail riding, although the fatty will not replace my trail bike for regular duty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

So learning alot, first day on dirt with the fatty. Very fun but the fatty does not compare to my Yeti 5.75 on dry trail, speed wise. It is very fun, just not as fast. I rode approx 12 psi or so and felt little bounce. I think the bounce that is reported usually has to do with pedaling technique. Any time I bounce I have found that shifting gears to a spinning cadence smooths it out. I usually average mid nine mph and on the fatty it is around mid seven. The traction is amazing, you can push the corners, you can crawl up crazy technical obstacles. Climbing is surprisingly good, just gear down and grind it out. Flat land feels like you are wearing sandbags. Downhill smooth is awesome, the bike handles much lighter than you would think. Downhill rough is hard and I resort to picking slower technical lines down the rough steeps. New lines are used because the fat tires do not fit through all the narrow gaps I use on other bikes. The bike is an off-road beast, grinding through, over, or around anything. Traction!

I will typically ride my Yeti Most of the dry spring, summer, and fall. Occasionally bringing out the fatty to keep it fresh. It was really fun feeling for new lines and changing up the pace. I will ride the fatty in the winter and sloppy edges of fall and spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Fat in Fort Collins - Specialized Fatboy

Great picture. But don't let the fatty fall into the lake!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Put another few miles on the trail and continue to learn the nuances of snow conditions. Rode at a Nordic center near Winter Park on groomed trail. With 2-3" fresh on groomed the first day in temps around 28F in blizzard condition. Traction was good on flat but on uphill was like ball bearings, half a rotation of slip with each rotation. Brutal. Boot tracked single track has so much more traction. Each day is completely unique. The second day was fresh corduroy in colder but clear weather. Again the groomed track seems to have a slick layer on top that makes uphills tough and downhill thrilling with great drifting. Fat is fun!
    Changed out stem for a NukeProof with same dimentions but dropped it 1/4" with spacer swap and changed bars to 760mm with 1/2" rise. After install hand position slightly raised but still good weight on the front tire. Wider bars feel good but worried about narrow trail sections. Shall see...
    Oh yea, also super fast yellow ducktape rim liners.

Anchorage, AK
    That's a nice bike for sure man. I narrowed my bars quite a bit. Not into the wide bar thing. I ride a lot of single track where its almost like half track in sections!
    two wheel livin'..